Pedro at Chelsea

Moby

Dick
He seems, at times, to be so keen to pull off some kind of unexpected master stroke
These are Dutch people. What looks like a masterstroke to others is normal common sense for them.

Bergkamp went through the same criticism. "Why try to go for the spectacular all the time when you can slide it into the bottom corner?" then he came out and said it's just how he thought would be the best way to beat the keeper.

I don't think Van Gaal considers any of his ideas as masterstrokes.

Sam

You might try reading it again, obviously from the quotes we were NEVER the front runners for him so not really a matter of dropping a bollock. But by all means continue with your angry man wum or whatever it is you are doing
Pedro's Agent -
'Maybe Manchester United fell asleep. The negotiation with Chelsea was like a lightning bolt. 'It is common knowledge that United were in the bidding for Pedro, but Chelsea were faster and within 24 hours reached an agreement with the club. It was a whirlwind.'
Pedro -
"There was interest from other clubs in England. United, City and Chelsea''
Take your head out of the sand.

Sereques

Overall a large amount of money has been spent and whilst there was evidently a lot to do, I'd expect us to be showing a bit more going forward at this stage. Its early in the season but three of our front four were here last year and the system isnt hugely different to what we had last year for significant spells.

Its fair to say midfield issues have been addressed. At the back I'm not so sure. Blind looks solid but the Jury is still out. Considering we wanted Ramos and, by assumption we wanted a centre back, I'm not sure why we havent brought one in. In terms of upfront we're not letting player settle, other than Depay. Those players were here last year.
When you look at the team that starts against Newcastle. Only two of them is from the SAF era. That is a lot of changes in a short period of time. The statement "considering how much we've spent" does not justify the reality. We litteraly bought a new squad. This things takes time, a

Americano

Make America Great Again!
It's another one of those signings that seemed so obvious. A player that we needed desperately, one that has the ability to play for a club like Manchester United. Now I understand why we did not sign him. It just made too much sense.
You are forgetting about one more problem, the price. It was far too reasonable.

RedRover

These are Dutch people. What looks like a masterstroke to others is normal common sense for them.

Bergkamp went through the same criticism. "Why try to go for the spectacular all the time when you can slide it into the bottom corner?" then he came out and said it's just how he thought would be the best way to beat the keeper.

I don't think Van Gaal considers any of his ideas as masterstrokes.
He has the air of a man wanting to show how brilliant he is by doing things the hard way instead of using what he has at his disposal.

Fair play if it works, but if it doesn't you look a fool. For example of Rooney fm doesn't do it this year and we have no cover, or if he spends months on the treatment table the responsibility for not having cover falls on one man.

Last edited:

RedRover

When you look at the team that starts against Newcastle. Only two of them is from the SAF era. That is a lot of changes in a short period of time. The statement "considering how much we've spent" does not justify the reality. We litteraly bought a new squad. This things takes time, a
Things do take time but how long do we wait before we expect significant improvement on the pitch? If we were creating chances and not getting the rub of the green I'd be inclined to think things will get better soon. As it is, I personally don't see a cohesive side with a system that looks like it will work.

Football moves quickly - more so than ever before and he's now brough lt his own players in. This is largely his team.

I'm not suggesting he should be sacked ir anything of the sort, but I do think it's fair to ask questions and expect more in terms of performances and crucially an obvious direction of where we're going and where the improvement is going to come from. perhaps a quality addition going forward might help.

Last edited:

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Can our agent Man United hurry up and lodge some bids for Pogba so we can get that deal finalized please!

Moby

Dick
He has the air of a man wanting to show how brilliant he is
Like I said I highly doubt he thinks playing Memphis as an AM will make people think I'm brilliant, or anything. Things seem out of the ordinary for us but he's doing it purely because it makes the most sense for him, like most other managers. It's just that things that make sense to him can be controversial for others, but I doubt he cares about what they look to others.

Spoony

The People's President
You missed the part about chelsea showing the most interest. If that is the case then either we showed very little or chelsea were in for him all along. Take your head out of your own backside grumpy.

They were probably chasing another target, and Pedro was the second option.

