Paul Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Khedira and Illaramendi will be enough. They might well play all 3 of him, Modric and Kroos in the middle if they're willing to let Bale go in the summer.
Possibly, but if they let go of Bale, they'll be wanting to replace him with another winger.

Also, Isco and Rodriguez play in centre midfield, so if they keep Modric and get Pogba, they'll have Kroos, Modric, Pogba, Isco, Rodriguez and Lucas Silva, who they bought the other day. That's three spaces for six players, and I doubt any of the aforementioned players, except for maybe Silva, will be happy being rotated.

ottosec

I saw Pirlo's interview that he wouldn't come back here. But surely we are an option, because not many clubs can actually afford this guy? If he continues to play like this he will go for at least 80M€.

I remember PSG signed Luiz for 50M and Aurier for 10 last summer and couldn't buy anything else, so unless they offload somebody expensive, can they really afford him? City and Chelsea can probably afford him, but do they really need a CM, can they splash everything on one player? Obviously, we can never underestimate Chelsea's ability to sell shit as gold, so maybe they can make it work.

With Barcelona out this summer, I think he might go to Madrid, they need to make their summer big transfer, so who better than Pogba?

RocK3T

(Manchester) 'Pele called me the greatest football
If Pogba does end up at Madrid, then is it possible for Modric to end up with us? We all know how Madrid push aside old toys (Ozil, Di Maria) for new toys and it doesn't seem like such a crazy suggestion to me. What are the chances that they buy Pogba whilst keeping Modric and Kroos?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
For 100mil euros, I think we could probably by 2 top quality players which would do wonders for our team. Don't see the point in getting Pogba for that money

Kag

His agent really is a prize prat. I've never had any issues with the way Pogba left the club but he'd be better served by telling his agent to shut up. There's a kind of circus around Pogba that seems quite the fit for an eventual move to Madrid. From the outside, the move would benefit both parties.

saivet

"AC Milan wanted to sign him, together with Genoa, and then send him there on loan. Inter said they did not want to create a row with (former Manchester United boss) Sir Alex Ferguson.

:lol:

NoPace

If he goes to PSG, can we get Verratti?

----------Rooney------
--DiMaria----------Winger
-----Verrati--Herrera
-----------Blind-----

looks real strong to me. Lots of energy and technical skill. Bit light on goal threat, but the winger should be someone who can fix that. I know Di Maria plays better inside, but I'm starting to think it's just a lot more realistic we get 1 CM and 1 winger to complete our front 6 and Di Maria is pushed wider than it is realistic that we sign 2 CM's and go with a DiMaria-Herrera-Blind central 3

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Paul's agent realises that his man's star is shining as bright as its ever going to get for a 21 year old. Heck,even Juve know they sitting on a jackpot. Cash in now or later?

ottosec

For 100mil euros, I think we could probably by 2 top quality players which would do wonders for our team. Don't see the point in getting Pogba for that money
That is probably true, but from all the players available in the summer, he is probably the only one who is worth that kind of money. We should buy him, if we have the chance, imo.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
If he goes to PSG, can we get Verratti?

----------Rooney------
--DiMaria----------Winger
-----Verrati--Herrera
-----------Blind-----

looks real strong to me. Lots of energy and technical skill. Bit light on goal threat, but the winger should be someone who can fix that. I know Di Maria plays better inside, but I'm starting to think it's just a lot more realistic we get 1 CM and 1 winger to complete our front 6 and Di Maria is pushed wider than it is realistic that we sign 2 CM's and go with a DiMaria-Herrera-Blind central 3
Herrera can't even get into the starting 11 right now lol, what makes you think he will get in after another spending spree? I'd replace Herrera with Schniederlin and play Di Maria in Verratis position.

As for Pogba, no club in the world will offer anywhere near 100million for a midfielder, no chance. But I would definately encourage the club to bid big for him, at least big enough that we blow other clubs out the water. There really isn't many midfielders we could get that are better than Pogba, and he could probably go on to become our best ever midfielder (and that's saying something!). He's stated plenty of times that he's a Mancunian and I would love him back here as I personally don't think he will sound out PSG or Madrid later, and even if he did we would make a huge profit from him.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
As for Pogba, no club in the world will offer anywhere near 100million for a midfielder, no chance.
Zidane went for €75 million, and that was 14 years ago now. If a players good enough, there's no reason why a club wouldn't go that high (apart from FFP perhaps).

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Zidane went for €75 million, and that was 14 years ago now. If a players good enough, there's no reason why a club wouldn't go that high (apart from FFP perhaps).
Zidane has a case for being in the top 3 best ever players to have lived, he also had a ballon'dor to his name before he moved to Madrid.

