g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verminator

If it was the view of the club and everyone else that Pogba is the best midfielder in the world, and he was worthy of a world record bid, the obvious question would be "why would he go to a club chasing 4th place, and on its third manager in two years?"

legball

If it was the view of the club and everyone else that Pogba is the best midfielder in the world, and he was worthy of a world record bid, the obvious question would be "why would he go to a club chasing 4th place, and on its third manager in two years?"
Did that stop Chelea or other clubs from signing top players? He might go to United because they are on an upward curve after ONE bad season, because they are traditionally a big club and have ALWAYS won things, they have a world class manager RIGHT NOW and they have MONEY to burn. We are not fecking West Ham or Tottenham Hotspur.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We won't be chasing 4th next season and it'll be the managers second season.

Verminator

Don't get me wrong. Just look at it from the player's point of view. If he could choose any club in the world, would we top the list? No amount of chest thumping alters facts.
People discussing whether we should buy him need to consider that he will have a say in the matter.

Last edited:

Ananke

If he could go to any club in the world...well you're thinking in terms of just the best clubs at the moment. We all know, thats not how these things work.

Add in the factors of whether a club is gaining momentum, potential, successful history, ffp, and then there is the all important factor. Will you get game time.

No doubt pogba could walk into any club at the moment. But we're talking about an individual who left us due to getting bugger all game time. You think he's not bothered about that all of a sudden? Look at the top teams in the world right now. If they bring in pogba, he's going to want to play 90% of the time. That benches another midfielder ( most of the top teams have fantastic midfield setups ) and create a chance of that midfielder wanting to leave.

However, look at United. We have the history, he knows the club, he's still a fan, we have the potential, we have big players here, and theres a lovely little spot perfect for him in our midfield where he has guaranteed play time and most likely be a core player for years to come.

Theres not many 'top' clubs that can offer that unless they're willing to risk losing a midfielder.

legball

It's not chest pumping to suggest United have a world class manager, are in an upward trajectory, have some top class players in their ranks and an ability to offer insane wages because they have a huge pile of cash, it's reality. On the issue of 2 manager in 3 years, well, he's had 2 in 4 years at Juve. Players don't simply look at a league table and decide where to go.

Verminator

You sound like Liverpool fans.
We have no guarantee of getting into the champs league.
Our world class manager can't promise that after spending a ridiculous amount of money.
Bale displaced Reals (non-Ronaldo) poty and we bought him.
The best players don't give a feck about not playing because they always will.
If I wanted guaranteed champs league United would not be anywhere near first choice, despite the opportunity to live in a piss wet industrial town.
And yes I'm a manc st holder.

legball

You sound like Liverpool fans.
Our world class manager can't promise that after spending a ridiculous amount of money.
If I wanted guaranteed champs league United would not be anywhere near first choice, despite the opportunity to live in a piss wet industrial town.
Who cares if you hold a season ticket? And how does Liverpool fans sound? We did not dominate 30 yrs ago, we were champions just over 18 months ago, stop acting like a small know nothing child. You're going to wave away all facts [money, trajectory, manager] put before you, and hold on to your silly argument about a champions leageu place [despite the fact we are now 4th and finished 7th last time out] and location. It's not like the likes of Di Maria, De Gea, Mata, Silva, Aguero and co live in Manchester.

SirAF

Ageist
Is it 1980?

Verminator

I only mentioned being a st holder and a manc to assure you of my allegiances.
As for trajectory, that can easily change. The fact we still can't promise champs league next year is going to be a concern. Ignore that if you will.
Manager? The jury's still out One thing for sureIis he is eccentric, so unpredictable. The money will be offered by rivals.
Manchester is industrial even though industry is different. It certainly isn't halakeside holiday destination.
The fact nno one is jumping in supporting my viewpoint could mean I hold a radical belief, but each to their own. I would bet that he wouldn't be coming here.
And you can leave out the petty insults. I'm not a child and have been going since the mid 70's.

Ananke

'The best players dont give a feck about not playing because they always will' that sentence is shocking. Makes no sense whatsoever. Youre basically saying the best players will always play, and therefore dont care about if they play or not. Do you not see how retarded that sounds.

