Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Gurtej

Didn’t Hazard went for 100m in his last year of contract to Madrid? I know Hazard was the best player but Given Pogba commercial appeal... I think around 70m isn’t unrealistic by the buying club.... but only PSG can pay..... that’s the only issue... because Barcelona and RM have no money.... Same for Juventus...
My proposal would be :If to RM: Varane plus 25m
Juventus: Ronaldo plus 50m (he ain’t equal to Ronaldo shoe even at this age but at 36 and massive wages, I am sure Juventus will consider)...
Or I would do a straight swap with De jilit...
PSG: 70m cash....

As I said, nothing above is unrealistic if we use Hazard as a benchmark

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
When he leaves. United Will need to replace him. On top of the dm we need.

Good thing then is we won’t have to worry about him leaving this summer

there was no verification to back the claim by any credible outlet or journalist

AttackAttackAttack

I highly doubt anyone is going to purchase Pogba. He is going to go to psg next year for free when they lose mbappe. Hopefully, he plays his part in winning trophies with us next year and we can all move on on a high note. Pogba is world class on his day but isn’t the right fit for our team and that’s just how it is some times.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Rational Human Being: He's like the best refrigerator in the world - but it comes chain-welded to forty-thousand space heaters.
Pogba fanboi: But he's so amazing.
RHB: Do you understand that he's so bad at certain things that tactically it cancels out his 'amazingness'.
PF: He has 64m instagram followers. That doesn't happen if you're not an unbelievably amazing player who just needs the right teammate beside him.
RHB: He's like the most precise laser mouse in existence that totally aims exactly where you want it to - but it weighs three kilograms.
PF: Oh, wait, I get it. He's extraordinarily good at a few things, but then he's so unbelievably REALLY REALLY bad at so many others that he's actually a net negative and nowhere near worth the wages and what's worse, his narcissistic tendencies make it so that he doesn't quite understand this issue and try to better himself which further exacerbate the issue when it's applied to a team sport and in particular affects younger players who might fall under his influence?
RHB: What the ****.
:lol: :lol: I think its a bit of an exaggeration to compare his deficiencies to 40,000 space heaters. I suspect it,15,000 would be more realistic.

sglowrider

He'll do better elsewhere, not that I care greatly, and we can take some steps forwards in building a balanced team.

I hope PSG go for him this summer.
I wouldn't be so sure. For all the talent that the French NT has, they still struggled to accommodate him. The thing about Pogba and his teams is that you are hoping for moments or matches of brilliance. It's that 80/20 rule. But unfortunately its the 20% of brilliance that we or most teams usually get.

He is the sports news, Sky or ESPN's highlight reel on two legs.

sglowrider

Didn’t Hazard went for 100m in his last year of contract to Madrid? I know Hazard was the best player but Given Pogba commercial appeal... I think around 70m isn’t unrealistic by the buying club.... but only PSG can pay..... that’s the only issue... because Barcelona and RM have no money.... Same for Juventus...
My proposal would be :If to RM: Varane plus 25m
Juventus: Ronaldo plus 50m (he ain’t equal to Ronaldo shoe even at this age but at 36 and massive wages, I am sure Juventus will consider)...
Or I would do a straight swap with De jilit...
PSG: 70m cash....

As I said, nothing above is unrealistic if we use Hazard as a benchmark
:lol: :lol: :wenger:

This is realistic? In your world, you are the Director of Football for United too? Hazard was sold pre-Covid and when RM were desperate for a galactico which also partly explains their current predicament. Sancho's drop in price is also another indicator.

1) We are proposing like£45M for Varane so in your world Pogba is worth £20M?
2) Juve pays us £50M plus Ronaldo when they lost over $300+Million last year? Or swap for De Ligt? A guy who has issues with high balls?
3) £70M cash from PSG. Why would they be so desperate and who's place will he take at PSG?

Mister DOF?

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
I wouldn't be so sure. For all the talent that the French NT has, they still struggled to accommodate him. The thing about Pogba and his teams is that you are hoping for moments or matches of brilliance. It's that 80/20 rule. But unfortunately its the 20% of brilliance that we or most teams usually get.

