Paul Gascoigne | Still living

Josep Dowling

Takes a special sort of cnut to film that and put it on social media.
Why? Not being funny the guys gone over to meet one of his idols and gets asked for cocaine. I can’t see what he’s done wrong putting it online. Maybe Gazza shouldn’t get in such a state to embarrass himself.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Why? Not being funny the guys gone over to meet one of his idols and gets asked for cocaine. I can’t see what he’s done wrong putting it online. Maybe Gazza shouldn’t get in such a state to embarrass himself.
Human compassion first and foremost. Gascoigne is ill, and has been for a long time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's just such a surreal clip.
From the joy of the fan in seeing him, and bigging him up, to Gazza then smiling, and resting his head, sort of nuzzling the fan.
Then ruining the little tribute speech with a weird voiced, almost indecipherable "coo-cain?"

The shock on the fan's face is something else.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lost loads of weight. Did a half marathon or two I think.

From 21 to 13 stone. Ran to raise money for Bobby Robson cancer charity

Always thought he was responsible for leading Gaza astray.
But seems to have got his act together.
Listening to a Lineker podcast the other day, there was a story how Gazza shot 5 bellies in the ass, just for comedy to impress "the lads".
I wonder now if was actually the other way round, and Gazza was the instigator not the led.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Listening to a Lineker podcast the other day, there was a story how Gazza shot 5 bellies in the ass, just for comedy to impress "the lads".
I wonder now if was actually the other way round, and Gazza was the instigator not the led.
Maybe he was Gazza's punch bag for so long Jimmy eventually just washed his hands of him.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Very sad to see Gascoigne now. The addict needs to want help. Addiction is a robber of self respect and dignity. It will eventually take his life. Where there is life there is hope but Gascoigne may not have the wherewithal to stop even if he wanted too. The older you are the more damage your likely to have done to your body and judging by the video he may have a twin addiction problem. The chap was out of line in making the video public. Gascoigne is vulnerable and this won't help him any.

Judas

Open to offers
This statement sort of shows a complete lack of understanding, basically ignorance about addiction, the blokes ill. Surely you'll old enough to understand that.

SaintMuppet

He sure needs help, and it’s really sad to see. But he has had many chances to come to terms with his demons. Being who he is actually affords him access to treatment and help that the ordinary man on the street simply won’t get. Being Gazza has totally contributed to his problems but it also opens doors the rest of us don’t get.

The nature of addiction means unless he truly wants to stop he won’t. It’s sad to write him off but unless he means it and puts in the work nothing will change. There are people out on the streets right now who are desperate for that chance and we should help them first and foremost.

I’m not cruel and heartless, it’s just how it is.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I'm choosing to believe the guy posted the video in an effort to either get Gazza help or to shock the man himself Into getting help

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I severely doubt he will ever get better.

It's sad to see but at this point its pretty clear he's never going to get better. Efforts could be better spent elsewhere, helping people who have a chance.

I know people who knew George Best and through it all they say he always retained his charm and personality. Like someone said upthread it almost seemed like he was happy being that way. Gazza is well beyond any of that.

Marcelinho87

I don't get the uproar on uploading videos, had he not uploaded it how would anybody know? If he rocked up to the PFA why would they listen to just him?

Uploading these things gives them exposure and it gets pushed to the right people.

Same as when crimes are happening and people stand and film, it makes people aware.

Leif GW

It's sad to see but at this point its pretty clear he's never going to get better. Efforts could be better spent elsewhere, helping people who have a chance.

I know people who knew George Best and through it all they say he always retained his charm and personality. Like someone said upthread it almost seemed like he was happy being that way. Gazza is well beyond any of that.
I think there are underlying mental issues with Gazza, I never got that feeling with Best although the alcohol will eventually mess with your mind obviously.

And as stated before me, it seems Gascoigne goes balls to the walls drinking until he's off his rocker. Who knows what went behind the scenes but I don't get the feeling Best drank that way.

