Pep - Doping (?) | Are PEDs being used by footballers

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He is a United fan but articles and bits and pieces can be easily found..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-Pep-Guardiolas-failed-drug-test-in-2001.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39383967
https://thelongballtactic.wordpress...arcelona-and-the-lance-armstrong-doping-case/
And when he fell out with Bayern medical staff (as he couldn't employ his own).. https://sports.ndtv.com/football/pep-guardiola-clashes-with-bayern-munich-medical-staff-1484384

Problem is the lack of concrete evidence. This is most likely why clubs aren't pushing this further. I do think there is definitely a connection though. Some great examples have been used in this thread alone.
Fair enough. Just making sure it wasn't an "Agent X" type thing... that's probably Pep's twitter handle though.

Classical Mechanic

Happy to stand corrected, but these people were masking their use of substance and if you can do that there is no point in missing a test.

Again being a complete layman here I understood the anti-doping development to be that anti-doping authorities are now in a better position to recognize masking substances so BALCO/Jones wouldn't be possible today. From there I concluded that masking isn't a viable option anymore, since you cannot fix it by missing a test and supplementing the masking substance for the next one. If that wasn't to be the case then I can see what City could have done.

Maybe I wasn't clear I think people should take the offence from City very serious indeed. I just didn't see what big thing they could possibly be doing with that and I took the rather mild sanction fromt he FA as further adding to that point.
For your first point I addressed that:

City could have found players to be testing positive in their internal tests and failed to let testers know when they could be tested to avoid being caught, as a simple example.

For your second point: simply no, Gaitlin has once again had the spotlight shined on him for doping but he is testing clean. It is a game of cat and mouse, an arms race of medical technology if you will. But that is where ducking dope tests works for a doper, an internal test find you over limit, ducking helps you escape. That is why it is seen as so serious in other sports.

@Gio

Not sure what you have been reading, try this.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2017/04/25/sharapova-guardiola-doping-darkness-and-light-250401/

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
A thread about Pep doping himself & his players, a thread without any actual evidence yet permissible. If the premise were true, then wouldn't all the players he's ever coached or seen do well under him be implicated as well? If player A, say as in KDB, who was marginalized by one coach (Mou) somehow became invaluable years later under Pep it has be down to the doping?

Or is the premise that the player who was found innocent of doping somehow able to get his teams playing great football by doping all of them? I guess that means Bayern are a level below now because they no longer benefit from said doping?
It's selective doping don't you know? It only kicks in when the team's dominating. Last year he was giving them Sandoz tablets instead sadly.

Treble

How would you prove something like this though without a proper investigation from officials? Something that wouldn't just be done on other clubs saying so.
That's the crux of the matter. You can't single out City for a proper investigation without having a proper reason to do it. And there is no proper reason because no Guardiola player has ever been tested positive for doping. Doping rumours are surronding most great athletes, including Usain Bolt. City stats about distance covered are pretty ordinary and they do not make much more sprints than the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Arsenal, etc. Because of the way they play - mostly in the opposition half - they do not need to make lengthy sprints.

Imagine the pressure on the FA to do something against City if the other big clubs are convinced that something is wrong. Imagine the same with Real and La Liga when Barca dominated. Or Dortmund, Schalke, etc. Chances are, any club uses doping withing certain limits. This is why there aren't many positive tests for doping in footbal, at least not related to the big clubs.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Whereabouts protocol are there so athletes can't duck tests in order to get their doping cycles right. In athletics such breaches can lead to a competition ban. Football doesn't seem to care about it for some reason.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30312875

Thiago Alcantara also breached the rules three times whilst Pep was at Bayern.
Interesting, in other sports you breach that rule three times in 12-18 months as an individual athlete you get a doping ban.

Javi

I'm thinking more of this forum and legal issues as it's all speculation for now.
I don't there can be legal issues but still given the evidence it would be more precise and there is nothing wrong with that so I agree with placing a question mark.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
To those saying that “everyone does it”

Why is Pep the only one who has a history of these claims, and breaches and fines?
I mean it’s followed him for nearly 20 years - that can’t be a coincidence.

Are there any other managers/players/doctors etc who have a similar history?

Didsbury Dan

Supports
Man City
Guardiola’s Barcelona breached the ‘whereabouts’ rule
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pep-guardiolas-barcelona-breached-the-whereabouts-rule-wrqwrf78n

Manchester City broke anti-doping rules three times in less than five months
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39383967
Did you read what the actual infractions were:

"A first-team player missed a test on 1 September 2016 because the hotel address provided was no longer correct.

In addition, City also failed to inform the FA of an extra first-team training session on 12 July 2016, while anti-doping officials were unable to test reserve players on 7 December, 2016 because six of them had been given the day off without the FA being informed."

So one guy moved house, or to a house from the hotel he'd be living at.

City didn't tell the FA that they'd put a second training session in one day in pre-season.

And six players had been given a rest day the day after a game.

