Paul Pogba racially abused on social media

diarm

Yeah, and put some chips in everyone so the police can always know where they are. And 24 hour recording of what people say and do. F#ck liberty. That's the way to go!!!!
Calm down Alex Jones. Nobody is forcing anyone to have a Twitter account. You want to live off the grid, you're welcome to do so as long as you can eat your dinner without posting it on Instagram.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I don't blame him exclusively but I was sitting there yesterday thinking, he could easily stop himself here and explain how he feels about the penalty situation in a much more thoughtful way. He definitely, and quite unfortunately, adds to the media agenda and seems encouraged by Sky to do so because it create a headline.
Fact of the matter is, this is third incident this week involving racism on social media. It quite clearly goes beyond Gary fecking Neville.

Denis' cuff

Nothing to do with football fans or United fans. Just morons on twitter. Doesn’t help bbc and other media highlighting it. That’s what these idiots want.

GNev has become a hysterical, tiresome old woman. Didn’t help but hardly his fault.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Calm down Alex Jones. Nobody is forcing anyone to have a Twitter account. You want to live off the grid, you're welcome to do so as long as you can eat your dinner without posting it on Instagram.
You cant solve these problems with control or rules. This needs to be solved with education. Your solution is just hiding the problem and not much more than that.

Ludens the Red

Just cut it out blaming Gary Nev for racist scumbags that will be like that regardless. I thought Gary over-reacted to the missed penalty - Paul P gave it power and it missed. Same thing has happened in every league all over the world and will continue to happen at top flight football.

I think the excessive irritation surrounding the 'will he, won't he go' which Paul has done nothing to defuse is what it's about in the case of most United supporters including Gary Neville. To twist it around and try and make him and others peeved by Paul's ongoing saga into racists is manipulative nonsense.
Racists never need other people's opinions to push their own warped agenda.

Perspective instead of hysteria please. Let's target the racists and not get tangled up in other nonsense.
I have an issue with Neville's name being mentioned in this thread. Yes, his criticism was moronic, but that is a completely separate issue from racial abuse on social media
Yeah, I mean why has his name come up at all? Why is Gary Neville being mentioned first and foremost by so many people in this thread before the actual abuser. What kind of stupid shit am I reading? What the feck does Gary Neville half moaning about Pogba missing s pen have to do with someone racially abusing Pogba online?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Honestly think a lot of people have had a brain fart not fully thought it through.
You might try reading what people have actually said and think about the nature of the world we live it and stop reducing it to "racism goes beyond Gary Neville".

It's a more complex issue than that, and whether you care to acknowledge it or not his vitriol breeds further reaction.

Forget the race issue for a minute, and consider it more along the lines of him contributing to an environment where people feel it's ok to abuse players online. That's what people are talking about.

The fact that that then extends into racist abuse doesn't detract from the fact that as a public voice Neville's words have consequences.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Yeah, I mean why has his name come up at all? Why is Gary Neville being mentioned first and foremost by so many people in this thread before the actual abuser. What kind of stupid shit am I reading? What the feck does Gary Neville half moaning about Pogba missing s pen have to do with someone racially abusing Pogba online?
Easy, most of the people don't really care about the Pogba abuse but in getting a way to abuse Gary Neville because they didn't like his opinion that has nothing to do with racism.

People are trying to snowballing this to a point where they will then try to make Neville take the blame and then make him do a public apologie. It's the typical online spin when this problems exist

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Easy, most of the people don't really care about the Pogba abuse but in getting a way to abuse Gary Neville because they didn't like his opinion that has nothing to do with racism.

People are trying to snowballing this to a point where they will then try to make Neville take the blame and then make him do a public apologie. It's the typical online spin when this problems exist
Oh feck off.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Nobody is saying he's to blame but he added fuel to the fire by singling out Pogba and using words like 'treachery'
I don’t think you can blame Neville for that. I mean, do you just never criticise anything a black person does, in case racists decide to abuse them?

The problem is the disgusting idiots who type the tweets. Neville can say what he likes, he’s not responsible for anyone else.

Baxter

How anyone can blame Gary Neville for this is beyond me , absolute nonsense .
His hysteria after the game doesn’t help. They spent almost no time on any sort of analysis other than Pogba missing a penalty. He was wittering about treachery and being furious before hearing what the manager said.

