Paul Parker: 'Wayne Rooney is overweight and slow.'

Perrick Dubois

Do you have any credentials to discuss football in the first place? Because this is what you are basing your arguments on. Also, he base his argumentation on what he sees when watching Rooney, not using scientific facts or BMI factors.
I'm doing the equivalent of sitting at the pub in front of the quizzer chatting shit over a pint with the lads around the table. I'm not a paid pundit who's quotes are being recycled by newspapers and printed for consumption.
They didn't, though - to reasonable people. LVG's problems went far beyond Rooney. You could argue - for the sake of argument - that from LVG's perspective he would have been better off getting rid of Rooney and replacing him with some sort of talisman (one with plenty of goals in him and an ability to create something from nothing), rather than banking on Rooney having a grand season (within his - LVG's - specific system, that is).
Well said, people quite easily forget that LVG used 12 forward players as a single striker or part of a two. (Rooney, RVP, Will Keane, Powell, Falcao, Di Maria, Young, Fellaini, Wilson, Chicharito, Rashford, Martial) Surely that is enough to signal the sirens that something is not right with the way the boss wanted the striker(s) to play. It wasn't that Rooney was just plain shite up front, Van Gaal kept categorically stating that Rooney was doing exactly what he wanted him to do. It is a completely different scenario for being shite for the sake of it, people kept saying "Why is he not running in behind at all.." because that was not in the tactical MO. Van Gaal had to literally sub a player to get us tactically to run in behind more, he could have just asked whoever it was to just do it. Don't forget he dropped Rashford for not staying up front enough as well.

The guy was a few quid short of a full wallet. But essentially (and rather laziliy while towing the tabloid narrative) it has boiled down to "Rooney didn't do anything last year, therefore he is shite."

It is the entire crux of the "lets just wait and see what Jose does" mentality that I have adopted. LVG wanted the striker to have 10 touches a game, for crying out loud.

wiz4231

I'm surprised that's all he said, I honestly expected much worse. I could have have done a better job

TrueRed79

I just saw a highlight reel from the weekends game. He is truly awful and not fit for the first team anymore.

EyeInTheSky

Before last season I said that LVG would drop Rooney if his performances looked like costing him his job.

They didn't, though - to reasonable people. LVG's problems went far beyond Rooney. You could argue - for the sake of argument - that from LVG's perspective he would have been better off getting rid of Rooney and replacing him with some sort of talisman (one with plenty of goals in him and an ability to create something from nothing), rather than banking on Rooney having a grand season (within his - LVG's - specific system, that is).

But most of us would agree that LVG's specific system wasn't working - and **you'd have to be pretty blinkered in order to conclude that Rooney was the cause of that.

I'm saying something similar now: If Rooney isn't up to scratch, Mourinho will drop him. He knows what's at stake. Bringing up Ivanovic or whatnot as precedents isn't germane. Ivanovic was an off-form player he could have gotten away with - system wise - if the system itself had worked. Rooney is completely different. If he stinks, it will affect the team's performances markedly even if the machinery as such is sound - and it could very likely cost us points. Mourinho counts on Rooney for tangible contributions (goals, not least), and he won't risk his reputation on playing someone who can be replaced.

And unlike LVG, Mourinho has good alternatives. He can replace Rooney from within the current squad, and still field a strong XI - provided that his system works.
Nobody is saying that he was/is the only problem for the last 3 years under Moyes and LVG. What is unanimously agreed upon is that we are/were lacking goals, control in the attacking 3rd and creativity and he happens to be in the pivotal position where the majority of that should come from.

Both Moyes and LVG in their own inept ways stifled the team via poor man management and tactics that hamstrung the team as a whole. In any case, this thread is talking about how he is slow and other declining attributes. As much as I think that the previous 2 regimes spanning 3 years have been abject mediocrity at best I can't give Rooney another season to try and prove people wrong at the expense of other players. The problem is bigger than just his position. It is a domino affect, because if you play him you have to change other players in other positions and possibly formations. I could understand if he was someone worth building the team around but no reasonable person can say that he qualifies for that approach/honour.

** I blame LVG and Moyes for hanging their hats on Rooney to create and get goals. However, the reason why he is "out of shape" in some people's opinions, Slow, has an undesirable first touch (for a player in such an important position and his wages), down to Moyes & LVG? I blame them for many things but Rooney's decline in all the above attributes over their respective tenures is certainly not one of them. Why did far less experienced players perform well last season despite LVG's influence? Rooney seems to always have to have excuses and be the exception with some people on here. When you consider the facts and all that I have said I think I am not the one who can be called blinkered to be fair...

settembrini

I liked it when one of his passes hit a Bournemouth player and rebounded to Blind. Blind gave it back to him so he turned in the other direction and passed straight to another Bournemouth player.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I hope these quotes get the coverage it deserves.

It's about damn time someone in the "public eye" although not well-known has spoken the truth and exactly how the supporters feel.

I'm sick of British pundits praising him every week for God awful performances.

He needs to be dropped, pain and simple. This has been going on far too long.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I can understand loosing your pace, acceleration, hunger and everything, but the first touch? And it is so in the extreme regarding Rooney, there are honestly attempts at first touches in that video which I would have done better.

El Zoido

He's so obviously finished it's painful. Can't believe he's become such a big problem at our club, and it's largely ignored outside of our fanbase. Journalists and pundits still talk about him as if he's up there with Ronaldo. Never have I seen a player live off a reputation to this level.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's so obviously finished it's painful. Can't believe he's become such a big problem at our club, and it's largely ignored outside of our fanbase. Journalists and pundits still talk about him as if he's up there with Ronaldo. Never have I seen a player live off a reputation to this level.
Slightly ironic claim to make in a thread where the OP is an article by a pundit tearing him to shreds.

Also.

Gopher Brown

While not wanting to defend him, that is cherry picked for his worst moments. I'm sure we could cherry pick Zlatan's worst from that game - he gave the ball away a few times. Rooney did score, but that's not in the video. It would be better to present the facts as they are and let people make their minds up.

C3Pique

He's Steven Seagal right now. Bloated, aged and slow, still thinks he's a star but can't do half of the shit he used to do.

In Rainbows

While not wanting to defend him, that is cherry picked for his worst moments. I'm sure we could cherry pick Zlatan's worst from that game - he gave the ball away a few times. Rooney did score, but that's not in the video. It would be better to present the facts as they are and let people make their minds up.
All he had was that goal. He didn't create for others, dribble past players, or anything really.

El Zoido

Slightly ironic claim to make in a thread where the OP is an article by a pundit tearing him to shreds.

Also.
Paul Parker doesn't count. Every time I see him mentioned serves as a reminder that he even exists. I want to see him called out by Neville, Carragher, Redknapp, Shearer, etc.

Rossa

He's not ripped by any means, and he would benefit greatly from being fitter. That being said, why did Rooney lose so much pace in such little time? He used to be very fast, albeit not Giggs fast, and now he's so ponderous, especially on the first few yards. Also, he's about as agile as Carrick these days. Comparing him to Scholes, who even at 36 was nippy and agile although slow, is just ridiculous.