Paulo Dybala

Patrick08

I don't understand you. What having Jones and Young got to do with getting Dybala?
The money, Money needs to be invested in right areas. We already need 5 players in other positions spending 100 m on a player who won't even fix the problems is insanity.

We don't have owners who will spend any of the money from their own pockets.

The Nani

To be fair Di Maria was at the same age when we signed as Dybala is right now.
There are a host of issues we could discuss re Di Maria, but the long and short of it is he wanted another club. The second we knew he didn’t really fancy us, we should’ve pulled the plug on the move.

And I’ll be the first to say if Dybala doesn’t really fancy us, we should look elsewhere.

He's had 2 good seasons, his first season and last season. He was poor in his second in addition to the current one
He was playing through a groin injury or somesuch in his second season as I recall.

Even so, involved in 23 goals in a defensive team. Which is another point. It’s not as if Juve have been the greatest attacking side. They were always pragmatic, but Allegri has gone full coward mode ala Jose.

Kostov

Or he's the type of player who fits other sides better than he would do us. If we buy Dybala he'd automatically become the focus of our attack, the one all hopes will rest on, can he handle that? Remains to be seen. If he were to go to a Liverpool though is he suddenly going to take over the main man mental from Salah or Mane? Doubtful, he'd be more of a compliment to those players and thus a lot less pressure

He's a luxury player rather than one to build your team around and we need players we can build around
Can he handle that? He was the main attacker at Juventus just a year ago and much better than anything we can put up in attack in the moment. I think he can handle a team and "pressure" who tolerates shit like Lingard and even Rashford, Lukaku and Martial. A team that struggles to play in the Champions League. As long as the price is reasonable I think we should be in for him. Beggers can't be choosers and all that.

Or it could be the type of big name transfer we get wet over but ends up disappointing as he doesn't fit in/is going through a tough patch/has attitude or fitness issues
Of course we should evaluate all those factors as well, even though I don't trust the club to do it properly.

Yeh. He's hard worker while skillful also. What's wrong with some people here.
As long as the price and wage are right, we should be all over him.
Exactly so.
People have short memories by the looks of it.

Loublaze

ATLien
There are a host of issues we could discuss re Di Maria, but the long and short of it is he wanted another club. The second we knew he didn’t really fancy us, we should’ve pulled the plug on the move.

And I’ll be the first to say if Dybala doesn’t really fancy us, we should look elsewhere.

He was playing through a groin injury or somesuch in his second season as I recall.

Even so, involved in 23 goals in a defensive team. Which is another point. It’s not as if Juve have been the greatest attacking side. They were always pragmatic, but Allegri has gone full coward mode ala Jose.
Has that been used as an excuse for any United forward under Jose? Lukaku under Jose for the most part has still outperformed Dybala for two seasons straight for instance

The Nani

Has that been used as an excuse for any United forward under Jose? Lukaku under Jose for the most part has still outperformed Dybala for two seasons straight for instance
That’s a nonsense argument.

Never mind the fact that Lukaku is fat, can barely run for ten minutes these days and never stops talking about playing in Serie A.

Loublaze

ATLien
That’s a nonsense argument.

Never mind the fact that Lukaku is fat, can barely run for ten minutes these days and never stops talking about playing in Serie A.
Is that a serious well thought response or did you let your 10 year old cousin reply? Lukaku scored 27 in his first season for United and 15 this season. He has outperformed Dybala but you'll make every excuse in the world for the Argentinian

In Rainbows

Lukaku isn't involved in the buildup like Dybala is. That's not to say Dybala is some huge source of creativity, but it is compared to Lukaku. Lukaku is a donkey in regards to overall ability and so everyone is likely to be more involved in the buildup compared to him.

However, I do believe that Lukaku was alright in that department last season. This season was him coming back down to earth in the touch department. Both he and Dybala have stunk it up this season.

Dybala from what I have read in the previous years is that he was a bit like Pogba. He was divisive because everyone could see how talented he was, and so they expected him to be this star who wins games on his own. The side was dysfunctional and the creative burden fell on him, and so some fans found him frustratingly inconsistent despite the numbers. Some blamed him as just being overhyped. Others felt that he was still the best player in the side, and his teammates being more workhorses caused him to not bring the best out of him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The money, Money needs to be invested in right areas. We already need 5 players in other positions spending 100 m on a player who won't even fix the problems is insanity.

