Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

There's absolutely no doubt the quality is there. In some ways I think we shouldn't have resigned him in 2016. Our team was in need of a massive rebuild and we needed to strengthen in various areas with the money. Pogba is an icing on the cake player. He has been brought in when we're lacking quality in so many key areas. The quality around him needs to improve. People need to look at the bigger picture. We could have Kroos or Modric in this team and they wouldn't do better than Pogba has done for these last two years. He is doing the maximum with what he has to work with.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Keep it simple and you have a player there.

When he got the ball off Martial he looked to feed Lukaku. On another day he would try to take the player on and take a shot from 30 yards out. Know your role and play.

Ashley R1+O

Need to find ways to get him out in stride against sitting teams. The second half that leggy run out and assist for Lukaku is a true aspect of his game. Going forward we need to start getting him free and getting him into more positions as teams have targeted him this season getting right up in and under him.

NotATroll

10 assists in 1876 minutes in the PL is about the same as De Bruyne's 15 assists in 2773 minutes. He hasn't had a bad season at all.

So much recency bias in the fanbase.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good player and very good performance.

His passing, ability to carry the ball was class and levels above anyone in our team.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Much, much better. When he's on song and fully in the game, you can see how much talent he has. Encouraging before Spurs game.

worldinmotion66

I feel sorry for the guy, he's just judged to a different yard stick completely because of the amount we paid for him.

He's got more assists than Christian Eriksen despite playing far deeper for most of the season. He's got 1 less assist than David Silva and 3 less goals whilst playing in a side that has scored 28 less goals.

Play him in a 3 alongside Fernandinho at Manchester City and he would have been as productive as De Bruyne. The stick he gets is completely unjustified given the setup and the teammates he has.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I feel sorry for the guy, he's just judged to a different yard stick completely because of the amount we paid for him.

He's got more assists than Christian Eriksen despite playing far deeper for most of the season. He's got 1 less assist than David Silva and 3 less goals whilst playing in a side that has scored 28 less goals.

Play him in a 3 alongside Fernandinho at Manchester City and he would have been as productive as De Bruyne. The stick he gets is completely unjustified given the setup and the teammates he has.
Bit of a backward compliment?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Kept it simple, best player on the pitch. If he can continue to do that he'll be priceless for us.

Renegade

Seems to have dropped down the captiancy pecking order. Hopefully he can focus on making tonight kind of performance a regular thing.

Silas

Good game from him. Should keep the kneejerkers at bay for a few days.

Devil may care

Played well, benefited from having Martial on the left instead of Sanchez, and Lingard also stayed over his side as well leaving the space for Pogba to drive into.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Starting to make more of those forward runs. He's getting better at it too. Hope to see more of it.
Lukaku said to BT that Jose kept telling Pogba to make those runs at half time...

...of course Rom must be lying because the media tells us Jose isn’t talking to Pogba. :rolleyes:

Mr PG

If Mourinho ships out Pogba I am truly done with him.

We won't get another CM as talented, and Pogba would stay for years after Mourinho has packed up and left.
People are too deluded here. Yes we won't get anyone else willing to come to rainy manchester with anywhere close to the talent Pogba possesses. We can get workhorses not creative geniuses.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Thought he was meh today. Too many fancy flicks, step overs and fecking just trying to do to much, yet again.

Doesn't really impose himself on the game either. So many times he could have burst forward with the ball like with the run when cook (I think) chopped him. That's when he's best when he's a pure beast and nothing can stop him. Instead 9/10 he tries a flip flap or some other shit. It looks nice but really you aren't hurting anyone with those. Reminds me of Ronaldo in his early days. Around 2005/2006 where it was clear he wasn't just a show pony anymore but at the same time he still did stupid shit. Pogba, if he wanted to, could be dominating each and every game.

James Peril

As he very often is, our man of the match today. It’s weird - he’s either the best on the pitch or frustrating, nothing in between. Obviously not in full peacock-mode today, obviously learning his lesson and/or listening to Mourinho/newspapers.

He must dare to be great though, a lot of so-called experts slated Ronaldo for shots from 40 yards and tricks he didn’t need to do.. but it was all about a process of becoming sensational. Pogba needs to keeo his brilliance in the way that only he can.

RuudTom83

End of the season with very little to play for in the league, City are champions, coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th means nowt to me.

