Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

OrcaFat

Why would a player respecting his contract be out of order?
I’m not sure what you mean by “respecting” as it’s the opposite of how Pogba and his agent have behaved.

Playing out your contract when your club is not offering to extend is all good.

When a player in his prime is offered decent new contracts and purposely runs down their existing decent contract just so they can get even more money when they leave for free, not to mention, throughout this time always in the news wanting to leave, a fan can reasonably question that level of greed and self interest at the expense of the club (who, in all appearance backed him ahead of a manager, although that is a side issue), if they want.

You might think that is fine but it can’t be a shock to you if some think it is out of order.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I agree in the main. But what about if he stays but doesn’t sign a new contract and turns down all moves so he can go on a free? Would you not take that as being a bit out of order?
That's the players prerogative.

We are hoping to get Varane who's also on his last year of the contract for a very good fee. Madrid has just lost Ramos to a free transfer. PSG could lose Mbappe. I could go on naming players but you get the drift.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’m not sure what you mean by “respecting” as it’s the opposite of how Pogba and his agent have behaved.

When a player in his prime is offered decent new contracts and purposely runs down their existing decent contract just so they can get even more money when they leave for free, not to mention, throughout this time always in the news wanting to leave, a fan can reasonably question that level of greed and self interest at the expense of the club (who, in all appearance backed him ahead of a manager, although that is a side issue), if they want.

You might think that is fine but it can’t be a shock to you if some think it is out of order.
If think that you know exactly what I mean by respecting the terms of his contract, it's not a complicated concept. If a player signs a 6 year contract and leave after 6 years, he did what was stipulated in his contract. What is out of order is to attack the character of someone because you believe that your club is entitled to a transfer fee.

El Jefe

Now's the time to cash out on Pogba if he isn't signing a new deal. £50-60m and I'd let him go, this can't rumble on for another season.
Agreed. We might lose out in the short term but long term we'll be better off without him. I'm tired and I think the team and Ole are tired of figuring out what position to get the best out of him every three months. Ole likes having two midfielders who hold position, so lets finally get those players in.

We have so much talent in the team and even though Pogba is arguably the most talented we will get on just fine without him.

R'hllor

I cant wait for Pogba to leave just to see on what player fecks gonna shift their focus on, heck should make a betting thread with a poll. People can hide their hatred for Pogba behind his performance or agent, truth is, there is expectation in those eyes that he would never meet nor he should, demanding to pull out victories everytime on his own when everything around on the pitch is shit is wrong for many reasons.

Imagine, if Pogba decides to run out his contract, same bunch would call him disloyal etc. for taking away chance for us to get some money for him.

Best line of all is that people want him gone because he is 24/7 drama, mostly because of his fat cnut agent, him gone = his agent fecks off too, while in the same time drooling for Haaland, yea Raiola will be different man when his other client joins us :lol:

diarm

I see 4 options with Pogba:

1. We offer him a new deal, along similar lines to his current contract, perhaps with a small bump up to the £300-320k a week mark. He signs and commits to the club and we can either bring in the sort of midfielder to play with him and set him free as he is for France, or we don't and we continue to watch him flick between world class and ineffective.

2. We offer him a huge new deal, up around the £400k mark. We still have the same decision to make regarding bringing in someone to pair with / behind him and now we have upset our wage structure again.

3. We sell him for realistically, £40-50m if we're lucky. He goes and we put the money towards building a more balanced but most likely, less talented midfield.

4. We don't offer a new deal or we offer one which he rejects. His agent spends the next 12 months hawking him out to every big club in Europe. We sit and watch while the fat prick derides the club, undermines Ole, disrupts the media during important match weeks and generally just acts like a wreck the head until a deal with some other club is done.

For me, Option 4 is the worst one of all, and the one the club needs to try and avoid at all costs. Option 2 is the next worst in my opinion, followed by Option 3 and then best case scenario Option 1.

The problem is that Option 1 is by far the least likely scenario. I think we need to make that offer and try to keep him on reasonable terms, but set a deadline and if he isn't accepting, then we should look to sell this summer.

Ronaldo's Love Child

If think that you know exactly what I mean by respecting the terms of his contract, it's not a complicated concept. If a player signs a 6 year contract and leave after 6 years, he did what was stipulated in his contract. What is out of order is to attack the character of someone because you believe that your club is entitled to a transfer fee.
That's a rather simplistic take on things.

Listen, if Pogba ran down his contract but whilst he was playing for us he knuckled down, gave 100% then I don't think it would be so much of an issue if he felt he wanted to go on a free. The reality is that he has caused a sh*tstorm of negative publicity about his contract and even wanting to play for us via his agent and mouthpiece, Raiola.

Raiola has come out several times with press releases saying Pogba is unhappy or whatever. He even touted Pogba to Man City at one point and you think that is "respecting" his contract?

Pogba is Raiola's client, not the other way around. Whatever Raiola says or does is at the approval of Pogba. If you (naively) think Raiola is shooting his mouth off without Pogba's knowledge then it's not difficult for Pogba to publicly correct the story.....he hasn't.

