Film Parasite (2019)

Suedesi

This cinematographic gem recently won Palme d'Or at Cannes. I walked in with little information beforehand and was blown away - amazing flick!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just watched this, brilliant film.

Every time I thought the plot might run out of ideas something else happened. So good.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Yeah, I loved it. Definitely one to watch without any idea of the plot, you’ll then be completely clueless as it just continues to escalate and escalate. I’ve only seen Oldboy of his other films, will have to watch the rest.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah, I loved it. Definitely one to watch without any idea of the plot, you’ll then be completely clueless as it just continues to escalate and escalate. I’ve only seen Oldboy of his other films, will have to watch the rest.
Oldboy isn't a Bong Joon-ho film. Other films of his like Memories of Murder and Snowpiercer are also fantastic, though.

Heard a lot about this, worth watching?.
As above, go in without reading even a one line synopsis of the plot and you'll be glad you did.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I thought this was a movie documenting the life of Malcolm Glazer. Thoroughly underwhelmed, would not watch again.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Oldboy isn't a Bong Joon-ho film. Other films of his like Memories of Murder and Snowpiercer are also fantastic, though.
Doh. I was sure someone had told me it was. In that case, I'll watch the efforts of both directors as soon as I can!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Doh. I was sure someone had told me it was. In that case, I'll watch the efforts of both directors as soon as I can!
Yeah, both him and park chan-wook (oldboy) are the two heavy hitters of korean cinema. Well worth checking out.

Other well-known ones are lee chang-dong, kim ki-duk, and hang sang-soo but they're less popular as they tend to make more conventional dramas.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Watched this last night.

There's definitely going to be a Hollywood version; I bet it won't be anything like as gruesome as the original.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Watched this last night.

There's definitely going to be a Hollywood version; I bet it won't be anything like as gruesome as the original.
The original has made such an impact globally that they might not need to make an inferior remake. I really hope they don't.

thepolice123

Watched this last night.

It will be near impossible for Hollywood to replicate it because Parasite at its core is a film for and about Korea. One example is the difference in the two countries' concept of family. You can't just Amercian-ise that.

Its like that Hollywood remake of The Secret in Their Eyes which crashed. Everyone loved the thriller element in the original. But what made it great is the political and historical commentary of Argentina in its underlying theme.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't know if anybody saw it but Burning is another really good 'social criticism' film concerning the lives of the nouveau rich. It genuinely shocked me.

The same guy (Lee Chang-dong) also made an earlier film called Peppermint Candy and that's all about the Gwangju Uprising where hundreds of civilians lost their lives in armed conflict.

Korean history - even contemporary history going by the political craziness of the past few years - is filled with some terrible incidents.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It will be near impossible for Hollywood to replicate it because Parasite at its core is a film for and about Korea. One example is the difference in the two countries' concept of family. You can't just Amercian-ise that.

Its like that Hollywood remake of The Secret in Their Eyes which crashed. Everyone loved the thriller element in the original. But what made it great is the political and historical commentary of Argentina in its underlying theme.
Agree with you, but a few script tweaks and a very different final third - I really will be surprised if this isn't adapted.

It's too good a concept to be passed over, I think.

thepolice123

Agree with you, but a few script tweaks and a very different final third - I really will be surprised if this isn't adapted.

It's too good a concept to be passed over, I think.
Tbf Films about the rich poor divide are nothing new. Class inequality is practically one of favourite topics of Korean cinema.

Would love to see Spike Lee take on this project though.

Sweet Square

Tbf Films about the rich poor divide are nothing new. Class inequality is practically one of favourite topics of Korean cinema.

Would love to see Spike Lee take on this project though.
I'm pretty sure its illegal for Lee to touch anything South Korean after what happened in 2013.

Eckers99

$_$

Infernal Affairs > The Departed

type scenario.
Yeah, you're probably right. It's a very well made film which gets all the basics (screenplay, direction, performances) right and some people just refuse to read subtitles, irrespective of hype or awards.

And contrary to what other posters are saying, I think it could be fairly easily adapted. It just wouldn't be anywhere near as good.

South Korean cinema has produced some great stuff this millennia.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Read some criticism of there not being any actors in Parasite nominated for the Oscars. I can kind of see why in that there wasn't any one character that had a standout lead role in the film. Each of the actors were excellent and executed their roles well and shared screen-time equally. Still would be nice for maybe the son or father to be nominated.

Tarrou

I don't know if anybody saw it but Burning is another really good 'social criticism' film concerning the lives of the nouveau rich. It genuinely shocked me.

The same guy (Lee Chang-dong) also made an earlier film called Peppermint Candy and that's all about the Gwangju Uprising where hundreds of civilians lost their lives in armed conflict.

Korean history - even contemporary history going by the political craziness of the past few years - is filled with some terrible incidents.
I liked both but Burning was the superior film for me.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Is it possible to watch this legally in UK/Ireland, does anyone know?

SoCross

Can I at least be told the genre? Don’t want to watch a horror flick !

Minkaro

Is it possible to watch this legally in UK/Ireland, does anyone know?
It's certainly showing at Cineworld. Not sure about other places.

Edit: Um...that might just be certain Cineworld locations. If you Google Parasite showtimes, you should find something, even if it's just at a smaller place.

thepolice123

I liked both but Burning was the superior film for me.
Great film. I thought it was some mystery thriller but was pleasantly shocked at the quality and plot.

I think its the superior film but probably too arthouse for mass audiences.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
My daughter saw it a few weeks ago at a local arts cinema and was raving about it. “Best movie I’ve ever seen”.

Must be quite something if it’s subtitled and still won best picture.
Something to look forward to.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Read some criticism of there not being any actors in Parasite nominated for the Oscars. I can kind of see why in that there wasn't any one character that had a standout lead role in the film. Each of the actors were excellent and executed their roles well and shared screen-time equally. Still would be nice for maybe the son or father to be nominated.
Disclaimer: I know feck all about the Oscars.

Are people often nominated for best performance even though their performance wasn't in English? I just think it's hard to really rate acting performances when I don't have a firm grasp of the spoken language. Stuff like dialect, intonation and various subtleties are mostly lost on me.

Eckers99

A worthy winner which, hopefully, will lead to a few more people checking out foreign language films.

Denis79

So happy it won best film, fantastic movie! Still think Old Boy is the best Korean movie I've seen but Parasite comes very close.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I imagine a lot more people will watch it now and best advice I can give is to completely avoid any sort of spoilers, trailers, synopsis etc. It's best to go in completely blind.

One of the best films I've seen in a long, long time.

OleBoiii

Wow, I did not see that coming. Not because Parasite isn't a good movie(it's fecking amazing), but because the Oscars tend to be a joke.

Pleasantly surprised!