Paul Scholes resigns as Oldham manager | Ole invites him to Carrington

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He spent enough time pronouncing on and having a pop at our recent Managers. Time for him to put his ability where his trap is.

Didn't work out so well for Neville. Not likely to work out much better for him, I think.
We all crapped on Mourinho as well. Doesn't mean we can manage United. You can have an opinion about something without being able to do it.

youngrell

Looked like a new bloke in his presser and interviews, much more of a spring in his step than when he's a pundit.

If he can mantain a level of enthusiasm I think he can do well.

AndyMUFC

One of my all time favourite players so pleased he's got the chance. Might have to go and watch Oldham now and again while he's in charge. Only round t'corner!

Agree that he doesn't come across like the most obvious manager in the world but it is a very, very different level to Neville at Valencia for example. His more down to earth personality might suit the lower leagues. You just never know.

Bojan11

Can’t believe some people here. Hope he does well.

I don’t care what he said on TV. Like everyone he has said things I agree with and things I didn’t agree with.

Bwuk

Hope he does well but have a feeling he’s probably the sort of guy who’ll get frustrated that players don’t find things as easy as he does.

Denis79

Hope he does well but have a feeling he’s probably the sort of guy who’ll get frustrated that players don’t find things as easy as he does.
If you can't break through on one side just switch flanks with a floating cross lads!

SAFMUTD

I don't understand why famous players accept this kind of jobs, I know they have not proved anything yet and can't target a top tier job, but accepting this kind of jobs is clearly a lose-lose situation.

In the best of cases he does well and ends up winning the league most will say "meh is just the football league two" and in the worst case he ends up sack his carreer will be almost done "He couldn't even do the job at a football league two club, he has no chance in the premier league".

In addition to mention that it would be really hard to coach and implement a proper attractive style with that level of players.

I think this is a clear mistake, he should had waited to get a job at the first league level or start like Carrick as an assitant.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Fulfilling a dream of his, maybe? I'd say he couldn't turn down the opportunity to manage his childhood favourite club.

Good luck to him. Hope he smashes it!

NM

I don't understand why famous players accept this kind of jobs, I know they have not proved anything yet and can't target a top tier job, but accepting this kind of jobs is clearly a lose-lose situation.

In the best of cases he does well and ends up winning the league most will say "meh is just the football league two" and in the worst case he ends up sack his carreer will be almost done "He couldn't even do the job at a football league two club, he has no chance in the premier league".

In addition to mention that it would be really hard to coach and implement a proper attractive style with that level of players.

I think this is a clear mistake, he should had waited to get a job at the first league level or start like Carrick as an assitant.
He's an Oldham fan, of course he was going to take the job. I'd advise you read up on Scholes

SAFMUTD

He's an Oldham fan, of course he was going to take the job. I'd advise you read up on Scholes
Didn’t knew that, it makes sense from a romantic point of view now that you mention it.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
If he can keep the defensive side of things organised and pretty tight either on his own or with a decent assistant helping, then he shouldn't have trouble with coaching midfield and attack.

Might just come down to if the Oldham squad is any good though? They might not be good enough to even play the style of football he wants to see. Good luck to him.

baskinginthesun

I understand he is an Oldham fan but, would he have accepted any other lower league team as his first management position.

However, glad to see he has dropped down the leagues a bit to learn and find his management style. Would hate to see him fail at a top club and completely ruin his managerial career. Good luck to him. Hope he performs well.

Milo2035

Top midfielders are top managers. He will be a new Zidane/Pep. You heard it here first.

dogwithabone

No reason why it can’t work. Campbell has turned around Macclesfields fortunes and they looked doomed before he arrived. Oldham are safe and it’s a free hit for Scholes until end of season, basically a four month training session with the luxury of no pressure fixtures.

As he says United will help him out and I think he will do well. There must be a natural impatience within someone like him to get to the next level and it’s whether he will have the drive to stick with it beyond his initial 18 months if promotion isn’t achieved. Good to see the likes of these two learning the ropes in L2 though.

Needham

Scholes can do for Oldham what whatisname did for that club.

pascell

I hope he does really well and exceeds expectations. It doesn't really bother me what he's said in the past about United, he was a paid pundit so was always going to say things that get people talking about it.

Be interesting who he gets in on loan from United.

crossy1686

career ending
Zidane used to school his Real players in training went ok for him ;)
A bit different than Scholes megging everyone and scoring from the half way line at Oldham. Think it was Frank De Boer who was banging in free kicks and volly's at Palace, much to the annoyance of the players as he was still miles better than all of them, even at 45 or whatever he is.

Lj82

Didn’t knew that, it makes sense from a romantic point of view now that you mention it.
Even when he was playing for UTD, he used to watch Oldham games live at their stadium.
Definitely emotional for him.

Beaucoup

He looks like a league 2 manager, fair play for showing some balls

Tiber

Oldham is owned by a Moroccan football agent? Don't even League two teams have local ownership these days? Crazy

Red00012

I expect Gary Neville Mark 2 , I can see players falling asleep listening to him, he doesn’t come across very excitable in punditry anyway.

Needham

Oldham is owned by a Moroccan football agent? Don't even League two teams have local ownership these days? Crazy
It is. And the guy has the smile of a crocodile caught red handed. Wonder if Scholesy's been inspired by Ole's infectious success.

iHicksy

Watching him being told to smile on TV this morning was cringe inducing. I'll admit I don't like having to do "fake" smiles for photos but jeez Scholesy!

Castia

United legend who was unplayable on his day.

That being said I’ve hated his punditry, he’s so dry and joyless all he does is moan.

Well he’s opened himself up for criticism now let’s see how he does (my guess is not very well)