He doesn’t cause anything, but the ridiculous focus and tabloid style hyperbole pushes a wild overreaction.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Celebrities and organisations should be turning their backs on Twitter. Until a social media site which forces everyone to post with a verified badge under their real name and be accountable for their behaviour comes along and replaces it, it will continue.

norm87cro

I'm all for him getting the stick for his contributions on the pitch. It comes with the terrotiry and he has to own it. But this is something different and really disgusting.

Jig1234

Neville is somewhat complicit. We only have to recall his pathetic response when Raheem came to him about the abuse he was receiving. Neville is a coward who clearly has an agenda against Pogba. He could do more to curb the online abuse players receive. They spent 40mins discussing a missed penalty and tried to get Ole/Rashford to stitch Pogba up. When has a missed penalty got 40 mins of coverage. People see Neville's anger and OTT aggression towards Pogba and that only fuels the anger. His words matter. Not saying it is entirely on him. Because people are racist and Twitter is an ugly place but the coverage on Sky last night and Neville's tone doesn't help. It just makes it worse.

He should be more aware of how he speaks. Especially after the spineless way he dealt with Sterling. He clearly has learnt nothing. He always has an agenda and bias towards English players. He sounds more and more like Souness the more you hear him speak.

Last edited:

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
1) People are, generally scum.

2) The fact that Neville is even mentioned on this thread is proof of that. There is no reason at all his name shod be mentioned on here. People that have mentioned him say "We're not blaming him for this, but....". Actually, you are heavily implying simply be mentioning that he is partially responsible. He has no responsibility in any way, shape or form for the disgusting racial abuse, and for otherwise to be implied is extremely low.

Criticising someone is not a step on the pathway towards racial abuse in any way.

Tel074

Anyone on here trying to put even part of the blame at Neville is a complete moron . Neville was saying what 99% of fans felt as we watched it and 99.9% of fans arnt total idiots like the small percentage who think racially abusing a person is anywhere near okay .

I heard Nevilles comments and it didn't make me want to go racially abuse Pogba . We need to start taking responsibility for our own actions instead of trying to pin blame on another person ...

Neville isn't responsible for every racist idiot on social media and the idea of trying to put any of the blame on him is a complete and utter disgrace. We are adults take responsibility for your own actions and seriously grow up .. Rant over ...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Celebrities and organisations should be turning their backs on Twitter. Until a social media site which forces everyone to post with a verified badge under their real name and be accountable for their behaviour comes along and replaces it, it will continue.
It would be a massive signal of intent, and something I’d like to see. I don’t think like some might argue, that it looks like running away, or that the racists have won. It’s just saying that this shit isn’t on, and we don’t want our company associated with a cesspit like that.

It makes far too much money though so I can’t see anyone going for it.

VanGaalyTime

His hysteria after the game doesn’t help. They spent almost no time on any sort of analysis other than Pogba missing a penalty. He was wittering about treachery and being furious before hearing what the manager said.

He doesn’t cause anything, but the ridiculous focus and tabloid style hyperbole pushes a wild overreaction.
Has to be said, did Northcroft even watch the match?? Pogba was pretty terrible again yesterday. Did well to win the pen but he gave the ball away time and again in dangerous positions.

Fridge chutney

Isn't it funny that Paul never had any issues in notoriously racist Italy, and yet he's targeted with this demented abuse in supposedly tolerant England?
I mean, this is just a bizarre point to make.

No one deserves racism ever. But the reference to Italy in this context is just misguided:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/sports/juventus-racism-moise-kean.html
https://www.espn.com/soccer/italian...acism-much-worse-in-italy-than-england-france

In general football and the clubs within all FAs must do more to eliminate all forms of racism.

With that said, Twitter is such a cesspit that I'm not sure what Manchester United or the FA could do, other than work with Twitter to identify the scumbag and ban them from all football stadiums, assuming that the individual in this case is even in England.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Neville is entirely complicit. We only have to recall his pathetic response when Raheem came to him about the abuse he was receiving. Neville is a coward who clearly has an agenda against Pogba. He could do more to curb the online abuse players receive. They spent 40mins discussing a missed penalty and tried to get Ole/Rashford to stitch Pogba up. When has a missed penalty got 40 mins of coverage. People see Neville's anger and OTT aggression towards Pogba and that only fuels the anger. His words matter. Not saying it is entirely on him. Because people are racist and Twitter is an ugly place but the coverage on Sky last night and Neville's tone doesn't help. It just makes it worse.

