Pathetic fans booing Maguire

reelworld

I think people have more sympathy for Dele Alli, but unless Maguire does something similar he's not going to get a break. Hard to imagine he'll be booed at OT though once the season starts, if he plays that is.
The crux thing I get from Alli interview is that nobody knows what's going on with the players life, and booing them on the pitch done nothing but making it worse for them.
Hopefully your second sentence is right, as he'll be gone by then.

Also, seriously do you all who think it's ok to boo him thinks he plays bad on purpose? He plays as good as he can, unfortunately that's not good enough. If you want to display your discontent, show it to Erik as the one who picks him

Zen86

Not to the extent of Maguire, but Darren Fletcher.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a player who's screwed up as much as Maguire survive for so long as a United player.
We've had an incompetent board who have had no strategy and a complete scattergun approach to managerial appointments. Add to that we've held onto managers and players long after it became clear they needed to be moved on. Maguire is far from the worst CB we've had. He's actually a decent player, just the wrong fit for us and we've dragged our feet with him without being decisive. As per usual.

And Fletcher received nowhere near the same level of focus that Maguire has. Fletcher also had the benefit of being under the wing of one of the all time great managers in a largely successful period of our history.

crossy1686

career ending
The crux thing I get from Alli interview is that nobody knows what's going on with the players life, and booing them on the pitch done nothing but making it worse for them.
Hopefully your second sentence is right, as he'll be gone by then.

Also, seriously do you all who think it's ok to boo him thinks he plays bad on purpose? He plays as good as he can, unfortunately that's not good enough. If you want to display your discontent, show it to Erik as the one who picks him
Personally, I would never boo a player in a United shirt but people pay their money to go and watch and they're entitled to their opinion, whether or not we agree with it, we can't tell other people how they should consume football or behave.

I think in Ali's case, you could clearly see there was something wrong with him on a personal level, he just dropped off massively with no real explanation. Whereas with Maguire he kind of brings the attention on himself, he makes too many errors for a CB and more often than not, it leads to a goal, then he comes out and tells everyone they need to do better or cups his ears to the crowd when he scores against Gillingham. In his case he really should just take a step back and focus on cutting out the mistakes instead of trying to be prime Beckenbauer. No one wants him at the half way line missing tackles and giving the ball away, we want him in the box winning headers, blocking shots, and making challenges (on the opposition, not his own players).

It seems like he's too stupid or stubborn to accept his reality sometimes, I think that's why it's open season on him and has been for a while.

Strelok

He'd stopped putting shifts in also, I don't think Mourinho's management style was good for him.
That tbh I have no idea but probably true. After Madrid Jose's management style was rarely good for anyone.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I think he’s been bullied to quite frankly disgusting degree in the past 2 years, being not likeable shouldn’t be a thumbs up to make the feckers life hell.
It’s no surprise he’s gotten shitter and shitter as the abuse continues, must be an awful scenario for his mental state.

We’d all be screaming blue murder if a regular Joe Bloggs had to suffer such abuse, the cnut gets mentioned in African politics ffs, but when it’s a footballer we bizarrely think it’s fair game.
The least you’d expect is a little bit of backing from your own fans, but his own fans are the worst.

Odd.
Good post. Completely agree.

Grande

Seriously?

You said Beckham did something 'violent'. Meanwhile, Maguire being arrested is apparently not relevant. He even went and did a bloody BBC interview about it ffs.

How can you not see the contradiction in your statement?
What is the contradiction? Has Maguire done something violent that he is being booed for? I am not aware of such a thing.

All I know I said is that it was stupid and horrific the treatment Becks got, even if it was a reaction to something conscious and violent (yes, kicking someone deliberately is obviously a violent act, it’s what the word means). And that systematically booing Maguire for making mistakes in football games is also stupid and cruel, even moreso as making mistakes in football games is neither deliberate or violent.

