Television Peaky Blinders

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Enjoyed that confrontation at the start, was nice and tense even if it was obvious both of them were making it to the final episode. Set up nicely for next week.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There was a lot about that episode that I really didn't like, story line wise.
The Polly-Aidan Gillen scene was really shit. Alfie ripping the piss out of Luca was terrific though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Tommy setting up another trap for Changretta, but then showing up all alone doesn't strike me as logical.

The Alfie scene alone made the episode worth watching though, easily one of my favourite TV characters.

marktan

Just watched episode 4 and 5. The faux-fights I really see as filler in shows where you're 95% sure they're not going to kill of any of the main characters. Michael in the last episode and Tommy in this episode, both a bit pointless but I guess they need to fill the action quota and tbf most shows/films have those hollywood action scenes. I think part of it is that they did the killing of [spoiler you know who] too early in episode 1, him being dead makes it far less likely that any of the other main characters are going to be killed in a season that's not the finale, but I guess their hand was forced a bit with the actor having other commitments. Him being killed around episode 3 would've made things a bit more tense as right now Changretta's come across as a bit of an weak idiot really with him being played around by Polly, Tommy and Alfie.

Alfie's scenes have been really good, you can tell though they're obviously constrained by how much time Tom Hardy's able to give to the series. But still good to have him in it, one thing good about the shorter 6 episodes is that big actors can actually do the series for a couple of months and then do other stuff.

One thing that's interesting me is the whole strike/revolution aspect. I'm not sure how they're going to resolve that plot in the final episode, so I'm guessing it's going to continue into next season? I find that whole storyline quite interesting, because it does tie in obviously to the historical background of the time, and then you have events like the great depression further down the line that they can play with. Curious if some of those events will see the Shelby's struggle financially as money-wise it's always been pretty plain-sailling for them.

Also does anyone get the feeling that Tommy's a bit too OP at the moment? I get that having a strong lead makes things more interesting, but right now he's bullet-proof, had 3 women wanting him in episode 5, is smart and usually a step ahead, makes loads of money, makes deals with the British government, deals in Boxing, Rum and Horses as side ventures, all the whilst you juxtapose Arthur running around as a drunk headcase.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Tommy setting up another trap for Changretta, but then showing up all alone doesn't strike me as logical.
Yeah, I didn't get why they weren't all there to kill them?
While the Inspector Campbell storyline had more grit and substance, this Italian (Sicilian?) one is a bit more fun despite the daftness.

Anyone reckon Ada is next to die? She's very likeable and a badass. Love her scenes but think her croaking would have a shock effect (probably more because of the likeability) and the most obvious that we can lose at the same time.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah, I didn't get why they weren't all there to kill them?
While the Inspector Campbell storyline had more grit and substance, this Italian (Sicilian?) one is a bit more fun despite the daftness.

Anyone reckon Ada is next to die? She's very likeable and a badass. Love her scenes but think her croaking would have a shock effect (probably more because of the likeability) and the most obvious that we can lose at the same time.
I think Linda dying would be quite interesting, especially for Arthur's development or Polly, since she has kinda run her course and is now a rather silly nuisance with her crazyness. I wouldn't really like Ada dying I think she brings a lot to the table by being one of the few with a well rounded character while perhaps having a bit more temperament than Michael.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think Linda dying would be quite interesting, especially for Arthur's development or Polly, since she has kinda run her course and is now a rather silly nuisance with her crazyness. I wouldn't really like Ada dying I think she brings a lot to the table by being one of the few with a well rounded character while perhaps having a bit more temperament than Michael.
True. Everyone else in the family has annoying issues. I like what those issues add to the development but sometimes I just want them to be like they used to be, and Ada is the only one with her head left on it seems.

lsd

The Oracle

The Alfie scene alone made the episode worth watching though, easily one of my favourite TV characters.

