g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pedro at Chelsea

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The hysteria when we didn't sign him by a lot of posters was ridiculous. He was apparently the catalyst we needed to challenge for the league and European honours.

Good player but massively overrated by a lot on here.
It was correct. I think he would be better at United and even that chance he missed yesterday - the play up until that point was very good. He would have been a good player but this was pre Martial wasn't it? In hindsight, I don't think Pedro would have got us playing any better then Martial has. I would have preferred shifting one or two and get Pedro in their rather then Valencia but beggers can't be choosers.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The shit was deserved surrounding Pedro ( not Martial)
It seems like we were foot dragging waiting on Martial. It's hard to be too critical in hindsight. We do have one or two turds still to flush and besides - I'm sure Jose would sell him to us if he wanted to come here ;)

Ole240599

Went to the Everton vs Chelsea prior to see us against Liverpool (later that day) and I was impressed. He didn't have an outstanding game but you could see his pace and willingness to make incisive passes. That said, Maureenio took him off and my impression is that he may loose patience with the fact that Pedro will take time to adapt to the EPL and that to succeed he probably needs to bulk (toughen) up.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
The hysteria when we didn't sign him by a lot of posters was ridiculous. He was apparently the catalyst we needed to challenge for the league and European honours.

Good player but massively overrated by a lot on here.
He still would've been a decent player to have even if just for cover for Mata/Rooney/Martial and would've worked in our system.

But if the decision was between buying the finished article in Pedro or gambling on Martial I'm obviously glad we gambled.

Jagga7

He still would've been a decent player to have even if just for cover for Mata/Rooney/Martial and would've worked in our system.

But if the decision was between buying the finished article in Pedro or gambling on Martial I'm obviously glad we gambled.
He would have been a good squad player. But a lot of people on here were acting as if he was the player who would transform our team, it was pretty absurd.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
The shit was deserved surrounding Pedro ( not Martial)
How so? Most of the shit seemed to be because people thought we were too stingy to pay the price for him when actually van Gaal was unsure about signing him.

VanGaalEra

As cover? I don't think he would have liked trading the Barca bench for our bench.

Wherever he moved, I'm sure he was told he was guaranteed to start. I'm more then happy with Mata ahead of him tbh.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
He makes the right runs, but then so do Memphis and Young.

He wasn't needed, particularly with Martial on the way.

Kag

I like Pedro and I'd probably still take him for the given fee right now, but the circus that followed our apparent failure to bring him in was ridiculous.

He's a very good player, but he didn't merit that kind of overreaction.

legball

He's a good player, but that's where it ends. He's not someone that can take the initiative like Alexis, or Di Maria, so, I was not fussed that we didn't sign him. The reaction here and on twitter was over the top though, you'd think we missed out on Messi. Still a good player & will contribute quite a lot to Chelsea.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's a good player, but that's where it ends. He's not someone that can take the initiative like Alexis, or Di Maria, so, I was not fussed that we didn't sign him. The reaction here and on twitter was over the top though, you'd think we missed out on Messi. Still a good player & will contribute quite a lot to Chelsea.
I'd rather have Mane but Pedro is good and I agree with you on Alexis and Di Maria

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
It's his fault he isn't affecting the game as much. He is making the runs but nobody is capable of picking him out it seems. Oscar and Willian haven't got an ounce of creativity between them, Hazard doesn't look interested in taking any sort of risks with the ball and Fabregas is too busy chasing the ball around to get his head up and pick a pass.

Raw

I don't think he's suited to this Chelsea team. I'd still take him now, we need more depth on the wings and his style can fit into LVGs team quite easily.

Still, I'm not too upset about the whole thing now.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
It's his fault he isn't affecting the game as much. He is making the runs but nobody is capable of picking him out it seems. Oscar and Willian haven't got an ounce of creativity between them, Hazard doesn't look interested in taking any sort of risks with the ball and Fabregas is too busy chasing the ball around to get his head up and pick a pass.
Picked him out a peach yesterday and his finish was embarrassing

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Picked him out a peach yesterday and his finish was embarrassing
It was one chance in the game. We need that repeatedly all game but he isn't doing it. There were numerous chances for our creative plays to slip in the forwards but they refused (Hazards run before Newcastles second comes to mind) for some insane reason. Blaming the attackers for not scoring the solitary chances they get against relegation teams is harsh. I do agree though that Pedro needs to improve his efficiency in front of goal.

cyberman

I'd keep Young over Pedro.
All this nonsense about transforming this and that, he's been invisible. How he's benching Willian is mind boggling.

