Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Bruno has claimed he’s excited to play with Pogba in the second part of his interview. I think he’s basically just said the same thing that sensible fans have been repeating for ages. Fans have unrealistic expectations from Pogba who is expected to carry an underperforming side. Bruno acknowledges this and says he thinks the pressure will be lower when he returns because we are currently in a good moment.

Personally, the thought of Bruno and Pogba in the same team alongside a fit and firing Rashford is mouth watering and I think they will prove it on the pitch when given the opportunity.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bruno has claimed he’s excited to play with Pogba in the second part of his interview. I think he’s basically just said the same thing that sensible fans have been repeating for ages. Fans have unrealistic expectations from Pogba who is expected to carry an underperforming side. Bruno acknowledges this and says he thinks the pressure will be lower when he returns because we are currently in a good moment.

Personally, the thought of Bruno and Pogba in the same team alongside a fit and firing Rashford is mouth watering and I think they will prove it on the pitch when given the opportunity.
Out of the two, one must surely need to operate deeper to what they're normally used to though, do you think they will be able to get the best out of each other?

From a technical standpoint it's a no brainer but where they're positioned on the pitch, I'm curious how it would work. Sort of reminds me of the Gerrard-Lampard issue. Not saying that's what will happen but they both have very similar skill sets suited best higher up the pitch.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Out of the two, one must surely need to operate deeper to what they're normally used to though, do you think they will be able to get the best out of each other?

From a technical standpoint it's a no brainer but where they're positioned on the pitch, I'm curious how it would work. Sort of reminds me of the Gerrard-Lampard issue. Not saying that's what will happen but they both have very similar skill sets suited best higher up the pitch.
Pogba has almost exclusively played deeper for us 6,8 and Bruno has most of his touches in the 10 position, so it will be like Pogba has always played just with a better player than Lingard or Perriera ahead of him.

Don’t worry, it’ll work great as both work hard too for supposed attacking players.

Brightonian

Pogba has almost exclusively played deeper for us 6,8 and Bruno has most of his touches in the 10 position, so it will be like Pogba has always played just with a better player than Lingard or Perriera ahead of him.

Don’t worry, it’ll work great as both work hard too for supposed attacking players.
Agree with this. Whenever it was pointed out that he played that deeper role for France at the WC very successfully, the retort was 'for France he had much better players in front of him'. Well, when we start playing again he will have Fernandes ahead of him, and a front line of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood or James or, hopefully at some point soon, Sancho. I don't see much to complain about there.

I was doubtful about the prospect of them playing together at first but it does seem perfectly viable the more I think about it. It definitely does suggest that we should look at an out-and-out defensive midfielder too, though. If both Pogba and Bruno are playing well, we won't want to drop either of them so it will be important to be able to add some proper defensive insurance in big games. The rest of the time, I expect Fred or McTominay should be more than capable of doing a job next to Pogba.

Zlatattack

I think we need to make sure we have a solid CDM though who can do the extra running and covering for him. I am excited at the prospect of seeing Pogba and Bruno in a midfield together though, ideally with Rashford, Martial and Sancho ahead of them.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Add Martial into the mix as well, with the likes of Fred and McTominay keeping the door locked and it starts to look quite mouthwatering.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think we need to make sure we have a solid CDM though who can do the extra running and covering for him. I am excited at the prospect of seeing Pogba and Bruno in a midfield together though, ideally with Rashford, Martial and Sancho ahead of them.
I think that Zakaria would be perfect, McTominay, Fred and Matic would give us fantastic depth.

TrustInJanuzaj

Add Martial into the mix as well, with the likes of Fred and McTominay keeping the door locked and it starts to look quite mouthwatering.
Yeh completely agreed, there’s clearly a massively renewed confidence and optimism at the moment surrounding the team and what we are trying to do and I think Ole deserves so much credit for that! Amazing to think how much Mourinho sucked away my love of the game.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think it’s a fair point mate and it’s the question on everyone’s lips. Personally I can see Ole trying a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 hybrid, with Pogba operating from the left and Bruno from the right which would look something like this .