I get the feeling this time Alfie really will go against Tommy ,I know it's a stretch considering the history of Aiden Gillan's previous characters but it does look like Mr Gold is loyal to Tommy .

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I get the feeling this time Alfie really will go against Tommy ,I know it's a stretch considering the history of Aiden Gillan's previous characters but it does look like Mr Gold is loyal to Tommy .
After he basically told Changretta to feck off and said that he believes the Italians want to take over his business?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Season 3 only came to Netlfix recently but what a pile of shit it was.

Fecking awful Duchess character, 2 or 3 big time jumps (Did they happen in the previous 2 seasons?) Paddy Considine's Oirish accent.

Tom Hardy coming back near the end helped it a bit.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think the woman pregnant with Tommy's baby will get killed.
Possibly, aye. A lot of focus this season but fairly expendable. Other main candidate for me is Finn - built up a bit since John died but not that important in the grand scheme of things.

spwd

Just started watching this and enjoying it so far, the accents ate a bit :houllier:, im sure Cillian had a welsh accent in the last one I watched :lol:

Adebesi

One thing that's interesting me is the whole strike/revolution aspect. I'm not sure how they're going to resolve that plot in the final episode, so I'm guessing it's going to continue into next season? I find that whole storyline quite interesting, because it does tie in obviously to the historical background of the time, and then you have events like the great depression further down the line that they can play with. Curious if some of those events will see the Shelby's struggle financially as money-wise it's always been pretty plain-sailling for them.
I doubt it really, that line of business is the archetypal recession / depression-proof business. But it could still be an interesting period to cover. I think the bigger problem for organised crime in those kinds of economic environments is it gets harder to play the robin hood / man of the people card when you are getting richer and richer and everyone else is on or below the bread line. It could be that the working class people of Birmingham start to resent and turn against the family if it is seen to be making too much money as the depression bites.

Classical Mechanic

The Polly-Aidan Gillen scene was really shit. Alfie ripping the piss out of Luca was terrific though.
I'm not even sure he is a good actor.

You have to suspend your disbelief for nearly all TV shows otherwise you will just get frustrated.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You have to suspend your disbelief for nearly all TV shows otherwise you will just get frustrated.
True, and I can enjoy the show despite this scene, but it really was terrible writing for the master schemer to just walk blindly into a trap he set up himself without any kind of plan or a backup, especially considering they did the same thing once already with an elaborate setup.

SteveTheRed

True, and I can enjoy the show despite this scene, but it really was terrible writing for the master schemer to just walk blindly into a trap he set up himself without any kind of plan or a backup, especially considering they did the same thing once already with an elaborate setup.
but he did have a plan? bit of a brave one but he had the machine guns under covers and positioned.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
but he did have a plan? bit of a brave one but he had the machine guns under covers and positioned.
Yeah right. His plan was to hope they would arrive by car, after him and instead of waiting for him, and that they would be few enough so that he could take them out by himself. As opposed to counter trap 1.0 where they had like a dozen guys lying in wait.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

Is it not a case that he's trying not to get his family in any more danger? And therefore did it by himself? That or it was a response to the lads slagging him off in the previous episode about not knowing what end of the gun the bullets come out.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm not even sure he is a good actor.
I've become more and more convinced with everything he's in that he's just not very good. He was crap in GoT for the most part and he's been fairly shite in this. But for some reason he's seen as a fairly big name and seems to get a lot of work.

Spark

Pretty dumb show, but I do find it highly enjoyable. S4 much better thus far than S3, but it’s got to the point where I’m convinced they’re making it into a comic book film for the sake of an American audience. Nuance has gone right out of the window and there seems to be a cheesy romantic scene to mark the halfway point of each episode.

Alfie is quality and I hope Arthur gets killed, along with Littlefinger, cos they’re both so annoying on screen.

