Paul Parker: 'Wayne Rooney is overweight and slow.'

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Interesting to see if Josè is strong enough to deal with Rooney. He's making all the wrong noises so far. There might be considerable pressure from our sponsors as part of our commercial partnerships, but hopefully Josè is brave enough.

There's always been rumours about that Rooney contract and guarantees, captain, first team football, highest earner etc, that's the only reason I can imagine we'll see him on the pitch as he doesn't deserve his place anymore.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Rooney is an embarrassment of a footballer now, how he can think this level of play is ok is beyond me.
Did he ever say he's been happy with his own performances? I'd imagine he knows his decline better than anyone, he knows what he wants to do but his body isn't capable any more.

TsuWave

1. Plays as a striker for five matches without contributing anything. "I think his best position is no.10".
2. Plays five matches as a no.10 without contributing. "Would like to see him get a run of games as a striker".
3. Plays another four matches as a striker before he finally scores. "Proves his critics wrong. Shows he's still a class player".
4. Next two matches he's back to his usual "retirement-worthy" level. "He lost a bit of pace, but he can still deliver those fantastic passes in a midfield role".
5. Ends of being our worst player after a few games in midfield. "He s constantly being played out of position".
6. "No matter where you play him, he will still work his socks off". That's true – at a pace of -0,65mph without pressing the opponent. But he still works his socks off!
7. Back in a striker role, but he still underperforms. "He gets no service. On top of that, we need more Englishmen around him as he can't understand those Spanish guys."

Rinse repeat.
Crazy how accurate this is.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The 2nd to last part where Martial want's to play a 1-2 is absolutely horrendous :lol: I can't stop laughing at how slow he is mentally and physically these days.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

That's so bad, and SOMEHOW it's still not worse than Leicester the week before :wenger:

Seriously that literally looks like someone who's had a few pints and been told to go out and play. Definition of a pub Sunday league player.

It's a disgrace that he's still even at the club never mind playing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Where is the 90% pass completion?

In that highlight video, Rooney is like when a boy plays football with his mates and then forces his overweight uncle to play, during which time he makes a complete mess of things...but it's okay because it's just a bit of fun.
After a few minutes, the overweight uncle gets tired and says, "okay, I'm tired now."

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Talking about being out of shape:
Imagine if Guardiola was the boss - he'd have immediately transfer listed Rooney for being overweight. I doubt he'd even give him a chance to get into shape.
Pep seems to have some strict requirements regarding the weight of his players.
I'm a strict disciplinarian when it comes to pro athletes being in fantastic shape, but Pep takes it to a whole new level.

Gopher Brown

This is the problem with all these commercial tie-ins we get. We've marketed Rooney for the last 10 years, and the companies have bought the hype. Hopefully with the Pogba signing, this will be the start of easing Rooney away from these commercial deals and out of the club.

Rinse and repeat in 10 years' time when Pogba is no longer useful on the pitch.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Imagine if Guardiola was the boss - he'd have immediately transfer listed Rooney for being overweight. I doubt he'd even give him a chance to get into shape.
I'm a strict disciplinarian when it comes to pro athletes being in fantastic shape, but Pep takes it to a whole new level.
No doubt for me that Pep would have no fear in cutting him loose. Difference is that Pep has more credit in the bank.. He has his playing background as well as a stellar career with zero failures on his record.

If he got rid of Rooney there would be an uproar but it would die out soon. Mourinho has to play it more cagey.. And avoid being seen as antagonistic especially after the Chelsea debacle.

dichinero

Spot on Pep. One only needs to take a look at how Barca and Bayern looked lean under Pep. Calling out Clichy for being overweight shows how high the bar the man has set.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Ideally SAF should've stayed one more season, sorting this mess out and then retire but he wanted to go on a high I guess.

Now Rooney will be here til he's 33. Great.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
:lol: Sorry but that reminds me of something Fat Sam would say while comparing himself to Guardiola.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ideally SAF should've stayed one more season, sorting this mess out and then retire but he wanted to go on a high I guess.

Now Rooney will be here til he's 33. Great.
Wants a new contract, so who knows how long.

klayton88

The bits that MOTD don't show and thus paint the picture to the average fan who only watch MOTD that Rooney is amazing.

Nucks

RT History Department
A body is like a rubber tire.

The more you use it, the more wear and tear.

Rooney started competing at the top level, against men at 16. He has between 4 and 6 or possibly more years on his body at an elite level than your average professional his age has.

That's the truth of the matter.

NessunDorma

That's a decent article. Not a lot to disagree with there.
Agreed. Doesn't overlook the questions around his form, current role and future, and leans towards him being phased out. But nor does it go way overboard in slating him, as is the tendency on here.

Dobbs

He's not ripped by any means, and he would benefit greatly from being fitter. That being said, why did Rooney lose so much pace in such little time? He used to be very fast, albeit not Giggs fast, and now he's so ponderous, especially on the first few yards. Also, he's about as agile as Carrick these days. Comparing him to Scholes, who even at 36 was nippy and agile although slow, is just ridiculous.
He's already played about the same number of games as Scholes had come retirement. So it's not that ridiculous.

psychdelicblues

This article sums up what most of us with any sense have been saying.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016...y-manchester-united-southampton-jose-mourinho
That's a decent article. Not a lot to disagree with there.
Agreed. Doesn't overlook the questions around his form, current role and future, and leans towards him being phased out. But nor does it go way overboard in slating him, as is the tendency on here.
Indeed.