————————Fred—————————
————————————Pogba————
—————Bruno———————————

In defence Pogba will cover the left side and slot in alongside Fred to protect the defence while Bruno protects the right and focusses his press on the opposition number 6. There is plenty of strength, energy and pace in this trio and of course we still have Matic and McTomminay to come in too. I think for the majority of games we play, we can dominate teams with this system. Having Pogba deeper able to find the runs of Fernandes will be the key to unlocking his goal scoring ability.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

But Pogbas best games from us tends to occur where he's stationed high up the pitch, making those late runs into the box. Taking Ole's first 10 games in charge for example. When he was stationed deeper at the start of this season, he seemed far less effective for the brief period he played.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Think the difference with Gerrard and Lampard is they were expected to operate as a pair. It is the third midfielder that would have made it work, which we will have in the current game. Otherwise we would have had a ‘can Kevin De Bruyne’ and David Silva play together in a two debate. They can’t of course, but add Fernandinho, then they both only need to help out a bit.

Personally, I’m not sure we have the Fernandinho we need for it just now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If he truly cared about this club he'd get his brother and agent to shut up. But he doesn't. They say what he knows he can't say himself.

Can't believe the grip he has on some fans on here. Barring Oles first 3 months where I genuinely thought he looked like the best player in the league.... He's been a very underwhelming signing. People seem to rewrite history a lot with Pogba and always talk about the what ifs rather than what he's done. KDB has come to the league and shown him up for me. Far superior player.
Other than KDB, who else has been better since he’s come back? And you speak about rewriting history, it’s more the other way around. His good games are quickly erased from history.

Simple question, do you think Pogba has played poorly more times than he’s played well since he returned?

TrustInJanuzaj

But Pogbas best games from us tends to occur where he's stationed high up the pitch, making those late runs into the box. Taking Ole's first 10 games in charge for example. When he was stationed deeper at the start of this season, he seemed far less effective for the brief period he played.
Again this is a fair point, but I’m convinced that Ole also knows this. Pogba will be given plenty of licence to get forward and get into the box himself, whatever system we play.

One thing that is often also overlooked is that we do have fairly defensive fullbacks. Now this means we can afford to have more adventurous mildfielders and then ask the fullbacks to play more aggressively in those middle quarter channels. I think people are obsessed with system Liverpool play with their two high upfield fullbacks however, they also have zero creativity in the middle and require workhorses to make it work. We can get away with other methods.

TrustInJanuzaj

Think the difference with Gerrard and Lampard is they were expected to operate as a pair. It is the third midfielder that would have made it work, which we will have in the current game. Otherwise we would have had a ‘can Kevin De Bruyne’ and David Silva play together in a two debate. They can’t of course, but add Fernandinho, then they both only need to help out a bit.

Personally, I’m not sure we have the Fernandinho we need for it just now.
I’d agree with this post as well, however, I personally think Fred could play that role fantastically and if City would have signed him that’s where he would be right now.

lenny_1248

Pogba has the best passing range among all midfielders in the world. It's just the defensive awareness he lacks as a holding midfielder and not this "jogging" bs.
However, to dictate the tempo of the game as a deep-lying playmaker you need to be clever, not just be able to execute passes. So, it will be interesting to see Pogba in that role. Potentially, he can be sensational in that role, although yes, some if his qualities are better in the final third. But football is a team sport, so the sacrifices need to be made.
Ole can also go with 4-3-3 with Bruno and Pogba as 8's. Especilly considering that Pogba likes to operate from the left and Bruno from the right. But it was interesting that in the beginning of this season Pogba played as a right cdm/cm. Maybe because of AWB.
And I think the buying of a cdm can wait for another year. We can't solve all our problems in one window. It's just the first year of Ole's rebuild, we need to go step by step.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It’s not just the first games of this season, it’s most of the games he’s played for us. I think he plays in an 8 role with Bruno kind of a 10. With both having the license to switch positions. Pogba playing passes between the lines, Bruno finding space as he does and Pogba can still have the license to run from deep.

