Pep - Doping (?) | Are PEDs being used by footballers

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
The teams who got relegated still get there money, but were still relegated. I just wouldn't feel comfortable messing with players health for ultimately no reward anyway. They might get players back quicker from injury, or enhance their reflexes slightly etc, but a rubbish footballer is still a rubbish footballer.
This makes no sense whatsoever.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The teams who got relegated still get there money, but were still relegated. I just wouldn't feel comfortable messing with players health for ultimately no reward anyway. They might get players back quicker from injury, or enhance their reflexes slightly etc, but a rubbish footballer is still a rubbish footballer.
Messing with players health :lol:

PEDs are not dangerous unless they are gravely misused or a player has a pre-existing condition.

A good drug protocol is extremely difficult to get hurt from. 99% of players will be off the PEDs when they retire and live like nothing happened.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This makes no sense whatsoever.
From a technical point of view a rubbish footballer will remain a rubbish footballer whether under the affects of PED's or not, thus consuming them is a pointless risk not worth taking. Makes perfect sence actually.

Classical Mechanic

Messing with players health :lol:

PEDs are not dangerous unless they are gravely misused or a player has a pre-existing condition.

A good drug protocol is extremely difficult to get hurt from. 99% of players will be off the PEDs when they retire and live like nothing happened.
What did you make of the spike in on pitch deaths from heart related problems in Spain in the 00s?

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/my...umber-of-footballing-deaths-in-spain-1.369924

Thanks. I usually do talk rubbish though.:)
For individual players of lower quality the motivation would be to improve performance in order to win a contract at a higher level, the financial rewards of doing this are significant.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What did you make of the spike in on pitch deaths from heart related problems in Spain in the 00s?

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/my...umber-of-footballing-deaths-in-spain-1.369924
Impossible to say without a behind the scenes look into what was actually happening.

This could be a bad practice at the time (eg poor screening, or use of an untested drug). This could just be a spike in on pitch deaths unrelated to drugs. I don't think we'll ever know if its drug related unless someone whistleblows.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
From a technical point of view a rubbish footballer will remain a rubbish footballer whether under the affects of PED's or not, thus consuming them is a pointless risk not worth taking. Makes perfect sence actually.
I mean it sill doesn’t. PED’s can improve performance regardless of base level.

If it’s good enough to improve your “rubbish” footballers to a level beyond the “rubbish” teams your competing with at the bottom then you may survive. The idea that the stakes are less significant at the bottom is also ridiculous, with the opposite being closer to the truth.

Doesn’t matter if it’s Champions League, Championship or 5 a sides. PED’s make a significant difference.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

If it’s good enough to improve your “rubbish” footballers to a level beyond the “rubbish” teams your competing with at the bottom then you may survive. The idea that the stakes are less significant at the bottom is also ridiculous, with the opposite being closer to the truth.

Doesn’t matter if it’s Champions League, Championship or 5 a sides. PED’s make a significant difference.
They've discounted what is basically 90% of football (off the ball) which is the physical aspect of it. Covering ground, recovery runs, foot races, physical battles, these are the fundamentals of football.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It wouldn't be shocking at all if teams like Barca (the Pep sides atleast), City and RM are caught doping.

RM has been playing 60+ games I think for the past few seasons - they are playing club WC during the winter break and you hardly see any fatigue in their sides. They have decent depth but not sort of depth that results in their players playing these many games (including internationals) without injuries to major players.

I mean look at Ronaldo. Sure he is a freak of nature but his pace, his fitness and jumping reach even now are probably of Olympic athlete standards. He has football training for half a day and then to maintain yourself to this extent seems impossible. For comparison, just look at Bolt and Phelps- 2 of the best athletes this generation. Their training was based in gym a lot more than CR7 and they declined way sooner. but here we have CR7 who has stamina of a swimmer, pace of a sprinter, jumps like a high jumper and the power he generates is of a cyclist

Ditto for Pep's Barcelona sides.

TBH there is only one reason why I feel City may have doped and that is due to Silva's contribution this season. He's 32 and he ran his socks off and still played a hell lot of games. The guy has never run this much and suddenly in his early-mid 30s he gets this sort of stamina. Everyone knows that you are going to decline in your 30s, physically atleast but he seems to be peaking

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
They've discounted what is basically 90% of football (off the ball) which is the physical aspect of it. Covering ground, recovery runs, foot races, physical battles, these are the fundamentals of football.
Plus it also helps with executing skills and decision making, both of which are much easier to perform if you aren’t as tired.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

The numbers are too low to draw any real statistically significant conclusions. Genetics plays a factor in sudden cardiac death but so does a lot of other things. Spain looked at changing its medical screening procedures but couldn't find an answer there - in the end they concluded that supplying and standardising their pitchside medical support (CPR kit, defrib and resuscitation traing etc) would do more. It's saved a few lives since, mostly in junior, amateur and semi-pro leagues, but it saved at least one pro player, Miguel Garcia of Betis.

