Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Some are scared to lose Pogba's talent. But what's the point of all that talent If we are not going to use it properly by playing him in the double pivot. Pogba at the double pivot is who we are replacing and that Pogba is very much replaceable
Good point. We've already replaced Pogba the winger with Sancho. Now we just need another CM. Definitely not the same type as Pogba.

Xaviboy

Straight swap for Verrati. Chap knows how to control a game in midfield.

prateik

Just end this. He has been a major disappointment. No need to prolong it.. move on.

Andersons Dietician

If we need McFred to exist just to compensate for him then what’s the point?

In the Rice thread someone pointed out we likely would still need someone with Rice to cover for Pogba.

We get to name 10 outfield players and we need to set aside three of those positions for him; his own place and two to babysit. It’s ridiculous.
Surely that’s the same for Bruno then needs people to cover him.

Handré1990

Sell today! I jest of course, but if we can bring in a good CM for the money, prefereably someone more comfortable bringing us stablility and control in games, I think we’d become a much better team.

yamo123x

If he wants out 70mill is the price....simple.
Anything less we keep him. Play hard ball like Dortmund.

Use the cash and money raised from sale of Martial to buy Grealish.

Offer 50mill + lingard for Rice and we then have a great first x1 for years and a serious crack at the title.

Mct — Rice

Bruno

Sancho —-Greenwood/ Rashford — Grealish

Infestissumam

Dortmund could play hardball last year because Sancho had three year left on his deal. Pogba doesn't. It's either sell him now or lose him for free next year, and I guess United would never do that after paying so much money for him ... it's a very bad look. So we don't necessarily have a very strong hand here. If he get 50-60 million, we can be very happy with that.

FatTails

He should go. Ole doesn’t seem to know how to fit him and Bruno in midfield (something Pep has done many times, for example). He’s wasting his talent in a setup that doesn’t bring the best out of him, and United don’t benefit either from paying huge wages for someone not playing up to their potential.

Get a DM for the money and let’s play the rigid 4-2-3-1 with a double pivot that we are obsessed with, where the midfield is basically bypassed in attacks and the reliance is entirely on wingers and fullbacks for chances.

My post might sound negative, but it is not meant to be. The odds are we are going to replace him with someone “worse” but who might be a better fit for the way we, or Ole, wants to play! The team, overall, might benefit (although I am not convinced personally)

RedDevilRoshi

Offer 50mill + lingard for Rice and we then have a great first x1 for years and a serious crack at the title.

Mct — Rice

Bruno

I think you have forgotten, he only has a year left on his contract and holds all the cards here. No club is going to pay that much for him when they know they can get him for nothing in 12 months time. We are not in a position to play hardball like Dortmund were doing with Sancho unless we are happy to let him leave on a free transfer next summer which I doubt.

I think the best we can hope for is £50M-£55M.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

He's a great player, but I just don't see a good way to integrate him. I don't think he'll work well in a midfield pivot in the Premier League, where the tempo and pressing will always maximise his shortcomings. He can't be a No 10, and I doubt switching to a 3-man midfield line is really a good move for us. He's looked good on left wing, but it doesn't make sense to carry two elite players in that position, who both need to be starters. If there's no real progress on an extension, then the conclusion should be clear.

PSG is one of the few clubs who can afford to pay. With Juventus, I wouldn't be averse to a part exchange involving Bentancur + some money, who fits the description of what we need in the midfield. But I suppose Juventus would be reluctant to part with him.

If he were on a long term contract, his strong Euro tournament should spike the price, but with a year left it's different. Something in the 60m range should be reasonable to hope for, maybe?

krentz

He should go. Ole doesn’t seem to know how to fit him and Bruno in midfield (something Pep has done many times, for example). He’s wasting his talent in a setup that doesn’t bring the best out of him, and United don’t benefit either from paying huge wages for someone not playing up to their potential.

Get a DM for the money and let’s play the rigid 4-2-3-1 with a double pivot that we are obsessed with, where the midfield is basically bypassed in attacks and the reliance is entirely on wingers and fullbacks for chances.

My post might sound negative, but it is not meant to be. The odds are we are going to replace him with someone “worse” but who might be a better fit for the way we, or Ole, wants to play! The team, overall, might benefit (although I am not convinced personally)
Imagine thinking Pogba would flourish under Pep? Did you miss the news when Pogba got blasted by his French teammates for his lack of defensive contributions? Pep has never shy away from selling star players who failed to match his method, and he wouldve sold Pogba long time ago.