I think timing is important in football, Bruno coming into the team now with the signings we made in the summer, now having Pogba and Rashford to come back. We suddenly look like we could be a force. IF and it’s a big if, Pogba can’t work in this team (he’s been our best player for three years already) then we should sell him and sign someone who will work. But it will work, people might just have to readjust their unrealistic expectations, but with Bruno in the team and Rashfords transformation, plus Martial and hopefully Sancho....there will be less burden on Pogba.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’d agree with this post as well, however, I personally think Fred could play that role fantastically and if City would have signed him that’s where he would be right now.
I think he’s a very good midfielder but I have some doubts as to whether he has the physical presence to be a sole defensive midfielder. I wouldn’t necessarily bet against him, but it’s a concern for me. He has an engine but isn’t that strong. Matic is still the best ‘defensive’ midfielder we have I think.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think he’s a very good midfielder but I have some doubts as to whether he has the physical presence to be a sole defensive midfielder. I wouldn’t necessarily bet against him, but it’s a concern for me. He has an engine but isn’t that strong. Matic is still the best ‘defensive’ midfielder we have I think.
Yeh, that's a fair enough concern and one that I share albeit I'm hopeful Fred can step up again. I think like with a lot of these hypothetical team sheets, it's about the wider team and system as well and even the opposition to some degree. If Ole can continue the team's evolution to be more dominating on the ball then a weaker midfield might be okay. If we plan on staying a counter-attacking unit then perhaps you will be proved right and we won't have enough steel.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Other than KDB, who else has been better since he’s come back? And you speak about rewriting history, it’s more the other way around. His good games are quickly erased from history.

Simple question, do you think Pogba has played poorly more times than he’s played well since he returned?
He's had a lot of bad games mate. Way too many for a so called world class player. Probably more in 3 seasons than Scholes had in 12. That's the difference.

Also David Silva has been better too. Past his best now but Pogba hasn't got close to Silva at City at his peak.

Like I said take that 3 month Ole honeymoon period away and he's been a bit of a nothing player really considering he cost 90m. Finished 6th twice with him being fit most of the time. He's hardly kicked us on has he? Gerrard even dragged a few average Liverpool teams higher than 6th.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yeh completely agreed, there’s clearly a massively renewed confidence and optimism at the moment surrounding the team and what we are trying to do and I think Ole deserves so much credit for that! Amazing to think how much Mourinho sucked away my love of the game.
Mourinho was horrible by the end. I am still not 100% convinced about Ole but let’s see if he can turn a good run of form into a concerted challenge. There is certainly a much better atmosphere.

laughtersassassin

He's had a lot of bad games mate. Way too many for a so called world class player. Probably more in 3 seasons than Scholes had in 12. That's the difference.

Also David Silva has been better too. Past his best now but Pogba hasn't got close to Silva at City at his peak.

Like I said take that 3 month Ole honeymoon period away and he's been a bit of a nothing player really considering he cost 90m. Finished 6th twice with him being fit most of the time. He's hardly kicked us on has he? Gerrard even dragged a few average Liverpool teams higher than 6th.
You forgetting a second place finish in there mate.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Essay incoming :wenger:

I think the problems for Pogba have been largely based around how opinion/perception is formed. The facts and figures are there. He’s had far more good games than he’s had poor ones. In the last few years, David Silva has probably had almost as many poor/below par games as he’s had good ones. I think two things count most when it comes to these things - performances in big games and overall success of your team.

Pogba has a huge reputation and price tag, and when the big games have come around, he has been expected to be the star of the show. Quite often, he has not been. That said, if I was to really list all the big games one by one, he’s had plenty of good performances, but the second point is - they haven’t really mattered due to ultimate failure, and there’s only so much praise you can get if your team is underachieving. Conversely, some people actually believe Jordan Henderson has been the best player in the PL this year - which he hasn’t, by a distance.

I think when judging players, below par games are forgotten more easily when they are part of great, winning teams. On the flip side, good performances are forgotten very quickly when you are part of a poor side or one falling short of expectation. It’s just the way of the game. Ballon D’ors tend to come from World Cup or CL winning teams etc.

Your statement about Scholes (although I doubt you were speaking literally) is of course inaccurate if we were to forensically analyse each game. But the ‘12 year period’ you speak of is basically 12 years of success for United. Every player who played a part in that is remembered for what they were good at/contributed rather than their weaknesses and bad games. I see players like Park Ji Sung spoken about as a folk hero from the past, Louis Saha implied to have been one of the very top bracket players. The reality is, for me, if United were 4th or 5th, Park would be far from good enough for most. I’ve seen him compared to Lingard as a miles better version, but in reality, he wasn’t really.