He is the sports news, Sky or ESPN's highlight reel on two legs.
?

Pogba was player of the Euro’s up until France got knocked out. They don’t have to accommodate for him, he accommodates for them and is what he showcased.

what does France have that United don’t? Someone capable of playing DM competently. If that’s considered some sort of an accommodation then something is wrong at United (which it is/was, hopefully after this summer) as every team has that. It’s not his fault United don’t so they have to not only work around the lack of DM but also fitting/not fitting Pogba into certain lineups/formations as a result which is utterly pathetic and a damn shame ...you simply cannot pin or put the blame on Pogba for that, it is a result of a poor roster build (no regular DM) which is a given for literally every team in world football.

Tee27

So tired of this constant speculation surrounding him now. I remember being so over the moon when he came initially but he really is not worth the hassle with constant drama around his future.

He is of course such a talented player but he is now coming into his peak years and yet demonstrates such a lack of maturity at times that it’s probably best for all parties if he left.

I’d love it if he was truly committed and was going to give his all because on his day he can be a game changer but sadly never seemed like he is sure of whether he wanted to stay or not.

Tarrou

some people live in their own world when it comes to transfer fees

if we can get 50m it would be an great piece of business for us, because we have no leverage and probably only PSG can afford him

CG1010

The French NT has this player, Kante.... Clearly he wasn't good enough to partner Pogba as indicated in the Euros?!

The problem for most teams with Pogba in it, is that you have to give up so much in the hope that Pogba's brilliance shows up or gets utilised when it does.
That's a pretty high risk approach.
We've had him paired with Herrera, Fred and Matic at different points and he hasn't produced consistently. In my opinion the problem is that he is anti-lukaku, who does well in one-off games when world's spotlight is on him, but on a consistent basis can't focus against lower teams every week.

ForeverRed1

Sell him (50mil) lingard (25mil) martial (40mil) matic (5mil) James (20mil)

gives us 130mil plus whatever our budget already is to spend and invest on the squad.

I’m going to guess we would have a additional 180million after sancho to play with.

Get varane (50mil) camaving (30mil) and grealish (100mil). Feck it I’m in FM mode. :devil:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
?

Pogba was player of the Euro’s up until France got knocked out. They don’t have to accommodate for him, he accommodates for them and is what he showcased.

what does France have that United don’t? Someone capable of playing DM competently. If that’s considered some sort of an accommodation then something is wrong at United (which it is/was, hopefully after this summer) as every team has that. It’s not his fault United don’t so they have to not only work around the lack of DM but also fitting/not fitting Pogba into certain lineups/formations as a result which is utterly pathetic and a damn shame ...you simply cannot pin or put the blame on Pogba for that, it is a result of a poor roster build (no regular DM) which is a given for literally every team in world football.
First of all, you must've realized national football is different animal to club football. You get more time on the ball, especially playing for a team like France, which is packed with superstars.
Secondly, I don't see how this game vs Switzerland is given as an example how Kante - Pogba are a superb balanced pair, because Switzerland were running free through France midfield (especially in the first half). France also conceded 3 goals, playing Pogba - Kante and 3 CBs behind. Is that really what you want to see at United?

You sound very defensive about Pogba. I don't think there's much criticism towards him, we just need to accept what kind of player he is and either we move the world to accommodate him, or we just sell him to any interested buyer and find a more fitting replacement. It's nothing personal.

Last edited:

sglowrider

We've had him paired with Herrera, Fred and Matic at different points and he hasn't produced consistently. In my opinion the problem is that he is anti-lukaku, who does well in one-off games when world's spotlight is on him, but on a consistent basis can't focus against lower teams every week.
It's been two managers now. Plus the NT this time that have struggled. At some point it's to the detriment of the rest of the team and time to cut the cord.

Speako

This is realistic? In your world, you are the Director of Football for United too?

He said Varane plus 25m for Pogba, which by your valuation of Varane at £45m, would make Pogba worth £70m in ‘his world’ wouldn’t it?

If you’re going to try and take someone apart, at least get the basics right.

