Pep - Doping (?) | Are PEDs being used by footballers

manc exile

Supports
City
All i'm trying to say with my last point is that, for me, there's something romantic about big teams winning big trophies.

Liverpool winning the CL, United winning the CL, Barcelona.. It's a big deal. Huge clubs steeped with histories of some of the best players the world has seen. It's movie worthy.

City or Chelsea winning it is not. People will look and say "wow brilliant bunch" but it's not romantic, it doesn't do football any good. Ask people around the World about the most memorable CL campaign and very few will say Chelsea winning it. It's forgettable, a skip year. Like city winning it would be after all was set and done.

whereas I think the exact opposite. If its not united winning, then the best and most memorable CL years are when an underdog wins or reaches the final.
For example Forests two wins (yes I am that old), Villa winning, Belgardes win in the early 90's (even with their negative football), Leverkusen reaching the final, Porto winning and to a lesser extent chelsea (lesser only cause I really hate chelsea).

The big teams winning are just meh to me except when its some milestone like Reals Decima etc.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
whereas I think the exact opposite. If its not united winning, then the best and most memorable CL years are when an underdog wins or reaches the final.
For example Forests two wins (yes I am that old), Villa winning, Belgardes win in the early 90's (even with their negative football), Leverkusen reaching the final, Porto winning and to a lesser extent chelsea (lesser only cause I really hate chelsea).

The big teams winning are just meh to me except when its some milestone like Reals Decima etc.
La Decima also meh. United '99 and Liverpool 05 were memorable because of circumstances, other than that, I was very happy when Dortmund, Inter Milan, to some extent Porto and Chelsea won it.

Shaw_Guy

Supports
Man City
When i was young i played against the young Spanish Handball team. This was in the early 2000´s. I´m a big guy but the kids were bullying me. They were explosive, strong, fast and big. I was very surprised and try to get some information with them. Didn´t get anything but i stay curious. At that time i tried to speak with a lot of people about that and i got the feedback that they were working a lot with supplements, specially creatine (good for power and explosion, but not for endurance). The kids weren´t doing heavy stuff, but they were already, doing supplements in a Sport that desn´t really have a lot of money and besides big leagues, players don´t get a lot of money. They were already ahead.
At some point there was a lot of talks about Blood Doping. Transfusions. EPO, factors that stimulate EPO and all of that stuff.
A lot of people possibly did that, but with the increasing work of doping agencies, people start to get caught.
So to question was simple: What to do?
How can you "work your blood" legally?
How can we simulate Hypoxic conditions?
What´s the variables? Temperature, Pressure,Intensity?
Everybody start to go into the variable "pressure". Altitude training, oxigen masks, hyperbaric oxigen chambers,etc.
So, Spanish Sport Scientists and people that work in these subjects were always ahead of time in Europe, for some years ( including doping!)
So the question now is:
Is Man City ahead of technology in these subjects? Could it be that they are?
Does Man Utd have a cryotherapy chamber? Or they just do old school "ice baths"?
Do they have hyperbaric chambers?
Does Man Utd players have recovery tents at home to improve recovery?

There´s a history of suplements and doping in Spain for years.
Could it be that they maintain that direction, thinking it´s a decisive hedge in performance?
Could it be they are just doing stuff that are legal?

Could Mourinho integrate all the new knowledge about sport science in his methodology?He isn´t integrating everything that is new in tactics for example, rather maintaining is old school style of doing things.
Liverpool players for example run more than Man Utd players. They put more miles per game.
Are they doing PEDs too?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
On a very serious note, why don't start a new thread over Burnley too, there is something strange with them too ;)

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Without introducing blood passports in football we will continue to see these amazingly fit players while he is still there.

Hopefully football will have its Lance Armstrong moment sooner rather than later. Just a shame that Spanish court had all those 3000 tests destroyed that contained many footballers apparently...

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
There we go.

That's all it is. Legalized cheating.
Sorry about late reply, Christmas and all. It's sad, but true. Unless UEFA + FIFA decide that they will apply ruthless measures to control perfomance enhacing drugs, things will not improve.
Local authorities don't really care that much since most of those drugs can be legally purchased.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Without introducing blood passports in football we will continue to see these amazingly fit players while he is still there.

Hopefully football will have its Lance Armstrong moment sooner rather than later. Just a shame that Spanish court had all those 3000 tests destroyed that contained many footballers apparently...
They were never destroyed. They're supposed to be tested again currently last thing I heard. I don't know if we'll ever hear names though, as presumably they'd have to prove the names on the bags were accurate, and it's gone the statute of limitations on the doping offenses anyway.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Still infuriates me how the Spanish courts interfered at every possible turn.
You've got to remember that the only criminal charges available under Spanish law were charges related to Fuentes violating things like laws on safe storage of medical supplies. The drugs weren't illegal, and he was legally entitled to prescribe them.

