Paul Parker: 'Wayne Rooney is overweight and slow.'

RedTiger

Half mast
I can understand loosing your pace, acceleration, hunger and everything, but the first touch? And it is so in the extreme regarding Rooney, there are honestly attempts at first touches in that video which I would have done better.
I think its more a deterioration in his ability to anticipate the ball. I was at the game on Sunday and at times he seemed punch drunk, his reaction time has seriously gone down hill.

santeria13

Sublemon
Is it just me or does it seem like Martial is getting increasingly frustrated with Rooney throughout that video? Think that secretly, a lot of players wouldn't give a toss if he is dropped. They'd probably be glad. I've seen it quite a few times in the body language of the players around him when he loses the ball, and in other games. Maybe it's just me seeing what I want to see but maybe there's something more to it. Anyone?

AgentP

Is it just me or does it seem like Martial is getting increasingly frustrated with Rooney throughout that video? Think that secretly, a lot of players wouldn't give a toss if he is dropped. They'd probably be glad. I've seen it quite a few times in the body language of the players around him when he loses the ball, and in other games. Maybe it's just me seeing what I want to see but maybe there's something more to it. Anyone?
I'm sure many players must be annoyed with him but can't talk about it since he's their captain. One thing I have noticed is that Jose has been very careful with his comments on Rooney. He has said he likes Rooney and wanted to sign him before but has not really made any comment on his performance so far. He might just be waiting for the a good opportunity to drop him without causing unnecessary tensions within the squad.

clarkydaz

Finally, businessmen have personalities too and I have a feeling Ed wouldn't mind turning the tables on Wayne somehow, considering we felt obligated to give him his last contract and Ed has copped a lot of flak for that. Noticed the other day a possible briefing from the club that Rooney won't be offered a new deal any time soon. Wouldn't be surprised if Ed is putting that message out there.

So in short, I think this season is the end for Wayne. Thanks for all the goals and the gold mate! Will wish him well when he eventually goes but hope he gets he message and toddles off soon.
it was Rooney who mentioned new contract at the World Cup when he was getting the plaudits before the Iceland disaster, think his agent was on talksport aswell. Would be nice for the club to take a stand again

Nucks

RT History Department
A body is like a car. The more you use it the higher the wear and tear BUT if you maintain and take care of it, it can last longer than newer cars.
Rooney is not the only athlete that started at a young age. Giggs started at 17 and by 35 he was still physically fitter than Rooney at 30.

That is the truth of the matter
Apples and oranges. Giggs never played like Rooney did, aggressive, physical and with reckless abandon. That is harder on the body than the silky smooth style of Giggs. Giggs also has a slighter frame, and is prone to carry less mass. On top of that Giggs had a work ethic that very few match.

So, what's your point? You take the exception to try and disprove the rule. Stupid.

Rossa

Bit confused as to why you're comparing Rooney and Scholes' technique? Thought your point was that Scholes at retirement was physically more capable than Rooney.

My point was that Rooney's played the same number of games at 30 as Scholes did at 36. It's not ridiculous that he's physically knackered when you consider that.
Physically different, and at 36 still more agile, which he maintained even though he lost some mobility. At 40, Giggs would burn past the current Rooney. Why Rooney has become so immobile I have no idea. He has lost all explosiveness and agility. He still has some top speed, but he uses that once every full moon.

Dobbs

Physically different, and at 36 still more agile, which he maintained even though he lost some mobility. At 40, Giggs would burn past the current Rooney. Why Rooney has become so immobile I have no idea
Because he started so early. That with a couple of other factors like being naturally thick set. It's that simple.

Fabregas is the same. He looks almost as bad as Rooney. Even Messi has suffered to some extent from an early start.He's been declining physically for a few years now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Martial looked very frustrated after he tried to play the 1-2 towards the end. I cannot imagine his incredibly inconsistent touch isn't getting on the others nerves.