Good overall, 7/10

Classical Mechanic

I've become more and more convinced with everything he's in that he's just not very good. He was crap in GoT for the most part and he's been fairly shite in this. But for some reason he's seen as a fairly big name and seems to get a lot of work.
He was OK in The Wire. I think he is dining out on that and the profile of GoT. I don’t rate him highly. In this role he brings no charisma whatsoever.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He was OK in The Wire. I think he is dining out on that and the profile of GoT. I don’t rate him highly. In this role he brings no charisma whatsoever.
Aye, he was passable in The Wire...but then it was hard not to be considering the caliber of the show. And even then, I think you'd get very few people who'd see his performance as one of the shows standouts.

Classical Mechanic

Aye, he was passable in The Wire...but then it was hard not to be considering the caliber of the show. And even then, I think you'd get very few people who'd see his performance as one of the shows standouts.
Passable is the word. He didn’t make you question him like he does in GoT or Blinders. Hardly the hallmark of a great actor.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
He was good on the tv show Identity (I think it’s called that, was on for one season years ago).

Eire Red United

Good God lads, what a show, still in shock at that. As for Aidan Gillen, can’t speak for his other roles but he was very good in Love/Hate if anyone has seen it and I was excited when he was added to the PB line-up and thought he might get a bigger role.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Am I the only one who thinks that kind of jumped the shark? Arthur's my favourite character but (falsely) killing him off in such an unceremonious fashion was genuinely quite shocking and unexpected. The whole resolution felt a little too easy in the end. Structurally felt like it was a little bit all over the place once the main plot was resolved, with Tommy going through a complete breakdown and then becoming an MP within the space of about 15 minutes.

Last edited:

Utdstar01

Am I the only one who thinks that kind of jumped the shark? Arthur's my favourite character but killing him off in such an unceremonious fashion was genuinely quite shocking and unexpected. The whole resolution felt a little too easy in the end. Structurally felt like it was a little bit all over the place once the main plot was resolved, with Tommy going through a complete breakdown and then becoming an MP within the space of about 15 minutes.
He isn't dead

I agree about the last 15 minutes though.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He isn't dead?
Phrased that wrongly, more meant that when we thought he was dead it was a bold and shocking move; the resolution of him actually being alive etc in the end felt a little too contrived for me.

Utdstar01

Phrased that wrongly, more meant that when we thought he was dead it was a bold and shocking move; the resolution of him actually being alive etc in the end felt a little too contrived for me.
I guessed that's what you meant :lol: I agree. I was shocked mainly because of how he was attacked, it seemed a forgone conclusion that he was dead. Fail to see how he could've survived that tbh. I think the next season will most likely be based a couple of years later or so hence the quick happening of events. Somebody in here said the series spans over quite an expansive period of Tommy's life so I'm guessing that's why they have to dumb it down so much.

Jagga7

I thought the episode was pretty awful. The resolution to the Changretta beef was a total let down, in the end they just rang up Al Capone, they could have just done that in the first place and saved them self all the aggro. I thought killing Arther was brilliant and truly shocking but it turned out to be some stupid false death. Tommy then has a PTSD breakdown and now he's a fking elected MP. What the actual feck did I just watch?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I thought the episode was pretty awful. The resolution to the Changretta beef was a total let down, in the end they just rang up Al Capone, they could have just done that in the first place and saved them self all the aggro. I thought killing Arther was brilliant and truly shocking but it turned out to be some stupid false death. Tommy then has a PTSD breakdown and now he's a fking elected MP. What the actual feck did I just watch?
Yep, would reluctantly have to agree it was a bit all over the place. Loved Arthur but killing him off like that would've helped reinforce the shows sort of gritty, unpredictable tone. While the show would've struggled without him it'd have left open new arcs next season - who takes his place, how does Tommy cope etc.

Changretta came across really poor in the end - built up massively at the start by killing John, but after that consistently outwitted by just about...well, everyone.

I like the shows fast-paced nature since it avoids the stalling you'll often see in a lot of dramas, but aye, the final portion of the episode felt like half a season packed into 15 minutes.

Last edited: