Paul Scholes resigns as Oldham manager | Ole invites him to Carrington

Cardozo

He had dreams of playing for Oldham before he retired if I remember rightly.

I don’t think he really has ambitions to manage a premier league team. I think Oldham was the job he wanted or a coach at United.

I don’t imagine they’ll become world beaters any time soon but hopefully he gets some football manager 2008 like loan players to give them a boost back to league 1 / championship.

Oldham were a top tier side in the very early 90’s, shame to have seen them decline over the years.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Watched him play Futsal when he came here, he couldn't keep up with the pace of a five a side game. If he still has any talent left, I'd reckon it would be in his brain rather than his feet, which is what Oldham are hoping for.
Absolutely, his lack of conditioning and age will catch up with him even in the lower leagues despite being by far the best footballer there.

By the way I meant no disrespect, I was quoting the man himself from a conversation with Gary Nev in that Salford City doc the other year :lol::

"GN: What do you think about playing for Salford against Ashton United in the FA Cup? One word answer.

PS: Shambles.

GN: Go on. One game! I'll play if you play.

PS: I'm fat as feck. What would it achieve?

GN: We'll get 2000 in the crowd. It would create a bit of excitement. And everyone would see you play! Do you fancy it?"

Last edited:

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Best of luck to our very own Ginger Ninja.

Not sure what most people expect him to achieve but I think he knows the context of the club he’s joining and won’t have impossible or unattainable ambitions. I guess he’s going there to have fun, while making sure they don’t drop further below. If he can keep them competitive in League 2 and maybe achieve promotion to League 1 in a few years, I’m sure he and the owners will be satisfied. The ambition should simply be to make sure the club is in position competing for promotion every season.

Also, different managers have different styles. He may not be the most vocal or charismatic guy in the dressing room but his world class experience as a former player will command respect from the squad at this level.

crossy1686

career ending
Watched him play Futsal when he came here, he couldn't keep up with the pace of a five a side game. If he still has any talent left, I'd reckon it would be in his brain rather than his feet, which is what Oldham are hoping for.
Scholes can still hit you on the back of the head from 50 yards, don't worry about it.

Kapardin

:lol: With the ball you nutter!

Plus, you think Scholes can play in +30 degree heat, look at him! He's never seen the sun!
Relax, I was kidding.:lol:

Actually it was indoors and air-conditioned. To be honest, Giggs looked in great shape compared to him. But it was fun watching them kick about anyway.

Tiber

At least it will earn them a few quid. Jose will be in the away end leading the singing every week

playtowin

I think there is a good chance that Scholes will do a decent job there. He clearly knows what he is up against, and has the belief to go in there and do what so many other managers have struggled to do, as he alluded to in his press conference.

Scholes has a steel about him and I expect to see his team develop into a tough team to play against. At the same time i expect to see them have a proper go, they have nothing to lose this season.

Will be interesting to see how they reshape the squad in the summer, they had a huge shakeup the summer Lee Clark went there and it went up in smoke.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Just checked up on how he's doing. A win a draw and a loss in his first 3, the definitive mixed bag.

All 3 at home, and against teams below them in the table so he might've hoped for better. Tricky looking trip to Bury at the weekend who have the best home record in the division.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Prior to their relegation last season, Oldham had the longest League One stay out of all the sides in the division. They are therefore not really used to being in League Two and their managers will be expected to win them promotion.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Prior to their relegation last season, Oldham had the longest League One stay out of all the sides in the division. They are therefore not really used to being in League Two and their managers will be expected to win them promotion.
Yes, things would appear to point that way with regards their expectations. They sacked the previous manager after a heavy defeat that left them in mid-table and 7 points off the playoffs. If that wasn't good enough they were likely looking at playoffs as a minimum.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Winning 1-0 at half time away to Bury, who are 2nd in the league.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Lost 2-0 league leaders Lincoln tonight, not helped by playing over half the game with 10 men.

No Ole bounce for Scholesey, 1 win (his first game) in 7 attempts. 6 points on the board. For a team who sacked a manager for being mid-table, relegation form from his replacement isn't the best of starts.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anyone know what sort of style he’s trying to play

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He never struck me a manager to be honest.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Seven matches into his managerial career after taking over a midtable Oldham side.
I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Gone

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Resigned.

Oh dear.

As much as I love Scholesy, that kind of serves him right for all the nonsense he spoke on BT about some of the players.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Waiting for Mourinho to stick the boot in. Richard "cnut" Keys is bound to bring it up. :lol:

AaronRedDevil

Honestly. He's a legend obviously. But feck him, he deserves it for all the non stop sh*ttalking. Kept his mouth shut and head down his whole career, now he won't shut up:lol:

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

Classical Mechanic

The owner is supposed to interfere a lot, Scholes said when he took the job that he wasn't expecting interference after the interview process. My guess is that's what he is alluding to.