Film Parasite (2019)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
One of best films I have seen in years. Really dark humour. Great script. Great acting. Great plot twists.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Actually the current plan is to make a six part HBO show, and Bong Joon Ho will be involved.
Still don't think it will work the same in English though. There's not only a class divide discussed in the film but the culture is so different to S Korea.

evil_geko

I loved the movie, but find it quite overrated with statements like "best movie of the decade", "best movie ever" etc...it wasn't even best movie of the year for me, I loved The Lighthouse much more, travesty that it wasn't nominated at least for Willem Dafoe!

OleBoiii

I loved the movie, but find it quite overrated with statements like "best movie of the decade", "best movie ever" etc..
This got me thinking... Parasite may in fact be my favorite movie of the decade!

Since I'm a bit of a movie nerd I've written down all my favorite movies(roughly 50) and given them a star rating from 1 to 3(the latter being the best). Every time I come across a particularly enjoyable movie, I add it to the list along with a star rating. The 2010's look like this:

3 stars:
None

2 stars:

127 Hours
Burning
Django Unchained
Get Out
Parasite
The Wind Rises
Wolf Children

1 star:

Coco
Dunkirk
Inception
Nightcrawler
The Babadook

OleBoiii

sad that the movie needed an oscar to get the attention
Makes sense. Most people aren't movie buffs and many movie buffs also have a tendency to only stick with English language movies...

I saw Parasite when it was relatively new so I'm a bit conflicted when it comes to these awards. Not so much because I want "hipster creds", but rather because the Oscars have gotten a bad reputation, both among critics and the general audience. I can already see it coming: the general audience will look for a way to dislike it and maybe find the class struggle theme to be preachy. Movie snobs on the other hand, will analyze the movie to death.

Last edited:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Overrated movie. It's very good, but nothing special. Social drama blah blah. Korea has given us much better movies. Parasite reminded me a bit of the Chilean movie "La Nana" ("The Maid"). I guess any person living in an arrivist country, will find related to the movie.
7.5/10

thepolice123

This got me thinking... Parasite may in fact be my favorite movie of the decade!

Since I'm a bit of a movie nerd I've written down all my favorite movies(roughly 50) and given them a star rating from 1 to 3(the latter being the best). Every time I come across a particularly enjoyable movie, I add it to the list along with a star rating. The 2010's look like this:

3 stars:
None

2 stars:

127 Hours
Burning
Django Unchained
Get Out
Parasite
The Wind Rises
Wolf Children

1 star:

Coco
Dunkirk
Inception
Nightcrawler
The Babadook
Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, Sicario, Ex Machina, Fury Road?

Overrated movie. It's very good, but nothing special. Social drama blah blah. Korea has given us much better movies. Parasite reminded me a bit of the Chilean movie "La Nana" ("The Maid"). I guess any person living in an arrivist country, will find related to the movie.
7.5/10
I think its similar to Get Out in the sense that they both got plus points for the social commentary and got overrated.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Been meaning to watch this since Dumbfoundead has mentioned it a few times before in his podcasts.

Funnily enough Dumb actually has a song about Asian representation in Hollywood/Oscars. He'll be happy that the statues weren't the only yellow people at the Oscars this year.

evil_geko

7.5/10
Pretty much, there are quite a few Korean movies I find much better than this.

Rooney1987

As soon as it won I had a feeling the overrated comments would flow in.

Question about the ending, the cinema experience was bad talking people in my cinema so I missed a couple of things-

Do they explain how the kid survives 2 head shots with the heavy stone? I've seen some people on social suggest the second shot actually missed and just hit the floor. Still first one should have killed him surely and if the second shot hit him, he couldn't survive could he.

mu4c_20le

To be fair, I am more surprised at the near perfect scores on rottentomatoes and metacritic. It was good, but not great as others have said. Personally I thought it started out brilliantly, but started slowly going downhill after the rain.

Not a big fan of the ending either... in the beginning I was pleasantly surprised at the plot and the set-ups as it kind of resembled The Royal Tenenbaums (or some other smartly written comedy focused on quirky families) but it got a bit too crazy and OTT in the end, even for a korean flick.

thepolice123

Question about the ending, the cinema experience was bad talking people in my cinema so I missed a couple of things-

Do they explain how the kid survives 2 head shots with the heavy stone? I've seen some people on social suggest the second shot actually missed and just hit the floor. Still first one should have killed him surely and if the second shot hit him, he couldn't survive could he.
Its not exactly a real rock. It is either hollow or made of foam, you can see it floating on the water during the flood. It symbolises the son's dream of getting rich, ultimately hollow and holds no weight.

