g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pathetic fans booing Maguire

Son

Some of our fanbase is super toxic, especially recently.

Problem is the exposure United gets on Twitter for example and people follow like sheep targeting someone as it’s the current trend.

I don’t go on Twitter for a reason. Most of those fans do and I see a distinct negative trend which is sad for football in general.

Maguire is a solid pro end of the day and should be respected. I don’t have a problem with him been at United personally if he rediscovers some confidence.

Son

I maybe wrong but hes the worst United defender I have seen in my life time and he's definitely the worst one who still thinks so highly of themselves that they believe they have "nothing to prove". The guy turned football to a comedy show.
He was solid last season… In fact he’s been solid for every season apart from the disaster class under Rangnick (which all the players played awful that year).

He’s nowhere near the worst defender I’ve seen in our colours. I can’t even believe you think that. Worst defender? Seriously?

We had Eric Baily and Chris Smalling a few years ago starting. Maguire was an obvious upgrade on both as soon as he arrived and still is as a footballer.

Phil Jones exists too. Showed early promise but one game in 10 doesn’t mean he’s better than Harry. England record tells you everything really they ain’t getting a game over Maguire.

Zen86

After his England red card Beckham had the whole country and media against him, and kidnapping threats of his kids. Maguire at least has the media protecting him
Not exactly comparable is it, nor is it a particularly good example. The media backlash that Beckham received was idiotic but it was the result of lashing out on the pitch, not his performances. And the media isn’t protecting Maguire, I find that conception bizarre.

RedStarUnited

If a player is shit, how does booing him make him better? Do you think booing Maguire is suddenly going to make him faster or better on the ball? He’s not struggling because he can’t be arsed putting effort in, he’s struggling because he’s not suited to the game we’re trying to play. And he’s obviously feeling the effects of being vilified by the media and sections of the fanbase as demonstrated by the fact he looks terrified every time he’s near the ball now.
Your assertion that booing improves a player in the long-run is nonsense.
I think the assertion is booing helps the club in the long run not the player, hence why the poster stated Madrid won 3 CL's (which is wrong, its 4) in the last decade and we haven't been close to winning any. Ultimately, all the white handkerchief waving and booing hasn't stopped Madrid winning or players of dreaming of going there.

gaffs

Ridiculous behavior to boo one of your own players.

Would never get this at OT. Shows what "some" fans are like who are not OT regulars that are at the pre season games.

dubplate warrior

Ridiculous behavior to boo one of your own players.

Would never get this at OT. Shows what "some" fans are like who are not OT regulars that are at the pre season games.
Fellaini was booed by the Stretford End, sounds like you've never been OT.

Zen86

I think the assertion is booing helps the club in the long run not the player, hence why the poster stated Madrid won 3 CL's (which is wrong, its 4) in the last decade and we haven't been close to winning any. Ultimately, all the white handkerchief waving and booing hasn't stopped Madrid winning or players of dreaming of going there.
So booing is connected to club success and trophies is it? :lol:

Strelok

If a player is shit, how does booing him make him better? Do you think booing Maguire is suddenly going to make him faster or better on the ball? He’s not struggling because he can’t be arsed putting effort in, he’s struggling because he’s not suited to the game we’re trying to play. And he’s obviously feeling the effects of being vilified by the media and sections of the fanbase as demonstrated by the fact he looks terrified every time he’s near the ball now.
Your assertion that booing improves a player in the long-run is nonsense.
If he can't get better then he should leave and we'll replace him with someone better. That surely would be better for the club in the long run. I don't think it's that hard to understand?

And no again I don't think booing Maguire has anything to do with his bad performances. He's been bad for more than a year and fans haven't booed him until recently. I don't think he's any terrified near the ball now either. He still plays exactly like when he came. Dwells on the ball for too long and thinks he's Scholes reborn with those ridiculous long passes.

Tbh imo he deserves to be booed long ago. Especially after he basically single handedly kicked us out of the Europa League. The match going fans were actually too nice with him.

clarkydaz

Not exactly comparable is it, nor is it a particularly good example. The media backlash that Beckham received was idiotic but it was the result of lashing out on the pitch, not his performances. And the media isn’t protecting Maguire, I find that conception bizarre.
Beckham took dogs abuse off rival fans about his wife and kid every away game. If people here are trying to frame this as domestic abuse for Maguire, then yes its comparable

Withnail

Becks was vilified in a stupid and horrible manner, but at least it was for actively and consciously doing something violent, stupid and destructive. It was bad enough, but booing a player that tries to bounce back from bad form amd loss of confidence, that’s stupid, egotistical and sadistic.
It was opposition fans boo-ing Beckham though wasn't it? That's a totally different thing from United fans doing it.