Back to Pogba, I won’t say he hasn’t had bad games at all. I’m saying that he’s had plenty of good ones. A random game I will pluck from nowhere could be Palace away in 2016 I think, where he turned the game for us after we went 1-0 down. Equalised and then set up a late winner for Zlatan. I think the following week he set up an equaliser for Martial and scored a late winner himself. These are just random unmemorable games. Airbrushed from memory. Put them in the context of a title winning season, however, and the narrative is very different. They came in December that year, and I think we went through a run of many games where every goal we scored was either scored or created by Pogba or Zlatan. But the further into history that goes, the less relevant that spell, for example, gets - because we finished 6th. Fast forward 3 years, it can be forgotten altogether and people can say ‘other than a spell when Ole took over’. It isn’t true. And that spell isn’t the only spell, it was one of many examples I could have used. And it was longer than the games I listed to, it was just an example, but a spell you would quickly recall if we had won the league.

This is why players tend to want to play for the best teams and win trophies in order to get the recognition even on an individual level. The rest gets forgotten in time. Ultimately, it’s easier to make a case that they were not ‘good enough’. I can assure you that if we had won one title and only qualified for the CL once or twice in the 12 years you speak of, you will likely have a different assessment of how that period went for Scholes. It’s similar when I get into debates about Giggs. We’re going back over a lot of years. Why would people remember bad games when the team was winning everything? It’s very hard to compete with, unless being compared to a player who also played a part in several trophies.

I would like to make it clear that I don’t dispute that Pogba has had his share of below par games for us. The reality is, if anyone can be bothered to go through these things game by game over years - most top players have many, and I think in real terms, Pogba hasn’t had more, necessarily, than others who are held in higher regard. Pogba would be described as ‘good games and bad games’, for example, while Zidane’s career will be summarised differently. It’s very nuanced I think. Zidane wasn’t the most celebrated version of himself in at least half of the games he played in reality. He is one of the most decorated players of his time though, and crucially, has had some massive individual moments at the right time.

If Pogba had played exactly as he has for last 3 years and we had won major honours, perhaps we had Cristiano Ronaldo in his prime and Rooney and Rio etc too and a great team - he would likely be considered to have made a major impact and been a successful signing. It would be an easy argument to make. I could pull up a number of videos on YouTube that show all the good things he’s done, and coupled with our success, anyone arguing that he hasn’t been brilliant would look silly. A random game at Southampton where he didn’t do much but Ronaldo won it for us, on the way to a league and cup double, would simply not exist anymore. Just like those games don’t exist for Silva, De Bruyne, Firmino, Zidane, Scholes and Giggs. Unless you are a striker who presents his case by numbers, ‘consistency’ is largely an illusion in football. Pogba hasn’t been as bad as is made out. De Bruyne (although better, I must stress), hasn’t been as good as made out. It just matters more when he is. Being part of a great team helps great players, and helps their reputations. That isn’t me saying ‘yea, it’s not Pogba’s fault, it’s everyone else’s’, it’s simply me saying that it’s nobody’s and everybody’s fault at the same time. They all need to help each other. Pogba must accept his share of the blame by virtue of being part of the team. But it’s all linked. Valencia would have been considered the best RB in the league in 16/17 if we had won it. He, personally, was brilliant. We finished 2nd in 2018 but other than the keeper, had nobody in the team of the season. We were not considered to have had a good season, due to our expectations. Liverpool finished 4th, and they were praised more highly, collectively and individually. For them, they had had a good year. Sheffield United will have more players considered to have had a good season than us, even if we finish 4th and them 5th or 6th.

In summary, as he is not a striker, I think it is almost possible to be considered a unanimous success in a United team finishing outside the top 4 regularly, and he would certainly be considered successful if the team was winning titles. Same player both times of course.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think the problems for Pogba have been largely based around how opinion/perception is formed. The facts and figures are there. He’s had far more good games than he’s had poor ones. In the last few years, David Silva has probably had almost as many poor/below par games as he’s had good ones. I think two things count most when it comes to these things - performances in big games and overall success of your team.

Pogba has a huge reputation and price tag, and when the big games have come around, he has been expected to be the star of the show. Quite often, he has not been. That said, if I was to really list all the big games one by one, he’s had plenty of good performances, but the second point is - they haven’t really mattered due to ultimate failure, and there’s only so much praise you can get if your team is underachieving. Conversely, some people actually believe Jordan Henderson has been the best player in the PL this year - which he hasn’t, by a distance.

I think when judging players, below par games are forgotten more easily when they are part of great, winning teams. On the flip side, good performances are forgotten very quickly when you are part of a poor side or one falling short of expectation. It’s just the way of the game. Ballon D’ors tend to come from World Cup or CL winning teams etc.