We don't have owners who will spend any of the money from their own pockets.
Oh, agreed. I did say that if the price is right/reasonable. He's better than all our attackers. Although he may not fix all our problems, but he could be part of the solution.

The Nani

Is that a serious well thought response or did you let your 10 year old cousin reply? Lukaku scored 27 in his first season for United and 15 this season. He has outperformed Dybala but you'll make every excuse in the world for the Argentinian
It’s a nonsense argument because circumstances have dictated that Dybala play on the wing for a vast majority of this season which is the whole reason I created this thread in the first place. He would’ve been unattainable in seasons prior. Such is his talent.

And he scored 25 goals last season. So considering the fact that he is a vastly superior footballer to Lukaku, there is no way you can say Lukaku outperformed him.

And Lukaku is fatter, mouthier and shitter than ever. That’s not 10 year old stuff. That’s just reality.

Loublaze

ATLien
It’s a nonsense argument because circumstances have dictated that Dybala play on the wing for a vast majority of this season which is the whole reason I created this thread in the first place. He would’ve been unattainable in seasons prior. Such is his talent.

And he scored 25 goals last season. So considering the fact that he is a vastly superior footballer to Lukaku, there is no way you can say Lukaku outperformed him.

And Lukaku is fatter, mouthier and shitter than ever. That’s not 10 year old stuff. That’s just reality.
That is ten year old stuff. If you think otherwise then it says something about you. Lukaku has individually outperformed him going back to his last season at Everton. Any excuse for the overhyped and overrated Dybala doesn't negate that. Dybala has never won player of the year in Italy and can't get into this Juventus side and his NT as well while Lukaku is Belgiums record goalscorer in their golden generation. Keep riding the hype train though, you have every right to ignore the facts

The Nani

That is ten year old stuff. If you think otherwise then it says something about you. Lukaku has individually outperformed him going back to his last season at Everton. Any excuse for the overhyped and overrated Dybala doesn't negate that. Dybala has never won player of the year in Italy and can't get into this Juventus side and his NT as well while Lukaku is Belgiums record goalscorer in their golden generation. Keep riding the hype train though, you have every right to ignore the facts
Ignore what facts?

That Dybala is competing with Messi at international level while Lukaku is competing with Benteke?

How much playing time do you reckon Lukaku would even get if his competition at club and international level were Messi and Ronaldo?

You’re calling me childish yet your arguments are rife with ad hominem and either/or thinking.

Loublaze

ATLien
Ignore what facts?

That Dybala is competing with Messi at international level while Lukaku is competing with Benteke?

How much playing time do you reckon Lukaku would even get if his competition at club and international level were Messi and Ronaldo?

You’re calling me childish yet your arguments are rife with ad hominem and either/or thinking.
1. That has to be the dumbest thing i've read today because Benteke can't even get into the Belgium NT. The team is stacked and Lukaku is first choice. Dybala just recently scored his first and only senior goal for Argentina at age 25 after 18 attempts!

2. Thats a shit excuse, if Dybala was as good as you think he'd at least be top foil for Ronaldo and Messi but he clearly isn't. Benzema was at Real, why can't Dybala do the same at Juventus? A 32 year old is doing a better job at that

3. You are childish, one of the worst posters on this forum. They must be handing out promotions like candy these days

Last edited:

The Nani

1. That has to be the dumbest thing i've read today because Benteke can't even get into the Belgium NT. The team is stacked and Lukaku is first choice. Dybala just recently scored his first senior goal for Argentina at age 25 after 18 attempts!

2. Thats a shit excuse, if Dybala was as good as you think he'd at least be top foil for Ronaldo and Messi but he clearly isn't. Benzema was at Real, why can't Dybala do the same at Juventus? A 32 year old is doing a better job at that

3. You are childish, one of the worst posters on this forum. They must be handing out promotions like candy these days
1. Now who sounds childish? Benteke has been Lukaku’s main competition at international level throughout the years yet you can’t even address the point I was making because you’re just too fecking wrong.