RedRover

Like I said I highly doubt he thinks playing Memphis as an AM will make people think I'm brilliant, or anything. Things seem out of the ordinary for us but he's doing it purely because it makes the most sense for him, like most other managers. It's just that things that make sense to him can be controversial for others, but I doubt he cares about what they look to others.
Maybe not.

Still hard for the fans to understand what appear to be deliberately left field decisions, even if they aren't. It doesn't inspire confidence when it appears things are not going well.

Q80

The one thing that brings me down about missing this transfer is that we opted out on a professional. Thats the description we keep getting is that hes a "model pro" unlike the likes of Di Maria / Tevez.

More professionals are what we need to add to this club, and people like Neymar are gambles since you dont know where they are going to be after a years time.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Pedro's Agent -

Pedro -

Take your head out of the sand.
It's pretty clear from those quotes that he was never a proper target. Pedro was angling for a move away so no doubt his agent contacted us and from there we never made a proper approach like they had hoped. Chelsea did and that's why they got him.

As Van Gaal said, it was a simple transfer, if we wanted him we would have paid the money and signed him.

IwatUwat

He played well at the weekend. Some of our players can learn a bit from what he was doing at the weekend. Pulling defenders wide and making intelligent runs in the middle beyond the striker. Also being dynamic with the ball, quick passing round players and running at the opposition. Was good to see.

He'll 100% be a success in my view, and hence the reason I wanted him here so much. But didnt happen and we move on, hopefully this allows someone else to come in, or one of our own to develop.

izec

What a rubbish quote from Guadriola. Overhyping his prodigee. If he was that good, surely Bayern would have bought him.

Kakeru

The one thing that brings me down about missing this transfer is that we opted out on a professional. Thats the description we keep getting is that hes a "model pro" unlike the likes of Di Maria / Tevez.

More professionals are what we need to add to this club, and people like Neymar are gambles since you dont know where they are going to be after a years time.
This. What would have been or can be better than a model professional who answers one our of needs in our current position?

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Well, he will play better than Rooney. And that won't be saying much!

Sam

It's pretty clear from those quotes that he was never a proper target. Pedro was angling for a move away so no doubt his agent contacted us and from there we never made a proper approach like they had hoped. Chelsea did and that's why they got him.

As Van Gaal said, it was a simple transfer, if we wanted him we would have paid the money and signed him.
''When he has signed I will come to you and say: ‘Hey, Pedro is here.’ That is not the case and we shall wait to see.”
"It is a process. I want a player who is creative and fast, Pedro is this."
How more obvious does it have to be that we wanted him, and were in for him?

twitter thread suggester
Terrible defending for Crystal Palace's first goal :) Good assist though...

cyberman

I wish we never signed Valdes.
Nobody else would touch him when we rehabilitated him and offered him a contract. What else did we have to do? Drop DDG for him?

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Can't we just terminate his contract/pay him off? just call it a write off.

The guy seems like cancer around Carrington.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Looked pretty poor today IMO.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Oh it really doesn't matter how he performs, for the rest of the season Pedro will be considered by fans and pundits alike as the player that Utd needed most and missed out on. Personally I was never convinced he would make that big an impact as he's not a true top, top player and for that reason I would much rather give game time to the younger players(Memphis, januzaj, pereira).

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Judging Pedro in a United top and what he would bring to United, is different to judging him in a Chelsea shirt. Our needs are different. We require different things. He looks to run in behind which obviously be of no benefit to United :) Best to judge over a period of time but Joses and perhaps Van Gaals style might not suit him. We won't know. I'd still have preferred him as our bench is dire and I do mean dire. A bench of Rafa, Nani, Pedro, Hernandez would do wonders for this team. Wonders. So I wouldn't be concerned what he's doing at Chelsea. It's never easy coming into a troubled environment and over a period of time, he will his fair share of points.

Trizy

Judging Pedro in a United top and what he would bring to United, is different to judging him in a Chelsea shirt. Our needs are different. We require different things.
Good point.

Anyway as for how he's been for Chelsea: I'm not convinced, even if he was running at either of our full backs I wouldn't be afraid one bit.