Paul Pogba - Juventus player

Pintu

Has he played a single minute for Juve this season yet?
I don’t think so. If I remember well, he got injured first in a preseason friendly in the US… And the injury was really badly managed. He wanted to avoid operation in order to be back in time for the WC… Ended up forced to get operated at a later date, missed the entire 5/6 months now.

jm99

The whole fire-sale thing feels exaggerated, to be honest. It's a big hit for them, but if they start selling their players, not making top spots will be the least of their problems, they can get relegated, and robbed and mismanaged as they may be, it's still Juve? They cannot really allow to get relegated, can they?
Are you too young to remember 2006? They got relegated and a 30 point deduction, they only managed to come back up because a decent amount of their players stuck around, which I don't see happening this time when teams in the bottom half of the Premier league can afford to spend 30-40m on a player

Pintu

Are you too young to remember 2006? They got relegated and a 30 point deduction, they only managed to come back up because a decent amount of their players stuck around, which I don't see happening this time when teams in the bottom half of the Premier league can afford to spend 30-40m on a player
Not 30 points. Only 9… Ended up wining Serie B with 85 points instead of 94…

You think there weren’t more clubs capable
of ripping them apart in 2006? Del Piero, Chiellini, Nedved, Trezeguet and Buffon stayed because they thought they’d be back up soon enough. Running away from one season in B wasn’t worth changing everything for them… But it took them 6 years to win the league again… In hindsight I’d say that Trezegeut and Nedevd definitely wasted their last good years playing a year in B and then fighting for top 4/5 in Serie A with no shot at trophies…. 2011/12 does somewhat save Del Piero’s choice…

Oranges038

They lost a good chunk of their best players. Only paid 4m for Newcastle legend Boumsong and the rest were frees and loans.

DEPARTURES 06/07

ARRIVALS 06/07

Still had more than enough to get back up first time round easily enough and get back to the top end of the league at the first attempt.

They really don't have that many players that you could say would be interested in doing that this time round. A good chunk of them are the wrong side of 30, the rest of it is fairly mediocre.

jm99

Not 30 points. Only 9… Ended up wining Serie B with 85 points instead of 94…

You think there weren’t more clubs capable
of ripping them apart in 2006? Del Piero, Chiellini, Nedved, Trezeguet and Buffon stayed because they thought they’d be back up soon enough. Running away from one season in B wasn’t worth changing everything for them… But it took them 6 years to win the league again… In hindsight I’d say that Trezegeut and Nedevd definitely wasted their last good years playing a year in B and then fighting for top 4/5 in Serie A with no shot at trophies…. 2011/12 does somewhat save Del Piero’s choice…
Oh yeah I was mistaking the original penalty with what it got reduced to on appeal. I suppose its not just the clubs capable of ripping them apart now, serie a has declined massively from the mid 2000s and I don't think there's as many players who'd be as loyal to the club as there were then

Stadjer

He'll be back next week, I'm curious to see if he's still the same as when he left after so many years and so many injuries..
I doubt that he will be the same. There was a clear difference between early second term Pogba and late second term Pogba for Manchester United. He can still pass but looked a lot slower on the pitch. He looked heavy and slow at times.

He also became very injury prone so i dont think he will ever be the same player he was during his Juventus and early second Manchester United period player again.

Pintu

Unused Sub on the bench Yesterday in 2-0 home defeat !
#Pagbenched
2-0 home defeat to newbies Monza. (Juventus lost the first leg as well)… I believe the commentator says it was a first in the history of Serie A that a newly promoted side managed a double against one of the big teams…

I watched the game. They were horrendous in the first half, and looked a lot better in the second with the subs. But it seemed Allegri didn’t want to risk throwing Pogba back in so soon. He will probably get minutes against Lazio in the Coppa. With Napoli already out and other teams having to fight for top 4, Juventus has a decent shot at the Coppa (their only reasonable chance of securing an EL place for next season)…