From here until the end of the season I would give the player ratings and analysis a rest!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought he was great. Just about the perfect balance between getting the simple things right and playing with flair. Just seemed so much sharper and more focussed than he was at the weekend. I liked the way he went straight to Carrick when he was subbed off. Must be some truth in the pep talk rumours. Now listen and learn, Paul. He knows what he’s talking about!

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
End of the season with very little to play for in the league, City are champions, coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th means nowt to me.

From here until the end of the season I would give the player ratings and analysis a rest!
Considering 4th place means we would have to play a qualifier for the CL, which would mean 2 more fixtures in an already short pre-season due to the WC. The team does not want or need that.

Also 2nd means the club finishes above Liverpool, would you really want them to finish above United? Since SAF retired, the club has never finished 2nd. They need that confidence, especially after being 2nd for most of the season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I thought he was great. Just about the perfect balance between getting the simple things right and playing with flair. Just seemed so much sharper and more focussed than he was at the weekend. I liked the way he went straight to Carrick when he was subbed off. Must be some truth in the pep talk rumours. Now listen and learn, Paul. He knows what he’s talking about!
Something actually stuck out to me today and it’s not a point I’ve seen raised about him before but I think might be quite pertinent.

He looked like he wanted to stay busy, he was trying to press and you could tell he was concentrating hard on doing the right thing, covering the right space and tracking the right players but quite frankly he kept getting it wrong and it just looked completely unnatural to him. He just looked a bit lost when we didn’t have the ball.

I’ve been thinking about it since the game and I think people need to give him a bit of a break. I think people seem to believe he’s been slacking on that side of his game because he’s a bit lazy and only likes doing the fun bits but I think there might be more to it than that. It genuinely just does not come naturally to him which seems crazy when everything else does.

I mean, basically he is just a playmaker, a number 10 who likes to play from deep. At Juve he had some of the finest tactical midfielders you could hope for playing alongside him and he was allowed to play to his strengths.

Tl:dr: Hes not lazy, he’s just genuinely not a very natural defensively. I guess we need to decide if he’s good enough to accommodate in the role he likes or if we would be better off cashing in and getting a more rounded, better fit even if it’s an inferior player.

Canagel

Thought he was meh today. Too many fancy flicks, step overs and fecking just trying to do to much, yet again.

Doesn't really impose himself on the game either. So many times he could have burst forward with the ball like with the run when cook (I think) chopped him. That's when he's best when he's a pure beast and nothing can stop him. Instead 9/10 he tries a flip flap or some other shit. It looks nice but really you aren't hurting anyone with those. Reminds me of Ronaldo in his early days. Around 2005/2006 where it was clear he wasn't just a show pony anymore but at the same time he still did stupid shit. Pogba, if he wanted to, could be dominating each and every game.
I'm not sure what else you want him to do. Paul is a midfield player first and foremost. Today he done his job in the midfield, kept it simple, went forward when he could, worked for the team and got himself an assist. People judge him like he's a forward player sometimes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Something actually stuck out to me today and it’s not a point I’ve seen raised about him before but I think might be quite pertinent.

He looked like he wanted to stay busy, he was trying to press and you could tell he was concentrating hard on doing the right thing, covering the right space and tracking the right players but quite frankly he kept getting it wrong and it just looked completely unnatural to him. He just looked a bit lost when we didn’t have the ball.

I’ve been thinking about it since the game and I think people need to give him a bit of a break. I think people seem to believe he’s been slacking on that side of his game because he’s a bit lazy and only likes doing the fun bits but I think there might be more to it than that. It genuinely just does not come naturally to him which seems crazy when everything else does.

I mean, basically he is just a playmaker, a number 10 who likes to play from deep. At Juve he had some of the finest tactical midfielders you could hope for playing alongside him and he was allowed to play to his strengths.

Tl:dr: Hes not lazy, he’s just genuinely not a very natural defensively. I guess we need to decide if he’s good enough to accommodate in the role he likes or if we would be better off cashing in and getting a more rounded, better fit even if it’s an inferior player.
Or maybe he can learn those elements of the game?

Walters_19_MuFc

A lot better today. Still not the level I expect, but did what he had to do. Passed it simple when needed and had some flair when needed too.

Nice assist for Roms goal.

Paxi

I'm not sure what else you want him to do. Paul is a midfield player first and foremost. Today he done his job in the midfield, kept it simple, went forward when he could, worked for the team and got himself an assist. People judge him like he's a forward player sometimes.
I don't think he kept it simple. So far as I know doing some sort of a flick or a drag back everytime you get the ball is not keeping it simple. One thing he should learn is when to do the simple thing or when to try the audacious. Also, I feel like his work rate and final pass could be much better.