One has nothing to do with the other. The best players DO care about playing, and they want game time. Have you seen madrids midfield? Have you seen who've they've bought their in the last few years. No doubt madrid could get pogba, but someone will suffer game time and that someone is going to go looking somewhere else. Because the best players want to play the majority of games. Your sentence is very retarded though, no offence:

Verminator

'The best players dont give a feck about not playing because they always will' that sentence is shocking. Makes no sense whatsoever. Youre basically saying the best players will always play, and therefore dont care about if they play or not. Do you not see how retarded that sounds.

One has nothing to do with the other. The best players DO care about playing, and they want game time. Have you seen madrids midfield? Have you seen who've they've bought their in the last few years. No doubt madrid could get pogba, but someone will suffer game time and that someone is going to go looking somewhere else. Because the best players want to play the majority of games. Your sentence is very retarded though, no offence:
Just like Ronaldo Is getting dropped? Messi? Costa?
Your lack of comprehension when it comes to the word "best" is a little retarded. No offence.
They are not under threat of being benched. Not that they don't care if or how they play.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Problem with signing Pogba is he'd probably feck off somewhere in couple of years time when Riola gets bored and starts calling shots, and we'd be in market again starting from scratch looking for another midfielder.
I'd rather see some continuity, stability and long term planning in building our squad and signings we make.

OneUnited24

Problem with signing Pogba is he'd probably feck off somewhere in couple of years time when Riola gets bored and starts calling shots, and we'd be in market again starting from scratch looking for another midfielder.
I'd rather see some continuity, stability and long term planning in building our squad and signings we make.
Also it kind of defeats the point of our academy. Pogba like Morrison had bags of potential while here and expected to be treated differently rather than trust the coaches. You dont want to have a academy where kids who havent even made it think they are the business.

Great player but he treated us like crap and i wouldn't want to see him back here. Plus he'd cost a arm and a leg which i would rather we spend on defense

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Madrid would sell someone to make room for Pogba. They're current options in midfield are incredible and have done nothing wrong but we know what they're like.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Also it kind of defeats the point of our academy. Pogba like Morrison had bags of potential while here and expected to be treated differently rather than trust the coaches. You dont want to have a academy where kids who havent even made it think they are the business.

Great player but he treated us like crap and i wouldn't want to see him back here. Plus he'd cost a arm and a leg which i would rather we spend on defense
No.

And again, even if he wanted to feck off after a couple of years, we could still fetch a pretty good money for him selling him to Real/PSG if they came in knocking.

OneUnited24

The pre-season he left SAF mentioned how he was expecting Pogba to return. He even remarked after that he showed no respect to us. Sounds pretty disrespectful to me

Lets also not forget how Pogba openly criticized us in the wake of his departure only to change his tune recently - probably because his agent realised he may need to use us to get more money elsewhere.

LR7

I find us being linked to Pogba infuriating. The lad left us a few seasons ago on a free transfer after running down his contract, and now we are expected to buy him back for an obscene amount of money? Does it make any sense?

Kostur

海尔的老板
The pre-season he left SAF mentioned how he was expecting Pogba to return. He even remarked after that he showed no respect to us. Sounds pretty disrespectful to me

Lets also not forget how Pogba openly criticized us in the wake of his departure only to change his tune recently - probably because his agent realised he may need to use us to get more money elsewhere.
Can't be bothered to go into this discussion again because I believe it's been repeated here about thousand times already but it's not really him who treated us like crap, other way around, he went looking for playing time, got it at Juve and immensely benefitted from it.

It's as if with our injury crisis in defence we played Fletcher and Valencia in CBs instead of giving chance to McNair and Blackett (not to mention that their talent/ability is way lower than Pogba's).

