Television Parks and Recreation

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Apart from being fat, there's, like, no similarities.
The hair? Fine, season 3 Donna looks like Dawn French while in Vicar of Dibley.

You people ruin everything.

Alock1

Is this starting to run its course?

Maybe I just need to rewatch the season when its finished. I think its more suited to binge watching than one episode every week or so plus all the breaks.

No particularly funny episodes this season. Not sure even exactly what's going on at the moment with all the characters. Not sure I care.

I don't think the shows become bad mind. It's not bad and still has some laughs - they just seem few and far between lately.

They haven't quite resorted to making the characters complete caricatures of their best qualities like they did in The Office. Though Andy and Tom have been moving that direction in recent seasons - with Andy becoming more and more stupid in particular - so I guess it's a matter of time.

I hate the character who yells at the end of every sentence too. He's the worst character the show has had, by far.. there is nothing funny about him at all.

Has it been renewed for another season? They seem to be sewing up some loose ends and moving characters on somewhat, but they've had characters all over the shop a few times so it's not necessarily a sign it's ending.

Last edited:

roseguy64

If it does get renewed for another season, next season should be the last. The writers seem far too talented to let a HIMYM situation develop but best to go out while it's still good.

Alock1

According to the page before this then the actor who plays Larry/Jerry said it was renewed.

I'd be down for a shorter season, hopefully they end it strong and don't let it decay too much.

Right now it's probably still better than most shows just missing the spark it use to have and starting to become a little tiresome.

Wittmann45

Interesting. Probably some unconscious influence rather than setting out to make a Swartzwelder character

I've read a few things about Swartzwelder, he's always been an interesting character, even though his goal is to avoid being of interest to anyone.

I wish I could find the one interview I remember seeing, but a number of the writers from the early seasons talked about the writing process. They all said John was the most unique and best writer the Simpsons ever had. Once they would have an idea for an episode, they would present it, and than the other writers would either rip it apart or offer constructive crticism. I know Conan has said that a number of episode he is credited with were only his original idea, and that he got so many ideas from the pitch meetings, and especially writers like Swartzwelder. He said that with the monorail episode; that it was his original vauge idea but that nearly all the best jokes were written by others. He admits that it was his best episode by far but that that he feels the episodes are more the creation of other writers than his own

Interesting character, anyone read any of his numerous books? Not much into sci-fi or fiction in general...

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Funny what you said Alock, I hadn't watched any episodes in a while and the fiancée and I watched something like 6 or 7 over the weekend and really enjoyed them. I think you're right in saying that it's more suited to binge watching, and not so much to the one episode a week format, not that I could explain it.

Absolutely loved the ending of their anniversary episode where Leslie gets Ben the Iron throne. His face when he discovers it is priceless, and his reaction to Leslie trying to humour him is great too! :lol:

Cina

Ben is the best character in it lately, I think.

I definitely don't think it's as good as it used to be anymore, still better than most comedies but they should end it next season.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Ben is the best character in it lately, I think.

I definitely don't think it's as good as it used to be anymore, still better than most comedies but they should end it next season.
Yeah I'd like for it to end pretty soon, before it turns to shit. At the moment, it just seems a tad pointless. Probably with Leslie finishing her work in Pawnee (getting the park actually constructed?) and moving to Chicago?

Ben is a nice character, and I really enjoyed that episode where he got to know and appreciate Larry (is it Larry? Jerry?), it was quite sweet. I wasn't quite so convinced about the latest one where he drank the blueberry wine and was annoyed about his parents selling the house, the plot seemed kind of forced. Still, he's a very nice character.

Alock1

Funny what you said Alock, I hadn't watched any episodes in a while and the fiancée and I watched something like 6 or 7 over the weekend and really enjoyed them. I think you're right in saying that it's more suited to binge watching, and not so much to the one episode a week format, not that I could explain it.

Absolutely loved the ending of their anniversary episode where Leslie gets Ben the Iron throne. His face when he discovers it is priceless, and his reaction to Leslie trying to humour him is great too! :lol:
I'd just finished episode 15 when I wrote that post, watched 16 & 17 after which seemed to be quite a bit better. Like I said they seemed to start moving things along a little quicker, which helped. Or maybe it just felt that way because I had watched 3 in a row.. not sure.

I agree, Ben's great and Ron is still awesome.. I don't feel like we see enough of the supporting characters anymore, we see Jam a lot and he's just a prat. We don't see enough of the likes of Perd compared to season 2 and 3.