So yes. If a player has a six year contract and he runs that down without renewing then the player has theoretiocally "respected" the terms of his contract but it isn't black and white.

Infra-red

Get rid and spend the resultant fee on a player who is much better in a midfield two (eg Locatelli).

Brophs

The One and Only
Can you imagine how self-indulgent he'd be at PSG?

JPRouve

Scout
That's a rather simplistic take on things.

Listen, if Pogba ran down his contract but whilst he was playing for us he knuckled down, gave 100% then I don't think it would be so much of an issue if he felt he wanted to go on a free. The reality is that he has caused a sh*tstorm of negative publicity about his contract and even wanting to play for us via his agent and mouthpiece, Raiola.

Raiola has come out several times with press releases saying Pogba is unhappy or whatever. He even touted Pogba to Man City at one point and you think that is "respecting" his contract?

Pogba is Raiola's client, not the other way around. Whatever Raiola says or does is at the approval of Pogba. If you (naively) think Raiola is shooting his mouth off without Pogba's knowledge then it's not difficult for Pogba to publicly correct the story.....he hasn't.

So yes. If a player has a six year contract and he runs that down without renewing then the player has theoretiocally "respected" the terms of his contract but it isn't black and white.
Let's not start that nonsense, the question was about him leaving free at the end of his contract being out of order. None of what you wrote has something to do with him leaving on a free, in fact you pushed the topic of the question aside in order to talk about Raiola.

A player leaving on a free isn't out of order, a player who for example refuses to play or train for his club in order to get a move is out of order.

Castia

Sell him.

Cant play in a 2 man midfield and we shouldn't change to a 3 because it would effect Bruno.

Use the money on a top DM.

OrcaFat

That's the players prerogative.

We are hoping to get Varane who's also on his last year of the contract for a very good fee. Madrid has just lost Ramos to a free transfer. PSG could lose Mbappe. I could go on naming players but you get the drift.
I do get the drift. It is absolutely the players’ prerogative.

If Varane refuses to sign at Madrid and plays out the last year and goes for free, that’s the same. Likewise Mbappe. But if they are sold with a year left, that’s quite different. In those situations, it is a decision taken by the club to hold onto the player in the penultimate year of their contract, knowing their value is reducing but setting that against having the player at the club for one more year.

What I’m getting at is the players adopting a stance of refusal to sign AND refusal to move despite best efforts by the club to agree a new contract or agree a fee with another club. I don’t know if that will happen with Pogba and contractually he has a right but I question whether it is morally right. It may be that nobody else cares but in my view he’s stiffing us if he does that.

Ramos is a bit different as well, he’s given his whole career to RM and is in his twightlight as a player.

Scholsey2004

How can it be out of order? A contract is a contract. You sign it and youre obligated to fulfill it. It also has an end date at which your obligations end. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with fulfilling your contract and then leaving at which point youre entitled to negotiate a new contract with whoever you choose.

Mindhunter

Good. Let us get him out of the club. I have no doubt in my mind that he would sulk even if he signed the new contract. He just wants to be at the center of attention, demands pandering from everyone including the manager without actually putting up the numbers consistently. He is the very definition of a “high maintenance” player and I have had enough.

OrcaFat

Righteous.

Abraxas

If PSG offer us good money we should bite their hand off in order to end this circus. If we cannot replace him immediately we may be slightly weaker, but in the long term it will be better as we'll be able to use those funds. But hopefully we'd have time to get somebody in.

However if we keep him for a year I think that's also okay. There was no indication he has downed tools. The owners will not like this as it goes against their method of "retaining value" but it shouldn't be that bad for us. We can't force him to sign a contract and to be honest it may not even be the best thing if he did. Nor can we put an acceptable bid on the table, so we rather have to accept things as they come.

We either have a very good player to count on next season or we get good funds in, it's not a disastrous situation because ultimately the player hasn't been a complete success for us.

OrcaFat

How can it be out of order? A contract is a contract. You sign it and youre obligated to fulfill it. It also has an end date at which your obligations end. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with fulfilling your contract and then leaving at which point youre entitled to negotiate a new contract with whoever you choose.
Yeah.

It is a known thing for players to extend even if they intend to leave in a year. Some call it loyalty, some call it stupidity.

I wasn’t expecting to discover this but despite being pretty easy going on the whole, I seem to be in a minority of people who feel Pogba has generally been disrespectful to the club whilst here and may possibly purposely refuse all other options so he can go for free as a final kick in the teeth. He won’t be the first to do it but as far as I know, it’s not common for fans to take this kind of bs lying down.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah.

It is a known thing for players to extend even if they intend to leave in a year. Some call it loyalty, some call it stupidity.