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
@JPRouve remember when we argued about those Dubai facilities? Looks like they meant feck all for his injuries(but we're quite productive for his lifestyle, as we all suspected it will be the case).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve remember when we argued about those Dubai facilities? Looks like they meant feck all for his injuries(but we're quite productive for his lifestyle, as we all suspected it will be the case).
What is the purpose of the tags(it's at least the third time)? I don't really care about Pogba or you.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
What is the purpose of the tags(it's at least the third time)? I don't really care about Pogba or you.
It's not the third time, but you definitely enjoyed laughing to some of us when we said Dubai was always wrong idea back then, but you don't seem to care now when you are proved wrong.

cyberman

To be fair if I were Paul I wouldn’t rush back neither.
Get fit for the last 12 odd games if the season and get a move when Juve gets fecked down to serie B. I’d bet he’s a Barca player by August

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's not the third time, but you definitely enjoyed laughing to some of us when we said Dubai was always wrong idea back then, but you don't seem to care now when you are proved wrong.
It is the third time. I don't really know if I laughed at anyone on that topic but I remember two things first stating that we should sell Pogba in 2019 or 2020 because he was injury prone and also stated that there was nothing strange about a player doing his recovery outside of his club because Football clubs don't have the best facilities and there is no need to add work on the current medical staff. And it's not something specific to United, Pogba or Football.

I don't think that I have ever told you that going to Dubai or anywhere else would fix long term issues or injury proneness but if I did then I don't know what I was thinking. I also care about United players, Pogba isn't a United player.

It's quite amazing what those Dubai facilities can do for your fitness, right @JPRouve ?

Djemba-Djemba

I've been saying it for the last couple of years.

If you think he's massively overrated or you think he's World class it really doesn't matter anymore.

His fitness record is absolutely appalling and that's the biggest reason I wanted him gone. His body isn't up for playing top level football consistently anymore.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If a player's body has broken down to that extent, there isn't much to do tbh. Rehabing at Man Utd facilities or abroad, it can help or it simply cannot.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He never was world class to the levels people thought. He had talent, of course, but hard work always trumps talent. He was lucky to have such an incredible hype and marketing machine behind him which meant he earned very well despite being a very good (not world class) player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Injured again.

Flexor soreness sounds like a fairly trivial injury. His hip flexors (hamstrings) are sore. Which can happen when returning after a long time out. Plus players who’ve had a lot of injuries are more likely to over-react to minor aches and pains (see also Martial) Anyhoo. At least we’re spared the inevitable Juve flicks and tricks highlight reel and “never should have let him go” posts for few more weeks. Every cloud…

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
It is the third time. I don't really know if I laughed at anyone on that topic but I remember two things first stating that we should sell Pogba in 2019 or 2020 because he was injury prone and also stated that there was nothing strange about a player doing his recovery outside of his club because Football clubs don't have the best facilities and there is no need to add work on the current medical staff. And it's not something specific to United, Pogba or Football.

I don't think that I have ever told you that going to Dubai or anywhere else would fix long term issues or injury proneness but if I did then I don't know what I was thinking. I also care about United players, Pogba isn't a United player.
Oh, you were right, it's the third time! You obviously cared enough to remember.

BarstoolProphet

I've been saying it for the last couple of years.

If you think he's massively overrated or you think he's World class it really doesn't matter anymore.

His fitness record is absolutely appalling and that's the biggest reason I wanted him gone. His body isn't up for playing top level football consistently anymore.
This. Don't think his body will allow him to play consistantly to get back to his top level again, which I feel sad for him. A huge part of his downfall at United also.

SER19

What a blessing it was finally getting rid of him. I regret that he ever played for United and will remember him as one of the few players who embodied the worst of the post Ferguson decade

Foolsgold21

Still can’t get over that the club offered him an extension - imagine being stuck with the overrated crock for the next 3/4 years.

I presume the offer was back when we were under Woodward?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He never was world class to the levels people thought. He had talent, of course, but hard work always trumps talent. He was lucky to have such an incredible hype and marketing machine behind him which meant he earned very well despite being a very good (not world class) player.
You don't have hype with luck. It's based on elements that can be debated for sure but luck has nothing to do with it