Jerch

We done right thing not buying him. He was highly rated by some posters on the Caf because they thought he is just the right player for us, quick and can dribble. Hell many even wanted Mane.

But in reality he wouldn't be an upgrade on Mata, not even that, I think he would never match stats Mata is producing. So I think LVG probably thought that it is not worth paying 22m pounds, which is not a small amount of money, on a squad player.

He didn't impressed me so far at Chelsea but it is still to early to judge.

fatboy

In the context of the summer transfers, 22m wasn't astronomical, and for a player of his experience (especially in CL), it seemed a fair price. It's still early days, and he may yet become a key player for them. He's only ever played professionally for one league and one club, so it's fair to expect he'll take time to adapt.

I also suspect he might have adapted quicker to our/LvG's system, as compared to Chelsea.

RedRover

We done right thing not buying him. He was highly rated by some posters on the Caf because they thought he is just the right player for us, quick and can dribble. Hell many even wanted Mane.

But in reality he wouldn't be an upgrade on Mata, not even that, I think he would never match stats Mata is producing. So I think LVG probably thought that it is not worth paying 22m pounds, which is not a small amount of money, on a squad player.

He didn't impressed me so far at Chelsea but it is still to early to judge.
He'd offer another option for us and for the money he cost he was a no brainer. I still think Mata's best position is number 10, not out wide.

Pedro isn't and never has been a world beater but he's very neat and tidy, knows where the goal is, has loads of experience and as he can play in a variety of positions he'd have been a very useful option to have. As it stands we have little cover out wide or upfront and he'd have provided that - all for what is a small fee by modern standards. His value to us would have been evident over a long season when injuries and inevitable dips in form from the likes of Memphis and Martial happen - especially with games in Europe and midweek cup matches.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Amidst the general consensus that our most talented youngsters, Wilson and Pereira, haven't had enough games so far this season it seems even more obvious now that Pedro really wasn't needed. If Januzaj continues as he's started at Dortmund he might also be in contention to come back and have a big impact, if and when we need a bit more depth in attack. So yeah, I rate Pedro and was excited when it looked like we might sign him but I'm perfectly happy with the way things turned out. Looks like it was for the best.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Pedro would have improved our squad I think that's obvious.
Right now with everyone fit we are fine and in fairness I wouldn't like to leave Mata out. Whereas initially I was thinking he would start with Mata as when we were linked there was no martial

But let's hope our lack of depth doesn't get found out later in the season.

RooneyLegend

Think you'll find him being poor will continue to be a regular occurrence. Just never ever saw what people saw in him.

AR87

Good player. Would have liked to have had him here, but was never that devastated about missing out on him especially if he wanted assurances over match time. In fact if he was looking for guaranteed playing time and the like I can see that potentially having been the sticking point.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Didn't go so well for this guy, did it? Left Barca for more playing time and now they've got no one to play in attack and rely on youngsters, while he's in the most miserable club in England currently. I almost feel sorry for him.

InfiniteBoredom

Didn't go so well for this guy, did it? Left Barca for more playing time and now they've got no one to play in attack and rely on youngsters, while he's in the most miserable club in England currently. I almost feel sorry for him.
Don't buy the playing time argument. He was their clear 4th choice attackers. In a 55-60 games season it'd mean at least 20 starts and another 20-25 subs. It's not too shabby, and that's already discounting the possibility of long term injury to one of the front 3.

I think it was about the money. He needs one last big payday and playing for the English champions, having his wage doubled while being the clear 1st choice must be hard to resist.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
When we were first seriously linked with him I said at the time that he is a player who would be a squad/role player at any of the other big clubs in Europe. Obviosuly early days but, seems to be the case with him at Chelsea so far.