PARK-A true unsung hero

Drifter

American
Park Ji-sung says the whole Manchester United squad must take collective responsibility for replacing Paul Scholes.

Sir Alex Ferguson has already spoken of the difficulties involved with trying to cover Scholes’ retirement.

The United boss believes trying to find a like-for-like alternative to one of the finest players of his generation is virtually impossible.

Arsenal’s Samir Nasri looked like a useful replacement but Ferguson has long since concluded the France international will be heading for Manchester City if he leaves the Emirates Stadium.

Wesley Sneijder is clearly a player of immense talent but huge difficulties remain in trying to get the Dutch star to Old Trafford from Inter Milan.

Ferguson continues to scour the planet for players of potential.

However, there is a possibility United will head into the new campaign with the players they already have.

And if that is the case, Park uses the exit of Cristiano Ronaldo two years ago as proof of how Scholes’ loss should be overcome.

"We have to do it together," he said.

"When Ronaldo left the club everyone said it was bad for the team but we still managed to perform and win trophies.

"It was just one player. We had to make up for that together. It is the same with Paul Scholes."

Clearly, it is not just in talent that Scholes will be missed.

The former England star’s vast experience is lost to the dressing room too, especially in the wake of Edwin van der Sar’s retirement, which followed so quickly after that of Gary Neville.

Wes Brown and John O’Shea had also been at Old Trafford for over a decade before leaving for Sunderland, although again, Park believes there are alternatives.

"We still have a lot of experienced players; Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra," he said.

"They have all been at Manchester United for more than five or six years and all have great experience.

"They can replace the likes of Paul and Edwin van der Sar."

Park might have added his own name to the list.

After all, he is about to start his seventh season as a United player.

And with Ferguson revealing the South Korean has been offered a two-year contract extension, Park obviously has a pivotal role to play in the seasons that lie ahead.

To that end, he is bound to be helped by quitting the international scene, for even he acknowledges there was a price to be paid for all those frequent trips back to Asia.

"The fitness levels do get affected when you travel so much and play extra games," he said.

"I hope to get more rest, not suffer any injuries and enjoy the season."

A goalscorer in both United matches on their pre-season tour of the United States so far, Park has started in impressive form, which he hopes to maintain.

He acknowledges the Champions League defeat to Barcelona in May hit his team-mates hard, although with a 19th Premier League title collected as well, reaching definitive conclusions has been tricky.

"The Barcelona game was very disappointing," he said.

"Every player had the same feeling and it left us with mixed thoughts because we also won the title, which allowed us to make history.

"However, we have to do better because what happened against Barcelona hit us hard. It was such a disappointing defeat.

"We have to think of the future. We have to be better and must work hard to try and ensure that doesn’t happen again."

Drifter

American
Park Ji-sung believes he has convinced everyone his move to Manchester United was about far more than selling shirts in the Far East.

At a club whose commercial operation has grown rapidly over the past decade, Park's budget arrival from PSV Eindhoven in 2005 smacked of a cynical marketing move.

Although the South Korean had been part of a PSV side good enough to reach the Champions League semi-finals, the obvious benefits of having a prominent player from the Far East in Sir Alex Ferguson's squad seemed to be of equal importance.

Yet Park struggled to make an impact during his early years at Old Trafford.

Injuries hampered his progress and it appeared his stint in Manchester would be a short one.

However, Ferguson had spotted Park's talent and slowly he has emerged as a key figure, especially in big games.

He scored the winner against Arsenal last season and was then on target with United's crucial second in their Champions League quarter-final against Chelsea in April.

And this season is shaping up to be equally rewarding.

Park has scored in three of United's four games so far on their tour of North America, while Ferguson has offered the midfielder a two-year contract extension.

Little wonder Park is convinced he has laid those early fears to rest.

"At first, some said I was selling T-shirts," said Park. "It didn't hurt. It was my first year and maybe they thought an Asian player could not perform in European football.

"I proved it was the wrong thing to think and I am delighted with that.

"I have proved I can play in European football."

Industrious, disciplined and easy to control, Park is a manager's dream.

Little wonder other Premier League teams are starting to look at South Korea as a recruiting ground.

Bolton have made a home for Chung Yong-lee while Sunderland signed Won Ji-dong, and Park believes there are others who have the capability to follow his lead.

"More Korean players will come here," he said.

"There are Korean players who have the talent to play in Europe. Hopefully they can come over to play and show how much Asian football has improved."

Park is already looking beyond that, raising the possibility he could eventually end up in Major League Soccer after last night's 4-0 rout of the MLS All-Stars in New Jersey.

His immediate future is United, though, and that new deal he looks certain to sign.

"Why not?" he said. "I keep saying I want to stay at Manchester United for more years.

"Hopefully one day we will get together and sort it out."

Park admitted he was surprised to claim the man-of-the-match award last night.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
JS Park has signed a new contract that keeps him at OT until at least 2013. #mufc

feck you Solius

Shimo

A dancing Carlton is always a lol moment.

Oh and JS Park signing an extension is definitely a smiley moment.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Good to see him stay on, gives us valuable depth and quality. Great big game player.

Well this backs up the thread title... one of our best players signs a contract extension, leading to a total of 5 posts in an old thread about him!:lol:
I think the biggest reason for that is that there was never any doubt. We all knew that he'd stay.

Of course, two months ago I would've said the same about O'Shea. :nervous::(

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
£4 million..............£4 MILLION............Surely one of the bargains of the decade for a talnted, proffesional and bloody likable bloke.

PARK 4 EVER

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Congratulations to Park for not falling over after scoring today! Made up for him!

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Park's got a clinical streak in him now. I'm impressed by how proficient he is in front of goal these days.

Remember the times when scoring was hard for him?
I used to think myself if he could score he'd be amazing. Now he scores really often, I think he's more than amazing.

Funny to think of the great players struggling to get in our starting eleven.

Number7

Ret's Slave
I think I let a bit of piss out laughing when Park came on and scored. He must have been on the pitch 3 minutes and everyone jut knew he'd score. Arsenal get bullied by Drogba...Rooney and Ji sung Park :lol: Quality

Amir

It's not just the scoring. I think he's really come on as a player. He was always one to work with his head rather his feet - he's not that kind of fancy footballer- but he's even better now. One of our more clever players, sort of a Solskjaer.

Number7

Ret's Slave
20% of his United goals have come against Arsenal - 5 of 25. He's also got 2 against Chelsea and a winner against Liverpool.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
It must hurt Arsenal fans to see all their wonderfully gifted players not do much, than little old Park comes on and gets a goal with a good finish.
I'd be even more hurt by the fact that of all the people on the pitch, even Park Three Lung decided that running wasn't worth the effort after he scored. I'm so used to seeing him go full speed towards the ball regardless of circumstance, but even one of our traditionally hardest working players on the pitch thought the game was so over that he could reduce his run to a slight jog.

davisjw

He's not getting the time that a player of his quality deserves to be honest at the height of his skill set, but damn is he a loyal servant of ours. I feel kind of bad for him...

Wonder if all this time off on the bench is going to make him think twice about leaving South Korea... He's young enough to get through another WC if he paces himself. His presence alone would lift the team up and they do have some real quality coming through like Japan.

I've always loved me some Ji-Sung, glad he's pulling through off the bench.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Fergie's just pacing everyone out evenly. Bet in 3-4 weeks' time Berba will be starting a few matches in preparation for the Feb run.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Was atrocious after coming on.
It didn't surprise me Giggs came off but it surprised me that Park came on. It was 2-2 at the time, Nani or Berba would have made more sense. Yes I know Park was brought on to get some urgency back into the team.