He should be more aware of how he speaks. Especially after the spineless way he dealt with Sterling. He clearly has learnt nothing. He always has an agenda and bias towards English players. He sounds more and more like Souness the more you hear him speak.
In what? What exactly is Neville complicit in, beyond saying stupid stuff on his platform?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
You might try reading what people have actually said and think about the nature of the world we live it and stop reducing it to "racism goes beyond Gary Neville".

It's a more complex issue than that, and whether you care to acknowledge it or not his vitriol breeds further reaction.

Forget the race issue for a minute, and consider it more along the lines of him contributing to an environment where people feel it's ok to abuse players online. That's what people are talking about.

The fact that that then extends into racist abuse doesn't detract from the fact that as a public voice Neville's words have consequences.
I think that's two different subjects. One is racism in football and racism on the whole, the other is abuse on social media, which can include racism.

For me this is an issue of the former, just blatant racist being racist in football, and I don't see how Gary Neville can be blamed for that. The later, him contributing to online abuse has merit but is unfair. Whether he went to far or not, he's a pundit at the end of the day. He's not the first pundit to go to far and he won't be the last so it's unfair in my opinion to say he's to blame.

Especially when this is the 3rd. incident this week. So yeah, I stand by the fact that it goes beyond him and people are looking for someone to blame, rather than looking at the root cause of the issue. For me, that's upsetting doesn't help at all. For me, therell be racist abuse online next week and week after that, you're not blame Neville so why now?

Guy Incognito

There's far too much hate directed at players in general... i mean the shit that Young, Matic, Mata, Sanchez etc. get on here, often for barely any reason, is in itself pretty disgusting. I mean there our players for feck sake... be critical sure but it just gets way overboard at times.

And when it gets overboard then its just natural that the cesspools of the world like twitter take that further to racist/ other disgusting forms of abuse. There's far too much hate in the world, and it's pathetic.
Football has become toxic and hate filled. Whenever you go to games now the narrative has already been decided and people can't wait to get on the backs of some for a misplaced pass or conceding a goal.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I always thought United, and most English clubs in general, were more special because they always stood by their players and supported them. Players in the past have said this about our fans.

Racially abusing a player and telling him to feck off like that fan in the video from the end of the season is depressing. We’re becoming worse than the likes of Real Madrid booing their star players.

You can’t blame Pogba for wanting to leave, there’s the football element and then this. feck sake

diarm

You cant solve these problems with control or rules. This needs to be solved with education. Your solution is just hiding the problem and not much more than that.
Education isn't enough on its own. We teach people to drive but we still have a licensing and control system in place on the roads. It's is clear that a significant portion of society cannot be trusted to use the internet unsupervised and while it is important to educate them in the hope for a better future, we have an obligation in the here and now to protect people from online bigots and trolls.

Aside from online bullying and abuse, we have recent examples of foreign governments and organisations using social media to manipulate referendums and elections. There needs to be a level of accountability introduced to our presence online - it can be done in such a way that those of us who aren't trolls and law breakers have nothing to worry about but we can't just keep sticking our heads in the sand and blaming it on an undereducated minority.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Such extreme behaviour is unfortunately expected when a legend accuse him of treachery for missing a penalty on live TV.
Certainly doesn't help.

It'sa amusing/sad/ strange how disliked Pogba is by the English media and how easy they go on so many other players.

I thought racism in football only happened in Italy?

Renson

This man is growing on me with each passing day. And I fully agree, use verifications before signing up and then punish such morons. The only way to stop it.
In fact, as soon as you do such thing it will stop as I don't think they would be "brave" enough to write anything after.
That would help. But I worry the social media companies will have to be forced to do it by some kind of legislations because it will instantly reduce the number of users which will be detrimental to their finances as they use their numbers to attract advertisers and ads are their main source of income. Another problem is that it's politicians who pass legislations and most of them are owned by the billionaires who have invested in these companies.

amolbhatia50k

I don’t think you can blame Neville for that. I mean, do you just never criticise anything a black person does, in case racists decide to abuse them?

