Pedro | Agreed terms with Chelsea

where will Pedro go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

They all hit the net, no matter how they go in. If we arent scoring goals, the players need to step up. Pedro would have been a fine signing, but he wasnt going to make a world of difference. He isnt Muller or Ronaldo. We have a lot of creative players. Mata, Memphis, Rooney. There is no excuse for us not to be scoring goals with that lineup.
Ah the good ol' STEP UP saying. Been a good while since I've heard that statement.

vk20legend

So it looks like Chelsea are on the verge of landing Pedro...

I am not going to pretend he is a bad player or United dodged a bullet or something like that..

He is an excellent player with great work rate and a very intelligent player who can make those runs..

I also dont believe we refuse to meet the clause of 30M€.. That is basically pocket change for a club like united.. OK, not pocket change, but you get the idea..

Chances are either we are locked in on a bigger target..

Or after seeing Adnan and Memphis perform, he feels that we have a good enough squad..

Pedro signing for United would make our squad very good.. Pedro signing for Chelsea would make an already "title retaining capable" squad become even better..

I was worried when United missed out on Clyne.. But we ended up signing Darmian who is looking excellent for us..

So maybe we got something else up our sleeve.. Or we are done for the summer..

Either way I trust the manager..

AKDevil

There was something I read that our first signing since launching the new kit has to be an Adidas player? Pedro wears Nike so it could be a reason for the breakdown.
Can't believe that or LVG would have that. How can he pick a signing based on boots a player wears? Only two Adidas players that are top level are bale and muller. Going to turn players down and go for players you can't get based on what boots they wear?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
At least we don't have to pretend Pedro is a good player any more.

He isn't good enough to wear United red. Chelsea are only about to buy him as a back up player like Cuadado is.
please, he's a quality player but I don't think Chelsea is the best choice for him because they already have very good wide options, but also because of the play style. Would have suited United and City way more.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Very disappointed because it seems that we have made a decision not to sign him based on three games, in two of which we actually cried out for a player like him. He will probably score 10+ goals for Chelsea this season and be very good for them. He is better than Willian and offers them something new up front.
Who says it was because of those games? Surely LVG and everyone else associated with transfers aren't that dumb, I mean come on! Seriously people actually think this?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Seems like we didn't meet Barcelona's asking price and Chelsea did. It was widely reported we had agreed a deal with Pedro and Pedro himself was very happy coming to United.

Looks like we have missed out on a very good player, but I believe we will sign an exciting winger before the window closes.

mu4c_20le

Two wins in the league, one from an own goal and one from a deflection.

F Pedro. Who needs creativity?
Mata is more creative than Pedro. We wanted him for his penetrating runs and knack of showing up at the righ tplace at the right times to score goals, but if Adnan can step up then I'm happy with that.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nah, we could have done with him, clearly.
I disagree anto, we didn't/don't need him at all. I don't think he's the kind of 'world class' player that would immediately improve us. I'd much rather we didn't sign him and instead gave gametime to Januzaj and Pereira who IMO have the ability to be MUCH better than Pedro. We have a fantastic squad, we don't need Pedro, we don't need a CB. People just want signings because they are muppets.

FujiVice

Ah the good ol' STEP UP saying. Been a good while since I've heard that statement.
Its the truth. Look at Rooney's record. Its not the record that suggests he should be going 15 games without a goal. Maybe we should be looking closer to home to figure out our problems. Memphis, Mata and Rooney are not shit players. They are more than capable of putting the ball in the box and scoring goals.

I'm all for signing players, but if I'm going to shed tears over not signing someone, its not going to be Pedro.

Von Mistelroum

Pedro seemed to be likely to be our last signing so I think we're done now unless de Gea leaves.

Sadly, I think this will leave us struggling for 4th again because of our issues in attack and likely eventual defensive problems.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Who says it was because of those games? Surely LVG and everyone else associated with transfers aren't that dumb, I mean come on! Seriously people actually think this?
Why were we in for him in the first place then and what could have possibly changed our minds? Unless we have someone like Muller lined up instead I don't understand sudden change of mind. Cannot believe it is over £2m.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why were we in for him in the first place then and what could have possibly changed our minds? Unless we have someone like Muller lined up instead I don't understand sudden change of mind. Cannot believe it is over £2m.
Or, we didn't change our mind and were just beaten to the punch by Chelsea? It's not that unthinkable a scenario...