Kag

For once, it's a superstar purchase that they could really do with. A Modric, Pogba, Kroos trio is scary good.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
And where exactly would he play? BBC is constant. Then you have James, Modric, Kroos, Isco. Someone needs to be sold obviously to make way for Pogba. I suspect either of Modric or Isco will leave.

cyberman

Real Madrid need to calm down, they're becoming a parody of themselves if they go for Pogba.
It's not an elite club to play for since every top player outside of Barca will end up playing for them, absolutely no identity.
Is signing Kroos and Pogba really worth letting Di Maria and Bale / Isco go really an upgrade?
It makes no sense to me. Every year you're adjusting your play to accommodate new players.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think he will do good in EPL if he has to move. Huge potential in this player.
Yes, it's a bit of a shame that him and Modric haven't been able to shine at the same time. For that to happen, a big name would have to be benched. They're the sort of players I watch football matches for.

Redo91

Real Madrid need to calm down, they're becoming a parody of themselves if they go for Pogba.
It's not an elite club to play for since every top player outside of Barca will end up playing for them, absolutely no identity.
Is signing Kroos and Pogba really worth letting Di Maria and Bale / Isco go really an upgrade?
It makes no sense to me. Every year you're adjusting your play to accommodate new players.
Ya they are becoming a bit of a joke. Back with the original galactico era their signings made sense as they tended to go for players they actually needed. Now they are just going for whoever is the new big thing regardless of whether they need him or not. Only Ronaldo and Benzema out of their midfield and attack have been at the club for 3 years or more. The average life span of a player in those positions at Real is about 2-3 years no matter how talented you are. How can you build a team if you are constantly changing players?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
And where exactly would he play? BBC is constant. Then you have James, Modric, Kroos, Isco. Someone needs to be sold obviously to make way for Pogba. I suspect either of Modric or Isco will leave.
It would be a bad time for Pogba to move to them if you ask me. He's still got a few years developing to do yet.

Literally every player Madrid have is currently better than him and how much grace will he be given to develop in a team that is at its peak?

He's not a holding midfielder, so he's competing with Kroos and Modric who are both a good level above him. He'll reach that level, I'm sure of that but I don't think it would be a good place for him to go and develop into that player. The cretin Madrid fans would be on his back after a season if he's not at the level they were hoping.

ottosec

Looking through the thread I feel that some are really overrating his current level. He will probably be the best midfielder in the world in the future, but he's not as good now as some seem to think.

I think he will go to Madrid, where Modric and Kroos are both better players, but will probably play ahead of Modric, because he will be the new toy.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Ya they are becoming a bit of a joke. Back with the original galactico era their signings made sense as they tended to go for players they actually needed.
Errm no. Signing beckham for example made no sense since they already had Figo and had to shoe horn Beckham in the midfield. Even Signing Ronaldo (Original) was not a pressing need since they had Raul, peak Morientes and Guti (who could play behind a forward). There is a reason why they never won a single CL in the original galactico era and only one league title.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Errm no. Signing beckham for example made no sense since they already had Figo and had to shoe horn Beckham in the midfield. Even Signing Ronaldo (Original) was not a pressing need since they had Raul, peak Morientes and Guti (who could play behind a forward). There is a reason why they never won a single CL in the original galactico era and only one league title.
Eh? They won the UCL in 00?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Eh? They won the UCL in 00?
They won it in 01/02 in Zidane's first season. You could argue that galactico era started with their capture of Figo. I do believe they really went crazy post 2002 though. Even if you go start with Figo signing, the record is not that impressive compared to likes of Barca, Bayern or even United's surge in last decade. I also remember them finishing out of a CL place once during that era and getting by because Spanish FA paid off the team that took their place.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They won it in 01/02 in Zidane's first season. You could argue that galactico era started with their capture of Figo. I do believe they really went crazy post 2002 though. Even if you go start with Figo signing, the record is not that impressive compared to likes of Barca, Bayern or even United's surge in last decade. I also remember them finishing out of a CL place once during that era and getting by because Spanish FA paid off the team that took their place.
They were very good in Europe between 2000 (signing of Figo) and 2003 (Beckham). It went to shit after Beckham came, they lost balance and tried playing him in midfield and Makelele left for Chelsea which was probably the main cause.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Well Figo won it with them in Zidanes first season too, so that suggests they did win the UCL during that galactico era. The only two real galacticos I can think of that didn't win it with them was Ronaldo and Beckham.

Status
Not open for further replies.