'From White Pele to white elephant.'

Rossa

He's already played about the same number of games as Scholes had come retirement. So it's not that ridiculous.
It's ridiculous because they are nothing alike. Not even close. Yes, Rooney can hit a long range pass, but not close to the level of Scholes. Gerard was better at it than Rooney,but he's nothing like Scholes either. Scholes was a completely different player technically and physically.

Rooney once built his game on power and pace. Scholes never did so he had to always play clever, but he was agile and quick to turn. Rooney has no agility.

dichinero

A body is like a rubber tire.

The more you use it, the more wear and tear.

Rooney started competing at the top level, against men at 16. He has between 4 and 6 or possibly more years on his body at an elite level than your average professional his age has.

That's the truth of the matter.
A body is like a car. The more you use it the higher the wear and tear BUT if you maintain and take care of it, it can last longer than newer cars.
Rooney is not the only athlete that started at a young age. Giggs started at 17 and by 35 he was still physically fitter than Rooney at 30.

That is the truth of the matter

liamp

This article sums up what most of us with any sense have been saying.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016...y-manchester-united-southampton-jose-mourinho
I used to post on Andi's blog, and while I agree for the most part, this is the umpteenth time I've seen Casillas' name brought up in conjunction with this situation. I don't have the pulse of matchgoing supporters, but is Rooney really revered in the same way as San Iker was at Real? I don't think you'd see anything near the angst from fans if you benched Rooney as you did when he axed Iker.

Dobbs

It's ridiculous because they are nothing alike. Not even close. Yes, Rooney can hit a long range pass, but not close to the level of Scholes. Gerard was better at it than Rooney,but he's nothing like Scholes either. Scholes was a completely different player technically and physically.

Rooney once built his game on power and pace. Scholes never did so he had to always play clever, but he was agile and quick to turn. Rooney has no agility.
Bit confused as to why you're comparing Rooney and Scholes' technique? Thought your point was that Scholes at retirement was physically more capable than Rooney.

My point was that Rooney's played the same number of games at 30 as Scholes did at 36. It's not ridiculous that he's physically knackered when you consider that.

Devil81

It's game week 2 of the season, surely we should cut the lad some slack. It usually takes the best of pro's three or four games to get going.

The Rooney hate is pathetic, he's not what he was but you can't judge a man on early season form.

Dobbs

A body is like a car. The more you use it the higher the wear and tear BUT if you maintain and take care of it, it can last longer than newer cars.
Rooney is not the only athlete that started at a young age. Giggs started at 17 and by 35 he was still physically fitter than Rooney at 30.

That is the truth of the matter
You picked a player in Giggs who was an anomaly. You don't prove a point with an exception.

No other United player has done what Giggs has either.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The Rooney hate is pathetic, he's not what he was but you can't judge a man on early season form.
I am basing my decision on last season's 8 league goal tally.
But hey, maybe last season was an anomaly, I hear you say?
What about the 12 league goal season before that?
In the last 2 seasons, he has averaged 10 goals per season.

And lets not forget his disastrous form in Euro 2016. He did nothing of note in those games.

It seems that people completely erase from their memory from the previous season and then want to judge Rooney from a clean slate. Just so that he can get another season, to prove himself.

He is in decline and there can be no argument against this.

TsuWave

It's game week 2 of the season, surely we should cut the lad some slack. It usually takes the best of pro's three or four games to get going.

people aren't judging rooney on early season form. his decline has been apparent for a couple years now

Lostie007

What a life he has:

- Captain of England and Manchester United, undroppable for both no matter how bad he plays !

- Coining £250k each week for doing feel all

- Has mates in the media who protect him

- Smashing Coleens back doors in every night

Perfect life he has no wonder he's turned Arrogant he has no competition ! And it doesn't look like changing..

Gazza

The English media will gradually change their position on Wayne, it's already started with Souness and Redknapp on Sky last week, and I think the written press are ready to jettison Rooney for the 2018 World Cup.

Also I'm paying attention to our marketing more these days to see whether Rooney gets pushed into the background for the new crowd - Martial, Pogba and Zlatan are clearly the big hitters in that respect and then we've got Adidas boys like De Gea and Herrera.

We don't need him to help the young players either now we have Ibra and others.

Also, when Rooney was dropped by Fergie last time he used first team football as his reason for wanting to leave - I feel like this should be put to the test. Bench him and see how he responds.

Finally, businessmen have personalities too and I have a feeling Ed wouldn't mind turning the tables on Wayne somehow, considering we felt obligated to give him his last contract and Ed has copped a lot of flak for that. Noticed the other day a possible briefing from the club that Rooney won't be offered a new deal any time soon. Wouldn't be surprised if Ed is putting that message out there.

So in short, I think this season is the end for Wayne. Thanks for all the goals and the gold mate! Will wish him well when he eventually goes but hope he gets he message and toddles off soon.

Gazza

Ed, Wayne, Zlatan... I'm gonna refer to MUFC people by their first names more, makes the whole thing seem more like office politics than mammoth football business stuff