Television Peaky Blinders

SteveTheRed

I thought Polly's transition from deranged drunk to calculating schemer was a bit too quick and seamless - imo that's a problem with her character in general: flip flopping between ruthless and pious/scrupulous. I'm also not too sure how I feel about her meeting with Changretta. Seems a bit extreme to sell out Thommy's life. He's family after all and I'd also expect that someone who is calculating as Polly apparently is again wouldn't sustain such a huge grudge from the near execution. It's also a bit paradox that someone is ruthless and cunning enough to deliver their own nephew, but also naive enough to believe that they will be safe after Thommy is dead.
Maybe it's a trap?

I also often wonder why Lizzy Stark has a seat on the board of a company that's so centered around the "blood" family. Back in s1 she was just a random whore. Then she became Thommy's secretary and feck buddy, but I can't recall her ever putting anything on the table beside that. No advice, no insights/opinions, no real handling of business, no plays.
I hope so, a double bluff that allows Changretta to get close to Tommy only to be stabbed in the back by Polly.

Also Lizzy, everyone's got to have a family whore right?

b82REZ

Even though I've defended Polly's character development it seemed way out of character for her to turn on T(h)ommy seemingly for no reason other than vengeance. Also fairly certain the Mafia wouldn't be so quick to accept such an offer

I won't be happy if it's a bait and switch either, it'll feel like a cop out.

Actually felt the last episode was one of, if not the weakest episode throughout the series.

This season desperately needs Alfie Solomons to show up soon.

SteveTheRed

Even though I've defended Polly's character development it seemed way out of character for her to turn on T(h)ommy seemingly for no reason other than vengeance. Also fairly certain the Mafia wouldn't be so quick to accept such an offer

I won't be happy if it's a bait and switch either, it'll feel like a cop out.

Actually felt the last episode was one of, if not the weakest episode throughout the series.

This season desperately needs Alfie Solomons to show up soon.
I felt a bit like that, without rewatching it all I couldn't say it was the weakest but I wasn't as gripped for sure.

IMO it will be a bait and switch, but the Italians will be aware of it, and Tommy will also know that they know...

b82REZ

I felt a bit like that, without rewatching it all I couldn't say it was the weakest but I wasn't as gripped for sure.

IMO it will be a bait and switch, but the Italians will be aware of it, and Tommy will also know that they know...
I'll have to rewatch with my gf over weekend so I'll see if I feel different after a second viewing.

I don't think it'll be a traditional bait and switch. I can see Polly's conscious kicking in and her telling T(h)ommy and him bringing in the wandering jew for support. In fact what I think is more likely is Ada gets killed in crossfire and T(h)ommy survives making Polly tell him the truth.

marktan

Considering they could well end the series after the 5th (I remember reading Steven Knight was discussing whether to do more but wasn't sure), they could conceivably kill off major characters like Thomas this season and then focus on the aftermath next season. Unlikely though and would require huge balls to do that. Do agree though Polly setting up Changretta would be a bit weak, if I were Changretta I'd see that coming from a mile away.

That episode did definitely feel filler-y. Focusing on Arthur not having to be the one to fire the bullet, Thomas' past love life.. not at all really necessary. But I think we've been spoiled a little by the pace set in the first two episodes, so I can accept it slowing down.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I just can't be arsed with Brody's stupid face and shit acting. Such good casting til him.

I don't think you'll end up in jail.
Watched it. Spoke to someone yesterday and was probably right to be cautious at least. They got a fine for downloading two movie torrents recently - €1800. Streams are ok apparently though.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

I just can't be arsed with Brady's stupid face and shit acting. Such good casting til him.

Watched it. Spoke to someone yesterday and was probably right to be cautious at least. They got a fine for downloading two movie torrents recently - €1800. Streams are ok apparently though.
I had never heard of this Broady before but am surprised at his reputation as a great actor. He is bloody terrible in Peaky Blinders, really hammy.

Where do you live? Sounds like a police state.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I had never heard of this Broady before but am surprised at his reputation as a great actor. He is bloody terrible in Peaky Blinders, really hammy.

