Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

laughtersassassin

Of course, but they still have a minimum price set.

United ideally want to recoup some money back for him.

In a perfect world, Pogba should be paying us some money back.
Nonsense. We asking Fred to pay us money back?

Him for 50 mil is way worse than Pogba for 89 mil.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes he clearly is going to publicly shame and slam his agent isn’t he.

Swear people think the footballing business is like a football video game
He could either tell his agent privately that certain tactics are off the table, including chronically disrespecting and trying to destabilise the club. Or he could publicly give his own statements which distance himself from the views of his agent.

Neither are unreasonable, but some people just like to act like Pogba is some slave to Raiola and can't actually stop him from running his mouth when speaking on their behalf.

Idxomer

Publicly? Obviously not.

He could have a word with him privately, though.

He obviously hasn't - given that Raiola's been at it ever since Pogba moved to Juve back in the day.
I think he finally told him to stop after last year's comments.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why aren't we buying a midfielder if he leaves on a free? This makes no sense...
Remember, it's about progressing to challenge the league. We want to improve our squad every season. If we lose Pogba for free and end up using our next summer budget just to sign his replacement means we aren't getting better. Think about it.

What if he signs the contract in November?
Why leave it to November? That makes no sense. Why can't he sign it now? Why can't he just be certain what he wants and stop the Pogba transfer saga this summer?

What if we don't want to move on but our preferance is to keep him?
That's what I'm arguing right? I said we must not do that, we need to make the decision now.

What if we let Pogba go on a free but we get Goretzka on a free in return? Does that still mean we can't move on?
The player already said he wants to stay at Bayern.

What if Pogba has let everyone know at the club his situation, whatever it is, and we have made some informed decisions behind the scenes?

So many questions!!!
Let everyone know what?

He'sRaldo

He could either tell his agent privately that certain tactics are off the table, including chronically disrespecting and trying to destabilise the club. Or he could publicly give his own statements which distance himself from the views of his agent.

Neither are unreasonable, but some people just like to act like Pogba is some slave to Raiola and can't actually stop him from running his mouth when speaking on their behalf.
He did pretty much gag him recently iirc. I remember Raiola complaining about that.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think he finally told him to stop after last year's comments.
Could be - he hasn't said anything outrageous for a while now (I think).

ETA If Pogs did, then fair enough - though it really is the very least you'd expect from someone who supposedly loves United.

marktan

One new development from the Messi leaving Barca story is that if he does go to PSG, which is the most likely destination for him, you can pretty much kiss this transfer goodbye. Shame. I thought he'd fit in well at PSG. Happy if he stays with us but knowing our luck he ends up joining on a free in a year anyway.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

From Rob Dawson's interview here:

Anyways, it looks like there's not much being given out by any side here. Anything can happen at this stage.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Mbappe is 10 times worse. My guess is Real Madrid will try to sign Mbappe and Pogba for free next summer, and will see if they can land Haaland as well. Mbappe on the right, and Haaland in the middle. Benzema's contract expires next summer too.
His contract will be extended until 2023, it hasn't been official yet.

SirAnderson

From Rob Dawson's interview here:

Anyways, it looks like there's not much being given out by any side here. Anything can happen at this stage.
Huh, that seems more like a "could potential renew" stage than a "anything can happen" stage.
Ole literally says the talks he has had with him have been positive. Weird take but anyway.
I do agree that anything can still happen, but I'm more inclined to think he will renew based on that tweet than anything else.

alexthelion

It's almost as if you are describing players can have different kind of performance over a season. It's not something unique to Pogba. In Pogba case it's blown out of proportion.
Is it?

Is there another United player that has such high highs and such low lows? He's either brilliant or terrible, there doesn't seem to be anything in between.

pav1790

That's a weird thing to be concerned about. I would happily take meltdowns here if Pogba stays and does well.
I don't think the guy is saying there will be meltdowns if he does well. Everyone - okay almost everyone - who is a fan of the club will want him to do well if he does stay.

But some fans, including me over the last year and a half, think that :

1. Pogba rarely performs to his potential over a season. Bar the 2018-19 when he was magnificent.
2. Pogba's agent and family are clowns. Which reflects poorly on him.
3. If Pogba wasn't this talented, no one would give a shit. But he is. And yet, he hasn't made as much of it in a red shirt as he could have.

1. and 3. would not exist if Pogba was doing well. And one can ignore the agent and others if he's doing well.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Huh, that seems more like a "could potential renew" stage than a "anything can happen" stage.
Ole literally says the talks he has had with him have been positive. Weird take but anyway.
I do agree that anything can still happen, but I'm more inclined to think he will renew based on that tweet than anything else.
Previously, I thought that he was likely to leave, but these comments have given me more hope. They've basically moved the needle to the middle. For it to swing in United's favour, I'm hoping to read some more updates on Pogba wanting to stay in the next few days/weeks.