FatTails

Imagine thinking Pogba would flourish under Pep? Did you miss the news when Pogba got blasted by his French teammates for his lack of defensive contributions? Pep has never shy away from selling star players who failed to match his method, and he wouldve sold Pogba long time ago.
Imagine not reading the post properly. The point was not about Pep and Pogba specifically, but Pep playing a 4-3-3 with two attacking midfielders in midfield, something he’s done quite a lot.

We have played consistently with two deeper midfielders under both Mourinho and Ole. Bruno and Pogba don’t fit in this setup. I love Paul and his creativity but if it is the system Ole is wedded too (which all indication is that he is), then might as well optimize our squad for that system.

OleGunnar20

Great player but it just hasn't worked out has it. I've no idea what his influence on the dressing room is but he's obviously not a 'Team player when it comes to the constant media shite.

For that reason I'd be happy to see him go. We need to all be pulling in the same direction as one team. I feel that egos like Pog (as immense a player as he is) innevitably detract from that, and as a fan they're just really bloody annoying.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Mct — Rice

Bruno

How are we supposed to do that when he can talk to other clubs in January, unless of course he signs a new contract.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Is Ole actually obsessed with the 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs though or does he play it because he thinks it’s the best formation given the players we have? We can’t play a 4-3-3 because our only proper DM is Matic who can’t move, and we also have 2 fairly slow centre backs so he likes the 2 deeper midfielders for extra protection against counter attacks. If we sign Varane & Ndidi (just an example) then we’ll see if Ole truly does have an obsession with this set up or if it’s done out of necessity.

Also, the 4231 isn’t necessarily a bad set up, our issues are we just don’t really have the correct players for it. Ideally you’d want a deeper playmaker & a box to box midfielder, both of whom are defensively sound & good in possession. We have Pogba who is good in possession but not hard working or defensively sound, and we have Fred (defensively sound, hard working, erratic passing) & McTominay (very hard working, decent driving forward, erratic defensively & poor passing) so it’s hard to find the right balance with the players we have.

FatTails

Is Ole actually obsessed with the 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs though or does he play it because he thinks it’s the best formation given the players we have? We can’t play a 4-3-3 because our only proper DM is Matic who can’t move, and we also have 2 fairly slow centre backs so he likes the 2 deeper midfielders for extra protection against counter attacks. If we sign Varane & Ndidi (just an example) then we’ll see if Ole truly does have an obsession with this set up or if it’s done out of necessity.

Also, the 4231 isn’t necessarily a bad set up, our issues are we just don’t really have the correct players for it. Ideally you’d want a deeper playmaker & a box to box midfielder, both of whom are defensively sound & good in possession. We have Pogba who is good in possession but not hard working or defensively sound, and we have Fred (defensively sound, hard working, erratic passing) & McTominay (very hard working, decent driving forward, erratic defensively & poor passing) so it’s hard to find the right balance with the players we have.
It’s a weird one. If neither Fred or McTominay are great in a 4-2-3-1, then technically we need to replace both to play that formation, whereas with Pogba and 1 great DM, we might be able to play a 4-3-3 with one pivot. So keeping Pogba and getting DM seems like the easier path, but something tells me it’s not the one we want to explore.

I am personally not obsessed with one setup or one way of playing, I want something the works.

The United

It’s a weird one. If neither Fred or McTominay are great in a 4-2-3-1, then technically we need to replace both to play that formation, whereas with Pogba and 1 great DM, we might be able to play a 4-3-3 with one pivot. So keeping Pogba and getting DM seems like the easier path, but something tells me it’s not the one we want to explore.

I am personally not obsessed with one setup or one way of playing, I want something the works.
You sure it is the club that does not want to explore?

I mean for the past 3 years, we are hearing how Pogba wants to move. Yet, it is the club that is in the wrong or something.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Pep would never have got Pogba in the first place. Neither would Klopp. Their systems just doesn't allow for such compromises to his deficiencies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

The French NT has this player, Kante.... Clearly he wasn't good enough to partner Pogba as indicated in the Euros?!