Last edited:

Rossa

Because he started so early. That with a couple of other factors like being naturally thick set. It's that simple.

Fabregas is the same. He looks almost as bad as Rooney. Even Messi has suffered to some extent from an early start.He's been declining physically for a few years now.
Giggs started early as did Ronaldo. Rooney has been awful at maintaining his body compared to those two; I think that also explains quite a lot. Messi is still more agile than most players,as is Iniesta.

midnightmare

A lot is also about how you look after yourself and how well you maintain your fitness. Rooney started only marginally earlier than the likes of Ronaldo and even Giggs. Giggs played till he was nearly 40. Ronaldo is still among the best 2 (if not the very best) players in the world, Rooney has looked past it for a good 2-3 years now. Read about their regimens and a lot makes sense. Ronaldo is rumoured to treat his body like a temple, with no reports of smoking, drunken revelry etc. He's never out of shape. Ever. Rooney, on the other hand, we know about - and this is when his friends in the media probably don't go after him as much as they possibly would someone like Ronaldo.

Rooney gets away with a massive amount of stuff. I can't think of any other footballer who routinely gets away with comments like, "He'll need a few games to play himself into form and fitness". Form, maybe, but fitness? As a consultant, I can't think of a case where I'd let someone go (or get let off myself) for churning out crappy outputs for even a single presentation - however new the area may be.

Starting early may well have had an effect, but the bigger cause surely has to be his attitude towards fitness and his performances. You routinely hear about Ronaldo and how much time he spends on the pitch practicing and training. It was similar with Beckham too and loads of others. Yet, one never hears about Rooney putting in extra hours. Instead, when a manager demands double training sessions, we get convenient leaks about them and how the squad feels it's unnecessary etc. No prizes for guessing how Rooney feels about this!

Dobbs

Giggs started early as did Ronaldo. Rooney has been awful at maintaining his body compared to those two; I think that also explains quite a lot. Messi is still more agile than most players,as is Iniesta.
A lot is also about how you look after yourself and how well you maintain your fitness. Rooney started only marginally earlier than the likes of Ronaldo and even Giggs. Giggs played till he was nearly 40. Ronaldo is still among the best 2 (if not the very best) players in the world, Rooney has looked past it for a good 2-3 years now. Read about their regimens and a lot makes sense. Ronaldo is rumoured to treat his body like a temple, with no reports of smoking, drunken revelry etc
Guys this Giggs comparison is so flawed. You're stating that because Giggs played from 17-37 so should everybody else. You're dismissing a whole bunch of other factors.

Giggs' dad was a pro rugby player. Go find some footage of him, he was possibly quicker than Ryan. Then go and look at Rooney's dad. Genetics clearly play a big part in this. Completely different builds, Giggs obviously being more suited to longevity.

Giggs had every summer off, Rooney's had very little recuperation time throughout his career.

Also one's a winger the other an all action centre forward. The way Rooney's played the game has been much more demanding.

Giggs is an exception. The reason so many posters keep using him as an example is that you can't think of many more players who started so early and maintained it into their 30's. The same applies to Ronaldo. He's a rarity, physically blessed with a commitment very few have.

dichinero

Apples and oranges. Giggs never played like Rooney did, aggressive, physical and with reckless abandon. That is harder on the body than the silky smooth style of Giggs. Giggs also has a slighter frame, and is prone to carry less mass. On top of that Giggs had a work ethic that very few match.

So, what's your point? You take the exception to try and disprove the rule. Stupid.
What a funny comment. Does silky smooth mean not aggressive in your football world. You think Giggs did not play against some hard men when football wasn't as soft as it is?
Rooney apologists and their unceasing excuses that apply to only him. Every Rooney excuse is a exception. Lampard has a thick build and has been playing intense football from a young age, so has Tevez and no one can ever say that they don't give everything on the pitch, and no can call them overweight or accuse them of decline from the age of 29. And they are still playing football.