I don’t know if you have some notion that I want to call Becks ‘a violent person’ (obviously ludicrous) or something like that, or is comparing him to Maguire in niceness or something like that, but that is a long way from what I was writing about.

The most boo-worthy thing Becks ever did in my view, was signing up as ambassador for Qatar, and that is fecking booworthy, and a lot more so than being arrested. Being arrested is not booworthy in itself, and I can’t even recall anyone booing Maguire for being arrested, so I don’t know where that comes into the conversation. As far as I’m aware, it has never become apparent what lead to his arrest anyway, wether he did something I wouldn’t have done or not. Maybe you know more than me. Anyway, I think it’s safe say that’s not why he is being booed and otherwise targeted by multiple people

Bert_

I think he’s been bullied to quite frankly disgusting degree in the past 2 years, being not likeable shouldn’t be a thumbs up to make the feckers life hell.
It’s no surprise he’s gotten shitter and shitter as the abuse continues, must be an awful scenario for his mental state.

We’d all be screaming blue murder if a regular Joe Bloggs had to suffer such abuse, the cnut gets mentioned in African politics ffs, but when it’s a footballer we bizarrely think it’s fair game.
The least you’d expect is a little bit of backing from your own fans, but his own fans are the worst.

Odd.
Agree with this. It's always been a thing to go after other teams players. That's part of the game, and providing their team has their back, most players will revel in it. When you're own turn on you in such a visceral way, which has only ever been seen historically for players that have in some way betrayed the club, it must be devastating to deal with. He might not fit the system, he might not be good enough. But that's no excuse for the booing. People seem to have forgot what the definition of "supporter" is.

It's no wonder we had that toxic environment were players regressed. They must have been terrified to attempt anything in case it didn't come off if they knew they had to deal with the potential torrent of abuse from our own fans!

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It is. Fans are basically customers. Of course a fan can't sit down and tell a player privately that he's shit. So they have to boo the player in the stadium to let the player knows he's being shit and they're not happy about that.

The manager is the equivalence of the boss here imo.

And no I don't think booing is abuse. If so you basically can't complain about any service you pay for.
Yep, and as a customer if you harass the staff you should be fecked out on your ear.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Agree with this. It's always been a thing to go after other teams players. That's part of the game, and providing their team has their back, most players will revel in it. When you're own turn on you in such a visceral way, which has only ever been seen historically for players that have in some way betrayed the club, it must be devastating to deal with. He might not fit the system, he might not be good enough. But that's no excuse for the booing. People seem to have forgot what the definition of "supporter" is.

It's no wonder we had that toxic environment were players regressed. They must have been terrified to attempt anything in case it didn't come off if they knew they had to deal with the potential torrent of abuse from our own fans!
The last paragraph is spot on, it applies to the whole team as well, I'm sure that some of the risky stuff has happened because some players didn't think passing to Maguire was a good option

Bert_

It is. Fans are basically customers. Of course a fan can't sit down and tell a player privately that he's shit. So they have to boo the player in the stadium to let the player knows he's being shit and they're not happy about that.

The manager is the equivalence of the boss here imo.

And no I don't think booing is abuse. If so you basically can't complain about any service you pay for.
This is the attitude that destroys the whole concept of supporting a team in the first place. Customers will take their business elsewhere if they aren't satisfied with what they are getting. They don't start randomly booing the employees of the company.

Strelok

Yep, and as a customer if you harass the staff you should be fecked out on your ear.
Again imo booing is not abuse or harassment. It's not like they use bad words or call the player names. It's simply a way for a fan to display his opinion of a player's performance. Basically the same with a customer telling a service provider that the service is bad and they're not happy.

Of course it'd be much nicer if a fan could tell a player privately that he's being shit and they are not happy with that. But surely an average fan simply has no chance doing that. If they don't boo the player how they're supposed to let the player knows he's being shit and they're not happy with his performance? Go to the caf and moan?