Berlin. Seems pretty ridiculous to financially cripple someone for it like. The guy I spoke to said it wasn't even him. They send you details like times and stuff and it was all early in the morning around 4am and two movies he's never seen. Messed up

lsd

The Oracle

He is a great actor though he is totally hamming it up in peaky blinders .Hes clearly having fun going over the top and why not to be honest? He's playing the major baddie this season.

I do think Michael will eventually take over the family as leader and get more and more corrupted as things go on

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He is a great actor though he is totally hamming it up in peaky blinders .Hes clearly having fun going over the top and why not to be honest? He's playing the major baddie this season.

I do think Michael will eventually take over the family as leader and get more and more corrupted as things go on
He's taking me out of the program though. It's really obvious he's putting it on. Everyone else has sold their role well for me.
The faces he pulls are too daft as well. Maybe that's just his face.

Agree on Michael. From the beginning he was speaking like Tommy, then Ada made the comparison that he was acting like him. Either that or he'll get in too deep and die.

Frank Grimes

Well I hope Michael does something soon, other than look vacantly into space. I agree he probably will end up mean a major bad ass in the coming season(s).

SqueakyWeasel

Red Arthur :drool:

Whenever he say's Peaky Blinders (like in the opening sequence of the latest episode) I just have to laugh!
Cracks me up too seeing that exaggerated walk (like he's carrying a carton of eggs under each armpit).

Pretty sure, to be authentic, there would have been a few more "vaffanculo"s in Loooka's Italian "respect" speech.

And just for the Polly haters:
"Wadda ya say, hmmm, wanna dance?"
"I don't dance any more."
"Eewe, that's a shame … 'cause ya dancin' with me!"

GloryHunter07

I thought Polly's transition from deranged drunk to calculating schemer was a bit too quick and seamless - imo that's a problem with her character in general: flip flopping between ruthless and pious/scrupulous.
Fully agree, Its very tedious.

I'm also not too sure how I feel about her meeting with Changretta. Seems a bit extreme to sell out Thommy's life. He's family after all and I'd also expect that someone who is calculating as Polly apparently is again wouldn't sustain such a huge grudge from the near execution. It's also a bit paradox that someone is ruthless and cunning enough to deliver their own nephew, but also naive enough to believe that they will be safe after Thommy is dead.
Maybe it's a trap?
Its surely a double cross, she is trying to trap Changretta, but is he really that stupid?

GloryHunter07

Literally every actor with maybe the exception of Cillian Murphy is hamming it up big time. Especially in later seasons.

I actually like Adrian Broady in this.

SteveTheRed

Comments about Brody hamming it up. Of course he's hamming it up! He's playing a 1920's Sicilian mafiosi hitman.

Eire Red United

Considering they could well end the series after the 5th (I remember reading Steven Knight was discussing whether to do more but wasn't sure), they could conceivably kill off major characters like Thomas this season and then focus on the aftermath next season. Unlikely though and would require huge balls to do that. Do agree though Polly setting up Changretta would be a bit weak, if I were Changretta I'd see that coming from a mile away.

That episode did definitely feel filler-y. Focusing on Arthur not having to be the one to fire the bullet, Thomas' past love life.. not at all really necessary. But I think we've been spoiled a little by the pace set in the first two episodes, so I can accept it slowing down.
I think Tommys past love life will have a big role to play in the story

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Just blasted through the whole thing over the last week or so. Very entertaining, fun and stylistic. Murphy's excellent. Think this shows the benefit of shorter season dramas you rarely see with big US shows - stops plots from dragging too much and ensures everything's kept moving at an ideal pace.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Comments about Brody hamming it up. Of course he's hamming it up! He's playing a 1920's Sicilian mafiosi hitman.
Yeah, I don't think it's a particularly massive problem. Billy Kimber from Season 1 was absurdly hammy, as was the Italian gangster in Season 2. I do worry they're building him up a bit too much because he's presumably going to be beaten by Tommy and co by the end of the season, which may make the threat he poses seem a bit overstated.