2. Nonsense, non sequitur logic yet again. Dybala is of little use while Allegri is championing Moyes v. Fulham tactics. Again, you’re just so wrong you can’t even answer my question.

3. If you can’t attack the argument, attack the opponent. Yet again. I suppose a bit of logic might have appreciated by my promoters.

Bore off.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can he handle that? He was the main attacker at Juventus just a year ago and much better than anything we can put up in attack in the moment. I think he can handle a team and "pressure" who tolerates shit like Lingard and even Rashford, Lukaku and Martial. A team that struggles to play in the Champions League. As long as the price is reasonable I think we should be in for him. Beggers can't be choosers and all that.
Surely it's debatable that he shared responsibility with Higuain last season? Plus the PL is a much tougher league than Serie A

I just think anyone who's so pro this signing needs to step back and take a look at 1- our record with Argentines (Veron, Heinze, Tevez, Di Maria) and 2- our recent record with superstar names (Di Maria (again), Falcao, Pogba) and ask themselves is Dybala a better fit for our attack as a number 10/false number 9 than Sancho (for example) on the RW?

Kostov

Surely it's debatable that he shared responsibility with Higuain last season? Plus the PL is a much tougher league than Serie A

I just think anyone who's so pro this signing needs to step back and take a look at 1- our record with Argentines (Veron, Heinze, Tevez, Di Maria) and 2- our recent record with superstar names (Di Maria (again), Falcao, Pogba) and ask themselves is Dybala a better fit for our attack as a number 10/false number 9 than Sancho (for example) on the RW?
It is a much tougher league, but if I remember correctly Dybala was very good against us at Old Trafford and I don't think it will be a problem.

And what is that part about Argentinians and United? Total nonsense imo. Tevez was great here and Heinze was very good player for us as well. Yeah Di Maria was a cnut but a very good player. I'm also not saying we go blindly for Dybala, but if he wants to come and contribute (not treat us a like a stop gap ala Di Maria) then is no brainer, when we are an Europa league team. Of course if the money involved is reasonable (example if we can get him for 80-90m euros.)

And nowhere have I said that he would be a better fit for Sancho, but does he want to join? Can we make it happen? I don't think so.

gr3yham3

Won't be surprised if we stick to a diamond next season and this is our formation:

--DDG--
Meunier--Lindelof--De Ligt/Toby--Shaw

--Godfrey--
--Mctominay--Pogba--
--Fernandes--

--Dybala--Rashford--
Can see Godfrey being a great possibliity to be a top DM like how Rice is doing now.

Devil may care

His first season for Juve was 2015/16, that's when he scored 19. His second season was poor because he was expected to build on the first and he was first to admit his struggles
His first season he got 23 in total, his second season he got 19 in total which was why it was a bit disappointing as his numbers regressed slightly, however he got 26 the following season and then got shunted when Juve became Ronaldo FC. Dybala would be a big upgrade on Lingard and Mata at the tip of the diamond for us and is a better goal scorer than we have bar Lukaku who is such a poor footballer it often negates things.

charlenefan

It is a much tougher league, but if I remember correctly Dybala was very good against us at Old Trafford and I don't think it will be a problem.

And what is that part about Argentinians and United? Total nonsense imo. Tevez was great here and Heinze was very good player for us as well. Yeah Di Maria was a cnut but a very good player. I'm also not saying we go blindly for Dybala, but if he wants to come and contribute (not treat us a like a stop gap ala Di Maria) then is no brainer, when we are an Europa league team. Of course if the money involved is reasonable (example if we can get him for 80-90m euros.)

And nowhere have I said that he would be a better fit for Sancho, but does he want to join? Can we make it happen? I don't think so.
It's not nonsense, any player who was at the club for only 2 years cant be called a success

Infra-red

Juve fan here.

He has the talent only few players in the world might have. At his best he is easily top 10 player in the world.

He has been a number 9 in every club he has played until he got here and Allegri started to play him with each season further and further away from goal, because of our poor midfield, he drops back and helps the build up more than getting ball at further end to convert them. It's like playing Aguero as a midfield and call him overrated because he can't operates like before.