This is the attitude that destroys the whole concept of supporting a team in the first place. Customers will take their business elsewhere if they aren't satisfied with what they are getting. They don't start randomly booing the employees of the company.
Imo a customer would voice their displeasure first. Then if nothing changes they might switch the service.

And it's the attitude that you can't criticise or display your displeasure against a service that might destroy the quality of the service sooner or later.

And again, imo booing a footballer is very different with booing a waitress in a restaurant or an employer in a company. Nobody actually does that.

Tbh I don't get at all why some of the posters here are so against match going fans displaying their opinion about a player's performance. They pay for that, it's their right. And surely booing is not nice but it'll help the player either get better else leave if he can't. Which will benefit the club in the long run imo.

Bert_

Again imo booing is not abuse or harassment. It's not like they use bad words or call the player names. It's simply a way for a fan to display his opinion of a player's performance. Basically the same with a customer telling a service provider that the service is bad and they're not happy.

Of course it'd be much nicer if a fan could tell a player privately that he's being shit and they are not happy with that. But surely an average fan simply has no chance doing that. If they don't boo the player how they're supposed to let the player knows he's being shit and they're not happy with his performance? Go to the caf and moan?

Imo a customer would voice their displeasure first. Then if nothing changes they might switch the service.

And it's the attitude that you can't criticise or display your displeasure against a service that might destroy the quality of the service sooner or later.

And again, imo booing a footballer is very different with booing a waitress in a restaurant or an employer in a company. Nobody actually does that.

Tbh I don't get at all why some of the posters here are so against match going fans displaying their opinion about a player's performance. They pay for that, it's their right. And surely booing is not nice but it'll help the player either get better else leave if he can't. Which will benefit the club in the long run imo.
Footballers are employees. They're paid more money than 99.99% of the world could ever dream of. But they are still humans and react the same way any other humans do in certain situations.

If you have a complaint then address it to their manager. They are the ones that have made the decision to put the person you're complaining about into action.

Since we're on the customer vibe, what would you do if you thought the acting was shit in a movie? Start booing in the cinema?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Of course it's harassment.

And it won't help anyone get better.

If anything it will turn the individuals that play for the team against those booing.

Strelok

Footballers are employees. They're paid more money than 99.99% of the world could ever dream of. But they are still humans and react the same way any other humans do in certain situations.

If you have a complaint then address it to their manager. They are the ones that have made the decision to put the person you're complaining about into action.

Since we're on the customer vibe, what would you do if you thought the acting was shit in a movie? Start booing in the cinema?
You're actually suggesting match going fans should boo ETH instead of Maguire??

And tbh no offense but your example is just dump. A movie is an object. It would be super dumb to tell an object it's shit and you're not happy with it. Your whole example doesn't make any sense whatsoever mate.

Of course it's harassment.

And it won't help anyone get better.

If anything it will turn the individuals that play for the team against those booing.
No it's not. I told you why it's not. Now why booing is harassment?

Last edited:

Bert_

You're actually suggesting match going fans should boo ETH instead of Maguire??
Yes. It's his decision to play him. Not Maguires.

Although match going fans shouldn't be booing anyone on our side. And we don't generally.

And tbh no offense but your example is just dump. A movie is an object. It would be super dumb to tell an object it's shit and you're not happy with it. Your whole example doesn't make any sense whatsoever mate.
You seem to treat watching a football match like watching a movie so I think it's a valid comparison.

Strelok

Yes. It's his decision to play him. Not Maguires.

Although match going fans shouldn't be booing anyone on our side. And we don't generally.

You seem to treat watching a football match like watching a movie so I think it's a valid comparison.
:eek:

Ok you win mate :lol:

Cans&Bans

It's looking like he's off to West Ham now. Fee around £35m, personal terms not an issue. Good luck to him, I hope to feck they go down

tenhagsimp

Off to West Ham for 30m according to Laurie. Honestly can see this a good move for all parties involved.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't remember him ever getting properly booed at Old Trafford, plenty of groans when he'd feck up maybe, so he'll probably get a decent reception.
I agree. As far as I know his only real "crime" as a Man United player was just not being good enough.

