6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RashyForPM

As if by amazing coincidence Paul Pogba returns to Utd action on the eve on an International break for what feels like the 6th or 7th time in his United career. Anyone starting to see a theme? Call me a cynic all you want but it's amazing how it keeps happening.
That is pure nonsense. He was never injury plagued in his time here, up to last season anyway. I can only think of 1 or 2 occasions last season maybe.
Please provide the 6 occasions. Injuries. Length of time out. Come back game date and subsequent international break date.

If you can then fair play, look forwards to it.
Good reply :lol:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Please provide the 6 occasions. Injuries. Length of time out. Come back game date and subsequent international break date.

If you can then fair play, look forwards to it.
I don't have the facts. I said it feels like it is. I remember having this conversation several times about him in previous seasons. Always seems to be fit to go away with France and misses a lot of games for us.

Like I said could be a coincidence. However the cynical side of me doesn't think so. He clearly loves playing for France.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That is pure nonsense. He was never injury plagued in his time here, up to last season anyway. I can only think of 1 or 2 occasions last season maybe.

Another who can't read. I said it feels like. It certainly does feel like he does everything he can do to get fit for France to me. Not sure how many games he's missed for them over his time with us but it can't have been too many.

AgentSmith

For what it’s worth Pogba has spent 431 days injured out of the 1681 days since he signed for United according to this.

So just over 25% of the time he’s been at the club he’s been unavailable due to injury.

Don’t have anything to compare it to though so maybe it’s not that bad but it seems a fair amount tbf.

RashyForPM

Another who can't read. I said it feels like. It certainly does feel like he does everything he can do to get fit for France to me. Not sure how many games he's missed for them over his time with us but it can't have been too many.
Let’s be honest, no one would read such hyperbolic garbage attentively.

People keep accusing Pogba of indiscretions when he has little to no history of most of them and was fantastic for a period before this injury. Just weird. Some of our fans are going to drive a genuinely world class player out of our club.

RashyForPM

For what it’s worth Pogba has spent 431 days injured out of the 1681 days since he signed for United according to this.

So just over 25% of the time he’s been at the club he’s been unavailable due to injury.

Don’t have anything to compare it to though so maybe it’s not that bad but it seems a fair amount tbf.
Absolutely sure that 3 quarters of that time would have been last and this season, and some bits and bobs during Mourinho’s time. Not that bad in my view. I certainly wouldn’t consider him injury prone just yet.

DoomSlayer

I don't see him playing until mid-April, he's been gone for what, 2 months already? Won't be match fit and will have to be eased in, which is tough as we don't have any easy games, seeing as the season is in the final stretch.

Is it fair to assume that Pogba will probably be playing his last 10 (ish) matches for us?

AgentSmith

Absolutely sure that 3 quarters of that time would have been last and this season, and some bits and bobs during Mourinho’s time. Not that bad in my view. I certainly wouldn’t consider him injury prone just yet.
No I wouldn’t consider him injury prone either. But the recurrent nature of his ankle issue is definitely something to keep eye on.

I think the future of Pogba is the biggest question mark in the squad atm. All the other areas of need have pretty obvious solutions IMO; financial limitations are the only thing restricting us there. Pogba’s future is much harder to diagnose.

There’s not an obvious place for him in the current formation given the options to play next to him but we’ve desperately missed him over the past few months in spite of this. I feel we would have had very different results against Sheffield United, WBA, Palace etc. with Pogba on the pitch.

But then if he was playing against City I don’t think we would have produced the same level of performance as we did.

It feels like we need him to help beat the low-block defences but we can’t rely on him in the same role against better teams. A player we need but can’t trust.

And given this is our last chance to cash in on because he’s gone next year on a free it increases we need to make the choice on his future now.

It’s a difficult decision to decide whether it’s worth giving Pogba a bumper new £300,000 a week contract that takes him well into his 30s without him already having a clearly defined role in the team. But can we really afford to replace him this summer while also sorting out the other areas we desperately need to fill? I’ve no good answer either way.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Let’s be honest, no one would read such hyperbolic garbage attentively.

People keep accusing Pogba of indiscretions when he has little to no history of most of them and was fantastic for a period before this injury. Just weird. Some of our fans are going to drive a genuinely world class player out of our club.
You what?! Hahahahaha

If you truly believe Paul Pogba has poured his heart and soul into his 4 and a bit years with us you probably need to take up another sport mate. We're talking about a individual with so much ability that hasn't even won the United player of the year award let alone anything bigger. He's not applied himself to this club one bit. His attitude noticeably changes when he plays for France.