At his first season Max took him one step away from goal and played him in SS position. The kid did an amazing job and became our best goal scorer and best player of the year for us with scoring around 25 goals despite us losing Pirlo, Vidal and Marchisio being injured all season.

In his second season the lack of creative MF and us selling the our only creative player to Manchester United , Allegri took this guy one more step away from goal to compensate the lack of creativeness. He became a number 10 in 4231 formation in that season and again he absolutely dominated teams with scoring goals and creating for fun. We went all the way and were 45 minutes away from winning a treble with this guy being the core of the team.

The next season after he continued his great form and scored about 15 goals in 13 games at the beginning of the season until got injured for 3 months and when he came back he was rusty but manged to win us the Scudeto with his last minutes Goals And assists against teams like Lazio, Inter and...

Finally this season started, we brought the best player in the world, this season was the one Allegri completely rekt everything with his systems selection of his players. First of all he ditched 4231 while we have Ronaldo, Costa, Bernardeschi , Cuadrado and Cancelo as wingers an played some stupid formations that let Dybala plays in some sort of position between the right fullback and CM. He made Dybala a midfielder this time and expected him to deliver once again. But this boy isn't a robot his form dropped massively and got benched or played in midfield all season long. The only time Allegri played him as a number 9 this season was against Manchester and in both game he was fantastic, but he got benched the next game after Mandzukic came back from injury and never played there again.

His drop of form is completely on the coach. He is the guy i won't even like to see news about his departure. I'm sure with the new coach coming in he wouldn't let this gem to be sold and make him flourish again.
Good enough for me.

Get him in and stick him at the tip of the diamond.

In Rainbows

It's not nonsense, any player who was at the club for only 2 years cant be called a success
It's nonsense because you're generalizing someone's intentions based on their nationality.

And I think Pogba has been a success in the fact that he's been one of our best players since he signed. People don't like him because they believe he should be doing better, not that he isn't one of our best players. If Dybala follows the same trajectory, he will be a success because he will be one of our best players regardless of whether or not people think he should be doing better.

I personally would prefer Sancho, but we can still fit in Sancho with Dybala. It's impossible to fit Sancho, Dybala, and Felix should a muppet's cocaine dream be realized. Won't happen though so it's more of a case of Dybala vs Felix, rather than Dybala vs Sancho.

charlenefan

It's nonsense because you're generalizing someone's intentions based on their nationality.

And I think Pogba has been a success in the fact that he's been one of our best players since he signed. People don't like him because they believe he should be doing better, not that he isn't one of our best players. If Dybala follows the same trajectory, he will be a success because he will be one of our best players regardless of whether or not people think he should be doing better.

I personally would prefer Sancho, but we can still fit in Sancho with Dybala. It's impossible to fit Sancho, Dybala, and Felix should a muppet's cocaine dream be realized. Won't happen though so it's more of a case of Dybala vs Felix, rather than Dybala vs Sancho.
Well the facts speak for themselves do they not? Veron, Heinze, Tevez, Di Maria - all Argentines, none lasted longer than 2 seasons at the club. Whether it was poor recruiting or a common character trait among the players we dont have a good record with Argentines that is a fact

izec

Find it funny that people think Argentinians or South Americans cant succeed here. The nationality shouldnt play a role. To dismiss the player because he is Argentinian is stupid. Superstitious nonsense

If the player fits every criteria the manager and the club want, who cares if he is from Argentina, Uruguay or Bolivia? Sign the fecker up

charlenefan

Find it funny that people think Argentinians or South Americans cant succeed here. The nationality shouldnt play a role. To dismiss the player because he is Argentinian is stupid. Superstitious nonsense
Out of interest at what point would you concede it not to be superstitious nonsense? I mean if we sign Dybala and he's awful and leaves after 2 years presumably given your stance you'd have no issues signing another Argentine after that? Would there ever be a number before you concede signing a player from a certain nationality is something we should look to avoid? Genuinely curious