KennyBurner

No way PSG can afford both Messi and Pogba. If Pogba is smart he renews. This is the SUPER LEAGUE!

SirAnderson

Previously, I thought that he was likely to leave, but these comments have given me more hope. They've basically moved the needle to the middle. For it to swing in United's favour, I'm hoping to read some more updates on Pogba wanting to stay in the next few days/weeks.
Ah well then from your standpoint, I understand now.
My point of departure is from him staying this season and leaving on a free, so reading that gives me hope he will consider renewing.

Walters_19_MuFc

No way PSG can afford both Messi and Pogba. If Pogba is smart he renews. This is the SUPER LEAGUE!
Messi is free and Pogba won't be that much, given he's in his last 12 months. PSG are on City's levels when it comes to funds so I doubt it'd be a struggle acquiring the aforementioned players.

That being said, I hope Pogba does stay but the thought of playing with Messi, Neymar and Mbappe could be tempting.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
PSG could well afford his wages along with Messi's, just depends on how they do the state-owned thing and hide some of it. And no doubt, if they sign Messi, Pogba will of course be even more attracted to going there. I just don't see how it makes sporting sense for PSG. If they have a forward line of Messi, Di Maria, Mbappe and Neymar, they can't be having Pogba in midfield, they'll need workers who are defensively sound (besides being able to supply that forward line).

MattofManchester

I'm starting to think both the club and Pogba are in two minds.

Pogba wants to leave, but not to PSG, because he initially said he would never join them. He wants Madrid. Madrid can't get him.

Ole wants Pogba to stay, but I wonder if we're waiting to see if we can actually fit him into the team without it hurting us over the season and he can perform in a disciplined role.
No point renewing a player who tactically doesn't fit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
PSG probably had a feeling Messi wasn't going to stay at Barca so were delaying Pogba. Think Messi goes there now and Pogba stays. Next summer on a free he'll likely go though.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Well, this just got interesting, I think Pogba might have overplayed his hand, if PSG - who let's be honest, probably wouldn't have been his first choice destination - sign Messi there's zero chance they move for him this summer.

If that happens I'd be very tempted to give him the ultimatum of either sign a new contract or run his deal down with no commitment on playing time, relegate him to a squad role, at best, and let him face the consequences of that.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Could be - he hasn't said anything outrageous for a while now (I think).

ETA If Pogs did, then fair enough - though it really is the very least you'd expect from someone who supposedly loves United.
I think Raoila finally realises how badly Covid has hit the clubs and that the clubs that can afford Pogba and his demands are basically us and PSG.

The United

He did pretty much gag him recently iirc. I remember Raiola complaining about that.
He had to shut up for now because they realized that no one was actually paying/wanting him at this moment and they had to keep an option which is united extending his contract with most of their demands met.

Raiola is a cnut but he is not that stupid.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wonder if Pogba is waiting for the season to start to see if we are genuinely capable of challenging. Or if he's already decided to go.

Canagel

The PSG thing was never a serious thing . It was always a desperate link being pushed by only the French journalists but not by the top tier sources. And Pogba has never been serious about playing in France and PSG (his family are Marseille and the French league is not attractive for the best players in the world in their prime). His dream has always been Madrid,it looks like he will make himself available to them next year.

Pogba, Mbappe and Camavinga will all link up at Real in 2022 for frees

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Publicly? Obviously not.

He could have a word with him privately, though.

He obviously hasn't - given that Raiola's been at it ever since Pogba moved to Juve back in the day.
Riola literally said he's not allowed to talk about Pogba and United transfers this summer and last

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Since PSG may sign Messi now, I don’t think they are interested to spend big amount on Pogba this summer, so it’s likely Pogba will stay here for another year and then leave for free next summer.

Threesus

I mean, Messi is a better playmaker than Pogba, so I do feel like having both would be overkill.

Saying that, surely Paul must be salivating at the thought of playing with potentially Messi, Neymar and Mbappe?

hungrywing

Well, this just got interesting, I think Pogba might have overplayed his hand, if PSG - who let's be honest, probably wouldn't have been his first choice destination - sign Messi there's zero chance they move for him this summer.

If that happens I'd be very tempted to give him the ultimatum of either sign a new contract or run his deal down with no commitment on playing time, relegate him to a squad role, at best, and let him face the consequences of that.
Here's hoping Ole has that sort of backbone.

Bestietom

There has to be a deadline. Sign or go. We just cannot take the risk of losing him on a free next year. Shouldn't happen.