And yeah he was doing okay before the injury.....wonder why that is. Maybe because he wants Madrid, Juve or PSG to sign him. He's been a disastrous signing for us. And that's not down to his ability. It's down to him and him alone. Bruno has come in and rendered all the excuses used for him meaningless. Bruno doesn't have any more natural ability than Pogba but he's got something more important. He's got drive and a give his all every single game kind of attitude. Pogba sadly doesn't. More bothered about what shape he's going to shave into the side of his head than helping this club back to the top.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Since he signed in 16/17, transfermarkt has the following :
  • 16/17 - Hamstring - 18 days
  • 17/18 - Thigh muscle - 63 days
  • 18/19 - Muscle - 15 days
  • 18/19 - Thigh - 8 days
  • 18/19 - Knock - 3 days
  • 19/20 - Back - 8 days
  • 19/20 - Ankle - 25 days
  • 19/20 - Ankle - 79 days
  • 19/20 - Ankle - 161 days
  • 20/21 - Covid - 15 days
  • 20/21 - Ankle - 13 days
  • 20/21 - Knock - 4 days
  • 20/21 - Hamstring - 37 days
It's fair to say he's become injury prone. He was relatively injury free in 16/17 and 18/19, but had big injuries in the 3 other seasons. Generally he takes a while to get fit and get up to speed too. Take out 19/20 where he was out 75% of the year, and he's injured 13-14% of the time over his remaining days here... that's still not amazing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
By sheer common sense and probability, it would be of no surprise to anyone that any player is unfit for his club more than he is unfit for his country - given the massive disparity between the amount of games played for either!

If a player has 60 games a season at club level and 6 for his country.... well I’m sure I don’t even need to complete the rest tbh.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
By sheer common sense and probability, it would be of no surprise to anyone that any player is unfit for his club more than he is unfit for his country - given the massive disparity between the amount of games played for either!

If a player has 60 games a season at club level and 6 for his country.... well I’m sure I don’t even need to complete the rest tbh.
Nobody suggested otherwise. I said it seems like he gets fit in time just before an International break. It certainly feels like that's happened a few times before because I have thought about this before a few times.

I don't have any doubt that he's far more bothered about playing for France than he is for us. I just don't get the impression he's overly bothered about this football club one bit and his comments and his agent's comments clearly back that up.

If we can get a reasonable fee for him this summer it would be best to just get rid. He's not irreplaceable....not even close to actually. No good having the natural ability if you don't apply it very often. And he hasn't.

And that injury list is a huge concern in itself.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Great to have Paul back for the run in.

Doubt he will start against Milan, but could come on if the game starts to get stale to inject a bit of quality and chase the game.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Can't wait to see him play for us again. We missed him so much, we struggled to build the play from midfield, he was in very good form too when he got injured. Scored winner vs Burnley and a brilliant winner vs Fulham, his general play was very good.

roonster09

Scout
Great to have Paul back for the run in.

Doubt he will start against Milan, but could come on if the game starts to get stale to inject a bit of quality and chase the game.
We got 2 cup games and then maybe couple of games for France. Good time to build his fitness up for the run in.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nobody suggested otherwise. I said it seems like he gets fit in time just before an International break. It certainly feels like that's happened a few times before because I have thought about this before a few times.

I don't have any doubt that he's far more bothered about playing for France than he is for us. I just don't get the impression he's overly bothered about this football club one bit and his comments and his agent's comments clearly back that up.

If we can get a reasonable fee for him this summer it would be best to just get rid. He's not irreplaceable....not even close to actually. No good having the natural ability if you don't apply it very often. And he hasn't.

Well the second half of your post is the crux of the matter. You don’t think he’s bothered about United one bit, and would like him to go.

The ‘feelings’ you have forwarded around that have no validation at all, and you see what you want. I, for one, can recall a number of times he’s been unable to play for France due to injury. Including literally the last international break when he had COVID, yet ‘miraculously recovered just in time’ to play for United against Palace.

roonster09

Scout
He missed many games because of injury too and didnt make it in time to be fit. Why ignore that?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We got 2 cup games and then maybe couple of games for France. Good time to build his fitness up for the run in.
Yep, hopefully won't take too long to get back up to full speed this time either.

before he came off no pre season + covid which obviously effected him badly, but he had got back to his full fitness before this injury.

RUCK4444

Big portion of humble pie I’ve made for each and everyone of his haters... please form an orderly queue

Our form has dipped hugely in his absence. We should be doing everything we can to keep him here on a new contract and build this mediocre midfield around him. Top clubs keep their best players and make the most of them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wonder if Ole will throw him straight in. I'd imagine with it being away, and on a knife edge, he'll save him to come off the bench.