As good as Pogba is, he is not close to the level Zizou was.

legball

So, people think Pogba can't join United because Pirlo said so or because he wasn't given a chance under Alex Ferguson. We'll sign him in the summer and insteading of giving the club credit, the lot of you will still moan about how stupid we were to let him go, and how we are mugs for paying top money to have him back, or he'll sign for another club and Woodward will get stick for standing by and watching another top player join a rival. My point is, the club can't win with some of you. My opinion is that, if we are 3rd/4th at the end of the season and have managed to win the FA cup and we offer the right money to Juve and Pogba, we have a very good chance of signing him, as far as the PL is concerned, we can comfortably outbid anyone. Ed Woodward believes that United should be signing top level players with regularity, this is unlike the policy pursued under Gill and Ferguson. If a top player became available these days, I'll fancy our chances because we have a man in charge who is willing to go that extra mile to bring top plyers to Old trafford.

Gannicus

I subscribe to the theory that all we really need right now is one INCREDIBLE midfielder.

If we can add Paul Pogba suddenly things fall into place fantastically. Please allow me to elaborate.

The De Gea situation is a concern, but it is what it is and for the moment we have him for another 18 months.

The back line isn't nearly as bad as the British media have made it out to be. If the budget allows for the procurement of Hummels, great, but our back is improving all the time although I am increasingly concerned about the ability of Rafael to EVER appear in 6 matches straight.

Carrick should be good enough for another season after this season. I like what I see in Blind. I am a huge fan of Herrera but even if I overrate his offensive abilities I do believe he is underrated in his ability to defend. He's no Roy Keane, but he can do a job. I have made my peace with Fellaini, who can fill in.

We know about the forward situation.

Where I'm going with my thinking (such as it is) is this:

De Gea
Rafael and Shaw at fullback
Any two of Smalling, Jones and Rojo at CB
Any two of Carrick, Blind, Herrera and Fellaini in the 2 of 4231
Di Maria under all circumstances in the 3
Rooney in either the 3 or the 1
Mata somewhere in the 3

Paul Pogba in the 3

If we add Paul Pogba -- and it will likely take 80m to pry him loose from Juve and perhaps 250k/week to satisfy his material needs -- we're suddenly insane.

I don't think Bale is realistic so I won't even go full muppet. What I'm saying is that we have very good depth but we need one other player of the very highest offensive quality who's got the athleticism and charisma (a quality which our squad is sorely lacking IMHO) and maybe even audacity to create and score, and perhaps most importantly, take some of the defensive attention away from Di Maria, who gets double marked all the time.

De Gea
Rafael Smalling Rojo Shaw
Carrick Blind
Mata Pogba Di Maria
Rooney

...would be absolutely mind-boggling. The raises questions about Falcao (we need to cut him loose), RvP (rotate him with Rooney), Herrera (rotate him with Carrick and Blind) and whether Smalling and Rojo really are good enough to sustain a prem run, and whether we really can rely on Rafael to play 30 matches in a single season.

Rather than spending 30m on Coleman, wasting time on a wild goose chase for Bale, waiting for Strootman to recover from his knee problems, and dicking around for whoever, let's go in with an epic bid for Paul Pogba right now. Not this summer, as we might find ourselves stuck in Europa League bullshit...right now.

jem

De Gea
Rafael Smalling Rojo Shaw
Carrick Blind
Mata Pogba Di Maria
Rooney
I'd love to see Pogba on United, but that backline isn't very reassuring, particularly when you consider how injury prone Smalling and Rafael are (and Jones, for that matter.) I really think we need to buy top-notch CB, one who is comfortable on the ball, and hopefully not so injury prone.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
His agent is a cretin (any coincidence that he mentions Ibrahimovic, a client, alongside Messi and Ronaldo?) As talented as Pogba is, I do worry about a player whose agent so openly discusses his leaving the team for which the player currently plays.
Exactly. Always after his next move and next cut of the deal.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
His agent is a cretin (any coincidence that he mentions Ibrahimovic, a client, alongside Messi and Ronaldo?) As talented as Pogba is, I do worry about a player whose agent so openly discusses his leaving the team for which the player currently plays.
From our POV he really is but from Pogba's, he must be a dream agent.

NoLogo

Raiola has always been this way and he is probably a nightmare for every club to deal with especially if you consider the amount of money he makes every time a player moves or signs a new contract. Getting a Raiola client into the club often seems more trouble than it's worth.

Considering Pogba I'm almost certain he is going to move to Real next and I wouldn't be surprised if the transfer sum will match or even surpass what they payed for Ronaldo and Bale.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Raiola has always been this way and he is probably a nightmare for every club to deal with especially if you consider the amount of money he makes every time a player moves or signs a new contract. Getting a Raiola client into the club often seems more trouble than it's worth.

