Paul Pogba - Juventus player

Jericholyte2

Pogba, Neymar, Hazard, Ozil, Sanchez. A shame to see players who were world class in their mid 20s and even before, end their careers like this.
We’ll see even more of this in the coming years due to the demands of fixtures year after year with the pace and physicality of football as it is now.

Players playing 40, 50 games a season from their early twenties will be done before they’re 30.

Chip

We’ll see even more of this in the coming years due to the demands of fixtures year after year with the pace and physicality of football as it is now.

Players playing 40, 50 games a season from their early twenties will be done before they’re 30.
Yet we are seeing more players than ever performing into their mid to late 30s. Cristiano, Modric, Benzema, Lewandowski, Busquets etc.

Strange that it varies so much. I guess it comes down to genetics, luck with injuries, and new schools of training regimens/taking care of their bodies.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

But that's nothing new. Lampard and Gerrard were averaging almost 50 games a season for 7 years straight.

Woodzy

I can see why people wouldn’t have sympathy for him but it is quite sad to be fair, not nice for any player to go through that.

Still it’s easier to sympathise with other injury prone players, because Pogba was doing absurd things like flirting with other clubs and making strange documentaries.

LordSpud

I can see why people wouldn’t have sympathy for him but it is quite sad to be fair, not nice for any player to go through that.

Still it’s easier to sympathise with other injury prone players, because Pogba was doing absurd things like flirting with other clubs and making strange documentaries.
Indeed, he only seemed a bit more powerful because he had Raiola as his mouthpiece. Now Raiola is gone and Pogba just appears to be washed.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He never recovered from that one big injury he had here in 2019, probably. Something like 30 games that season with his ankle.

I’d wager a guess at that point the rest of the body overcompensates for the weaker areas in the legs and then injuries in other places become more prevalent? (No idea how scientifically accurate that is — sounds logical in my head)
I once injured my ankle, think it was my left leg. I was in pain so I couldn't walk properly and I never had that checked or properly treated, then in less than a month I started to develop a differnt injury on my right knee. I think it was caused for shifting my weight to my good leg (the right one). I recovered from both injuries eventually.

As for Pogba I don't know what the hell is wrong with him and his body. Never wanted him in Real Madrid when Zidane wanted him, from early on his professionalism was quite questionable and he wasn't worth the amount of money United payed for him but I was pretty glad he ended up there. So it's very difficult for me to empathize with him as I perceive him as a problematic and unprofessional player.

el3mel

You can say anything about him, but the funniest thing for me is that he looks physically done at 30 years old. He has been injury prone for few years now which was totally unexpected looking at his record when he joined United coming from Juve.

Reminds me of Bale, who looked like a beast but muscular injuries fecked him up completely.

Jericholyte2

Yet we are seeing more players than ever performing into their mid to late 30s. Cristiano, Modric, Benzema, Lewandowski, Busquets etc.

Strange that it varies so much. I guess it comes down to genetics, luck with injuries, and new schools of training regimens/taking care of their bodies.
But who is the ‘etc’ beyond your list there, who is playing their absolute best post-33yrs old who isn’t a genetic anomaly?

flappyjay

Ole happened.

He had niggling problems under Mourinho but nothing serious and were never out for more than 4 games at most. Then Ole rushed him back from his foot injury in Dec 19, he immediately relapsed and since then his injuries blew up exponentially.
Same has happened to Martial, he had niggling injuries and now he is full blown injury prone. Rashford and his shoulder seem to have came out of it unscathed thankfully.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's actually amazing that we offered him any decent contract(let alone long term contract that was over 250k which was reported back then) considering his injury record, just goes to show that we really have some idiots in our club. And that wasn't long time ago either.
Don’t hold your breath — David De Gea saga is far from over…

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's played less minutes than van de Beek this season. If he doesn't bounce back next season it's hard to see his career continuing at a high level.

dazjoe

But who is the ‘etc’ beyond your list there, who is playing their absolute best post-33yrs old who isn’t a genetic anomaly?
Giggs, Scholes, Maldini, Ibrahimovic, Silva, Messi. There's loads of players still playing well/carried out playing well into their mid to late 30's. And he didn't say they were playing to their absolute best just that they were still performing. You could go back to the early days of the Premier League and see the likes of Robson, Strachen, Bruce, Beardsley, Waddle, Hoddle, still playing regular at 34/35.
There's more at the top level still performing at that age as there are burnt out by late 20's, I would say.

SirScholes

Pogba has multiple league titles, a CL final, a Europa league title and a World Cup under his belt with some other miscellaneous domestic titles

He’s had a career most professional players can only dream of
Phil Jones has 7 winners medals, doesn't make him top 5% of anything

When he ends his career, everyone will agree he wasted his talent, picked the wrong agent

Stadjer

Ole happened.

He had niggling problems under Mourinho but nothing serious and were never out for more than 4 games at most. Then Ole rushed him back from his foot injury in Dec 19, he immediately relapsed and since then his injuries blew up exponentially.
Ole really came in like a wrecking ball.. broke very talented players like Pogba and Martial (both players disliked by the fans because of their injuries now) and wasted tons of money. Making Ole the permanent manager has to be the worst pre Ferguson decision made…

Almost broke Rashford too.

el3mel

Pogba has multiple league titles, a CL final, a Europa league title and a World Cup under his belt with some other miscellaneous domestic titles

He’s had a career most professional players can only dream of
A CL final isn't an achievement.