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Could well be someone else lined up. Could be a case that players within the squad have impressed and decided it's best go with them. Targets change all the time I'm sure.

NewDawnFades

Given the rate we were spunking money last year, this is a really odd one. Either we weren't willing to spend the extra money because we overspent last summer, or we weren't genuinely interested in Pedro in the first place. The fact that we are not prepared to meet asking price for an undervalued Pedro but accept a substantial loss on Di Maria and Falcao in 12 months is just shocking mismanagement either way, surely?

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
At the end of day he was going to be a quality signing that would add to the side.

We'd all imagined the side with Pedro in and the possibilities that could generate. But alas it wasn't too be and we have to accept that.

Ultimately now the key is getting in a player who can make a difference because the squad isn't currently quite good enough. If LVG has decided that he's happy with the squad then that's a major cause for concern.

IwatUwat

He's a great player this is a massive miss from us. He's great value too, his pedigree (has was everything in the game and been influential in a few of those wins), has a great scoring record every season for last 5 or 6.

A rival is now been strengthened due to this miss there is no doubt that even if you think Pedro would get in our side or any of the others, but you have a sub to bring on who is roughly like for like on the bench equivilant would you rather:

Chelsea - Pedro
Utd - Young
Arsenal - Walcott
Liverpool - Ibe
City - Navas (he has been starting so off form Nasri)

I'd go for Pedro all day long. In my view he'll play for Chelsea over Willian as he is more productive. Either way us not signing him means we are weaker and a rival is stronger.

IF the option was Pedro or sign someone else better then fair enough, but not sure that's going to happen.

Our only saving grace is that we are relatively stronger in that area with Mata, Young, Herrera, Januzaj, Fellaini all being options, but Pedro is different from these. For me now we should really push for a achievable target surprised no-one is going for Goetze seems again willing to sell and good value. Muller isnt achievable, and with all the conversations we've had with Real Bale is out of the question, as is Benzema as a striker. As a fan a lot of this is based on assumptions as you never know who we have had conversations with and about which players, but when a player signs for another team and is clearly available like Pedro and we had the chance its clearly a miss.

Richard Keys tweeted that Pedro is Valdes' best mate, and whether this had something to do with it.....who knows?

ravi2

I feel the same way, we generally overpay for our targets so there is no way we lose a top target over 2m.
Either LVG is satisfied with the progress of Januzaj/Pereira and wants to give them a chance to develop further or we have a bigger target (Griezmann) in our sights.

I trust LVG and I think by the time the window closes our team will be ready to challenge.

Sarni

Or, we didn't change our mind and were just beaten to the punch by Chelsea? It's not that unthinkable a scenario...
We have had three weeks to complete the deal, Chelsea barely seemed interested all this time and wasn't it actually said that Mourinho hadn't wanted him? This is certainly weird but nonetheless disappointing. Then again we have replaced Di Maria with Depay and IMO it will be an upgrade in both short and long term.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
It's truly bizarre. With the dawn of the huge Adidas deal we were led to believe we would smash the transfer market apart. We can only hope LVG has had his head turned.

JoaquinJoaquin

Its the truth. Look at Rooney's record. Its not the record that suggests he should be going 15 games without a goal. Maybe we should be looking closer to home to figure out our problems. Memphis, Mata and Rooney are not shit players. They are more than capable of putting the ball in the box and scoring goals.

I'm all for signing players, but if I'm going to shed tears over not signing someone, its not going to be Pedro.
What Rooney done in the past doesn't matter at the moment, he presently isn't the world class player he once was. Others can 'step up' all they want, But it can't mask the fact that without a top class striker and another winger we are always going to struggle to get goals. If you factor in the fact our wing options apart from Memphis are Januzaj (who blows hot and cold and still unproven), Young (not exactly a huge hub of creativity) and Mata (who is a #10), Then you can't help but worry. No amount of 'stepping up' is going to replace the fact we need proven QUALITY in there.

The ol' stepping up argument is what was used when the Glazers wouldn't spend money and our squad massively decayed, That shouldn't still be the case in 2015.