Last edited:

Red For Ever

Possibly true, the media at the time seemed to always blame 5 bellies, but they certainly seem to have gone in opposite directions since they fell out ( no idea what for, and don't recall seeing anything about it, and never read anything about it, but didn't pay that much attention either )

FlapR

Reminds me very much of an old friend of mine. He kept going dry for months even years at a time but would always get back on it. He had the same Bloat as Gazza as well as his liver and kidneys packed up and he just retained fluid all over his body. And he was only a small guy, was never fat so the bloating looked worse. He would wake up and drink a bottle of Vodka to come round and stop the shakes then hammer the cider for the rest of the day. We tried everything to help him. Ironically he died when he stopped suddenly, went cold turkey, had a massive fit and cracked his head open on his doorstep. 36 years old.
Going cold turkey can be fatal, check out this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I get people tend to exaggerate on the internet, but I dont tend to take pride in my past, take what I said as a lie or truth, it doesn't really bother me. ;)
Exactly, I don't think anyone's going to be "Impressed" as such, whatever level you were hoovering up.
Only wronguns take drugs.

anyone?

matt10000

This was an era where the support for life outside of football didn't exist for top players and so you had youngsters who have never had to grow up as all decisions are made for them , have lots of spare time on their hands when not training and they have lots of money. You had to work out it out for yourself.

At the 1990 World Cup some players used the spare time that they had constructively:

David Platt having been brought on as a sub and scoring used his time to start learning Italian
Gary Lineker used his spare time by hanging around with the BBC commentary team to learn as much as possible with a view to a career in TV after football

They did this on their own initiate but people like Gaza just messed around and needed advice, support and prompting but I think they were just given a set of ground rules and left to their own devices.....

David Platt went to Italy with knowledge of the language and integrated with their culture. Gaza took his drinking pal Jimmy Five bellies with him and carried on trying to live like he did at home. His mates like Chris Evans and Danny Baker didn't help by including him in their binge drinking sessions and then talking about it on their radio shows to raise their profiles 'look at us we are the in crowd etc.' all seemed harmless fun at the time but surely they could see this isn't great for a professional sportsmen?!?

I am not saying Gaza is not to blame but he didn't receive much support from his so called mates or from his employers agents etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

Brophs

The One and Only
I can't remember which podcast it was said on, but as someone pointed out, for all SAF saying he might have been able to help him, most other cases with players with drink problems or behavioural issues tended to end only one way. I'm not sure Gazza was ever someone who could be saved, much less by a football manager.

montpelier

The book on Gazza I read described a whole array of interlinking mental health problems. Football was probably a diversion & a great help until he had to pack it in.

Might not even be possible to 'help' - by which we mean 'normalise' I feel, someone like that. I think the idea that they can suddenly decide to cure themselves a bit far fetched too. It's more culled from what we (society) would like to believe rather than the actuality of experiencing severe mental illness on a daily basis. I include the prolonged & elevated levels of substance misuse in that too, I think.

Needham

Where is that podcast now? Suspended/permanently ended after Danny Baker's scandal?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Where is that podcast now? Suspended/permanently ended after Danny Baker's scandal?
Hard to tell, as where they stopped series two could have passed for a legitimate end to series two anyway.
But most likely as a minimum they're waiting for the heat to ease down. Personally i think it's very hard to see someone like Lineker continuing it now, massively paid by the bbc itd take real balls to continue it with a guy sacked by the same people.

Would you risk a million pound job for a piss about podcast?

Shame as i thought it was brilliant and better than the crouch ones.
Suited me on long runs. A couple of episodes per run.

Needham

Hard to tell, as where they stopped series two could have passed for a legitimate end to series two anyway.
But most likely as a minimum they're waiting for the heat to ease down. Personally i think it's very hard to see someone like Lineker continuing it now, massively paid by the bbc itd take real balls to continue it with a guy sacked by the same people.