Dobbs

What a funny comment. Does silky smooth mean not aggressive in your football world. You think Giggs did not play against some hard men when football wasn't as soft as it is?
Rooney apologists and their unceasing excuses that apply to only him. Every Rooney excuse is a exception. Lampard has a thick build and has been playing intense football from a young age, so has Tevez and no one can ever say that they don't give everything on the pitch, and no can call them overweight or accuse them of decline from the age of 29. And they are still playing football.
Come off it. I want Rooney out of the team as much as the next man but there's no point avoiding common sense reasons as to why he's physically shot. Your two examples for instance just don't match up. Neither started as early playing at the level Rooney did. The only comparison in the EPL at the moment is Fabregas. Both men look heavy legged and sluggish.

Lostie007

Sometimes you have to give a young player his head, just like Wayne joining the club forced Ruud out, Martial should force Rooney out.

There's a great history of strikers passing the torch. Andy Cole was forced out when we purchased Ruud etc.

dichinero

Come off it. I want Rooney out of the team as much as the next man but there's no point avoiding common sense reasons as to why he's physically shot. Your two examples for instance just don't match up. Neither started as early playing at the level Rooney did. The only comparison in the EPL at the moment is Fabregas. Both men look heavy legged and sluggish.
I'm sorry but Lampard is very comparable here. Do we not remember that despite Lampard's build, he went a 164 consecutive games in the PL under Mourinho? Genetics does not make a massive impact as people keep saying. This is 2016 and sports medicine and science is way advanced than people think too. The simple observation is that he hasn't looked after himself as he could. Yes, his is shot it hasn't helped that he hasn't looked after himself.

humdinger

I have wanted rid of Rooney for a few years now, but watching that video I actually felt quite sad. He really has become a shadow of his former self.

Jose really needs to start phasing him out, and soon.

Lostie007

I have wanted rid of Rooney for a few years now, but watching that video I actually felt quite sad. He really has become a shadow of his former self.

Jose really needs to start phasing him out, and soon.
This is why Fergie was so good managing, he was a ruthless feck especially in his younger years "the bus waits for no player" was his great motto, he knew when to let players go as the club always moved forward.

Does Jose have the same ruthless streak to pull the rug from Rooney's cushy feet and upset the apple cart so to speak to maybe himself unpopular in the British media? time will tell.

Dobbs

I'm sorry but Lampard is very comparable here. Do we not remember that despite Lampard's build, he went a 164 consecutive games in the PL under Mourinho? Genetics does not make a massive impact as people keep saying. This is 2016 and sports medicine and science is way advanced than people think too. The simple observation is that he hasn't looked after himself as he could. Yes, his is shot it hasn't helped that he hasn't looked after himself.
At about age 24 Rooney had played double the number of international games that Lampard had. While Rooney was starting for Man Utd Lampard at the same age was on loan at second division Swansea. Just look it up. There are very few players in world football who've started so young and played at the highest level upto approx 30. It's a handful.

You say genetics plays a smaller role than we make out. Yet the two examples you've picked, Giggs and Lampard, both had dad's who were professional athletes. Kind of ruined your own point there.

dichinero

You say genetics plays a smaller role than we make out. Yet the two examples you've picked, Giggs and Lampard, both had dad's who were professional athletes. Kind of ruined your own point there.
And how many elite athletes have fathers that weren't athletes? Are Ronaldo and Bolts parents athletes?
There are players that started 2 years after Rooney and lasted 4 after his decline? Rooney is not an exemption in football.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The mismanagement from our recent managers has also been a shame too, for more than one reason. In addition to him inhibiting our team at present, the damage to our relationship with a player who has done so much good here is taking a battering.

Players like Giggs and Scholes were regularly benched in latter years. We bought Anderson and Nani in 2007 to try and replace them. Rooney is still being spoken about as if he's the Ronaldo in our team.

That video of the Bournemouth performance brings up that old debate of 'how many goals do you think you could score in a season for United?'. Rooney came out of that performance with a goal, and he didn't look any better than me with the other aspects of his game.