izec

Out of interest at what point would you concede it not to be superstitious nonsense? I mean if we sign Dybala and he's awful and leaves after 2 years presumably given your stance you'd have no issues signing another Argentine after that? Would there ever be a number before you concede signing a player from a certain nationality is something we should look to avoid? Genuinely curious
No, i would sign the 101st player from Argentina even if 99/100 failed as long as they fit the bill for what we are looking for on and off the pitch. Romero has done absolutely superb on and off the pitch for the role we bought him for. It is not like we have signed 100 and only one has worked out so far, then i could see the frustration. I dont see the issue personally at United currently. That would go the same for any nationality. (To complete for any religion, race, skin colour or whatever).

As long as we dont buy a player out of desperation or because of his name, and have an actual plan on how to use him or build the team around him and the player wants to play for us.

Icardi for example, even if he would be a striker the club and manager liked on the pitch, i am 100% certain we wouldnt buy him because of his off the pitch issues. City struck gold with Aguero on and off the pitch and we would too if we bought him and played him as a striker. Dybala is similar for me. If we want to play him up top and have a plan for him, and the player wants to really join, he has all the talent to succeed for a top club and off the pitch he has no issues. He is also not an idiot like Tevez or Rojo and a walking red card. You can see some players are trouble and others arent. Nobody denies that every nation has some complicated characters and Argentinians/South Americans maybe more than others at times, but they also have huge talent. The thing is to get as much talent and less potential trouble. It is for the club to find that out if a player is suited or not.

charlenefan

So Ibrahimovic was not a success here? I depends on the perspective. Tevez was a very important cog in the 2008 CL winning team, how it ended is a different story.
Yeah you've got me on Ibra :(

Halal Jalal

Just read about a dozen pages of Dybala discussion on Juventus forum and while majority of posters want him to stay and see how he'd do under new manager (Allegri is rumoured to leave for PSG), supposedly the "insider" info from training centre is that Dybala's mental drive has been gradually fading away and Juve want to sell while the value remains high, regardless whether a new manager comes in or not. If that's the case, we could have another hugely expensive flop on our hands! In my opinion the people in charge of our transfer should discuss this with Paul Pogba, he knows Dybala very well and should decide whether he'd like to play with him again or not.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Just read about a dozen pages of Dybala discussion on Juventus forum and while majority of posters want him to stay and see how he'd do under new manager (Allegri is rumoured to leave for PSG), supposedly the "insider" info from training centre is that Dybala's mental drive has been gradually fading away and Juve want to sell while the value remains high, regardless whether a new manager comes in or not. If that's the case, we could have another hugely expensive flop on our hands! In my opinion the people in charge of our transfer should discuss this with Paul Pogba, he knows Dybala very well and should decide whether he'd like to play with him again or not.
That's probably mainly because he's been shunted out to the wing to accommodate Ronaldo and has had a public spat with Allegri.

Jib

Dybala signed a contract with Adidas last year and he has a great marketing potential. I think that Ed want him to replace Pogba as the face of his " project "

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Just my gut feeling, and i do rate Dybala. But i think Joao Felix would be a better signing. Think he'll bring everything Dybala does but he looks like he has a really good attitude on the pitch, works hard, could be moulded into whatever we need (CM, LW, ST or CF) and I think he'll go on to be a top player. They'd probably cost around the same too.

Adcuth

For 100m euros he's not. That's likely to be more then half our transfer budget this summer. He's a good technical player but he's not up there with the best, there's a reason he goes missing in the big CL matches and has been benched for a lot of Juve's matches this season.

For £50m, happily, but £80m? Big risk.
Yeah, they signed Ronaldo and couldn't fit him into the tactics. They couldn't shove him out on the wing cause he's better centrally.

Loublaze

ATLien
1. Now who sounds childish? Benteke has been Lukaku’s main competition at international level throughout the years yet you can’t even address the point I was making because you’re just too fecking wrong.

2. Nonsense, non sequitur logic yet again. Dybala is of little use while Allegri is championing Moyes v. Fulham tactics. Again, you’re just so wrong you can’t even answer my question.

3. If you can’t attack the argument, attack the opponent. Yet again. I suppose a bit of logic might have appreciated by my promoters.