Zen86

If he can't get better then he should leave and we'll replace him with someone better. That surely would be better for the club in the long run. I don't think it's that hard to understand?
It’s hard to understand how your point relates to booing the player. Whether he is replaced or not is the managers call, not some gimp in the stand booing.

And no again I don't think booing Maguire has anything to do with his bad performances. He's been bad for more than a year and fans haven't booed him until recently. I don't think he's any terrified near the ball now either. He still plays exactly like when he came. Dwells on the ball for too long and thinks he's Scholes reborn with those ridiculous long passes.
He’s been noted as one of the most abused players in the league and his form has significantly dropped since his first season or so. He was actually quite solid and confident when he joined. As for thinking he’s Scholes reborn, we’ll that’s obviously your objectivity on the matter creeping through now isn’t it:rolleyes:

Tbh imo he deserves to be booed long ago. Especially after he basically single handedly kicked us out of the Europa League. The match going fans were actually too nice with him.
Deserves why? For not being good enough?Even if your point on the Europa was true, how many others have cost us big games? Should we have been booing De Gea for the times he’s cost us? How many countless others that weren’t good enough should we have booed over the last 10 years? Or maybe that’s where we’ve been going wrong. The reason we haven’t performed in the last 10 years is we haven’t booed enough.

Zen86

Beckham took dogs abuse off rival fans about his wife and kid every away game. If people here are trying to frame this as domestic abuse for Maguire, then yes its comparable
Oh I stand corrected, no other United player has ever been on the end of rival fan abuse.

Strelok

It’s hard to understand how your point relates to booing the player. Whether he is replaced or not is the managers call, not some gimp in the stand booing.
Read my post again. If a player doesn't want to get booed he has only two choices. Get better or leave. You understand it now?

He’s been noted as one of the most abused players in the league and his form has significantly dropped since his first season or so. He was actually quite solid and confident when he joined. As for thinking he’s Scholes reborn, we’ll that’s obviously your objectivity on the matter creeping through now isn’t it:rolleyes:
No his performances dropped because we changed our style. He's simply too slow both brain and feet for the current style. And tbh I don't get why the Scholes reborn part is creepy? It's just a way of saying he's not good as he thinks with his long passes.
Deserves why? For not being good enough?Even if your point on the Europa was true, how many others have cost us big games? Should we have been booing De Gea for the times he’s cost us? How many countless others that weren’t good enough should we have booed over the last 10 years? Or maybe that’s where we’ve been going wrong. The reason we haven’t performed in the last 10 years is we haven’t booed enough.
He deserves it because he cost us a semi final and was bad for a long time before that? Tbh again I don't like booing but imo if any player plays badly for a long time and especially in the big matches they deserve to get booed. The logic behind is the same with if you're bad at your job for a long time or feck up big time at your job you'll get fired. Footballers can't get fired so they get booed. Why it should be any difference with the football players?

On the topic of why we haven't win anything big in the last ten years of course there are many reasons behind it. We might need to have a whole thread to talk about that. But imo a big reason is many of our players stayed in their comfort zone and even if they couldn't meet the standards required at United no action was taken. Booing is not nice but it would have helped us better at fixing that than doing nothing imo.

Anyway I don't think this discussion would go anywhere so we should agree to disagree then.

Last edited:

Zen86

Read my post again. If a player doesn't want to get booed he has only two choices. Get better or leave. You understand it now?
No. Because booing has nothing to do with whether a player stays or leaves. That’s the managers decision.

No his performances dropped because we changed our style. He's simply too slow both brain and feet for the current style. And tbh I don't get why the Scholes reborn part is creepy? It's just a way of saying he's not good as he thinks with his long passes.
His performances dropped long before ETH came in. But anyway, let’s say his performances dropped because we “changed our style” as you say, is that his fault? :lol: We changed our system to something he doesn’t fit into, so let’s boo him as a result.

He deserves it because he cost us a semi final and was bad for a long time before that? Tbh again I don't like booing but imo if any player plays badly for a long time and especially in the big matches they deserve to get booed. The logic behind is the same with if you're bad at your job for a long time or feck up big time at your job you'll get fired. Footballers can't get fired so they get booed. Why it should be any difference with the football players?
If you’re bad at your job then your manager lets you go. Your customers don’t shout shit at you and your coworkers spit in your coffee in the months before. Well, I can’t speak for you, of course.