He'sRaldo

Funny how Pogba's season is being rewritten yet again. I guess it's another average season under his belt.

This was always going to happen and quite a few posters called it, but still interesting to see it unfold. Seems no matter how he performs the talk will always be "not consistent", "disappointment", etc.

At this point both parties will definitely be better off with him leaving (at least the mental health of the fans will, not so sure about the team itself).

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
First of all, you must've realized national football is different animal to club football. You get more time on the ball, especially playing for a team like France, which is packed with superstars.
Secondly, I don't see how this game vs Switzerland is given as an example how Kante - Pogba are a superb balanced pair, because Switzerland were running free through France midfield (especially in the first half). France also conceded 3 goals, playing Pogba - Kante and 3 CBs behind. Is that really what you want to see at United?

Secondly, you sound very defensive about Pogba. I don't think there's much criticism towards Pogba, we just need to accept what kind of player he is and either we move the world to accommodate him, or we just sell him to any interested buyer and find a more fitting replacement. It's nothing personal.
that was a tactical decision by Deschamps against the Swiss that didn’t pay off. Usually when you go 3 CBs, you have 2 wing backs / 5 total defenders. That game France went with Rabiot at LWB/LM (who’s not a defender) and Pavard at RWB/RM who is a defender but was deployed to take up a more attacking position. France on paper had 4 defenders instead of the 5 you're accustomed to seeing with 3 CB. Deschamps overestimated Switzerland and thought he could overrun them. Pogba still had an outstanding performance that match as he was the 2nd highest rated France player https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51198969

here’s how France lined up in their previous games before their knockout game:

...Pogba is played at the pivot and plays ahead of Kanté (the other DM/#6) with your regular back4. They are not overrun in those games and dominate. Picking the exception in the Swiss game where Deschamps elected to take on risk defensively is definitely not the norm and yet Pogba/Kante were still the highest rated French players other than Benzema in a game they supposedly didn’t play well in. Nor does it fall on Pogba’s shoulders somehow and prove that’s what would be happening week-in, week-out at United. Also, I did not mention the Swiss game since it definitely was not the ideal or normal setup France go with, it was you that brought it up.

Yes I agree we know the type of player Pogba is and yep, nothing personal at all. I just don’t believe it’s accommodating by any means. United simply don’t have a defensively responsible DM/#6 of starting quality. If we did, we’d see Pogba paired with said player regularly. And as alluded to, it was the case with Matic when he had just enough juice to start for a year. This is “moving the world” to accommodate United more so than anything because we’re the only big club out there that lacks such a critical player in said position. Pogba or no Pogba, doesn’t change the fact we need that DM / defensively reliable #6 to pair in any sort of pivot. Also thank you for discussing :)

Last edited:

Devil may care

I'm a fan of Pogba but Ole has nailed his sail to the 4-2-3-1 and Bruno thrives as the #10, no matter who we bring into midfield Pogba will never be suited to the double pivot so if we can get a good fee from PSG then I think it makes sense.

DickDastardly

Funny how Pogba's season is being rewritten yet again. I guess it's another average season under his belt.

This was always going to happen and quite a few posters called it, but still interesting to see it unfold. Seems no matter how he performs the talk will always be "not consistent", "disappointment", etc.

At this point both parties will definitely be better off with him leaving (at least the mental health of the fans will, not so sure about the team itself).
So, let me get this straight, you're saying it WAS a good season for him?

3 goals and 3 assists in the PL.
Finished second. Zero silverware for club or country.

Yep, i'd say you could call it disappointing.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm a fan of Pogba but Ole has nailed his sail to the 4-2-3-1 and Bruno thrives as the #10, no matter who we bring into midfield Pogba will never be suited to the double pivot so if we can get a good fee from PSG then I think it makes sense.
Let's be honest, Pogba was supposed to be the Bruno we wanted and needed but despite playing every position in midfield with every partnership going he's got no where near the heights (consistently) that Bruno has. On top of that either he or his agent have taken the opportunity to speak about leaving whenever they get put in front of a journo.