At any rate FIFA agreed to take over the correlation of deaths/incidents/medical reports and to try and analyse the global picture and come up with a statement of risk factors and best practice. I've never actually seen any results from that though. FIFA eh.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Plus it also helps with executing skills and decision making, both of which are much easier to perform if you aren’t as tired.
You are right. Football players run a ridiculous amount during a game, all while retaining the correct level of concentration to actually play the game.

To suggest that PEDs won't matter because of the 'skill' or 'technical' level of the game is nonsensical.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

That depends massively on the type of PED you choose to consume. So just to clarify, are you talking about natural dietary supplements such as vitamins and minerals or protein shakes which only have a minor impact over time or are you talking about the harder stuff like steroids (specifically that of the anabolic kind)?

Classical Mechanic

The numbers are too low to draw any real statistically significant conclusions. Genetics plays a factor in sudden cardiac death but so does a lot of other things. Spain looked at changing its medical screening procedures but couldn't find an answer there - in the end they concluded that supplying and standardising their pitchside medical support (CPR kit, defrib and resuscitation traing etc) would do more. It's saved a few lives since, mostly in junior, amateur and semi-pro leagues, but it saved at least one pro player, Miguel Garcia of Betis.

At any rate FIFA agreed to take over the correlation of deaths/incidents/medical reports and to try and analyse the global picture and come up with a statement of risk factors and best practice. I've never actually seen any results from that though. FIFA eh.
I'm not saying that it's proof of doping but it is concerning given all the noise around that era of Spanish football and the effects that EPO in particular can have on the heart. Genetics do play a part. African and Asian people are more likely to suffer from congenital heart defects than Western Europeans I believe. I'm not sure if that's the case for Spanish people too.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
That depends massively on the type of PED you choose to consume. So just to clarify, are you talking about natural dietary supplements such as vitamins and minerals or protein shakes which only have a minor impact over time or are you talking about the harder stuff like steroids (specifically that of the anabolic kind)?
Obviously the harder stuff.

PED’s a bit of a stupid term which is only used because traditional steroids are no longer the drug of choice. Nefarious methods of enhancement such a growth hormone and blood doping are examples. There’s a wide variety of illegal substances/methods which will have different effects and I’m sure some players/teams get more from what they use than others.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I was talking to a mate of mine the other day that is into body building big time, and I mentioned this subject to him.

He himself has gone off the HGH and partially the roids due to this thing called 'peptides' (no pun intended). He says he heals quicker, grows more, endure more, shed fat easily etc., basically all the ups of HGH minus the bones and organs growing. As he explained to me there are basically a peptide for everything, be it growth, endurance, strength, shedding fat, restituation etc.

He explained to me that these peptides are basically protein-chains combined a certain way, so they are extremely hard to detect. Also they are extremely short acting with zero half-life, so they just shoot up at very certain times like 30 minutes pre and post workout etc.

This might be what footballers are shooting up with.

Last edited:

Steven7290

I was talking to a mate of mine the other day that is into body building big time, and I mentioned this subject to him.

He himself has gone off the HGH and partially the roids due to this thing called 'peptides' (no pun intended). He says he heals quicker, grows more, endure more, shed fat easily etc., basically all the ups of HGH minus the bones and organs growing. As he explained to me there are basically a peptide for everything, be it growth, endurance, strength, shedding fat, restituation etc.

He explained to me that these peptides are basically protein-chains combined a certain way, so they are extremely hard to detect. Also they are extremely short acting with zero half-life, so they just shoot up at very certain times like 30 minutes pre and post workout etc.

I dont know what the difference in this "peptides" is but any string of two or more amino acids is called a peptide. Going by that logic, just ... eat meat.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I dont know what the difference in this "peptides" is but any string of two or more amino acids is called a peptide. Going by that logic, just ... eat meat.
I didn't name it, it is what it is called. And going by what I've read and talking to this BB guy the effects are a whole lot more than eating some meat.

https://www.dmarge.com/2017/10/peptides.html

In the world of health and fitness peptides are used and recommended for increased energy, burning fat, building muscle and improving athletic ability.

If you think of a hormone as a tree made up of many protein branches and even more peptide twigs, it’s easy to see how a hormone can have many side-effects if used wrongly.

Peptides on the other hand are much smaller and have been designed to stimulate specific receptors for growth hormone so you can tailor your results.

Essentially, they can be used for muscle gain or weight loss, recovery, reduced inflammation and are at the forefront of lots of new individual specific treatments for a range of disorders.
You can see how it would be interesting to athletes.

Vanya

Yeah peptides usually have a very short half life and aren't stable in blood plasma for too long. They can be used to start a chain reaction/Cascade of signals that can initiate cell growth (muscle cells for example) and they can do that in a matter of seconds and no trace of them gets left behind.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
City players apart from de bruyne look a bit crap technically without Pep's set up... Pogba, Lukaku on the other hand are doing extremely well for their countries heh heh heh...

padr81

Supports
Man City
City players apart from de bruyne look a bit crap technically without Pep's set up... Pogba, Lukaku on the other hand are doing extremely well for their countries heh heh heh...
John Stones has been fantastic so far, especially on the ball.