Rules about testing for PEDs etc are the responsibility of the sporting organisations. So groups like UEFA/FIFA/LFP (as WADA accredited agencies) were entitled to run tests by collecting/testing their own samples, but these materials weren't obtained that way. They were obtained in the course of a criminal investigation and the patients were effectively the "victims" in the story. I'm not sure how different it would have been in other countries.

Spain now has a catch-all that uses a kind of generic "sporting fraud" law that would allow criminal investigations and prosecutions in similar circumstances.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
@jojojo Fair points, but I don't think it's coincidental that not only did the courts order evidence destroyed that could have badly damaged their countries reputation, but then after reversing that order under heavy pressure they waited until a week after the 10 year limit for charges before releasing the evidence to WADA.

Classical Mechanic

The athletes in question were cheating, how does their crimes being revealed in a separate criminal investigation qualify them as victims requiring protection from the courts?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The athletes in question were cheating, how does their crimes being revealed in a separate criminal investigation qualify them as victims requiring protection from the courts?
They were not crimes, though? I thinks that's the point being made.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You've got to remember that the only criminal charges available under Spanish law were charges related to Fuentes violating things like laws on safe storage of medical supplies. The drugs weren't illegal, and he was legally entitled to prescribe them.

Rules about testing for PEDs etc are the responsibility of the sporting organisations. So groups like UEFA/FIFA/LFP (as WADA accredited agencies) were entitled to run tests by collecting/testing their own samples, but these materials weren't obtained that way. They were obtained in the course of a criminal investigation and the patients were effectively the "victims" in the story. I'm not sure how different it would have been in other countries.

Spain now has a catch-all that uses a kind of generic "sporting fraud" law that would allow criminal investigations and prosecutions in similar circumstances.
Did the inception of this law coincide with Pep's decision to leave Barcelona by any chance? :p

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That's enough evidence for me - lock him up, and give us the trophy.

SteveJ

Scout
Well hopefully they're on drugs too.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Well hopefully they're on drugs too.
Talking about players taking drugs, watching Mkhitaryan yesterday, I'm convinced he took a shit load of acid just before kick off and those crosses and passes were actually pin point accurate to the 12 foot winged unicorn he could see. There's really no other reasonable explanation for his performace.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Talking about players taking drugs, watching Mkhitaryan yesterday, I'm convinced he took a shit load of acid just before kick off and those crosses and passes were actually pin point accurate to the 12 foot winged unicorn he could see. There's really no other reasonable explanation for his performace.
:lol:

SteveJ

Scout

Fridge chutney

AshRK

:lol::lol:

Even Jose looked shocked by his crossing. Rui Faria must be like who is he crossing to.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
This thread is fantastic.

As I said a few pages ago, it's pretty hilarious that when we were vying for 3rd/4th last season, this subject was never brought up. Our underachievement was all down to Pep struggling with the intensity of the Premier League because he couldn't adjust.

Now we're the best team in the country it's apparently got nothing to do with Pep learning about the English game and adapting his style to not only suit it but rule it, and instead it's all to do with drugs.

People on Bluemoon said the same about Leicester when they won the title, that it couldn't possibly be tactics and strict adherence to a disciplined system. It was tinfoil talk then and it's tinfoil talk now.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Conspiracy theory for dummies:

Conspirational Theorist: There were no doping allegations against Pep while he was in Munich, in fact he fell out with the team doctors. That is proof he is involved in doping because germans don't do it
i: But there *are* doping allegations against that very doctor he fell out with
CT: See? that exactly prooves my point!

in the undying words of Mr. Sean Spicer: you can't make this shit up

Disclaimer Q&A.
Q: do i believe Pep is as clean as a whistle?
A: nope. I believe he's as clean or dirty as any top coach involved in a major sport. I don't think he is cleaner or dirtier as Jose, Jupp, Carlo, Jürgen, Jogi or any other of these fellas.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Conspiracy theory for dummies:

Conspirational Theorist: There were no doping allegations against Pep while he was in Munich, in fact he fell out with the team doctors. That is proof he is involved in doping because germans don't do it
i: But there *are* doping allegations against that very doctor he fell out with
CT: See? that exactly prooves my point!

in the undying words of Mr. Sean Spicer: you can't make this shit up
There was a doping violation when he was at Bayern. Alcantara missed a drugs test whilst recovering from injury. Something Rio Ferdinand got banned for 9 months for in England. Alcantara agent is Pep’s brother etc.