Would you risk a million pound job for a piss about podcast?

Shame as i thought it was brilliant and better than the crouch ones.
Suited me on long runs. A couple of episodes per run.
Yeah, doubt Lineker would risk his impeccable middle of the roadness. Shame, twas a good listen.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
90s football was one of the worst places for him to be, in that regard. He has been enabled at every turn by the fans, and to be honest there's no real surprise in that, but there was very little in place to support him in the way there is now at top clubs.

Ultimately, these are choices that he's making, but if you know nothing but football and are able to stay in that infantilised bubble your whole life, it's difficult if there isn't a support network to show him other ways to live and be. It's not the FA's responsibility, it's down to his own family and mental health services now.
That's BS. The 90s weren't the 60s. Sure most EPL clubs were still allowing the pub club mentality to exist but most other clubs did not. Gazza had the talent to join serious clubs if he wanted. He opted for a house and a sunbed rather then to work with Sir Alex then he went on wasting the opportunity to get his life sorted out in what was the most advanced and competitive league in football history

Im sick and tired of having people justifyibg these people. These people had the finest people around them and all the resources in the world to get their life sorted and they refused it. The funny thing is these softies who used to hit the pub after the game have the cheek to call the modern player as snowflakes. The likes of Gazza, Le Tissier and Bruce wouldn't last a month living the gruesome training and lifestyle the typical modern player has to endure. Most of the EPL defenders of the 80s and early 90s wouldn't even make it to the EPL in the first place

montpelier

That's BS. The 90s weren't the 60s. Sure most EPL clubs were still allowing the pub club mentality to exist but most other clubs did not. Gazza had the talent to join serious clubs if he wanted. He opted for a house and a sunbed rather then to work with Sir Alex then he went on wasting the opportunity to get his life sorted out in what was the most advanced and competitive league in football history

Im sick and tired of having people justifyibg these people. These people had the finest people around them and all the resources in the world to get their life sorted and they refused it. The funny thing is these softies who used to hit the pub after the game have the cheek to call the modern player as snowflakes. The likes of Gazza, Le Tissier and Bruce wouldn't last a month living the gruesome training and lifestyle the typical modern player has to endure. Most of the EPL defenders of the 80s and early 90s wouldn't even make it to the EPL in the first place
I think there's a lot of truth in what you say, but Gazza isn't in the category of ''needing to sort his life out'' - the guy is seriously mentally unwell - if we choose to believe his self-reporting. I think I can say that without excusing his domestic violence stuff too.

And there's an opposite argument to your player fitness points too. Le Tissier was a ridculous talent, a lot of current EPL attackers aren't anywhere near the same class. not even close. 20+ goals a season for consistently serious relegation candidates Southampton - admittedly only the seasons he could be bothered, but even so.

And some people (quite a lot, I think) seem to rate Gascoigne extremely highly - just under the top sphere from what I can tell. Which is maybe getting a bit excited & probably requires the use of some of the 'excuses' on the footy assessment side.

(And I was never quite sure about Brucie in the 90s tbh - :D)

grahamo

As somebody said earlier in the thread, He was a footballer rather than an athlete. Fantastic with the ball at his feet. dribbling skills and close control were second to none. He was very naïve and needed better man management. If only SAF had got him as a teenager he would have been a world star. He was never the same player after His crazy tackle on Gary Charles.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm not sure I buy this argument that Gazza would have been alright if Fergie took care of him. Fergie managed Rooney for the majority of his career, and while Rooney was far less self-destructive than Gazza he still managed to make a tit out of himself on several occasions and neglected his fitness to such a point that he was virtually finished as a PL player by the time Ferguson retired. He's now playing in the MLS in his early 30s while Ronaldo can still do it in Serie A in his mid-30s.

The point is, Sir Alex wasn't Jesus Christ and he couldn't cure the sick.