On the topic of why we haven't win anything big in the last ten years of course there are many reasons behind it. We might need to have a whole thread to talk about that. But imo a big reason is many of our players stayed in their comfort zone and even if they couldn't meet the standards required at United no action was taken. Booing is not nice but it would have helped us better at fixing that than doing nothing imo.

Anyway I don't think this discussion would go anywhere do we should agree to disagree then.
It’s not really the players fault for the last 10 years, it’s the club top management that have brought them in and kept them on, had no plan or strategy in place. Same goes for managers. If you want to boo anyone, direct it at the Glazers. They’re the ones who have brought the club down.

RedStarUnited

So booing is connected to club success and trophies is it? :lol:
Not strictly booing but a public show of displeasure does. You can laugh all you want, the reality is the fans at Madrid have high expectations of their players and I think it correlates to their teams performances.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What does Beckham have to do with this? 98 he got abuse from stupid rival fans and media. Not from United fans. Huge difference.
Yes, Becks had a very hard time back then, way more tougher time than Maguire and he was only 23, but at least his own club fans weren’t responsible for that nonsense.

Strelok

No. Because booing has nothing to do with whether a player stays or leaves. That’s the managers decision.

His performances dropped long before ETH came in. But anyway, let’s say his performances dropped because we “changed our style” as you say, is that his fault? :lol: We changed our system to something he doesn’t fit into, so let’s boo him as a result.

If you’re bad at your job then your manager lets you go. Your customers don’t shout shit at you and your coworkers spit in your coffee in the months before. Well, I can’t speak for you, of course.

It’s not really the players fault for the last 10 years, it’s the club top management that have brought them in and kept them on, had no plan or strategy in place. Same goes for managers. If you want to boo anyone, direct it at the Glazers. They’re the ones who have brought the club down.
Think it started to get a bit personal for you imo. And I hate pointless discussion. So again, we should agree to disagree then.

Anyway I didn't say his form dropped after ETH because we stopped to sit deep and counter after we bought Ronaldo.

Zen86

Think it started to get a bit personal for you imo. And I hate pointless discussion. So again, we should agree to disagree then.

Anyway I didn't say his form dropped after ETH because we stopped to sit deep and counter after we bought Ronaldo.
It‘s not personal for me at all. Booing your own players is idiotic and unproductive. Believing otherwise is laughable.

Zen86

Not strictly booing but a public show of displeasure does. You can laugh all you want, the reality is the fans at Madrid have high expectations of their players and I think it correlates to their teams performances.
That explains why those misfits and rejects at Real Madrid have been so successful over the years.

Strelok

It‘s not personal for me at all. Booing your own players is idiotic and unproductive. Believing otherwise is laughable.
I worked for a quite number of companies. And it's true that all the firing, criticism and telling someone they're bad at their job is not nice (that's why I don't like booing, it's not nice) but those are also a must to keep the standards of the work. You go tell your own boss or customers that all the above is idiotic, unproductive and laughable and see what he/she would tell you mate.

Zen86

I worked for a quite number of companies. And it's true that all the firing, criticism and telling someone they're bad at their job is not nice (that's why I don't like booing, it's not nice) but those are also a must to keep the standards of the work. You go tell your own boss or customers that all the above is idiotic, unproductive and laughable and see what he/she would tell you mate.
Booing employees isn’t usual practice at most companies. And not that any of that is in any way comparable, but if I continually told my team how shit they are, it certainly wouldn’t lead to a beneficial outcome.

Strelok

Booing employees isn’t usual practice at most companies. And not that any of that is in any way comparable, but if I continually told my team how shit they are, it certainly wouldn’t lead to a beneficial outcome.
Fans booing a footballer is basically the equivalence of telling someone they're bad at their job and you're not happy with that. I didn't include booing employees in my post. Those two are quite different imo.

I have no idea about your job or your team. But if someone in my team has been bad for a long time or fecked up big time I'd have to sit down and tell them to fix it. If they couldn't I'd have to fire them. Otherwise the whole team/company would think that's acceptable and things gonna go tits up sooner or later. If your whole team are shit and you can't tell them to fix it then God bless you. My advice is you should start updating your CV and look elsewhere asap mate.

Zen86

Fans booing a footballer is basically the equivalence of telling someone they're bad at their job and you're not happy with that. I didn't include booing employees in my post. Those two are quite different imo.

I have no idea about your job or your team. But if someone in my team has been bad for a long time or fecked up big time I'd have to sit down and tell them to fix it. If they couldn't I'd have to fire them. Otherwise the whole team/company would think that's acceptable and things gonna go tits up sooner or later. If your whole team are shit and you can't tell them to fix it then God bless you. My advice is you should start updating your CV and look elsewhere asap mate.
No it isn’t :lol:

The equivalent is the manager telling them they’re not happy and trying to work with that player, not the fans shouting abuse at them.

