g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pathetic fans booing Maguire

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don’t understand the guys trivialising the jeering. How many of you get booed while working?
He’s never disrespected the club. Booing a player cause he’s shit is very fecking low. Why don’t you boo the coach that picks him?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
You so low using medical condition as a punch line?
Sorry did I hurt your feelings. You must be more sensitive than Harry. I was calling you hysterical.

And I think you're rubbish. Should I just boo you everytime you post? Or maybe just ignore you? Which was the point I was making, but that you couldn't see because you are so sensitive.

Red00012

Certainly makes it that bit easier for some hating the English especially with a player that plays better for his country. It’s hardly surprising he was booed in Ireland.
It has absolutely nothing to do with him been English . Get a grip .

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Sorry did I hurt your feelings. You must be more sensitive than Harry. I was calling you hysterical.

And I think you're rubbish. Should I just boo you everytime you post? Or maybe just ignore you? Which was the point I was making, but that you couldn't see because you are so sensitive.
Attack the post. Not the poster.

But hey... Feel free to ignore me.

I've had enough with people making it personal over some internet opinions.

Good day. Putting you on ignore

reelworld

You would think that after Dele Alli interview last month football fans would have more sympathy towards players mental health. But apparently not.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
12 pages and I have yet to see anyone who thinks booing is pathetic, come up with a viable way for fans to show displeasure.

He is on a weekly wage that 99% of the fans in stadiums would love to have as a yearly salary. It just comes with the territory, theres nothing sad or pathetic about it.
It's hard, isn't it? With the game is still on, you want all your players to give best performance. And booing your own will badly affecting his performance.

But then how else? You don't want to show your displeasure off the pitch, as that counts as invading someone's private life. Most of us have jobs and know the need to separate between job and personal life.

evil_geko

He doesn’t deserve that hate but he’s the worst defender in Man Utd history, worst signing in history, and he was the most expensive defender ever, and he made it to Captain and was kept as Captain for seasons. I have no idea how any of that was possible. And now he's essentially trying to hang on to the club and his wages. He is fecking atrocious and was insulted by the £20M offer. He should think himself lucky anybody thinks he's worth half that much. Nothing but mistakes that cost goals time and time again. He should change the club this summer or continues to be a meme factory.
One of the worst things I have read on this forum in years. All the memes made you lose grip on actual reality and you made your own. :houllier:

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He was nowhere as bad as in the past 1-2 years though
Huh? He's been awful for a sustained period of time. Way before Ten Hag arrived. Just look at the various 20min long compilations on YouTube.

I'd feel more sorry for the guy if he took some of the blame for our poor form a while ago. But I seem to recall he didn't, blamed his team mates instead and continued to big himself up.

He really was an abysmal Captain choice by Ole. Granted we didn't have many options at the time.

As for the booing, if you do dumb shit on a regular basis then the fans should be able to call you out. They can boo at half time, full time, make songs, chant you don't know what you're doing at the Manager. The online abuse players get is terrible though, social media at its worst.

RedStarUnited

It's hard, isn't it? With the game is still on, you want all your players to give best performance. And booing your own will badly affecting his performance.

But then how else? You don't want to show your displeasure off the pitch, as that counts as invading someone's private life. Most of us have jobs and know the need to separate between job and personal life.
I assume the idea is that the fans boo and show their disappointment in the player, the manager/owner sees that and gets rid of said player. When people hate a player, they would gladly lose a game to never see that player again.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I assume the idea is that the fans boo and show their disappointment in the player, the manager/owner sees that and gets rid of said player. When people hate a player, they would gladly lose a game to never see that player again.
:lol: That kinda a bit extreme. Maybe if we're 10 points ahead of the 2nd place with only 3 games to go?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Huh? He's been awful for a sustained period of time. Way before Ten Hag arrived. Just look at the various 20min long compilations on YouTube.

I'd feel more sorry for the guy if he took some of the blame for our poor form a while ago. But I seem to recall he didn't, blamed his team mates instead and continued to big himself up.

He really was an abysmal Captain choice by Ole. Granted we didn't have many options at the time.

As for the booing, if you do dumb shit on a regular basis then the fans should be able to call you out. They can boo at half time, full time, make songs, chant you don't know what you're doing at the Manager. The online abuse players get is terrible though, social media at its worst.
Before Ten Hag arrived he was already bad, yes, because his form fell off a cliff after he had a fight in Greece. But he was not as bad as making multiple goal threatening mistakes in one game. Vs Bilbao he made 3 mistakes in one half with one leading to a goal, playing against players that are nowhere near United level. That's why his issue right now is more about mental than ability I think, he's never been a top top defender but right now you can put Fred as CB and he'll probably make less mistakes than Maguire. This man is broken, like United Jose, like Chelsea Torres. And if you look at his mistakes often times they're silly mistakes than even amateurs would be very careful not to make. He needs to go to Italy and if he fails there again maybe Saudi or MLS.