I think people will have a hard time picking on the small details. The whole film is incredibly tight knitted.

thepolice123

To be fair, I am more surprised at the near perfect scores on rottentomatoes and metacritic. It was good, but not great as others have said. Personally I thought it started out brilliantly, but started slowly going downhill after the rain.

Not a big fan of the ending either... in the beginning I was pleasantly surprised at the plot and the set-ups as it kind of resembled The Royal Tenenbaums (or some other smartly written comedy focused on quirky families) but it got a bit too crazy and OTT in the end, even for a korean flick.
It is a reference to the biblical flood and a major turning point in the film because it exposes the rich/poor divide. The scene which have the Kims running home in the rain, you can see they are either downslope or down the staircases. They are actually going down the metaphorical social ladder back to the lower rungs of society.

There's also a smart juxtaposition and pure irony in there. The Kims and Park Jr both spend the night in a shelter. The flood destroys their home and the poor spends the night in an actual shelter while being drenched and miserable. On the flipside, the rich have the luxury to sleep out in the rain, inside a tent, and completely unaware that there's a flood.

The craziness at the end represents the lower class angst.

justboy68

Just watched it. Brilliant film! Engaging all the way through and has a bit of everything: comedy, suspense, social commentary, drama. What more can you ask for? Definitely interested to explore more of this director's work.

Icemav

Well made film by a talented film maker. However incredibly contrived storytelling and full of unlikeable and inconsistent characters. Also terrible to watch when drunk.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Been meaning to watch this since Dumbfoundead has mentioned it a few times before in his podcasts.

Funnily enough Dumb actually has a song about Asian representation in Hollywood/Oscars. He'll be happy that the statues weren't the only yellow people at the Oscars this year.

I wish he still battled

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I've been on a Korean film binge recently. They really do make some excellent movies out there. Haven't caught this one, but looking forward to it.

OleBoiii

I've been on a Korean film binge recently. They really do make some excellent movies out there. Haven't caught this one, but looking forward to it.
Other Korean movies to add to your list(if you haven't seen them):

Oldboy
Burning
A Tale of Two Sisters
A Dirty Carnival
Joint Security Area
Castaway On The Moon

The first two are possibly as good as(or better than) Parasite. And this is coming from someone who loves Parasite.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Oldboy
Burning
A Tale of Two Sisters
A Dirty Carnival
Joint Security Area
Castaway On The Moon

The first two are possibly as good as(or better than) Parasite. And this is coming from someone who loves Parasite.
You forgot Memories of Murder, which is made by the same director.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

Oldboy
Burning
A Tale of Two Sisters
A Dirty Carnival
Joint Security Area
Castaway On The Moon

I've seen Oldboy, A Tale of Two Sisters & A Dirty Carnival but I'll add the others to the list, thanks! I think The Man From Nowhere, A Bittersweet Life, A Company Man and The Suspect are some of my other favourites so far. The Chaser and I Saw the Devil are also great, but damn if they don't get a little too graphic at times. Got Veteran and Yellow Sea to watch next, so will hopefully sit down with one of them tonight.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
The film has alot of symbolism and hidden meanings. For example when the dad came to the office of the rich dude for his first day at work as a driver, rich man gestured for him to sit. The next shot from the perspective of the office of the wealthy guy shows the edge of the window that seperates them as the line which the poor dad comes oh so close to crossing but never does (said a few times in the movie after but you probably didnt notice it got symbolized in the first scene they met).

Another example is that there is a layer of comedy to the scene where the father gets acting lessons from the son: in real life the guy who plays the poor dad is an all time great in korean cinema whilst the son is an up and coming actor. So when the son helps the dad rehearse his lines it’s like ansel elgort teaching al pacino how to act (shamelessly stolen from a youtube comment).

The film has alot of hidden meanings and layers and small clever things that you only pick up after a few watches or might never pick up weren’t it for google. I guess that might play a part when movie ‘buffs’ rate the movie.

As a whole experience from a normal viewer I’d say it was decent.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's not overrated because it won an oscar, loads of lesser films have won one, it's overrated if people are calling it "the best film of the decade". Well, people are entitled to think that of course, but the "overrated" comments are in reaction to that, and I think it's pretty fair.

It's a well made film, and the underlying critique is interesting (though not exactly novel, and especially not in Korean film), but I don't find it to be the masterpiece others seem to suggest it is.

thepolice123

Oldboy
Burning
A Tale of Two Sisters
A Dirty Carnival
Joint Security Area
Castaway On The Moon

The Wailing
The Handmaiden
Peppermint Candy
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

Masterpieces of Korean cinema.

AaronRedDevil

Going to see it today at 2. It better be fecking good. Can’t take any more disappointment from the last week:lol: