Television Peaky Blinders

SqueakyWeasel

I watched the first episode of the first season yesterday and that's enough for me. It's probably brilliant but I just can't deal with the accents.
Yeah, I'm with you 100%! Insert crazily laughing emoji

I can never watch a period drama if it doesn't have at least a PS2 or an iPhone in it!

feck authenticity, lets dumb everything down to make sure it doesn't grate on tender ears!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Finally caught on with this. Great series. I've watched the two seasons on Netflix. Apparently I'm just not allowed to watch the third in the UK, because they won't put it on there until a year after (another month off), and won't keep them on iPlayer. Netflix US got it a few weeks after airing. Joke.

Bit of a massive hole in the first one though...Irish girl arrives in pub at exactly the same time as Irish police fella comes on the scene, but smartarse Tommy didn't put 2 and 2 together?
Probably already been mentioned but too dangerous to look in the thread.

Jagga7

Just watched the new episode, I thought it was brilliant. I was pleasantly surprised to see Littlefinger has a major role in this season. Broady's Mafioso accent was a little dodgy but his scene with Tommy was still great!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fully caught up now. Glad they're back in Small Heath. Far better setting than acting like lords in massive manors. Was good for a change though.

The feeling of the fun and dedication dying out amongst them has been put across well. The magic has definitely gone for them. It's kinda sad to see.
I'm in love with the psycho Russian Duchess from last season.

SteveTheRed

Finally caught on with this. Great series. I've watched the two seasons on Netflix. Apparently I'm just not allowed to watch the third in the UK, because they won't put it on there until a year after (another month off), and won't keep them on iPlayer. Netflix US got it a few weeks after airing. Joke.

Bit of a massive hole in the first one though...Irish girl arrives in pub at exactly the same time as Irish police fella comes on the scene, but smartarse Tommy didn't put 2 and 2 together?
Probably already been mentioned but too dangerous to look in the thread.
I always assumed he knew she was an agent, but looked at the benefits of using her against Campbell. I can't say too much as you need to watch season 3! Find it quick

OverratedOpinion

It comes across as a little contrived to me that old man Changretta had essentially become a small time face before he was killed whilst his son is a major mafia figure in New York.

Either way Cillian Murphy is fantastic and I'm mildly in love with Ada.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I always assumed he knew she was an agent, but looked at the benefits of using her against Campbell. I can't say too much as you need to watch season 3! Find it quick
I've watched them all now :lol:
There's a couple of times that hint at Tommy clicking and realising something is up.

Last edited:

b82REZ

Does any one not find her really annoying?? She's outlived her role, I hope they kill her off this season.
How has she outlived her role? Michael specifically said last episode that Tommy needs her. She's there to offer Tommy balance and since he'll get wound up about the mafia so easily getting to him he's going to need a person to help keep him grounded.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I'd say a few people will find her more annoying this season just because she's at loggerheads with Tommy. Women who stop the cool fella doing cool shit will come across as annoying because we all want to see the cool fella to do cool shit.

SteveTheRed

Does anyone else find Pol really annoying?
Yes she's been annoying pretty much the moment Michael turned up, but I think that's part of her character. She was great and ruthless in the beginning, but became a bit soft when her son came into the picture.

Adebesi

I'd say a few people will find her more annoying this season just because she's at loggerheads with Tommy. Women who stop the cool fella doing cool shit will come across as annoying because we all want to see the cool fella to do cool shit.
Powerful people need to have at least one person capable of standing up to them around the place.

Jagga7

How has she outlived her role? Michael specifically said last episode that Tommy needs her. She's there to offer Tommy balance and since he'll get wound up about the mafia so easily getting to him he's going to need a person to help keep him grounded.
That was such contrived bs, she's been acting crazy for a season and a half, not exactly the person to keep anyone grounded.

She's so fecking annoying because she acts as if she's better than the rest of them. They're all fecking criminals from day one.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah I was getting a little annoyed with Polly. Only because she went from badass to moany and a bit of a weak link. There's lots of character progression which they do well but quickly, so I guess it's just part of that.
They all changed and seemed to grow out of their Peaky roles. Part of the magic leaving, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, which could easily happen in real life. Everyone apart from Tommy of course, who's too driven for his own good and obviously loves the danger side as well, even though he keeps saying he wants to be fully legal. I'd like to see them all passionate about the illegal stuff again but then I guess nothing would change.

GloryHunter07

Is she Tommy's most important advisor or is she a drunken lunatic that talks to ghosts?

The latter was just a tedious, contrived storyline that has turned me off her character.

b82REZ

Is she Tommy's most important advisor or is she a drunken lunatic that talks to ghosts?

The latter was just a tedious, contrived storyline that has turned me off her character.
The way they went around the spirits and vision she claimed to have was contrived but that is something Tommy believes in. He believes in all the gypsy side of his family and Polly is his surrogate mother. I think the whole visions will play a part though so may not be as contrived as originally thought.

I thought the change in her character was very well done. She was a feared and respected gangster, then when she found out Michael was alive she tried to change her ways to keep her son away from the inevitable trouble that comes with the family business.

SqueakyWeasel

It comes across as a little contrived to me that old man Changretta had essentially become a small time face before he was killed whilst his son is a major mafia figure in New York.

Either way Cillian Murphy is fantastic and I'm mildly in love with Ada.
The older CAFtards here might be able to relate to something my Uncle always used to say when vexed … "fecking Ada!" :lol:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
'Keep his balls empty and his belly full', well I daresay there's some truth in that girls, un-PC though it may be.

Most things are good for a series or two but then decline, Peaky just seems to go on getting better.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Anyone know how I can watch it in Germany? Don't know much about VPNs. Don't really wanna pay either.

Could probably find it on a dodgy site, but I'm sure I've read they're pretty strict on it in Germany. Or maybe that's just torrents?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I thought Polly's transition from deranged drunk to calculating schemer was a bit too quick and seamless - imo that's a problem with her character in general: flip flopping between ruthless and pious/scrupulous. I'm also not too sure how I feel about her meeting with Changretta. Seems a bit extreme to sell out Thommy's life. He's family after all and I'd also expect that someone who is calculating as Polly apparently is again wouldn't sustain such a huge grudge from the near execution. It's also a bit paradox that someone is ruthless and cunning enough to deliver their own nephew, but also naive enough to believe that they will be safe after Thommy is dead.
Maybe it's a trap?

I also often wonder why Lizzy Stark has a seat on the board of a company that's so centered around the "blood" family. Back in s1 she was just a random whore. Then she became Thommy's secretary and feck buddy, but I can't recall her ever putting anything on the table beside that. No advice, no insights/opinions, no real handling of business, no plays.

Classical Mechanic

I thought Polly's transition from deranged drunk to calculating schemer was a bit too quick and seamless - imo that's a problem with her character in general: flip flopping between ruthless and pious/scrupulous. I'm also not too sure how I feel about her meeting with Changretta. Seems a bit extreme to sell out Thommy's life. He's family after all and I'd also expect that someone who is calculating as Polly apparently is again wouldn't sustain such a huge grudge from the near execution. It's also a bit paradox that someone is ruthless and cunning enough to deliver their own nephew, but also naive enough to believe that they will be safe after Thommy is dead.
Maybe it's a trap?

I also often wonder why Lizzy Stark has a seat on the board of a company that's so centered around the "blood" family. Back in s1 she was just a random whore. Then she became Thommy's secretary and feck buddy, but I can't recall her ever putting anything on the table beside that. No advice, no insights/opinions, no real handling of business, no plays.
It's Tommy in English. Only parents of posh boys like Thom Yorke would put the H in.