Your statement about Scholes (although I doubt you were speaking literally) is of course inaccurate if we were to forensically analyse each game. But the ‘12 year period’ you speak of is basically 12 years of success for United. Every player who played a part in that is remembered for what they were good at/contributed rather than their weaknesses and bad games. I see players like Park Ji Sung spoken about as a folk hero from the past, Louis Saha implied to have been one of the very top bracket players. The reality is, for me, if United were 4th or 5th, Park would be far from good enough for most. I’ve seen him compared to Lingard as a miles better version, but in reality, he wasn’t really.

Back to Pogba, I won’t say he hasn’t had bad games at all. I’m saying that he’s had plenty of good ones. A random game I will pluck from nowhere could be Palace away in 2016 I think, where he turned the game for us after we went 1-0 down. Equalised and then set up a late winner for Zlatan. I think the following week he set up an equaliser for Martial and scored a late winner himself. These are just random unmemorable games. Airbrushed from memory. Put them in the context of a title winning season, however, and the narrative is very different. They came in December that year, and I think we went through a run of many games where every goal we scored was either scored or created by Pogba or Zlatan. But the further into history that goes, the less relevant that spell, for example, gets - because we finished 6th. Fast forward 3 years, it can be forgotten altogether and people can say ‘other than a spell when Ole took over’. It isn’t true. And that spell isn’t the only spell, it was one of many examples I could have used. And it was longer than the games I listed to, it was just an example, but a spell you would quickly recall if we had won the league.

This is why players tend to want to play for the best teams and win trophies in order to get the recognition even on an individual level. The rest gets forgotten in time. Ultimately, it’s easier to make a case that they were not ‘good enough’. I can assure you that if we had won one title and only qualified for the CL once or twice in the 12 years you speak of, you will likely have a different assessment of how that period went for Scholes. It’s similar when I get into debates about Giggs. We’re going back over a lot of years. Why would people remember bad games when the team was winning everything? It’s very hard to compete with, unless being compared to a player who also played a part in several trophies.

I would like to make it clear that I don’t dispute that Pogba has had his share of below par games for us. The reality is, if anyone can be bothered to go through these things game by game over years - most top players have many, and I think in real terms, Pogba hasn’t had more, necessarily, than others who are held in higher regard. Pogba would be described as ‘good games and bad games’, for example, while Zidane’s career will be summarised differently. It’s very nuanced I think. Zidane wasn’t the most celebrated version of himself in at least half of the games he played in reality. He is one of the most decorated players of his time though, and crucially, has had some massive individual moments at the right time.

If Pogba had played exactly as he has for last 3 years and we had won major honours, perhaps we had Cristiano Ronaldo in his prime and Rooney and Rio etc too and a great team - he would likely be considered to have made a major impact and been a successful signing. It would be an easy argument to make. I could pull up a number of videos on YouTube that show all the good things he’s done, and coupled with our success, anyone arguing that he hasn’t been brilliant would look silly. A random game at Southampton where he didn’t do much but Ronaldo won it for us, on the way to a league and cup double, would simply not exist anymore. Just like those games don’t exist for Silva, De Bruyne, Firmino, Zidane, Scholes and Giggs. Unless you are a striker who presents his case by numbers, ‘consistency’ is largely an illusion in football. Pogba hasn’t been as bad as is made out. De Bruyne (although better, I must stress), hasn’t been as good as made out. It just matters more when he is. Being part of a great team helps great players, and helps their reputations. That isn’t me saying ‘yea, it’s not Pogba’s fault, it’s everyone else’s’, it’s simply me saying that it’s nobody’s and everybody’s fault at the same time. They all need to help each other. Pogba must accept his share of the blame by virtue of being part of the team. But it’s all linked. Valencia would have been considered the best RB in the league in 16/17 if we had won it. He, personally, was brilliant. We finished 2nd in 2018 but other than the keeper, had nobody in the team of the season. We were not considered to have had a good season, due to our expectations. Liverpool finished 4th, and they were praised more highly, collectively and individually. For them, they had had a good year. Sheffield United will have more players considered to have had a good season than us, even if we finish 4th and them 5th or 6th.