Considering Pogba I'm almost certain he is going to move to Real next and I wouldn't be surprised if the transfer sum will match or even surpass what they payed for Ronaldo and Bale.
Reminds me of when Kucharski was whoring Lewandowski left, right and centre telling everyone in Polish press that Borussia are way too small a team for Lewandowski who needs a move to get a club he deserves, for two years running. Basically ever since he started playing well for Borussia they both thought he deserved more than Borussia. The way they undermined Borussia makes me wonder why their fans never turned their back on him, he's still respected there while Gotze seems hated. @Sphaero could you enlighten me on the subject?

soapythecat

I very much doubt we would be in for him - we would look like the biggest clowns in world football if we were to let a player go then form out a potentially world record fee to bring him back within two years.
Plus, his agent is the biggest cnut out there and will be angling for a move within 12 months.
Pogba has been brilliant at Juve and probably deserves his status in world standings, however, he could be more trouble than he's worth...especially at the price he will cost.

buckooo1978

I very much doubt we would be in for him - we would look like the biggest clowns in world football if we were to let a player go then form out a potentially world record fee to bring him back within two years.
Plus, his agent is the biggest cnut out there and will be angling for a move within 12 months.
Pogba has been brilliant at Juve and probably deserves his status in world standings, however, he could be more trouble than he's worth...especially at the price he will cost.
Matic?

To not be in for a player of his ability and potential would be making the same mistake twice

Or we could just bury out head in the sand

soapythecat

Matic?

To not be in for a player of his ability and potential would be making the same mistake twice

Or we could just bury out head in the sand
Matic was hardly a big fee these days. To pay what it would cost to bring PP back would be huge...huge.
Bury head in the sand? Are there not other brilliant footballers out there? Ones that don't come with a circus of an agent?

RedorDead21

Matic was hardly a big fee these days. To pay what it would cost to bring PP back would be huge...huge.
Bury head in the sand? Are there not other brilliant footballers out there? Ones that don't come with a circus of an agent?
Who you thinking at his age represents a better investment? He will have a huge sell on fee as well in all porbability unlike a 25 year old.

devil in me

If there's any chance that we could sign him, we should be all out for the lad. Yes, we are going ot look a bit stupid having let him go for nothing only to pay 60million or whatever ot os a few years later, but we have to take that on the chin. Pogba is already brilliant and is going to be a beast in a few years. He would be a brilliant signing for us. However, saying all that I can see him at Madrid, unfortunately.

soapythecat

Who you thinking at his age represents a better investment? He will have a huge sell on fee as well in all porbability unlike a 25 year old.
What the hell has sell on value and age got to do with it? Why do we have to buy a player just to sell him on?
If you boys want the Pogba circus then well done, but I don't think he would be worth it for the reason I stated.

RedorDead21

Zidane has a case for being in the top 3 best ever players to have lived, he also had a ballon'dor to his name before he moved to Madrid.

As good as Pogba is, he is not close to the level Zizou was.
Did I read Zidane was 29 when he arrived at Madrid or am I just making that up?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
My thoughts exactly.

Red_toad

If any player runs down their contract, there is no sell on fee. So heavily investing in any player is always a risk...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Would it possible to have two Pogba threads; one in which people can bemoan us not having him and all of the scenarios they believe led to that etc. and one where only Pogba now and onward is permitted?

It's tedious wading through this thread for actual info on Pogba's current play and development.

RedorDead21

What the hell has sell on value and age got to do with it? Why do we have to buy a player just to sell him on?
If you boys want the Pogba circus then well done, but I don't think he would be worth it for the reason I stated.
Jesus this is Manchester United where some of our greatest players have been nothing but a circus from George Best to Beckham to Cantona.......Its a football club not a church. And the lad left because he wouldnt wait and that shows ambition and desire to not waste a moment. He was proved right in his choice. We'd either be playing him upfront on letting him chat to herrera on the bench whist fellaini ambles around. Whos the circus, him or us!

soapythecat

Jesus this is Manchester United where some of our greatest players have been nothing but a circus from George Best to Beckham to Cantona.......Its a football club not a church. And the lad left because he wouldnt wait and that shows ambition and desire to not waste a moment. He was proved right in his choice. We'd either be playing him upfront on letting him chat to herrera on the bench whist fellaini ambles around. Whos the circus, him or us!
His agent is the circus and we are the clowns for giving him the opportunity to leave for nothing in the first place.
I'm not disputing he is a talent but considering we would have to pay around 80m to get him, only to be looking over our shoulders after 12 months whilst his agent is touting him all around the place - it's not good and do you need it at the club? There are other players and we could buy 2 of them for that money. They may not be as prolific as him but PP may not settle in the PL, he may well be the best player in the world here, we won't know, but it's a huge gamble on a player we deemed not good enough a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.