Bore off.
Ive attacked every one of your weak arguments and yes, you are childish, that's not an attack it's an acute observation.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Dybala signed a contract with Adidas last year and he has a great marketing potential. I think that Ed want him to replace Pogba as the face of his " project "
Great, another marketing buy. Another highly paid social media goon whose performances will drop off at the first sign of adversity.

izec

That's probably mainly because he's been shunted out to the wing to accommodate Ronaldo and has had a public spat with Allegri.
I agree. For as long as we have a plan for him and think he is the real deal for that plan, i dont see the issue. He has a problem with the manager, not with Juve, the players or the fans. Or past it or injured a lot. Of course buying him and sticking him on the wing/bench will be an issue, he would want out after a year or two. If you give him a platform to perform and a central role and some confidence, he will deliver and not be a troublemaker.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I agree. For as long as we have a plan for him and think he is the real deal for that plan, i dont see the issue. He has a problem with the manager, not with Juve, the players or the fans. Or past it or injured a lot. Of course buying him and sticking him on the wing/bench will be an issue, he would want out after a year or two. If you give him a platform to perform and a central role and some confidence, he will deliver and not be a troublemaker.
It would be bloody refreshing to buy a 25-26(in November) year old who could really make an instant impact to our attack. We also scouted him at Palermo, so I'm pretty sure we know a lot about his profile already. For someone very slight and small, he holds the ball up incredibly well - it would be so good to have that centrally. Add on that he's a corner taker, you've got me sold.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure about him. Seems soft when chips are down. He also doesn't have the typical physique to make it in the EPL (yes I know about KdB, Silva and Hazard).

izec

It would be bloody refreshing to buy a 25-26(in November) year old who could really make an instant impact to our attack. We also scouted him at Palermo, so I'm pretty sure we know a lot about his profile already. For someone very slight and small, he holds the ball up incredibly well - it would be so good to have that centrally. Add on that he's a corner taker, you've got me sold.
What i also like is that he would probably stay around for quite some time. We would have him for his peak years, meaning that it is unlikely he would want to leave for Spain in a couple of years if he turns out to be a top player, because Real and Barca wouldnt be willing to splash that much cash on somebody around 28 or 29, and by that time they will have another top team full of stars anyway with their rebuilding starting now. Now is the time to buy him and get the best out of him to reap the rewards and if Real and Barca dont want him now (because they go for Hazard, Griezmann and whoever else), perfect timing for us if we are keen on him and he wants to play for us as well.

I am always assuming we know how to use him properly and he wants to play for us. Otherwise i dont want any player no matter how talented they are.

RepardReece

Buy him. We need the experience of players like him if we are going to compete next year. Can't just sell big names like Pogba, De Gea, Sanchez and not bring in experienced players, otherwise with a young inexperienced squad we'll be fighting for a top 10 finish. I'd like to see Dybala and Koulibaly / Umtiti come in as big names then under the radar / young players for the other positions - like Arthur for Barcelona, I'd like signings like this for our midfield. But back to Dybala, he's a very talented player that we need in attack and I believe he can be quite creative as well - something we definitely need as only Pogba can do that thus far in this squad.

If he's keen to join us buy him

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What i also like is that he would probably stay around for quite some time. We would have him for his peak years, meaning that it is unlikely he would want to leave for Spain in a couple of years if he turns out to be a top player, because Real and Barca wouldnt be willing to splash that much cash on somebody around 28 or 29, and by that time they will have another top team full of stars anyway with their rebuilding starting now. Now is the time to buy him and get the best out of him to reap the rewards and if Real and Barca dont want him now (because they go for Hazard, Griezmann and whoever else), perfect timing for us if we are keen on him and he wants to play for us as well.

I am always assuming we know how to use him properly and he wants to play for us. Otherwise i dont want any player no matter how talented they are.
Yeah, him plus some hungry young players are exactly the right balance to strike in the market.

Of course, I think he'd suit Ole's style as well, every time I've seen him, I've found him pretty energetic up top.

Zlatattack

If we can replace Lukaku with him I'd be up for it. We could use a creative striker.