Sweet Square

Interesting. Probably some unconscious influence rather than setting out to make a Swartzwelder character

I've read a few things about Swartzwelder, he's always been an interesting character, even though his goal is to avoid being of interest to anyone.

I wish I could find the one interview I remember seeing, but a number of the writers from the early seasons talked about the writing process. They all said John was the most unique and best writer the Simpsons ever had. Once they would have an idea for an episode, they would present it, and than the other writers would either rip it apart or offer constructive crticism. I know Conan has said that a number of episode he is credited with were only his original idea, and that he got so many ideas from the pitch meetings, and especially writers like Swartzwelder. He said that with the monorail episode; that it was his original vauge idea but that nearly all the best jokes were written by others. He admits that it was his best episode by far but that that he feels the episodes are more the creation of other writers than his own

Interesting character, anyone read any of his numerous books? Not much into sci-fi or fiction in general...
Listening to the commentary's and finding out of how they spend hours upon hours in a tiny room coming up with these golden episodes daily also the hours they worked in the early years were insane and just adds to the level appreciation I have to everyone involved(mainly the writers). Also I remember a few of the writers saying they would write under different names as well sometimes.

All the conservative and old fashioned lines seem to come from Swartzwelder, so I can see the link between him and Swanson. If anything Swartzwelder comes across as a very interesting and talented character.

Last edited:

Wittmann45

Haven't seen the show in a little bit, but where did this Craig guy come from? fecking hell what an annoying character. Luckily everyone else around him is so redeeming

Just watched the episode about the model UN. Had some of the best lines I remember from the entire series

'What are you gonna do without the tides Peru?' :lol:

Cina

It hasn't really been a good season, but the latest episode was amazing.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
If the 1 1/2 episode was season 1... then yes, definitely! Season 1 you basically just have to get through it, there's a few funny moments but overall it's very weak. Season 2 is a drastic turn around and is much, much funnier. And the Leslie character is slightly different if I recall correctly. So yeah, I'd definitely recommend giving it another go, finishing season 1 with low expectations and trying at least 2 or 3 episodes into season 2. If you still hate it, then give up, but that would mean you're a bad human being.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I think it's a bit of a shame cos I don't think season 1 is absolute shite, and it's useful to establish the characters, but if you really can't stand it, just read the summaries of the episodes to make sure you can follow the bits of story that are relevant and yeah go straight to season 2. Whatever works for you, you're missing out on a great show at the moment.

Alock1

I've got a few mates who skipped season 1 and they didn't bother trying to find out anything about the first. They jumped straight in and loved it.

I agree RiP, season 1 isn't so awful now - but only because I've already seen the show I think so I can appreciate it a bit more. It was pretty poor at first, though easy enough at 20 minutes each and only 6.

Leslie was stupid in that though. Just Michael Scott v2 which didn't work.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
This is show well past its peak. Typical American show just on for the sake of it. Should have finished when Leslie won that election. Been a rehash of most stories since then.

Ivor Ballokov

So what did people make of the finale? I thought it would have made a great series finale with everyone coming back and having their moments, but now I don't know what to think, it's certainly shaken things up though.

"And I'll have an empty glass"

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Haven't seen the finale yet but I have to say that Craig is the worst character ever. Ever. It baffles me that people who came up with such good characters thought he would be a good addition.

Alock1

Haven't seen the finale yet but I have to say that Craig is the worst character ever. Ever. It baffles me that people who came up with such good characters thought he would be a good addition.
Yes. I agree.

Usually these un-funny characters are mostly harmless at least, but I actively can't enjoy a scene that he's involved in.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I've got a few mates who skipped season 1 and they didn't bother trying to find out anything about the first. They jumped straight in and loved it.

I agree RiP, season 1 isn't so awful now - but only because I've already seen the show I think so I can appreciate it a bit more. It was pretty poor at first, though easy enough at 20 minutes each and only 6.

Leslie was stupid in that though. Just Michael Scott v2 which didn't work.
Yeah I guess you're right. Though to be honest we watched it after being told not to set our expectations too high and given it's only a couple of hours, in the end, we just thought it was ok.

Totally agree on the Leslie character, they completely re-write her (in my souvenir), which is great cos her character in season 1 was shitty. In season 2, she still has her major characteristics but is also a very professional and competent person, which was essential for the show.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
That should have been the series finale. I'm kind of disappointed that they're continuing the show in the fall but excited at the same time to see how the writers can further develop the story.

Cina

Wait so the show is now skipping three years forward?

Meh, should've just ended it.

Alock1

Good finale, should have ended the show on it.

Still, I guess if they are going to do another season, at least skipping forward 3 years will help freshen things up.