I reckon I can get 5 or 6 for United, and 10 to 12 for Barcelona based on watching Wayne these days. Especially if they let me take all the penalties like Rooney (unless I start missing those too, like Rooney).

Dobbs

And how many elite athletes have fathers that weren't athletes? Are Ronaldo and Bolts parents athletes?
There are players that started 2 years after Rooney and lasted 4 after his decline? Rooney is not an exemption in football.

Again with the Ronaldo comparison. He outdoes everybody not just Rooney.

If Rooney isn't an exception name the other footballers around who started at 16/17, played their entire career at the highest level, for club and country, right upto 30. In an attacking position.

I can think of three, Ronaldo, Messi and Fabregas. You give me the rest.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Again with the Ronaldo comparison. He outdoes everybody not just Rooney.

If Rooney isn't an exception name the other footballers around who started at 16/17, played their entire career at the highest level, for club and country, right upto 30. In an attacking position.

I can think of three, Ronaldo, Messi and Fabregas. You give me the rest.
This isn't that difficult a task. We are, after all, the club of Ryan Giggs. He started at that age and played into his 40s in attacking positions.

Then there's the likes of Alessandro Del Piero, Luis Figo, Rui Costa etc.

Rooney isn't an exception. Rooney simply hasn't looked after his body the way he should.

Romario was relatively short and squat like Rooney. Had Romario gone off the rails, like other notable Brazilian attackers, he might also have struggled with weight issues. Romario looked after himself though. At 40 years old he was still scoring goals.

Rooney's fitness problems have nothing to do with body types or genes, which is why he tends to get back to his best after a few weeks. Its simply that, as he lets himself go so much in pre-season, it takes him longer to get back to full fitness than it should.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Zlatan just gives this stare. Martial definitely looks very annoyed at times.

Adisa

Zlatan just gives this stare. Martial definitely looks very annoyed at times.
Couldn't resist gesturing at the end of that clip. Three give and goes between him and Rooney ruined in that clip.

Rossa

Guys this Giggs comparison is so flawed. You're stating that because Giggs played from 17-37 so should everybody else. You're dismissing a whole bunch of other factors.

Giggs' dad was a pro rugby player. Go find some footage of him, he was possibly quicker than Ryan. Then go and look at Rooney's dad. Genetics clearly play a big part in this. Completely different builds, Giggs obviously being more suited to longevity.

Giggs had every summer off, Rooney's had very little recuperation time throughout his career.

Also one's a winger the other an all action centre forward. The way Rooney's played the game has been much more demanding.

Giggs is an exception. The reason so many posters keep using him as an example is that you can't think of many more players who started so early and maintained it into their 30's. The same applies to Ronaldo. He's a rarity, physically blessed with a commitment very few have.
Giggs took care of his body, started doing Yoga when he couldn't rid himself of his hamstring problems. Rooney is spotted drinking beer in the VIP section at Old Trafford when he is injured, which hampers the recovery quite a bit. Giggs did more outright sprinting than Rooney ever did, and his work ethic was at least as good, and he never shied away from tackles either.

As for Scholes, he ended his career with 718 matches in total. Wayne Rooney has 599 thus far - it's a bit far fetched to say he has played as much.

Tevez is a good comparison; when both played at United, Rooney was faster and more powerful, but in latter years Tevez has maintained his physical form whereas Rooney has regressed a whole lot. Overmars was lightening quick in a friendly I saw in which he was about 40. Sylvain Distin is huge, but a lot faster and physically numerous levels above Rooney. As for stocky builds, Valencia is twice the size of Rooney, yet has maintained his physical form much better, despite even a serious injury - but he has spent time trying to get back to his level. He has played 441 matches, so closer in comparison in matches regarding your Rooney and Scholes number of matches comparison.