Vanya

Of course not, but the term "Peptides" doesn't really provide any insightful information as any proteins, hormones, etc. can also be called peptides.
Yes it doesnt provide enough info. But your statement about "eating meat" didn't make sense since peptides in meat dont necessarily provide the same signals to the cell that for example a synthetically made peptide that stimulates cell growth can. That's my point.

I use short peptides to kill cancer cells in the lab. Doesn't mean if I threw a piece of meat on them they would die all the same.

Steven7290

Yes it doesnt provide enough info. But your statement about "eating meat" didn't make sense since peptides in meat dont necessarily provide the same signals to the cell that for example a synthetically made peptide that stimulates cell growth can. That's my point.

I use short peptides to kill cancer cells in the lab. Doesn't mean if I threw a piece of meat on them they would die all the same.
Maybe I didn't articulate my point clearly enough. I meant if you're just saying "peptides" then by definition I could see the equivalent in eating some meat.

But yes, we used to use certain peptides to inhibit toxin production in B. anthracis, possibly not too much different in mechanism from what you're doing.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It wouldn't be shocking at all if teams like Barca (the Pep sides atleast), City and RM are caught doping.

RM has been playing 60+ games I think for the past few seasons - they are playing club WC during the winter break and you hardly see any fatigue in their sides. They have decent depth but not sort of depth that results in their players playing these many games (including internationals) without injuries to major players.

I mean look at Ronaldo. Sure he is a freak of nature but his pace, his fitness and jumping reach even now are probably of Olympic athlete standards. He has football training for half a day and then to maintain yourself to this extent seems impossible. For comparison, just look at Bolt and Phelps- 2 of the best athletes this generation. Their training was based in gym a lot more than CR7 and they declined way sooner. but here we have CR7 who has stamina of a swimmer, pace of a sprinter, jumps like a high jumper and the power he generates is of a cyclist

Ditto for Pep's Barcelona sides.

TBH there is only one reason why I feel City may have doped and that is due to Silva's contribution this season. He's 32 and he ran his socks off and still played a hell lot of games. The guy has never run this much and suddenly in his early-mid 30s he gets this sort of stamina. Everyone knows that you are going to decline in your 30s, physically atleast but he seems to be peaking
This is always blown out of proportion. Ronaldo is fast and all, and blows a lot of players out of the park but compared to an olympic level jumper or runner it is not even close how much further they would be.

Ronaldo is just physically fitter than many players and technically on a world above them. Same for Pep's Barca sides. They were just technically above everyone around them.

Vanya

Maybe I didn't articulate my point clearly enough. I meant if you're just saying "peptides" then by definition I could see the equivalent in eating some meat.

But yes, we used to use certain peptides to inhibit toxin production in B. anthracis, possibly not too much different in mechanism from what you're doing.
Cool! Always nice to talk to a fellow scientist!

Peptides by definition don't imply that they are naturally occuring though. They could be completely synthetic or could be a modified/synthetic form of a naturally ocurring peptide that does something more or entirely different from it's naturally occuring form. Your statement implies that every peptide directly or indirectly required for muscle growth is contained within meat. That is not the case.

For example we use a naturally occuring peptide found in blood plasma and modify it by a few amino acids and its impact on cancer cells is completely different when compared to the naturally ocurring one.

Anyway I do understand that the original statement you were commenting on was vague.

SpyLuke10

This is always blown out of proportion. Ronaldo is fast and all, and blows a lot of players out of the park but compared to an olympic level jumper or runner it is not even close how much further they would be.

Ronaldo is just physically fitter than many players and technically on a world above them. Same for Pep's Barca sides. They were just technically above everyone around them.
I agree. No way is Ronaldo even comparable in these traits to the best athletes in the sports where they are the most important.

I agree. No way is Ronaldo even comparable in these traits to the best athletes in the sports where they are the most important.
Ronaldo raced against a sprinter for a TV show. He was miles away from the sprinter, who himself was miles away from the level of the top guys in the 100m. As you'd expect really.

VanGaalyTime

Not sure about all this. There's just rumours right now, based on City players coming back from injury earlier than expected. It's hard to know how much is just better science and how much is cheating. One area of investigation might be Leroy Sane - came back from an injury about a month earlier than expected, and then for some reason Germany don't pick him for the World Cup squad. But again, that's just conjecture and there's nothing proven.

T_Model101

Testing in every sport takes years to catch up
But it does seem significant how few tests seem to take place in football & how often we hear "roids don't improve performance in a sport like football"

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Not sure about all this. There's just rumours right now, based on City players coming back from injury earlier than expected. It's hard to know how much is just better science and how much is cheating. One area of investigation might be Leroy Sane - came back from an injury about a month earlier than expected, and then for some reason Germany don't pick him for the World Cup squad. But again, that's just conjecture and there's nothing proven.

So why did Jesus and Kompany take longer to come back from injury? Are they not worth the magic pills