The problem for most teams with Pogba in it, is that you have to give up so much in the hope that Pogba's brilliance shows up or gets utilised when it does.
That's a pretty high risk approach.

FatTails

You sure it is the club that does not want to explore?

I mean for the past 3 years, we are hearing how Pogba wants to move. Yet, it is the club that is in the wrong or something.
I want to be fair. Maybe it’s one we are exploring and just not finding the right DM. I have no idea of knowing to be honest.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's been one of our best players, no one else with his skillset in our team obviously but it is the right time to get rid. We need to start building a balanced team that's effective all over the pitch. It's a headache coming up with ways to fit Bruno and Pogba into the same side, and Bruno is obviously more important, for many reasons.

I wouldn't like for us to go into the season without him having renewed, with constant talk of the club looking to tie him down, and rumours about future destinations, with Ole having to defend him and say he's such a good boy and all that shtick. Nor would I like for the club to increase his wage and build a team around him that we haven't been able to for five years.

He'll do better elsewhere, not that I care greatly, and we can take some steps forwards in building a balanced team.

I hope PSG go for him this summer.

Caesar2290

Tbh I think it's time we thank Paul for the service and part way with him. He's already on 290k per week and a new contract will at least match De Gea's salary. That is going to create a problem in few years when it will be time to renew the contracts of Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood(if he is going to continue his development ).

We should instead focus on shifting him and reinvesting the funds in the squad(Camavinga, Saul). Also we should restructure our wage policy get rid of Dave asap. His wages are creating a huge problem for future renewals.

Polar

Dortmund could play hardball last year because Sancho had three year left on his deal. Pogba doesn't. It's either sell him now or lose him for free next year, and I guess United would never do that after paying so much money for him ... it's a very bad look. So we don't necessarily have a very strong hand here. If he get 50-60 million, we can be very happy with that.
We should be happy with £40-50m.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I for one am glad he's leaving. Take the money that PSG is offering and run to the bank to deposit it or better yet splash it on a cheaper CM and CDM.

This is good news! :keano:

The United

I want to be fair. Maybe it’s one we are exploring and just not finding the right DM. I have no idea of knowing to be honest.
Even if we want to play 4 - 3 - 3, I have a massive doubt that Pogba will excel for us in most games. At the end of the day, the formation is the last thing to talk when the player himself is hit and miss every other game in any position he plays.

hungrywing

Pep would never have got Pogba in the first place. Neither would Klopp. Their systems just doesn't allow for such compromises to his deficiencies.
The French NT has this player, Kante.... Clearly he wasn't good enough to partner Pogba as indicated in the Euros?!

The problem for most teams with Pogba in it, is that you have to give up so much in the hope that Pogba's brilliance shows up or gets utilised when it does.
That's a pretty high risk approach.
Rational Human Being: He's like the best refrigerator in the world - but it comes chain-welded to forty-thousand space heaters.
Pogba fanboi: But he's so amazing.
RHB: Do you understand that he's so bad at certain things that tactically it cancels out his 'amazingness'.
PF: He has 64m instagram followers. That doesn't happen if you're not an unbelievably amazing player who just needs the right teammate beside him.
RHB: He's like the most precise laser mouse in existence that totally aims exactly where you want it to - but it weighs three kilograms.
PF: Oh, wait, I get it. He's extraordinarily good at a few things, but then he's so unbelievably REALLY REALLY bad at so many others that he's actually a net negative and nowhere near worth the wages and what's worse, his narcissistic tendencies make it so that he doesn't quite understand this issue and try to better himself which further exacerbate the issue when it's applied to a team sport and in particular affects younger players who might fall under his influence?
RHB: What the ****.

krentz

Imagine not reading the post properly. The point was not about Pep and Pogba specifically, but Pep playing a 4-3-3 with two attacking midfielders in midfield, something he’s done quite a lot.

We have played consistently with two deeper midfielders under both Mourinho and Ole. Bruno and Pogba don’t fit in this setup. I love Paul and his creativity but if it is the system Ole is wedded too (which all indication is that he is), then might as well optimize our squad for that system.
Imagine not knowing how Pep's method works.

krentz

EXACTLY. People weirdly think just because Pep was able to insert 2 attacking midfielders together, Pogba would fit into his system. Pep's system works as an unit coherently, they attack together and they DEFEND TOGETHER, that is not the case with Pogba.