Dobbs

Giggs took care of his body, started doing Yoga when he couldn't rid himself of his hamstring problems. Rooney is spotted drinking beer in the VIP section at Old Trafford when he is injured, which hampers the recovery quite a bit. Giggs did more outright sprinting than Rooney ever did, and his work ethic was at least as good, and he never shied away from tackles either.

As for Scholes, he ended his career with 718 matches in total. Wayne Rooney has 599 thus far - it's a bit far fetched to say he has played as much.

Tevez is a good comparison; when both played at United, Rooney was faster and more powerful, but in latter years Tevez has maintained his physical form whereas Rooney has regressed a whole lot. Overmars was lightening quick in a friendly I saw in which he was about 40. Sylvain Distin is huge, but a lot faster and physically numerous levels above Rooney. As for stocky builds, Valencia is twice the size of Rooney, yet has maintained his physical form much better, despite even a serious injury - but he has spent time trying to get back to his level. He has played 441 matches, so closer in comparison in matches regarding your Rooney and Scholes number of matches comparison.
Sorry but your comparisons are just all over the place. Tevez isn't a good one. He didn't come to England til he was 22, didn't play for Argentina till he was 20. He's also played much less games. Valencia? Your seriously comparing his career to Rooney's? Rooney's played at a much higher level from a younger age. Same goes for Distin (a defender as well).

Seems a bit tedious to go through each comparison every time. Especially when they're not comparable. So I'll leave this one there.

iKeano

Did he ever say he's been happy with his own performances? I'd imagine he knows his decline better than anyone, he knows what he wants to do but his body isn't capable any more.
"I have nothing to prove to anyone" right after kick off.
I cannot wait to see this wantaway primadonna gone.
£250K a week. Disgraceful

Rossa

Sorry but your comparisons are just all over the place. Tevez isn't a good one. He didn't come to England til he was 22, didn't play for Argentina till he was 20. He's also played much less games. Valencia? Your seriously comparing his career to Rooney's? Rooney's played at a much higher level from a younger age. Same goes for Distin (a defender as well).

Seems a bit tedious to go through each comparison every time. Especially when they're not comparable. So I'll leave this one there.
Honestly, you seem to adament on defending Rooney at every crossroad here. What does it matter whether or not the career has been as illustrious as the other. Messi has a much better career than Rooney, but Messi hardly runs half as much. There were matches where Valdes ran more than him. Valencia has suffered a massive injury, is very combative in his play - the winger position and the fullback position being the most challenging in terms of stamina and sprints. Why defenders who go up against strikers are given less significance than strikers who challenge defenders is a little bit beyond me. Smalling covered the fifth most distance in our team last season and challenged for more duels than Rooney did. Distin improved his game a lot after thirty because of his immense physical attributes and the way he looked after himself. Is Rooney in a bubble where only he has the exact build, number of games, started at a certain age, that you cannot compare him to anyone? Fabregas has always been slow as feck and never had the same athletecism as Rooney - poor comparison.

You didn't respond to the Rooney has played just as many matches as Scholes - was that because it didn't fit your argument any longer?

The more I think about it, the more obvious his decline is. The number of matches has taken its toll, but he hasn't been good enough trying to combat his physical decline. He doesn't even look like a top athlete; spending more time in the gym, healthier food and no alcohol would do wonders for him. I think you place far too much emphasis on matches played in the PL. Whenever PL teams play against Spanish teams and German teams, PL teams struggle a lot with the running of other European teams, so I think it's far fetched to claim that the PL is so much more physically demanding these days than other top leagues.

Tevez is a little comparable because they were so similar in build and playing style, but in terms of physical attributes as they edged 30 were miles apart. Tevez even had more or less a year off where he sort of let himself go a little yet was able to regain his physical form.

Rossa

"I have nothing to prove to anyone" right after kick off.
I cannot wait to see this wantaway primadonna gone.
£250K a week. Disgraceful
Yep - the "I have nothing to prove" speech is like a white man's fecked up version of "I have a dream" only that no one really gives a flying feck and just want the man to shut up. He should be saying that he has to prove himself every day on the training field and every match - every player should.