The problem is the disgusting idiots who type the tweets. Neville can say what he likes, he’s not responsible for anyone else.
Not at all. I criticise Pogba when he deserves it. But it's clearly wrong when you do it for an agenda. And Neville, despite surprisingly eloquent and someone I do enjoy listening to, has always had his agendas. He has always A) defended dedended against criticism/calls of sacking regardless of rational and logic because time is everything apparently B) Favoured and molley codded British players while holding near grudges against foreign ones C) favoured your old school type players over the modern ones who are born out of the current/recent generations.

So sure Neville can "say what he likes". But when it's bullshit he'll get called out on it. And regardless of right and wrong, he is influencial. We cannot deny that.

Enigma_87

You know who
Blaming Neville?

Those idiots weren't even United fans from what I've read but fans of other teams in Germany and Holland.

amolbhatia50k

Neville is entirely complicit. We only have to recall his pathetic response when Raheem came to him about the abuse he was receiving. Neville is a coward who clearly has an agenda against Pogba. He could do more to curb the online abuse players receive. They spent 40mins discussing a missed penalty and tried to get Ole/Rashford to stitch Pogba up. When has a missed penalty got 40 mins of coverage. People see Neville's anger and OTT aggression towards Pogba and that only fuels the anger. His words matter. Not saying it is entirely on him. Because people are racist and Twitter is an ugly place but the coverage on Sky last night and Neville's tone doesn't help. It just makes it worse.

Entirely ?! Nah. I do think he should try to be less biased and major voices sadly do influence people. So while I'd prefer him be more rational, actions of weirdly can't be entirely pinned on him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Neville's rant went further than Pogba taking the penalty. He questioned his professionalism lack of respect in such an emotional manner as if he was individually responsible for the issues at United. Once Ole gave his interview he started backtracking and changed his tack.

Basically, shooting his mouth off prior to knowing the circumstances.
That in itself is very wrong, Neville is a former player who's won it all at club level and he is a United legend. I expect a level of analysis that is way beyond the average reactionnary caftard. I'm glad I don't pay for Sky, I'd be pissed off to watch some of money invested in poor TV like that.
I'm not gonna venture into the correlation between what Neville did and the racist abuse on Pogba, I think it's not right to give Neville that kinda power and responsiblity over absolute morons. I will say this, Neville does contribute in a way in a creating a hostile view regarding what Pogba does and doesn't. Is it too much to ask for a fair and informed analysis ?

bleedred

I am assuming Neville or some other pundit criticized Abraham last week to stoke racial abuse against him as well?

D. Mungai

About Neville

Am from Africa, our live feed of yesterday game had Giggs and Hargreaves. Their output regarding the penalty was in their days "they knew who the set piece takers were before every match".

Both agreed anyone can miss a penalty.
Pogba took the penalty out of seniority to Rashford.
Hargreaves agreed that if we wanted to take a penalty then Giggs said he wanted to take he had to give it to him.

In a way it made sense and it was diplomatic.

About Gary, i have watched his submission after the game, after such a bitter draw in which United "were supposedly to have won" it is usually good to be as diplomatic as possible.

Especially with Pogba.

Remember we the fans, "both + & - fans" (in relation to how United are Now) remember how Pogba behaved during the summer, his brother comments thus we need to be careful with words regarding Pogba.

He is Our Star Player.
He is Our Best Player.
He is the magnet to world media in our team.

So when Gary talks as if Pogba did the worst mistake then it creates a bad agenda resulting in to a bad environment being fuel by the raw disappointment of the game.

Yes people did wrong, people over reacted and it should STOP but we usually say in our language

"You don't fight fire with fire when you want to come things down"

Gary Should be a point of reason especially with him being a ex player and coach.

Raw

Surely they know the users IP address
In some cases even that doesn't fix anything. People may be using VPNs or they may have dynamic IP addresses (so resetting their router generates a new IP).

Truly think the only way to stop this from happening is if social media accounts were tied to your ID, then people won't feel like they can get away with vile behaviour. I just can't see that ever happening though.