The relationship has run its course now and a breakup is best for everyone. It's a shame we couldn't make it work because he is a decent player on his day but that day never comes as often as we want it to. I'd be amazed if he signed a new contract with the likes of PSG now sniffing around and Riaola wanting to tuck into the buffet going on over there.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
that was a tactical decision by Deschamps against the Swiss that didn’t pay off. Usually when you go 3 CBs, you have 2 wing backs / 5 total defenders. That game France went with Rabiot at LWB/LM (who’s not a defender) and Pavard at RWB/RM who is a defender but was deployed to take up a more attacking position. France on paper had 4 defenders instead of the 5 you're accustomed to seeing with 3 CB. Deschamps overestimated Switzerland and thought he could overrun them. Pogba still had an outstanding performance that match as he was the 2nd highest rated France player https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51198969
He had an outstanding game offensively for sure, but you have to consider the midfield as a whole - I don't think France really had control over the central areas with Pogba-Kante and then Rabiot. And I'm not even mentioning penalty kick which should've buried France and the Pogba losing ball in 90+ minutes. It was an end-to-end game, with neither team controlling the game, which you would really expect from France midfield. So my question still stands, if that was an "outstanding" Pogba performance, do we really want that kind of games at United? It's not rhetorical question.

...Pogba is played at the pivot and plays ahead of Kanté (the other DM/#6) with your regular back4. They are not overrun in those games and dominate. Picking the exception in the Swiss game where Deschamps elected to take on risk defensively is definitely not the norm and yet Pogba/Kante were still the highest rated French players other than Benzema in a game they supposedly didn’t play well in. Nor does it fall on Pogba’s shoulders somehow and prove that’s what would be happening week-in, week-out at United. Also, I did not mention the Swiss game since it definitely was not the ideal or normal setup France go with, it was you that brought it up.

Yes I agree we know the type of player Pogba is and yep, nothing personal at all. I just don’t believe it’s accommodating by any means. United simply don’t have a defensively responsible DM/#6 of starting quality. If we did, we’d see Pogba paired with said player regularly. And as alluded to, it was the case with Matic when he had just enough juice to start for a year. This is “moving the world” to accommodate United more so than anything because we’re the only big club out there that lacks such a critical player in said position. Pogba or no Pogba, doesn’t change the fact we need that DM / defensively reliable #6 to pair in any sort of pivot. Also thank you for discussing :)
That is true, however - with the number of star quality players at France, wouldn't you expect them to dominate most games? Also, do you think this can be replicated at the club level? Because whoever we get for the DM position (I agree it should be our priority now), I can assure you it won't mean we will dominate/control games better. We might create more chances with Pogba in midfield, especially against low / mid-table teams, but Pogba doesn't really help to control games. He's the extra addition when you already dominate the game. A lot of people seem to miss that. He's not the player to keep the ball when necessary, he's always in pretty much the same mode, which is why so many people are used to him losing the ball in 90'+ and don't see any issue with that.

Regarding the exception in the Swiss game - I chose that game because although Pogba was very highly rated player, France still managed to lose 3 goals and were not controlling the game. Which is the problem of PP in midfield IMO. Now you'll find two groups on this forum - one group will tell you it's fine because he's there to create and don't care about other stuff (basically the idea of playing AM in CM), the other (including me) will argue midfielder has other job to do as well, even if it means he's less creative/dangerous. In the end it's about winning games, not creating a platform for Pogba to shine. So far I've seen little evidence you can get both at the same time, at least for United.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
PSG does lack the creativity from midfield. Pogba is simply perfect for them. Please, let this be true. £50m and I'd bite their hands off.
Ok call me greedy, but any chance Pogba + little cash for Mbappe?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No mate. I read somewhere that it's his dream to play for Madrid.
Sure but if he has a sensible mind, we might convince him to come join us instead:
- Madrid is going through major rebuild, with aging midfield and 2 first team CB pair gone. It would took them a while.
- We are a team on the upward rise to power, a young team with many top players at good age (Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno, Shaw, Maguire etc, and in-coming Varane and Camavinga)
- PL is currently best league in world and going to dominate Europe for years. The money is all there in PL. While LL superpowers are in steep decline and financially a mess, there is clearly not as much money in the league. At this age it’s absolutely critical for him to move to the best league in the world with best viewership.