Anyway, I’m out. As fun as it is, this thread is too deluded

Strelok

No it isn’t :lol:

The equivalent is the manager telling them they’re not happy and trying to work with that player, not the fans shouting abuse at them.

Anyway, I’m out. As fun as it is, this thread is too deluded
It is. Fans are basically customers. Of course a fan can't sit down and tell a player privately that he's shit. So they have to boo the player in the stadium to let the player knows he's being shit and they're not happy about that.

The manager is the equivalence of the boss here imo.

And no I don't think booing is abuse. If so you basically can't complain about any service you pay for.

Wing Attack Plan R

The only time it's acceptable to boo your own player is when they do something insane like flirt with joining Liverpool (Heinze), or joining City (Tevez). Even United players like Fellaini deserve respect when they play. I never wanted Fellaini, never wanted to see him play, but he gave his all when called upon and didn't deserve the online abuse. **just read above that someone had a season ticket and never heard Fellaini get booed, which is something I thought had happened.

Support the club, support the players. If a player tries to join a rival, or talks shit about the manager and club - then you can pour abuse on them. Booing your own players is fecking stupid.

clarkydaz

The only time it's acceptable to boo your own player is when they do something insane like flirt with joining Liverpool (Heinze), or joining City (Tevez). Even United players like Fellaini deserve respect when they play. I never wanted Fellaini, never wanted to see him play, but he gave his all when called upon and didn't deserve the online abuse. **just read above that someone had a season ticket and never heard Fellaini get booed, which is something I thought had happened.

Support the club, support the players. If a player tries to join a rival, or talks shit about the manager and club - then you can pour abuse on them. Booing your own players is fecking stupid.
don recall Fellaini actually being booed, do remember him being ridiculed with sarcastic applause/cheers

RedStarUnited

I’m taking the piss out of your insinuation that it’s the Real Madrid fans booing their players which has led to their success, rather than the crazy talented team they’ve had:)
I never said its the single source of their success, I said it is part of it.

Rafa Benitez was coach at the beginning of 15/16 and generally the fans hated him. They boo'd him nearly every match. Benitez was sacked in early January, when Madrid were only 4 points behind the leaders. His replacement was Zidane, who went on to win 3 CL's in a row.

So yes, booing played a part in the most dominant period of European football that we are likely to see in our lifetime.

Zen86

I never said its the single source of their success, I said it is part of it.

Rafa Benitez was coach at the beginning of 15/16 and generally the fans hated him. They boo'd him nearly every match. Benitez was sacked in early January, when Madrid were only 4 points behind the leaders. His replacement was Zidane, who went on to win 3 CL's in a row.

So yes, booing played a part in the most dominant period of European football that we are likely to see in our lifetime.
:lol: That’s a stretch.

nakpodiareuben

Don't know what we all are saying. The fans know Maguire is not even 4th choice. He just have to go. I really pity him because to be honest, he has been professional. Really professional.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Like who? Which United players have been vilified for not being good enough to the extent of Maguire and got better as a result?

And you can’t separate the booing and the abuse in this instance, it’s very much part of the same campaign targeting the guy.
Not to the extent of Maguire, but Darren Fletcher.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a player who's screwed up as much as Maguire survive for so long as a United player.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Becks was vilified in a stupid and horrible manner, but at least it was for actively and consciously doing something violent, stupid and destructive. It was bad enough, but booing a player that tries to bounce back from bad form amd loss of confidence, that’s stupid, egotistical and sadistic.
Maguire was in prison over the 2020 summer, my guy. Beckham kicked out in a game of football.

Some of you are desperate.

Grande

Maguire was in prison over the 2020 summer, my guy. Beckham kicked out in a game of football.

Some of you are desperate.
What are you on about, calling me desperate? Uncalled for.

Do you mean to say Maguire is booed by United fans because they know what he did in Greece that nobody else knows?

Grande

It was opposition fans boo-ing Beckham though wasn't it? That's a totally different thing from United fans doing it.
Yea, United fans protected Becks while other ‘England’ fns attacked him. With Maguire it seems the other way round, which in my view makea it worse, even if the abuse Becks received was much, much worse.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What are you on about, calling me desperate? Uncalled for.

Do you mean to say Maguire is booed by United fans because they know what he did in Greece that nobody else knows?
Seriously?

You said Beckham did something 'violent'. Meanwhile, Maguire being arrested is apparently not relevant. He even went and did a bloody BBC interview about it ffs.

How can you not see the contradiction in your statement?