And by work rate - I guess I mean in terms of movement. He can pass the ball forward and receive a one-two, pick up a ball again and drive forward. Make more forward runs.

He didn't do badly today but I don't really get the enthusiasm either. He should be doing much more because he has the talent to.

Walters_19_MuFc

Well, i'm not sure if you watched Mo Diame's performance against Arsenal, but if you compare that to his early performances in midfield, he has improved big time, so as you said, yes, Pogba can definitely learn those elements of the game.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah maybe, I’m just considering the possibility that he’s genuine just not very good at it. We always assume that top players with obvious deficiencies will just concentrate on it a bit and “get” it eventually but is it that simple?

I suppose it’s more the notion that “well he’s good at the fun stuff so maybe he needs to concentrate a bit harder on the other stuff because it’s obviously down to him not trying rather than genuinely not grasping it”. Maybe that’s just me projecting my ADHD experience on to someone else :lol:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Today was an example as to why he could be one of the best players in the world.
His passing isn't as good as De Bruyne's but he still has a great range of passing. What makes him stand out from De Bruyne, is a performance like today.
Strong, quick, agile, good decision making and picking out the right passes at the right time.

Put all them attributes together and get him consistently doing that and you'd have one of the best midfielders in the world.
The thing that kills his game is his mind. That extra touch, that flick, that something that he tries to show off. Take that away from his game and we'd have the player we want.

Acole9

Outstanding
A couple of stupid passes he didn't need to do but apart from that a top performance. Should definitely start at the weekend.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
They scrapped that rule starting next season. 4th place goes straight to the groups now.
Even so, how can anyone say that 2nd or 4th doesn’t matter? It is baffling. We are not Arsenal and 4th would be completely unacceptable considering we have been 2nd for the majority of the season.

Mr PG

You mean like the stepover he did to shake the defender allowing Herrera space to slip the ball to Lingard for his assist for the 1st goal. It's annoying that since Jose's public criticizm it's like open season here on Pogba. We'd be nowhere near top 4 without this guy yet some people are talking like he's just a free-loader here.

Involved in both goals today as he was in both against city. Yet all i read is people posting shit here.

Paxi

You mean like the stepover he did to shake the defender allowing Herrera space to slip the ball to Lingard for his assist for the 1st goal. It's annoying that since Jose's public criticizm it's like open season here on Pogba. We'd be nowhere near top 4 without this guy yet some people are talking like he's just a free-loader here.

Involved in both goals today as he was in both against city. Yet all i read is people posting shit here.
Note where I said he should learn when to do it and when to just release the ball.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think he kept it simple. So far as I know doing some sort of a flick or a drag back everytime you get the ball is not keeping it simple. One thing he should learn is when to do the simple thing or when to try the audacious. Also, I feel like his work rate and final pass could be much better.

And by work rate - I guess I mean in terms of movement. He can pass the ball forward and receive a one-two, pick up a ball again and drive forward. Make more forward runs.

He didn't do badly today but I don't really get the enthusiasm either. He should be doing much more because he has the talent to.
He was the MOTM

Canagel

You are being too harsh. He was voted MOTM. Was involved in both our goals (although the first one less so. His work rate and passing was on point. Didn't lose possession once. There wasn't much of a between his performance here and the one against City. He was again performing at a high level.

Paxi

He was the MOTM
You are being too harsh. He was voted MOTM. Was involved in both our goals (although the first one less so. His work rate and passing was on point. Didn't lose possession once. There wasn't much of a between his performance here and the one against City. He was again performing at a high level.
Maybe I am being a bit too harsh. But watching the match I wasn't really blown away by his performance to say the least. And I still stand by him trying to do a bit too much at times with the flicks. Maybe it's just a pet hate of mine but I detest players doing a few step overs etc without really doing anything at all - which Pogba does!

Watching his individual highlights I still stand by that there is another level or two in his game. I mean he made a few good passes here and there, but he made few bad descisons as well. Anyway, for me, this is the absolute minimum he should be doing every game. Obviously, I don't expect him to assist every game etc. Assists can heavily pad the overall performance anyway, look at Mkhitaryan at the start of the season. Look as I was saying, with the player of his enormous talent, I fully believe that If he focuses, he can become unbelievable, Zidane level player.

Bwuk

Pogba needs to run forward more. When he does it he’s unstoppable.

He has it in him to be like what Yaya Toure was for City.

Really enjoyed both him and Herreras performance yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.