Dobbs

Honestly, you seem to adament on defending Rooney at every crossroad here. What does it matter whether or not the career has been as illustrious as the other. Messi has a much better career than Rooney, but Messi hardly runs half as much. There were matches where Valdes ran more than him. Valencia has suffered a massive injury, is very combative in his play - the winger position and the fullback position being the most challenging in terms of stamina and sprints. Why defenders who go up against strikers are given less significance than strikers who challenge defenders is a little bit beyond me. Smalling covered the fifth most distance in our team last season and challenged for more duels than Rooney did. Distin improved his game a lot after thirty because of his immense physical attributes and the way he looked after himself. Is Rooney in a bubble where only he has the exact build, number of games, started at a certain age, that you cannot compare him to anyone? Fabregas has always been slow as feck and never had the same athletecism as Rooney - poor comparison.

You didn't respond to the Rooney has played just as many matches as Scholes - was that because it didn't fit your argument any longer?

The more I think about it, the more obvious his decline is. The number of matches has taken its toll, but he hasn't been good enough trying to combat his physical decline. He doesn't even look like a top athlete; spending more time in the gym, healthier food and no alcohol would do wonders for him. I think you place far too much emphasis on matches played in the PL. Whenever PL teams play against Spanish teams and German teams, PL teams struggle a lot with the running of other European teams, so I think it's far fetched to claim that the PL is so much more physically demanding these days than other top leagues.

Tevez is a little comparable because they were so similar in build and playing style, but in terms of physical attributes as they edged 30 were miles apart. Tevez even had more or less a year off where he sort of let himself go a little yet was able to regain his physical form.
Rooney and Scholes haven't played the same number you're right, there's about 80 games between them. Let's not pretend though Scholes was physically at the top of his game right to the end. Lots of fans could see he was done before then, including the man himself.

I've said Rooney is comparable to a few other guys, Ronaldo, Messi and Fabregas. The latter two clearly have suffered physically, no matter how fast or slow they were initially. You yourself have pointed out how little running Messi does at times.

I don't want Rooney in tne team. He's finished. Also I can debate stuff like this over and over but like I said mate, I really can't be arsed with comparisons like Rooney and Distin. Or Tevez for that matter.

fellaini's barber

So anybody who plays as much games as Rooney has will start putting out these shit performances? I don't understand this exchange you guys are having

Adisa

So anybody who plays as much games as Rooney has will start putting out these shit performances? I don't understand this exchange you guys are having
The Rooney excuses will never end!
It doesn't justify Rooney but it could still be a valid reason for his shite performances.
His body type, the fact that he might not have taken good care of his body, he was never the dedicated professional like Ronald... All that could mean playing 700+ games in such a physical league could have a more profound impact on him than other professionals.
And imo, it's all the more reason we should get rid.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not surprised to see Indian posters dismissing Paul Parker's opinions(we see him a lot doing punditry on Indian TV).

He's one of the most negative pundits when it comes to United. Sometimes it looks like he downright hates the club. Speaks a lot of bollocks.
Yeah, he's a really miserable fecker when it comes to United. Genuinely sounds as if he holds a grudge against the club.

As for Rooney, he's not particularly overweight, but he's not particularly super fit either. Doesn't strike me as someone who wants to go that extra yard to be in prime shape. I mean, it works for technical geniuses like Xavi, Scholes, Messi or Pirlo, and maybe Rooney has tricked himself into believing he's that sort of player, when he really isn't. Also, in addition to never being a supremely fit guy, he's also played a lot of years of very high octane type of football. All of that leads to a guy that's decently fit but fairly out of gas.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
At 40, Giggs would burn past the current Rooney.
A 40yr old is faster and more agile than a 30 yr old.
Strange, but sadly true.
The alarming thing is that his decline is continuing.