In summary, as he is not a striker, I think it is almost possible to be considered a unanimous success in a United team finishing outside the top 4 regularly, and he would certainly be considered successful if the team was winning titles. Same player both times of course.
Another excellent post Rozay, you’re a credit to the forum at the moment. It would be an incredibly interesting study to look at perceptions of team and player links.

laughtersassassin

Yeah and it was a certain DDG that got us that. Pogba certainly didn't.
One player got us it? Well we wouldn't have got it without either that's for sure. I swear you talk like we create fine without the man. Literally until we got Bruno we where incapable of creating chances without Pogba. In attack we had one man who could create and that's the man you blame? Mad as a hatter.

Also we most likely wouldn't of won the Europa without Pogba. He Rashford and Ibra before he got injured bossed that tournament.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
One player got us it? Well we wouldn't have got it without either that's for sure. I swear you talk like we create fine without the man. Literally until we got Bruno we where incapable of creating chances without Pogba. In attack we had one man who could create and that's the man you blame? Mad as a hatter.

Also we most likely wouldn't of won the Europa without Pogba. He Rashford and Ibra before he got injured bossed that tournament.
Why do you lot go out of the way to defend a player that clearly hasn't been a success with us and clearly wants to leave?

Its so strange.

laughtersassassin

Why do you lot go out of the way to defend a player that clearly hasn't been a success with us and clearly wants to leave?

Its so strange.
Who do you lot go out of the way to pretend he hasn't been our best creative player in every season he has been here?

Why do you lot go out of your way to convince people he was faking an injury?

It's so strange.

In terms of a real answer wanting to leave isn't a crime and I rather not blame the one player who contributes the most by far to us creating goals. Maybe the others should take some flack?

Pughnichi

I love that Bruno has laid it down to Pogba and basically said that the club/team expect him to be great. He has tied it with a bow and praised Pogba but it could be interpreted as a call to perform consistently and at a level most of us expect and believe him to capable of. Bruno certainly seems to demand quality from those around him

laughtersassassin

I love that Bruno has laid it down to Pogba and basically said that the club/team expect him to be great. He has tied it with a bow and praised Pogba but it could be interpreted as a call to perform consistently and at a level most of us expect and believe him to capable of. Bruno certainly seems to demand quality from those around him
You seen Bruno play for us yeah? You see how frustrated he gets with some of our less talented players?

He will be begging to have Pogba and Rashford to play with.

By the way I love that he gets pissed at our bad players so visibly reminds me of Ronaldo for us.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Its so strange.
People talk like Pogba came into a performing United team and was underwhelming in it. The fact is it's the team that hasn't been a success including Pogba. But we've seen what Pogba is like in a performing team - Juve, France, Ole's first few months with us.......he's a joy to watch. Put him in an underperforming team and he will underperform. Put him in a performing team and he will shine. It's that fecking simple

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is key to creating top teams tbh. The players need to demand high standards from each other.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I guess you see what you want to see ?

TrustInOle

Excellently put Rozay. As trustinjanuzaj said, credit to the forum atm. Also your post on the perception of Pogba a few days ago was quite impressive. Refreshing to see a well structured argument on here these days compared to the quick un-thoughtout negativity Pogba has received in recent times.

I am in full agreement with your standpoint and have nothing but time and appreciation for Pogba. Considering your excellent POV, how do you feel towards Mino and his outburst the last 18 months? Last season I can understand as Mourinho clearly and unconventionally made Pogba out to be a scapegoat, but just seems strange he would carry on now, especially when the last 12/15 weeks we have been continually improving and had successful transfer windows to help push us further.

Could it now be a contract ploy or maybe disruption is occurring between player and agent? Or could Mino be speaking on Pogba's behalf to push for a move?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Who do you lot go out of the way to pretend he hasn't been our best creative player in every season he has been here?

Why do you lot go out of your way to convince people he was faking an injury?

It's so strange.

In terms of a real answer wanting to leave isn't a crime and I rather not blame the one player who contributes the most by far to us creating goals. Maybe the others should take some flack?
Best creative player in this team the last four years is not really an accolade.

Have you been totally satisfied with him then and didn't expect more?

laughtersassassin

Best creative player in this team the last four years is not really an accolade.

I expected more of him but I expected more of the club. A midfielder especially is only as great as his team.

The club has let the fans down more specifically the owners than Pogba has in his time here. If he is say 5% to blame his team mates maybe 15% the past managers and board members and owners are the remaining 80%.

