Pedri | Barcelona player

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
If he actually has a 70m release clause, going for him should be a no-brainer. Though I suspect a new contract would be arranged before anything could happen.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah, Italy were very pedestrian in midfield and sat off Spain. Its an impressive stst but not as impressive as it looks on the surface.
I think you should consider why Italy 'sat off' Spain - they had no choice as engaging was pointless with multiple matadors to one collective bull. Spain's midfield was as imperious as their attackers were dire last night and a throwback to the Xaviesta days of it being a ceaseless carousel of passes the opposition cannot get near.

Busquets and Pedri (and to a lesser extent, Koke) ran rings around anybody that came near them to the point it became prudent to stop bothering lest just waste a massive amount of energy.

That level of ball retention needs to be considered for what it is, which is out of this world.

If he continues to knit midfield like that, he'll only be mentioned alongside the greats because what he's doing is an extreme outlier in football that very few are capable of. Similar to Busquets, who played like... himself of about 6 years ago last night, at a level you'd be hard-pressed to find another player to replicate.

Phenomenal performance. And to do it against Verratti and a midfield who have looked like they ran things all tournament, makes it all the more noteworthy.

cyberman

I think you should consider why Italy 'sat off' Spain - they had no choice as engaging was pointless with multiple matadors to one collective bull. Spain's midfield was as imperious as their attackers were dire last night and a throwback to the Xaviesta days of it being a ceaseless carousel of passes the opposition cannot get near.

Busquets and Pedri (and to a lesser extent, Koke) ran rings around anybody that came near them to the point it became prudent to stop bothering lest just waste a massive amount of energy.

That level of ball retention needs to be considered for what it is, which is out of this world.

If he continues to knit midfield like that, he'll only be mentioned alongside the greats because what he's doing is an extreme outlier in football that very few are capable of. Similar to Busquets, who played like... himself of about 6 years ago last night, at a level you'd be hard-pressed to find another player to replicate.

Phenomenal performance. And to do it against Verratti and a midfield who have looked like they ran things all tournament, makes it all the more noteworthy.
I dunno. Italy seemed to sit back and allow Spain the ball in midfield to then press the less talented attackers when the ball came to them. Italy kept their shape very well and weren't moved sround which would happen if it were a proper midfield battle.
Not saying it wasnt an great display, it just wasnt superhuman in the way that stat leads you to believe.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I dunno. Italy seemed to sit back and allow Spain the ball in midfield to then press the less talented attackers when the ball came to them. Italy kept their shape very well and weren't moved sround which would happen if it were a proper midfield battle.
Not saying it wasnt an great display, it just wasnt superhuman in the way that stat leads you to believe.
Italy tried to impose their game but they couldn't get near Spain, Spain players pressed them well to win the ball back and then they moved the ball so well that Italians couldn't win it back. So naturally they dropped deep and played defensive game.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's basically the template of the majority of Spain and Barca's games with Xaviesta where teams could not engage them in an open game and had to turtle up and try and hit in short, rapid bursts. There's a reason for that.

Another gauge would be how many times they fed the incompetent forwards - Villa, Raul or even Diego Costa up front and this game would've been put to bed well before full time.

El Jefe

The biggest compliment I can pay him is that he looks 28 out there. Maturity beyond his years with the quality to go with it.

I do have to say he falls slightly below Fabregas as the most talented CM I've seen just because Cesc was in a 2 man midfield dominating without Vieira in the PL.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I am not one of those who likes to hype players based on age and International Tournaments. Over the last years recently maybe Mbappe at a under 19 Euro in 2016 and 2 years later at Russia, but I am really struggling to remember a 18 year old midfielder playing at such a high level on this type of tournament. I don't know how much he can improve for the future, but he really is bloody impressive. Another one if I am not wrong who comes from the Canary Islands, like Valeron, must be the air... really special, hopefully he makes the right choices over his carreer.

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
Yeah, me either. That’s why I suspect a new contract would get tied up before anything could happen :lol: Worth a shot, though...

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Ran rings around the Italian midfield. Not only is he technically gifted, but he runs a lot too and covers a lot of ground.

Lacks killer instinct in the final third though. He rarely tries to shoot, or try killer passes for assist or try to make runs into the box. But he's still very young, he'll probably improve in those areas.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

PEDRI REFUSES TO HAVE A VACATION
- Ronald Koeman offered him a holiday until 18th August.
- But Pedri has decided NOT to accept them and will join on Thursday.
- Player's decision, the club asked him not to go to the Games, and now he wants to show his commitment.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
signalling his drive and commitment to ole. good lad.

Skills

Snitch
Let's offer to take Griezmann and Countinho off Barcelona in return for us getting Pedri.

Infestissumam

I don't know who decided that a 18-year-old should play 50+ games for Barca AND the Euros AND the Olympics, but "absolute madness" doesn't even begin to describe it. Insane.

and as the club, I wouldn't give a damn if he wants to skip his holiday now. You need a fecking break, son.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We can all say good lad and all but he will get flak if he breaks down during the season. The club should put its foot down for the players own good.

Matthew84!

Yes fair play but unfortunately when it's the middle of the season and his legs have gone, everyone will be saying what's wrong with him and who the hell made him play so many games.
Just hope it doesn't lead to bad injuries.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
I don't know who decided that a 18-year-old should play 50+ games for Barca AND the Euros AND the Olympics, but "absolute madness" doesn't even begin to describe it. Insane.

and as the club, I wouldn't give a damn if he wants to skip his holiday now. You need a fecking break, son.
He decided to go to the Olympics even if Barca wanthed him to rest, I guess it's his way to thank them, but they really should just give him 3 weeks of rest, it's insane how much he played last seasons. Even without international competition he had an insane season, playing 60 games running 11km per games is just insane.

spiriticon

Fecking hell. This guy played in the Euros and Olympics isn't it? He needs a holiday.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Amazing attitude but he should take that break. 10 days break is not long break anyway and it's good enough to make sure you don't get burnt out.

Infestissumam

He decided to go to the Olympics even if Barca wanthed him to rest, I guess it's his way to thank them, but they really should just give him 3 weeks of rest, it's insane how much he played last seasons. Even without international competition he had an insane season, playing 60 games running 11km per games is just insane.
IMO it's irresponsible of Spain to even take him to the Olympics in the first place. Should have been either Euros or Olympics, not both.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's not commendable in the slightest. The club need to overrule the kid and protect him from himself. If they don't, he'll be burnt out faster than Fabregas or a host of young prodigious talents who were effectively spent by their late 20's.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He should look at Fabregas as example. Cesc is probably very comparable - playing such a key role for his side at the same age with little rest. Never affected him at the time, sure, but his peak was very young and he was basically done by 30.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Stupid decision, will be done at the top flight by 28/29.