It's clerically clumsy though hardly suspicious is it.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
There's no way only a few clubs are doping. If City are, then all the top clubs are.

Womp

idiot
There's no way only a few clubs are doping. If City are, then all the top clubs are.
I really don't understand this argument. Just because the Russians keep getting caught for doping, doesn't mean all countries are.

Oakie

I thought Barca/Spain were on some thing especially with the blood tests being destroyed by Spanish courts that always bothered me.

I do see a big increase from the entire team even sterling is shrugging of people for fun they certainly was not this fit last year lets say...

Its only teams pep manages that seem to do this also they suddenly turn into never injured monsters but i could be just bitter after 2 cl final losses, But then again i would not be shocked if it came out as true as i dont see how coaching helps people like sterling who ive watched for years suddenly strong and running like Park all game.

Womp

idiot
That's the crux of the matter. You can't single out City for a proper investigation without having a proper reason to do it. And there is no proper reason because no Guardiola player has ever been tested positive for doping. Doping rumours are surronding most great athletes, including Usain Bolt. City stats about distance covered are pretty ordinary and they do not make much more sprints than the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Arsenal, etc. Because of the way they play - mostly in the opposition half - they do not need to make lengthy sprints.

Imagine the pressure on the FA to do something against City if the other big clubs are convinced that something is wrong. Imagine the same with Real and La Liga when Barca domonated. Or Dortmund, Schalke, etc. Chances are, any club uses doping withing certain limits.
Which is a valid point, but with a history behind him, it's certainly debatable. Missing check-ups iirc is a very important issue in other sports, something that isn't nearly as important in football for some reason.

It's been shown time and again in multiple sports there's no smoke without fire when it comes to doping. It may never be proven but these stories have always followed Pep wherever he has been.

I'll always believe that Barcelona/Spain team were at it, the scandal with Fuentes and how their performances rose and dropped with it was all too convenient.

Didsbury Dan

Supports
Man City
If this is true and there is enough evidence to make a compelling case, why aren't United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs doing something to stop it?
Because there's no evidence to make a compelling case even if you consider the tweets to be true.

They talk about Pep as a player and a doctor he had as a player and a manager.

All players are tested post game, what exactly would you like United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal to say?

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Changed in fairness of the forum
Thanks. I've no issue with people discussing it by the way, and fans are always going to speculate. I've had my own suspicions about the 5000-1 winners of the Premier League a couple of seasons back, though I don't have outright proof, and I think it would be naive to say that nobody in football is doping.

NYAS

I’ve been thinking all season that what De Bruyne is doing this year stamina-wise is just abnormal.

And he was never like that.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I really don't understand this argument. Just because the Russians keep getting caught for doping, doesn't mean all countries are.
No, it just means they haven't been caught yet.

With the money and pressure to win in football why would the richest clubs not dope? Why would it only be Pep?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
So does this mean CL 2009 will be awarded to us now!?

Great!

Javi

For your first point I addressed that:

City could have found players to be testing positive in their internal tests and failed to let testers know when they could be tested to avoid being caught, as a simple example.

For your second point: simply no, Gaitlin has once again had the spotlight shined on him for doping but he is testing clean. It is a game of cat and mouse, an arms race of medical technology if you will. But that is where ducking dope tests works for a doper, an internal test find you over limit, ducking helps you escape. That is why it is seen as so serious in other sports.
I read what you adressed but it doesn't really relate to what I said. When using doping the key rule is obviously don't have the test recognize it. You can either a.) use a substance that the tests don't show, or b.) use one that can be masked. So City missing the test on purpose only makes sense if they forgot to give their players the masking substance. As I wrote in the post you quoted I was led to believe that masking isn't a viable tactic anymore because anti-doping authorities cought up in that regard so only a.) is legit. I can see that this is simplified and not accurate now.

BULB

There are various peptides you can take that 'push the boundaries' so to speak. They call it 'sports science'. It's disgusting as it involves many needles and blood tests to constantly monitor.

I don't think any manager would be stupid enough to give their players anabolic steroids.

I have been quietly very suspicious of Real Madrid the last few years when you compare their first half to the season to the back half.

On a positive note, I don't think Man Utd are at risk of any positive tests anytime soon..

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
It's very strange how his Man City team seem to be so fresh week in week out despite playing midweek matches. Their match intensity does not change as well - you get everyone running and hounding with their pressing, like mad dogs - I don't think it's natural. Even Liverpool with their gegenpress have noticeably tired during matches and are not as fresh week in week out.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's clerically clumsy though hardly suspicious is it.
Yeah, easy excuse eh?

An independent regulatory commission hearing was critical of City's failure to meet their obligations and heed warnings.

"It is no less concerning that in this case, despite the club being made aware of their breaches on two previous occasions [and] the resources available to the club, they failed to deal with these and implement a system to correct this,"
Easy to blame ""administrative errors"

Judas

Open to offers
I don't really get how players stamina and ability to run can get so totally transformed naturally, eating more greens or a simple change in exercises? It's a little odd. It's not like we're talking about unfit people being turned into people in shape. They were already prime athletes.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
With the level of scrutiny in today's football I think it's almost impossible to take PED today. Maybe I'm naive, but the risk is just too big — will Man City owners risk hundreds of millions of pounds for a silverware that will be taken away after the whole affair got uncovered?