So in my view his inconsistencies have always been the least of our troubles. If we had fixed all our other issues then you look at him.

But no for me you didn't look at the player who is still the best one you got and conclude that he is the root cause of all your problems when you have a million other problems.

Even in the games he is bad you know what I see? I see a team who passed the ball to Pogba and depends entirely on him to win us the game. It's a team sport everyone needs to contribute. Also love how he never hides and always takes the ball and tries to be the one to win us the game.

Others would run away from the responsibility. Good to have Bruno in too. Now it lessens the load on both if they get a season together.

If one has a bad game and the other a good one you will suddenly see less criticism all around because we will still have won. Happens in all good teams.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Nor is it your typical starting point for listing the problems with a team. That would be like starting with Jack Grealish when doing an autopsy of why Villa are so poor on the basis that it doesn’t matter that he’s the most creative person for a team that got relegated.

laughtersassassin

Nor is it your typical starting point for listing the problems with a team. That would be like starting with Jack Grealish when doing an autopsy of why Villa are so poor on the basis that it doesn’t matter that he’s the most creative person for a team that got relegated.
Exactly. If so we should steer well clear of Grealish because as this lad said even Gerrard could carry his team.

Mental to me how people move the goalposts to blame a player even they admit is doing better than 99% of our other players.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Excellently put Rozay. As trustinjanuzaj said, credit to the forum atm. Also your post on the perception of Pogba a few days ago was quite impressive. Refreshing to see a well structured argument on here these days compared to the quick un-thoughtout negativity Pogba has received in recent times.

I am in full agreement with your standpoint and have nothing but time and appreciation for Pogba. Considering your excellent POV, how do you feel towards Mino and his outburst the last 18 months? Last season I can understand as Mourinho clearly and unconventionally made Pogba out to be a scapegoat, but just seems strange he would carry on now, especially when the last 12/15 weeks we have been continually improving and had successful transfer windows to help push us further.

Could it now be a contract ploy or maybe disruption is occurring between player and agent? Or could Mino be speaking on Pogba's behalf to push for a move?
With regards to Raiola, I would say it is ‘not helpful’. On the whole, I have said many times that I have less problem with him than most seem to. And tbh, I don’t think football used to be as sensitive as this in the past. Agents always talk shit, they use the media in part of their chess battle with clubs to get what they want, and it has been that way for ages. In Raiola’s case tbh, I genuinely think he is actually just opinionated and gives his views on footy, which doesn’t make good reading for us, but no football commentators views have made good reading for us for a while.

That said, fans didn’t used to care as much as they do in this case. I’ve grown up reading comments attributed to agents of various players from around the world about their players ‘open’ to this, ‘considering’ that, ‘flattered’ about them. I’ve never seen a whole ‘we need to get this agent away from the club’ campaign as a result. Again, I don’t think it is helpful, mainly because we are the subject of such criticism and scrutiny at the moment, and it just fuels the negativity. If we were stronger, I’d care even less. It’s part of the game. Part of negotiation strategies. And I’ve said before, I doubt the club are as worked up about Raiola as the fans and media seem to be. All in a day’s work for them I suspect. They probably have more agents than him trying other tactics every day to strong arm them. They probably have agents of players in the fecking academy talking shit for an extra 2.5k a week, and has been the way for years.

With regards to ‘pushing for a move’, I don’t agree with that assessment necessarily. The simple facts are that since Pogba made his comments last May or June, about 3 or 4 months of transfer window have passed. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I didn’t really see the player or the agent trying to force their way out in either window. Given that a player can only leave during a window, for a player who I’ve read has been trying to ‘force a move’, there was notably little force applied! In the summer we received an actual bid from Real for Pogba, which of course we rejected as it was a joke. I didn’t notice any fuss, any demand that we reject it, any comments in the media at the time that ‘I’ve made my feelings clear, I hope the deal can get done’. Yea, there have been comments since then, but just the sort of stuff that happens in football with big players. I heard the same from Hazard’s camp for years regarding Madrid, the same regarding Mbappé and Real and so on. Nothing I would fall ‘forcing a move’. The agent of a different Real player used to do the same with us to get more money there. Casillas, Ramos, Coentrao etc. It’s modern football. When a player is going to leave, he will leave.

Trex

You should get a job as a pundit,you would be far better than the jokes on sky and espn.This is literally the post of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.