SteveTheRed

Yeah, I don't think it's a particularly massive problem. Billy Kimber from Season 1 was absurdly hammy, as was the Italian gangster in Season 2. I do worry they're building him up a bit too much because he's presumably going to be beaten by Tommy and co by the end of the season, which may make the threat he poses seem a bit overstated.
Don't forget that he has killed one of the brothers already and put Michael in hospital, in one move. Nearly had Arthur killed. I would say the threat is substantial :D. Agree that I'm sure Tommy and Co will overcome it, the writers would be mad to kill off Tommy. He is the show.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Don't forget that he has killed one of the brothers already and put Michael in hospital, in one move. Nearly had Arthur killed. I would say the threat is substantial :D. Agree that I'm sure Tommy and Co will overcome it, the writers would be mad to kill off Tommy. He is the show.
True, although considering the extent to which he's been built up, only managing to kill one family member would seem quite small-scale.

Anyway, as for that episode, Alfie's fecking hilarious.:lol:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Who I think will get it. The younger brother, that whole couldn't shoot thing I reckon has been set up for a reason. A few more of the side characters, Abraham Gold and son as well as Polly.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Who I think will get it. The younger brother, that whole couldn't shoot thing I reckon has been set up for a reason. A few more of the side characters, Abraham Gold and son as well as Polly.
Yeah, Finn had been given very little attention until now but a decent amount of focus has started being put onto him since John's death.

JoaquinJoaquin

Just blasted through the whole thing over the last week or so. Very entertaining, fun and stylistic. Murphy's excellent. Think this shows the benefit of shorter season dramas you rarely see with big US shows - stops plots from dragging too much and ensures everything's kept moving at an ideal pace.
Agree. Luther is similar in which it always leaves you wanting more which i'd rather have. Some of the American shows going into 20 odd episodes a series is just madness.

Heardy

I do wonder how long this show will go on for.

For me, it's excellent and definitely benefits from 6-episode series. I saw an interview with Cillian Murphy where he said that Steven Knight (Writer / Creator of the show) had a story planned that spanned the gap between the first and second world wars, so conceivably a lot of time / story to cover off yet.

Long may it continue!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
His accent occasionally reminds me of his Bane one every so often.

Redo91

One thing I don't really understand is Luca could have killed Tommy back in his office but decided not to as he wanted to wipe out everyone else in his family and leave him til last. He then proceeds to strike a deal with Polly to secure Tommy. What happened to wanting to leave him til last? Plus its not like he has struggled to track down Tommy so why the need to strike the deal in the first place?

GloryHunter07

One thing I don't really understand is Luca could have killed Tommy back in his office but decided not to as he wanted to wipe out everyone else in his family and leave him til last. He then proceeds to strike a deal with Polly to secure Tommy. What happened to wanting to leave him til last? Plus its not like he has struggled to track down Tommy so why the need to strike the deal in the first place?
Peaky blinders is more about style than substance.

Adebesi

Its a bit tenuous but arent we supposed to think a reasonable amount of time had passed? After he got to Tommy the first time they stepped up security (though he seems happy to walk around on his own, so presumably wouldnt have been that hard to get to). It was all taking a bit longer than they wanted and the Italians were missing the food from home, so the plan changed.

Yeah, it doesnt really add up.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think he underestimated them a bit. He expected to be able to waltz in and pick them off with relative ease, but then Arthur killed a couple of his men and it was clear the Blinders had plenty of strength of their own. And anyway, he might think it's more satisfying to let Tommy know when he's about to kill him (hypothetically) that it was a close family member who sold him out.

lsd

The Oracle

He read the script ?

Redo91

I think he underestimated them a bit. He expected to be able to waltz in and pick them off with relative ease, but then Arthur killed a couple of his men and it was clear the Blinders had plenty of strength of their own. And anyway, he might think it's more satisfying to let Tommy know when he's about to kill him (hypothetically) that it was a close family member who sold him out.
Actually that does sound feasible. I remember that scene where Luca and the rest of the Italians are giving out about the food and wanting to go home.