He won't get a hero's welcome but there will be some applause, especially if he says some nice stuff on the way out ("it was a dream to play for and captain Man United", that kinda stuff).

bstb3

When West ham next visit Old Trafford, what kinda reaction will he get?
Before or after the inevitably 95th minute in off his knee winner? I mean it could happen at either end, but assuming for them?
I expect it will be ok before and fine unless he does say something salty in the meantime or during the game.

Djemba-Djemba

I agree. As far as I know his only real "crime" as a Man United player was just not being good enough.

He won't get a hero's welcome but there will be some applause, especially if he says some nice stuff on the way out.
Yeah absolutely.

Trying to think of the times an ex utd player has returned as an opposition player and been booed. Don't think there's many and they tend to be booed for other reasons. Never that they were just shit.

Ince
Heinze
Tevez
Di Maria

Not sure I can think of anyone else. Lukaku got a bad reception I think but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

He won't get a hero's welcome but there will be some applause, especially if he says some nice stuff on the way out ("it was a dream to play for and captain Man United", that kinda stuff).
As far as Im aware David Moyes even gets a decent reception. Maguire will get similar

abailey123

I may be in the minority but we win the Europa League under Ole if Maguire was fit. We got 2 decent seasons out of him and then he fell off a cliff after his knee injury.

DevilRed

I may be in the minority but we win the Europa League under Ole if Maguire was fit. We got 2 decent seasons out of him and then he fell off a cliff after his knee injury.
Not the minority. If my memory serves me correctly, most fans were saying his injury was going to be a huge blow for us prior to the final.

He was our best defender that season and the anchor to our back four.

No surprise we conceded off a set piece mistake by lindelof.

A shame his form went downhill from then on.

The social media abuse didn't help either. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his best form at west ham. Happy for harry that gets to start a new chapter and maybe finally sheds the tag of being a bad defender.

Devil You Know

This was the majority opinion at the time.

It's only now that history has been rewritten.

Idxomer

Why exactly? We conceded one goal in the final and our problem was we barely created any chances in 120 minutes.

JB7

Not the minority. If my memory serves me correctly, most fans were saying his injury was going to be a huge blow for us prior to the final.

He was our best defender that season and the anchor to our back four.

No surprise we conceded off a set piece mistake by lindelof.

A shame his form went downhill from then on.

The social media abuse didn't help either. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his best form at west ham. Happy for harry that gets to start a new chapter and maybe finally sheds the tag of being a bad defender.
Lindelof got the hate (and it was poor defending) but the main culprit, as usual in a big game, was our Dave.

leeroyTX

And booing him helps the team how exactly?
He can barely keep his shit together when he’s supported by the fans..
I'm not saying booing is right or wrong. But it's not the fan's fault he's been absolute garbage. If a 30-yr old professional footballer hasn't learned to tune things out by now, he's not going to be playing much deeper into his 30's...at least not in the EPL.

UDontMessWith24

I feel so sorry for any fan/supporter of a team that approaches it like a fecking retail item and throws a fit when it doesn’t work the way they want. Why even bother in the first place.

Enigma_87

You know who
If he's playing for them he'll get cheered for sure.
Respected by the opponents, feared by teammates.

I'm not saying booing is right or wrong. But it's not the fan's fault he's been absolute garbage. If a 30-yr old professional footballer hasn't learned to tune things out by now, he's not going to be playing much deeper into his 30's...at least not in the EPL.
He's soon to be WH problem, thankfully..

Oscar Bonavena

Wasn't at the game (refuse to pay €75 to watch a 2nd string team in a pre season friendly) but as an Irish Red, I was embarrassed at the booing of Maguire. No matter how bad a player is, once he's playing for United you don't boo him. And aside from anything else, he's a guest in our country too, not much of a welcome to give him.