Idxomer

I don’t understand the guys trivialising the jeering. How many of you get booed while working?
He’s never disrespected the club. Booing a player cause he’s shit is very fecking low. Why don’t you boo the coach that picks him?
If my job is to perform in front of thousands of people, I would expect them to show their dissatisfaction if I did badly. People in the entertainment business have been booed when performing badly for centuries. It's not something new and it still happens, it's part of the package. No one threw eggs or tennis balls at Maguire, they just booed him a little while others started to applaud him as a reaction.

arthurka

I am going to let people who pay a lot of money to go see United make their own mind up about whether to boo Harry or not.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Attack the post. Not the poster.

But hey... Feel free to ignore me.

I've had enough with people making it personal over some internet opinions.

Good day. Putting you on ignore
Booooo.

It wasn't literal.

Like Harry, you can't put me on ingore. You'll just have to put up with me reminding you how rubbish I think you are every time I see you.

But that's OK right?

Gliggs

If my job is to perform in front of thousands of people, I would expect them to show their dissatisfaction if I did badly. People in the entertainment business have been booed when performing badly for centuries. It's not something new and it still happens, it's part of the package. No one threw eggs or tennis balls at Maguire, they just booed him a little while others started to applaud him as a reaction.
And don’t forget paid £200,000 a week to do that job!

Robbie Boy

I think he’s been bullied to quite frankly disgusting degree in the past 2 years, being not likeable shouldn’t be a thumbs up to make the feckers life hell.
It’s no surprise he’s gotten shitter and shitter as the abuse continues, must be an awful scenario for his mental state.

We’d all be screaming blue murder if a regular Joe Bloggs had to suffer such abuse, the cnut gets mentioned in African politics ffs, but when it’s a footballer we bizarrely think it’s fair game.
The least you’d expect is a little bit of backing from your own fans, but his own fans are the worst.

Odd.
The abuse is disgusting but as I said, that's the shitty online world we live in, and why I stay well away from social media. I don't think a-few boos in pre-season is the end of the world, though. He's like a pantomime villain at this point.

Robbie Boy

Face 80,000 odd people supposed to be your supporters booing and screaming abuse at you while trying to do your job, millions revelling in your suffering online and taking their pound of flesh, and come back and tell me how trivial that feels.

How dead inside does one have to be to think this is Ok?

Not saying it's the same, but it's still abuse and can have lasting ramifications on the victim
I'm talking literally about trivialising domestic abuse. Nothing more.

Robbie Boy

Traditionally, I don't think it's a massive controversy to expect your fellow fans not to boo our own players, especially at friendly. But you y'know, that's just like, my opinion man. United it a massive club, it attracts all sorts of folk...
I don't think you should let some booing bother you so much, in all honesty. Get riled up over the abuse, as that's fair game.

Lee565

I wish our fans were as harsh on other poor performing players and managers that have been at the club, it seems weirdly directed at Maguire when we have had worse professionals and performers post fergie that have had way easier and I include the managers as well

Gliggs

Money fixes everything? You're probably not as shallow as this makes you sound.
Booing has always and will always be part and parcel of the sport. Yes it’s not very nice but the players are compensated well. He has made plenty of posts through his social media channels backing the support he has received from the fans so it’s clearly not something he is too bothered about.

So no money doesn’t fix everything, but we would all take 200k a week for taking a few boos.

Abusing your own players though is a step too far.

Superunknown

I understand criticising your own players on forums, or even making a comment to another fan in a stadium regarding a player. But booing is something I can't get behind. When it's your team on the pitch, you support that team and the players who play for that team. Criticise them, praise them, discuss them, etc, but I don't see the point in the booing. If the coach/manager/staff keeps playing them and keeps them at the club, then it's on them.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Booing has always and will always be part and parcel of the sport. Yes it’s not very nice but the players are compensated well. He has made plenty of posts through his social media channels backing the support he has received from the fans so it’s clearly not something he is too bothered about.

So no money doesn’t fix everything, but we would all take 200k a week for taking a few boos.

Abusing your own players though is a step too far.
I wouldn't say those posts clearly show he's not bothered. It could be a coping mechanism. We don't know.

If it was a clear choice, 200k for a few boos, yes but that's not the context he signed and it's totally unnecessary and counter productive. If anything it makes a player worse. It's dumb on almost every level when it's at the stage it's at with Maguire.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I can’t be arsed to read the whole thread so I’m sure someone’s already said it, but there’s a big difference between booing a bad result at the end of a game/half (which fans are occasionally want to do and doesn’t single anyone out for general disappointment at a performance form the paying public) and booing one of your own players any time he touches the ball during the game, which is one of the most pathetically spiteful and counter productive things I can imagine doing…

…you’re free to do it, sure, but youre a really fecking sad cnut

unsurprising to see the kind of ‘fan’ online supporting it though. The Jassim/Qatar flag profile, overt support of Greenwood type. God I’m really beginning to hate a certain section of our fanbase.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Seems the booing is more symbolic than anything. Maguire is the embodiment of what was a poor era for the club and he represents the gross mismanagement of the club.