Sarni

I feel the same way, we generally overpay for our targets so there is no way we lose a top target over 2m.
Either LVG is satisfied with the progress of Januzaj/Pereira and wants to give them a chance to develop further or we have a bigger target (Griezmann) in our sights.

I trust LVG and I think by the time the window closes our team will be ready to challenge.
Aye. Either way if Januzaj or Pereira can make an impact we will be better off in the long term. It is a disapponting because I felt Pedro could add a lot to the team for the next 2-3 years but giving Januzaj a chance will be better long term. He has been good recently so this might be it. Still a bit worried because of Rooney.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I disagree anto, we didn't/don't need him at all. I don't think he's the kind of 'world class' player that would immediately improve us. I'd much rather we didn't sign him and instead gave gametime to Januzaj and Pereira who IMO have the ability to be MUCH better than Pedro. We have a fantastic squad, we don't need Pedro, we don't need a CB. People just want signings because they are muppets.
I see where you are coming from, but what he would offer out on the riight we have no one who can really offer. I'm not overly fussed, but I can see how he would have beeen useful and he sure as hell would have been a good fit to an LvG side.

I'm not arsed though, neither am I bothered about defenders all that much, I'm delighted to no longer worry about the midfield for a change. The only thing not sitting quite right with me is being so overly-dependent on Rooney. I rate Chicha and think Rooney will improve, but we do lack oomph upfront.

Ixion

The reports we had dropped our interest in him only came about after the repots he was about to sign for Chelsea. It's a complete face-saving exercise and we've simply been beaten to the punch for wasting time.

Smores

Nah better to come up with some convaluted theories than admit such a defeat.

I'm going with Pedro spit roasted LvGs daughters with Valdes. Been a while since we've used the daughter line!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We have someone way better lined up for arrival. That's the only logical explanation so far.

I remember Kaos came up with that theory when we were in process of toying around with Pedro's clause and this idea was stuck in my head for a while but now it seems this may be a real thing.

Many probably think now that after signing Romero we kinda rest on laurels but I don't believe such an old fox like Van Gaal would actually do that.

We're signing someone else or we're signing Pedro after some mindfeck rollercoaster complication phase.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Chelsea do a deal in less than 24 hours and we have been fecking about for weeks
It's crazy, isn't it? Our club is made to look the laughing stock yet again.

We're like a God damn circus when it comes to transfer business. Pathetic idiots.

antohan

Don't try to understand it then. Seriously, don't do that to yourself. If this is your reaction after not signing Pedro I fear for you once we don't sign Müller.

ravi2

Aye. Either way if Januzaj or Pereira can make an impact we will be better off in the long term. It is a disapponting because I felt Pedro could add a lot to the team for the next 2-3 years but giving Januzaj a chance will be better long term. He has been good recently so this might be it. Still a bit worried because of Rooney.

That is where someone like Griezmann could come in very handy...can play RW/RF and ST.
I am worried about Rooney this season as well, but he usually takes a while to get going (unless its contract time again)

mu4c_20le

This is nothing compared to the Sneijder, Vidal, Cesc, Thiago sagas. Nothing at all.

Shimo

The reports we had dropped our interest in him only came about after the repots he was about to sign for Chelsea. It's a complete face-saving exercise and we've simply been beaten to the punch for wasting time.
Sounds more like we pulled out and Chelsea stepped in right after. Last week it was that City beat our bid but, Pedro's choice was United - so while we were interested it was up to us. Once we pulled out after whatever stupid negotiations on Monday, Chelsea got wind of it and have stepped up - especially after the humbling on the weekend.

Moonred

Have to say we might have just place for one more signing and we have realized its got to be an outright striker. I'll be disappointed if we dont end up with anyone else. But even then I would understand as we have done very well this summer and could have a stromg season without being spectacular.

antohan

Richard Keys tweeted that Pedro is Valdes' best mate, and whether this had something to do with it.....who knows?
Sounds like convenient made up bullshit Keys is well capable of, but it would explain a lot. There was the Stoichkov incident as well... Barca sure isn't the best place for LvG to go shopping, there will be a lot of bad memories there.

rockerlad

It's crazy, isn't it? Our club is made to look the laughing stock yet again.

We're like a God damn circus when it comes to transfer business. Pathetic idiots.
Agree we have spent sod all this summer, just started a massive kit deal and we fecked about over £2m

Status
Not open for further replies.