AgentSmith

Big portion of humble pie I’ve made for each and everyone of his haters... please form an orderly queue

Our form has dipped hugely in his absence. We should be doing everything we can to keep him here on a new contract and build this mediocre midfield around him. Top clubs keep their best players and make the most of them.
What would be your ideal midfield combination for the first game of next season?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I wonder if Ole will throw him straight in. I'd imagine with it being away, and on a knife edge, he'll save him to come off the bench.
It depends on what shape he’s been in in training I think. I think with his standing in Italian football, he’d want to play him, but the weekend I suspect he’ll start for sure, as domestic cup games are typically rotational games anyway.

RUCK4444

What would be your ideal midfield combination for the first game of next season?
New DM————Pogba
—————Bruno

We absolutely need a top DM to make that work consistently but if we can pull our finger out and do the obvious (sign an actual DM) then it instantly makes the most of Pogba and in turn Bruno, benefits the whole team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Let’s not do this. Big problem this ‘us against them’ malarkey anyway. As long as he’s here, we should all be on the same side, and those trying to diminish or undermine are a little odd to me anyway. The majority of football players leave their clubs at some point, for whatever reason. If and when he goes, he goes. But until then - he’s every but one of us as the next player.

RUCK4444

Let’s not do this. Big problem this ‘us against them’ malarkey anyway. As long as he’s here, we should all be on the same side, and those trying to diminish or undermine are a little odd to me anyway. The majority of football players leave their clubs at some point, for whatever reason. If and when he goes, he goes. But until then - he’s every but one of us as the next player.
Yeah in fairness your right.

This topic though has rumbled on for so freaking long that it’s really hard not to.

But your right, let’s group together and pretend the years of slagging him off didn’t happen:):angel:

AgentSmith

New DM————Pogba
—————Bruno

We absolutely need a top DM to make that work consistently but if we can pull our finger out and do the obvious (sign an actual DM) then it instantly makes the most of Pogba and in turn Bruno, benefits the whole team.
Yeah I like the look of that. But I don’t think it’s a workable midfield without that CDM like you say.

And then that leads to the issue of whether we can afford to solve our other problems while simultaneously spending big on a CDM.

It’s a tricky one because everything we know about the club’s finances says no.

DoomSlayer

Yeah in fairness your right.

This topic though has rumbled on for so freaking long that it’s really hard not to.

But your right, let’s group together and pretend the years of slagging him off didn’t happen:):angel:
Let's see what happens when Pogba is back in the team until the end of the season and also what happens in the summer. You are celebrating your own "victories" prematurely.

Marwood

I don't see him playing until mid-April, he's been gone for what, 2 months already? Won't be match fit and will have to be eased in, which is tough as we don't have any easy games, seeing as the season is in the final stretch.

Is it fair to assume that Pogba will probably be playing his last 10 (ish) matches for us?
I think he'll start tomorrow.

He won't be fully fit but with us needing a goal I can see Ole taking a bit of a risk.

Checking the training pics he looks trim. I'm surprised it's not been mentioned more but I think he's been "heavy" since the beginning of last season. Up until recently he's looked physically quite different from the guy who first arrived and it's not done him any favours. He's been slower, less agile, the powerful running has disappeared.

Of late he's looked better and it seems he's kept it that way during the recent layoff.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

The man has spent most of his career from 16+ at United, going so far as to re-join us when he had the option to join Real Madrid and you think he doesn't care about United?

RUCK4444

Let's see what happens when Pogba is back in the team until the end of the season and also what happens in the summer. You are celebrating your own "victories" prematurely.
No victory for me here bud. But your pretty much insinuating that you are waiting for him to fail, which has been fans negative view of him during his entire spell here.

We can all see the difference he makes, now that people realise it let’s just all get behind him instead of willing him to fail.

If perhaps we do finally sign an actual DM we will see a much better version of Pogba, one that can elevate us considerably imo.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Until the end of season, yes, but in the summer, not so much. If he leaves he leaves. That would have no bearing on his performances while he is here. He’ll maybe go in the summer. Maybe De Gea will too. Maybe Lingard will. It is what it is, players aren’t obligated to spend their whole career at a club. While they are at any given club though, the fans should all want the best, want to see them perform well instead of lying in wait and hoping for poor performances to score points.

David Beckham left. Darren Fletcher left. Roay Keane left. Nicky Butt left. This is football. Pogba is here now, which is all that matters really.