I wasn’t expecting to discover this but despite being pretty easy going on the whole, I seem to be in a minority of people who feel Pogba has generally been disrespectful to the club whilst here and may possibly purposely refuse all other options so he can go for free as a final kick in the teeth. He won’t be the first to do it but as far as I know, it’s not common for fans to take this kind of bs lying down.
The reason players extend has little to do with loyalty, even though from a communication standpoint they will sell you that story. The reason players extend their contracts and prefer to move through transfers instead of free agency is that they get contract continuity. There is a massive risk in playing the free agency game, if you have a long term injury during the last months or even days of your contract, you can lose millions which isn't the case when you move through a transfer.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The reason players extend has little to do with loyalty, even though from a communication standpoint they will sell you that story. The reason players extend their contracts and prefer to move through transfers instead of free agency is that they get contract continuity. There is a massive risk in playing the free agency game, if you have a long term injury during the last months or even days of your contract, you can lose millions which isn't the case when you move through a transfer.
Victor Valdes being an example, I suppose

OrcaFat

If PSG offer us good money we should bite their hand off in order to end this circus. If we cannot replace him immediately we may be slightly weaker, but in the long term it will be better as we'll be able to use those funds. But hopefully we'd have time to get somebody in.

However if we keep him for a year I think that's also okay. There was no indication he has downed tools. The owners will not like this as it goes against their method of "retaining value" but it shouldn't be that bad for us. We can't force him to sign a contract and to be honest it may not even be the best thing if he did. Nor can we put an acceptable bid on the table, so we rather have to accept things as they come.

We either have a very good player to count on next season or we get good funds in, it's not a disastrous situation because ultimately the player hasn't been a complete success for us.
Yes this is persuasive.

I don’t like him going for free but if he plays well then it’s not the end of the world.

OrcaFat

Probably some truth in this.

JPRouve

Scout
I mean: “if it’s in the contract it must be right, praise the lord for things being so simple”. If you’re cool with it, go in peace. I’m not.
You don't think that contracts should have end terms? And I'm cool with it because most sports work with free agency, the only sport that widely work with this perverted transfer system is Football.

el3mel

Player running down his contract to leave on free and send a big feck you to his club is a clear disrespect for this club.

You need to be ridiculously biased towards such player to argue otherwise.

OrcaFat

You don't think that contracts should have end terms? And I'm cool with it because most sports work with free agency, the only sport that widely work with this perverted transfer system is Football.
Yeah it is perverted. In the old days you couldn’t go for free even at the end of a contract. Probably where my indignation is rooted.

Judas

Open to offers
Player running down his contract to leave on free and send a big feck you to his club is a clear disrespect for this club.

To be fair, if any club had offered to buy him, and offered a fair amount we'd have sold him in the last couple of summers I'd have thought and he'd have gone. It's not as if he's been turning down moves so he can move for free? Should he sign a new contract even though he seemingly doesn't want to be here just so we can get more money for him, when clearly no one can or wants to spend big money on him, thus he ends up here for longer and the cycle of this shite continuing?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Why should a player renew if they don’t want to?

Scholsey2004

Yeah.

His agent clearly has been disrespectful on his behalf and his application at times has been poor and at his best we havent managed to fit him in tactically.

None of that has absolutely anything to do with his contract which is an agreement to play for us for a specified period. When that period ends hes no longer our player. If we dont agree a new contract or agree to sell before his contract expires then our rights over the player end irrespective of how much he cost. We're talking about contract law here, how can he be morally out of line whilst complying with contract law?

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah it is perverted. In the old days you couldn’t go for free even at the end of a contract. Probably where my indignation is rooted.
My point is that the most logical system should be built around free agency. You sign a free agent for x amount of years, he plays for that amount of years and either extend or leave. The system around transfer fee speculation where a club purchase a player for x amount and expect to either extend him or sell him for y amount is in my opinion wrong.

That's mainly how for example Rugby work, sometimes players want to leave while they are under contract and their club ask for a fee but it's the exception not the rule. That's why Rugby players also sign shorter contracts.

dinostar77

Pogba wants madrid move badly. I'd allow him to leave this summer get something for him rather than nothing. Or do a FFP swap for Varane and inflate the books for FFP.

Or if Utd want to keep pogba and risk trying to get him to sign a new deal. Then take a madrid move out of the equation entirely.

A tabloid (unrelaible i know) did say that madrid were interested in Van Der Beek on a loan with obligation to buy. If utd did that, that would close off any potential move to madrid. Then that would leave utd to have to content with Juventus and PSG.

OrcaFat

His agent clearly has been disrespectful on his behalf and his application at times has been poor and at his best we havent managed to fit him in tactically.

None of that has absolutely anything to do with his contract which is an agreement to play for us for a specified period. When that period ends hes no longer our player. If we dont agree a new contract or agree to sell before his contract expires then our rights over the player end irrespective of how much he cost. We're talking about contract law here, how can he be morally out of line whilst complying with contract law?
If contract law = morality then you might have a point.

Many grossly immoral things have been allowed to happen because they are not illegal. It would be very much stretching a point to equate a footballer’s greed with that of international corporations who exploit and marginalise the poor but writing something in a contract has nothing to do with morality.