The only thing he will be proud of comes the end of his career will be the World Cup medal, as things stand.

A very underwhelming career for a player of his talent and considering the hype surrounding him.

While I think he didn't help himself here and was all to blame for his performance at United, I won't blame anyone for claiming that United move ruined his career.

He was at the peak of his career at 24 when he joined United, coming from a team dominating their domestic league to a shaky team been shit for 3 years and going into a rebuilding project with no guarantee for success. He didn't help himself at United but United also has been an awful environment for helping players improve these last 10 years.

el3mel

Ole really came in like a wrecking ball.. broke very talented players like Pogba and Martial (both players disliked by the fans because of their injuries now) and wasted tons of money. Making Ole the permanent manager has to be the worst pre Ferguson decision made…

For a club legend who should be putting the club first and foremost as his biggest priority, the guy had no issue ruining players' careers by running them into ground and rushing them from major injuries just to save his job.

sugar_kane

Gutting for him, he’s had some shit luck this past 12 months.

Astonishing (or not, knowing this place) that three posters have already blamed Ole of all people for this latest injury.

Based on how often and long Pogba was out injured while being managed by Solskjaer I seriously doubt Ole had any influence over how soon he came back or at any time forced him to play against his will.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Astonishing (or not, knowing this place) that three posters have already blamed Ole of all people for this latest injury.

Based on how often and long Pogba was out injured while being managed by Solskjaer I seriously doubt Ole had any influence over how soon he came back or at any time forced him to play against his will.
Last 12 months? More like last 5 years.

2016/17 - 1 month out
2017/18 - 2 months out
2018/19 - No injuries
2019/20 - 5 months out
2020/21 - 1,5 months out
2021/22 - 4 months out
2022/23 - 7 months out

Ralph1386

I always said during his time here that he had no sense of player rotation and managing a squad.

dpansheth

Last 12 months? More like last 5 years.

2016/17 - 1 month out
2017/18 - 2 months out
2018/19 - No injuries
2019/20 - 5 months out
2020/21 - 1,5 months out
2021/22 - 4 months out
2022/23 - 7 months out
If you add 10 months of active season, then numbers read like this:

16/17 - 90% availability
17/18 - 80% availability
18/19 - 100% availability
19/20 - 50% availability
20/21 - 85% availability
21/22 - 60% availability
22/23 - 30% availability.

If you account for one of the highest paid footballer and prime years of career, the picture is grim.

clarkydaz

Juventus themselves done it

TsuWave

Phil Jones has 7 winners medals, doesn't make him top 5% of anything

When he ends his career, everyone will agree he wasted his talent, picked the wrong agent
Yes, because Pogba's contributions to his titles is the same as Phil Jones' :houllier:

Him having a better career than 95% of footballers will ever have is not dependent on what "everyone" on internet forums will agree on.

His accolades speak for his career. Again, Pogba has won multiple league titles, being core to them, was a CL runner-up, has a Europa league, domestic cup titles, and the World Cup. You guys not believing he fulfilled whatever interpretation or expectations you had of his talent, doesn't invalidate his trophy laden career, which again, is better than what 95% of professional footballers will ever achieve.

The only thing he will be proud of comes the end of his career will be the World Cup medal, as things stand.
You guys type nonsense with so much assertiveness, it's almost admirable.

Last edited:

Irwin99

From both a player and club perspective he had to leave between 2018-2020. He apparently had to be persuaded to stay at the beginning of Ole's first proper season but United could have gotten a big fee from Real Madrid and reinvested the money.

city-puma

Have you counted how many ACL injuries for Liverpool and mancity under Klopp and Pep, respectively?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Feel bad for him, but similar with Martial, it's obvious their bodies have sort of given up on them and can't handle top level regular football anymore.

el3mel

Yes, because Pogba's contributions to his titles is the same as Phil Jones' :houllier:

Him having a better career than 95% of footballers will ever have is not dependent on what "everyone" on internet forums will agree on.

His accolades speak for his career. Again, Pogba has won multiple league titles, being core to them, was a CL runner-up, has a Europa league, domestic cup titles, and the World Cup. You guys not believing he fulfilled whatever interpretation or expectations you had of his talent, doesn't invalidate his trophy laden career, which again, is better than what 95% of professional footballers will ever achieve.

You guys type nonsense with so much assertiveness, it's almost admirable.
I mean you are the one who keeps on mentioning reaching CL final as an achievement. You have no right telling others they are saying nonsense after this.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The guy may aswell retire. Plays about 2 games a season if he’s lucky.

Sir Erik ten Hag

From both a player and club perspective he had to leave between 2018-2020. He apparently had to be persuaded to stay at the beginning of Ole's first proper season but United could have gotten a big fee from Real Madrid and reinvested the money.
Madrid didn't even want Pogba at that point.

Gurtej

There is something about his Build that tells me he won’t be able to physically manage season!!
I said it a year ago, there is just something not right with his physical build. The way he runs, his body structure cries of a player whose injury is just around a corner and we are seeing it regularly now. So glad we missed the bullet.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He's got 3 more years left on his contract? Will be pretty difficult situation for Juve. He needs to get fit and play a run of games.