DoomSlayer

Until the end of season, yes, but in the summer, not so much. If he leaves he leaves. That would have no bearing on his performances while he is here. He’ll maybe go in the summer. Maybe De Gea will too. Maybe Lingard will. It is what it is, players aren’t obligated to spend their whole career at a club. While they are at any given club though, the fans should all want the best, want to see them perform well instead of lying in wait and hoping for poor performances to score points.

David Beckham left. Darren Fletcher left. Roay Keane left. Nicky Butt left. This is football. Pogba is here now, which is all that matters really.
Yeah, I agree. I hope if he is set on leaving, the club doesn't create another drama on it and just let him go. But the way @RUCK4444 is talking, it's as if Pogba has been world class since getting back to full fitness after the disastrous start of the season or as if him coming back now suddenly makes us favourites in the EL or FA cup.

Let's see the guy perform and judge him then, he was supposed to be back for Chelsea, yet hasn't played a single minute since and is still uncertain if he starts straight away or if he will need 2-3 games to get back into match rhythm. Like you said, the whole "point scoring" thing is ridiculous, we all should want what is best for the team and as far as I'm concerned, there would be nothing better than to see Pogba perform to world class levels that put him as one of the best CMs in the world. But he needs to actually do that on the pitch as these hypotheticals mean nothing in reality.

George the Cat

You what?! Hahahahaha

If you truly believe Paul Pogba has poured his heart and soul into his 4 and a bit years with us you probably need to take up another sport mate. We're talking about a individual with so much ability that hasn't even won the United player of the year award let alone anything bigger. He's not applied himself to this club one bit. His attitude noticeably changes when he plays for France.

And yeah he was doing okay before the injury.....wonder why that is. Maybe because he wants Madrid, Juve or PSG to sign him. He's been a disastrous signing for us. And that's not down to his ability. It's down to him and him alone. Bruno has come in and rendered all the excuses used for him meaningless. Bruno doesn't have any more natural ability than Pogba but he's got something more important. He's got drive and a give his all every single game kind of attitude. Pogba sadly doesn't. More bothered about what shape he's going to shave into the side of his head than helping this club back to the top.
You‘re spot on with this, funny how his form has picked up when He’s in the shop window, just like it did at the start of Ole’s reign , almost as a f—- you to Mourinho. If only he did have Bruno‘s attitude to match his ability......

RUCK4444

Yeah, I agree. I hope if he is set on leaving, the club doesn't create another drama on it and just let him go. But the way @RUCK4444 is talking, it's as if Pogba has been world class since getting back to full fitness after the disastrous start of the season or as if him coming back now suddenly makes us favourites in the EL or FA cup.

Let's see the guy perform and judge him then, he was supposed to be back for Chelsea, yet hasn't played a single minute since and is still uncertain if he starts straight away or if he will need 2-3 games to get back into match rhythm. Like you said, the whole "point scoring" thing is ridiculous, we all should want what is best for the team and as far as I'm concerned, there would be nothing better than to see Pogba perform to world class levels that put him as one of the best CMs in the world. But he needs to actually do that on the pitch as these hypotheticals mean nothing in reality.
His form was excellent, he was outperforming Bruno in that period, including two winning goals in our push for 1st spot, he got injured and we dipped hugely.

I mean that’s what happened, it’s even down to opinion really. Unless people want to project him in a negative light of course, which is oddly commonplace when it comes to Pogba.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Well the second half of your post is the crux of the matter. You don’t think he’s bothered about United one bit, and would like him to go.

The ‘feelings’ you have forwarded around that have no validation at all, and you see what you want. I, for one, can recall a number of times he’s been unable to play for France due to injury. Including literally the last international break when he had COVID, yet ‘miraculously recovered just in time’ to play for United against Palace.
Do you feel like he should stay then? Don't tell me you're fooled into thinking he actually wants to be here too?

I have always said he's a talent but there's clearly so much more to being a top player than talent. Pogba doesn't seem to want to put the work into his game and help this club. It definitely feels like Paul Pogba is his only concern.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Feck me, some of the hate this guy gets is despicable. Hope Paul is the matchwinner tomorrow and can shut these clowns up. Not criticizing everyone that thinks he's been underperforming or that he should be sold, just the ones that think there's some ulterior motive behind him playing well.

DoomSlayer

Feck me, some of the hate this guy gets is despicable. Hope Paul is the matchwinner tomorrow and can shut these clowns up. Not criticizing everyone that thinks he's been underperforming or that he should be sold, just the ones that think there's some ulterior motive behind him playing well.
He isn't the first and won't be the last player that ups their game for a new contract/a transfer to a better team.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Will be massive for solidifying the 2nd, and hopefully at least one of the FA Cup/Europa this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.