It wouldn't surprise me to think of such plot in the 60's (take Herrera's Inter and Barca, for example, with consistent rumour of "magic pills"), even in the 90's, but in the era of social media it would've been impossible to keep a thing like this quiet.

Won't be too disappointed if I'm to be proven wrong though :lol: 2 additional CL titles will also be welcomed :angel:
What if.... everyone is in on it, and exposing it would bring the football world to its knees?

What if... some clubs, in this same drug race, simply have better doctors and chemists than other clubs?

It's long since been thought that football is like F1 in terms of construction teams... just that the cars are not cars... if you follow.

With billions on the line, there's no way the general public will ever know the truth. It's probably for the best, too.

Dr. StrangeHate

Well that would retrospectively settle the Messi vs Ronaldo debate in the saddest way.

Something to be said in our favour, with our injury problems every single season, we must be fairly honest! ;)
There is a reason we have a zombie football thread and all our players not having the ball just stand still. I am fairly certain we are dop(e)ing. dope means weed

JoaquinJoaquin

Thanks. I've no issue with people discussing it by the way, and fans are always going to speculate. I've had my own suspicions about the 5000-1 winners of the Premier League a couple of seasons back, though I don't have outright proof, and I think it would be naive to say that nobody in football is doping.
Fair enough then mate, Thought you just being one of those that can't have any sort of bad word being said about Pep. So many touchy people around these days :D.

Classical Mechanic

I read what you adressed but it doesn't really relate to what I said. When using doping the key rule is obviously don't have the test recognize it. You can either a.) use a substance that the tests don't show, or b.) use one that can be masked. So City missing the test on purpose only makes sense if they forgot to give their players the masking substance. As I wrote in the post you quoted I was led to believe that masking isn't a viable tactic anymore because anti-doping authorities cought up in that regard so only a.) is legit. I can see that this is simplified and not accurate now.
Come on Javi, that is how athletes get caught, by messing up the cycles, or the body reacting differently to expected etc.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I thought Barca/Spain were on some thing especially with the blood tests being destroyed by Spanish courts that always bothered me.
From the public statements given by Fuentes, like also working with tennis and football stars, and how the whole "trial" played out, you can put 2+2 together. It´s not rocket science. Which players or achievements would the Spanish government protect like a national treasure they do not want to be tainted? Btw guys can´t wait for the World Cup.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
We probably tried doping but dealers thought we were narcs using a fax machine to place orders.

Javi

To those saying that “everyone does it”

Why is Pep the only one who has a history of these claims, and breaches and fines?
I mean it’s followed him for nearly 20 years - that can’t be a coincidence.

Are there any other managers/players/doctors etc who have a similar history?
I'm sure he's not the only one but you're jumping the ship there if you take that history to claim he has always been doping and is doing it right now.

Also you're failing to address the actual point people make when they say 'everyone does it' which isn't based on everybody having a history but on circumstantial points like Pep being at different clubs with differents docs dealing with different players. Surely Bayern players would take notice that they are missing something coincidentially since Pep has gone? You think former clubs and former players were happy to let Pep win against them (he played Barça with both City and Bayern) by doping and not saying a word? Given the money involved especially in the PL everybody is trying to have the best medical treatment and using substances the best possible way is an important aspect I don't see other clubs not trying to maximize their output from.

Didsbury Dan

Supports
Man City
Should have 24/7 drug testing in football. During the season the drug testers should be notified of your whereabouts (if you've decided to jet off to another country) and allowed to turn up randomly to do blood and urine testing.
Erm, that happens though.

But then again i would not be shocked if it came out as true as i dont see how coaching helps people like sterling who ive watched for years suddenly strong and running like Park all game.
Come off it fella, Sterling is 22 and fit as a fiddle, he's not running around any more now than he did at Liverpool, it's just he can shoot straight some times now.

Another City thread. This place is like a Manchester City advent calendar.
Very good.

Yeah, easy excuse eh?

Again, look at the actual infractions, a player moved, an EXTRA session was added (how that would increase the chances of getting away with taking PEDs I don't know, maybe you can explain, and six RESERVE players were given a day off without the FA being informed. Reserve players.

So yes, fair to say administrative errors can be blamed. It's not like the testers arrived and one of our players did one out of the back door and went shopping with his phone off.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah, easy excuse eh?

The club have since put things in place to try and prevent these administrative errors from happening in future - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-appoint-dedicated-staff-update-drug-testers/

Personally, I think they were just that - administrative errors. One of them involved 6 reserve players being given the day off. Not much point in our second string players doping is there? That said, even if they were indeed just administrative errors I'll admit it's pretty fooking amateurish