Last edited:

Kaos

No mate. I read somewhere that it's his dream to play for Madrid.
Isn't he just trying to emulate his idol Ronaldo? If so he could follow in his footsteps, join us, win a handful of League titles, the champions league, and ballon d'or, and then move on to Madrid in about 6 years :angel:

Strelok

Sure but if he has a sensible mind, we might convince him to come join us instead:
- Madrid is going through major rebuild, with aging midfield and 2 first team CB pair gone. It would took them a while.
- We are a team on the upward rise to power, a young team with many top players at good age (Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno, Shaw, Maguire etc, and in-coming Varane and Camavinga)
- PL is currently best league in world and going to dominate Europe for years. The money is all there in PL. While LL superpowers are in steep decline and financially a mess, there is clearly not as much money in the league. At this age it’s absolutely critical for him to move to the best league in the world with best viewership.
Isn't he just trying to emulate his idol Ronaldo? If so he could follow in his footsteps, join us, win a handful of League titles, the champions league, and ballon d'or, and then move on to Madrid in about 6 years :angel:
If not for his dream imo he'd simply extend his contract and stay at PSG. Money is not an issue with those oil clubs you know. And they're trying every possible means to win the CL.

Maybe one day he'll come to us but not the now I think, we simply could not give out that kind of wages and let's be honest I don't think we and the PL are that attractive for him. Madrid, for all their issues and their current state still is the dream destination of basically every players except English and German ones I think.

Kaos

I remember a recent video of the French national team on a plane. Griezmann was gloating about his FM save where he'd won everything with Newcastle and signed Mbappe. Mbappe's response was that its not sunny enough there. Its off lads.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If not for his dream imo he'd simply extend his contract and stay at PSG. Money is not an issue with those oil clubs you know. And they're trying every possible means to win the CL.

Maybe one day he'll come to us but not the now I think, we simply could not give out that kind of wages and let's be honest I don't think we and the PL are that attractive for him. Madrid, for all their issues and their current state still is the dream destination of basically every players except English and German ones I think.
Well let’s see, some major key players has already left or going to leave Real Madrid. And they are well beaten by some new superpower from PL this season. Let’s see if they still have the pull over PL teams.

romufc

Not hyped by him at all but the stats say we are a better team with him in it than without him.

If we want to mix it with the best, we have to have as many world class players in the squad as possible. Simple as that, really.

You have your facts incorrect.

Even the bigger games, our results show that we get better results without Pogba in the side than him in the side.

Gurtej

This is realistic? In your world, you are the Director of Football for United too? Hazard was sold pre-Covid and when RM were desperate for a galactico which also partly explains their current predicament. Sancho's drop in price is also another indicator.

2) Juve pays us £50M plus Ronaldo when they lost over $300+Million last year? Or swap for De Ligt? A guy who has issues with high balls?
3) £70M cash from PSG. Why would they be so desperate and who's place will he take at PSG?

Mister DOF?
1) didn’t knew you were that strong at maths..anyway let me try again...
I said Pogba is Varane plus 25m...

If Varane (a defender also with one year left on contract) is worth 45m in your eyes, than Pogba (an attacker and sells more shirts) is definitely worth 70m

2) I didn’t say Juve will pay, I said if Juve want... These should be options. Personally I don’t care if Juve lost 300m..

3) Again, this assumes PSG wants him. I was referring to the 70m valuation which is a very reasonable valuation even including 20% discount on Covid. We are talking about a World Cup winner and who had a great Euro. You are grossly underestimating his commercial value.

now if no one wants him, I won’t mind him signing another contract but I won’t be too fused either if he leaves...

Gurtej

He said Varane plus 25m for Pogba, which by your valuation of Varane at £45m, would make Pogba worth £70m in ‘his world’ wouldn’t it?

If you’re going to try and take someone apart, at least get the basics right.
He obviously wanted to show his maths skills...

jamesjimmybyrondean

I was thinking we wouldnt be able to sell him fo more than 40m but with PSG's interest we should be looking at getting 60m