I think if he was more humble and had of actually acted like a captain i.e. taking some responsibility and not had his PR machine in full swing absolving him of any blame, he wouldn't be booed. We have had a tonne of under-performing players here in the last decade, that weren't booed. I don't think it's a performance issue alone, why he's been targeted.

Gliggs

I wouldn't say those posts clearly show he's not bothered. It could be a coping mechanism. We don't know.

If it was a clear choice, 200k for a few boos, yes but that's not the context he signed and it's totally unnecessary and counter productive. If anything it makes a player worse. It's dumb on almost every level when it's at the stage it's at with Maguire.
Completely agree it’s counter productive. And I don’t agree with booing your own players for performance related reasons. However I do think as players when you get into football (especially in the social media age) you’re aware that you get praised and criticised to the extremes. And when you are taking those kind of salaries there has to be a degree of accountability for poor performances especially over a prolonged period of time. As there would be in any other job. Booing at sports stadiums albeit counter productive is probably the least offensive way of conveying your disproval.

I don’t see how trying to tell paying fans they are wrong and not to boo will ever be productive. People do not want to listen and you’re not going to oust it from the game. So what would be productive? Probably improving social media training for the players - especially when they are at the younger ages.

Robbie Boy

I think the crux of it is; while I think some have blown the booing out of proportion, there really is little up-side to it. If ever a player knew he wasn't wanted at a club, it's Maguire.

Last edited:

red.knight

One of the worst things I have read on this forum in years. All the memes made you lose grip on actual reality and you made your own. :houllier:
I have seen every game Maguire played for United. He will be remembered as a footballer who scored more goals against United than Raheem Sterling :lol:

evil_geko

I have seen every game Maguire played for United. He will be remembered as a footballer who scored more goals against United than Raheem Sterling :lol:
Again, your posts are regurgitation of memes, have no touch with reality. I would guess you are pretty young.

Zen86

We should agree to disagree then. It might be not positive in the match, but in the long run it does imo.

If you don't want to get booed again start playing better. If because of that you don't give a shit anymore then it's clear you should quit and leave. If a club want to win and achieve things that's how the mentality should be. We should stop treating the players who getting millions a year like some teenages in junior high. Might be the reason why Madrid won 3 CL in the last decade and we won feck all. But hey ho we can sit on being the nicer fans and 'supporting our players even if they're shit'. Being nice most of the time doesn't get you anywhere.
If a player is shit, how does booing him make him better? Do you think booing Maguire is suddenly going to make him faster or better on the ball? He’s not struggling because he can’t be arsed putting effort in, he’s struggling because he’s not suited to the game we’re trying to play. And he’s obviously feeling the effects of being vilified by the media and sections of the fanbase as demonstrated by the fact he looks terrified every time he’s near the ball now.
Your assertion that booing improves a player in the long-run is nonsense.

crossy1686

career ending
You would think that after Dele Alli interview last month football fans would have more sympathy towards players mental health. But apparently not.
I think people have more sympathy for Dele Alli, but unless Maguire does something similar he's not going to get a break. Hard to imagine he'll be booed at OT though once the season starts, if he plays that is.

Zen86

Then they don't have the right mentality for the job.

There have been great players in the past who have been vilified for whatever reason, but have come back strong. Not just in football, but in many sports.

It's part of elite sport. They wouldn't earn their millions per year if not for the sport attracting the interest of billions of people around the world. If they're happy to take the money and fame that comes with it then they have to accept the criticism too. For the record I don't believe personal abuse and insults are fair game, but booing I have no problem with. It's certainly not the abusive and bullying behaviour that some try to make it out to be. It should should be used as a fuel to self motivate and prove the doubters wrong
Like who? Which United players have been vilified for not being good enough to the extent of Maguire and got better as a result?

And you can’t separate the booing and the abuse in this instance, it’s very much part of the same campaign targeting the guy.

red.knight

Again, your posts are regurgitation of memes, have no touch with reality. I would guess you are pretty young.
Tbf, I don’t think Maguire deserves all the booing he gets but saying he has nothing to prove he set himself up for a backlash. In my opinion, he wasn't good enough for United from the beginning and needs to go. He is not wanted by the fans or the manager. He needs to get the message and push for a transfer. It looks like he is happy to stay and take the money.

PS: ive been a Utd fan since 1995.

clarkydaz

Like who? Which United players have been vilified for not being good enough to the extent of Maguire and got better as a result?

And you can’t separate the booing and the abuse in this instance, it’s very much part of the same campaign targeting the guy.
After his England red card Beckham had the whole country and media against him, and kidnapping threats of his kids. Maguire at least has the media protecting him

Grande

After his England red card Beckham had the whole country and media against him, and kidnapping threats of his kids. Maguire at least has the media protecting him
Becks was vilified in a stupid and horrible manner, but at least it was for actively and consciously doing something violent, stupid and destructive. It was bad enough, but booing a player that tries to bounce back from bad form amd loss of confidence, that’s stupid, egotistical and sadistic.