Pep - Doping (?) | Are PEDs being used by footballers

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
That said, testing in football is weak. The Spanish authorities were not even testing La Liga players at all recently.
Club players are members of the lowest NADA test group and do not have the same obligations as, for example, track and field- athletes, cyclists, skiers, weight lifters etc. As such, they have to inform *their club* about their whereabouts (for unnanounced testing), but *not* the antidoping authorities themselves, as higher grouped athletes do.

This (at least in germany) doesn't apply for members of the german national team, who as such are in a higher "NADA test group". (this may either differ from country to country, or for foreign players, i don't know which).
The subject came up when Testers didn't find Thiago for a test while he was being treated in a spanish hospital. He himself and the club weren't sanctioned because they hadn't broken the rules - had it been Müller or another one of the german team players, it would have been a different story.

Still the question remains how often football players are tested outside the routine checks after the matches. Also: cyclists are possibly the most intensively tested sports group of all.Yet cycling is, if what some insiders tell when there's no microphone around is true, still one of the most doping infested one.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
How could pep or city be doping players and get away with it? There are frequent random drug tests, there are urine tests after games, if they are being doped then how could an entire squad get away with it? Because to a man they have been superb, they have upped their game 100% and have got an obvious game plan that they stick to.
It is a matter of *how often* they test, *when* they test, and *for what* do they test. They can hold an indicator paper in your pee and test for THC or steroids, or they can do a much more expensive full analysis.
Footballers are mostly tested after matches. In other sports with a more visible doping expositions, everyone knows you only catch the very stupid ones this way. You gotta test them continuosly, especially in training and during rehab. This is theoratically possible for football players, but happens almost never.
Antidoping commissars in the cycling field try to establish an ongoing athletes profile, collecting data over a longer period of time, because many modern doping techniques don't show up as a positive of a substance or some specific biological value being over the limit.
They will compare certain indicator values (blood cell % etc) to that of the ordinary human being. So they can find out there is *possibly* foul play, and then they start to dig. Most controlleurs knew Lance Armstrong was fishy from 2000 on, but suspecting/knowing it is different from proving it.

I agree about the "entire squad" thing. One would suspect there would have been more than a few whistleblowers over the years, were it actually whole-team organized action. There have been some, but what they told about was rather petty stuff.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Club players are members of the lowest NADA test group and do not have the same obligations as, for example, track and field- athletes, cyclists, skiers, weight lifters etc. As such, they have to inform *their club* about their whereabouts (for unnanounced testing), but *not* the antidoping authorities themselves, as higher grouped athletes do.
I was referring to this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38928615

Not sure what the current situation is there.

Hitchez

We used to here opposition fans accuse us of buying officials all the time, when we were dominating English football, and would call those rival fans "pathetic" for the sour grapes.

It's a shame that we have a few here who have stooped to that level. All it does, is make us look small time.
Absolutely. Guess it just highlights that all football fans regardless of allegiance are hypocrites not that there was much doubt. Our fans have been truly shown up in the last few years.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Has anyone heard the rumour on Twitter that a bottle/brick from Liverpool fans was seen smashing a collection of mysterious vials on the City team bus? Would certainly explain yesterday.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not sure about others, but it is not new for Indians.
Chewing Tobacco (in some form or the other) is one of the major causes of mouth cancer in India.

Below some recent news

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...osnan-with-fine-over-pan-masala-advertisement
The substance itself isn’t new to me. The idea that it might be a PED is what’s new to me. My limited understanding of the pharmacology is that it stimulates nicotinic receptors. Which are part of the parasympathetic nervous system which, among other things, is involved in helping you take a shit. Basically the opposite to stuff like ephedrine, which stimulates the sympathetic nervous system i.e. fight or flight.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

This is a new one to me. Chewing tobacco?!?
You don't chew snus, you just put it under your upper lip. It's very popular in the Nordic countries.

Don't know what that has to do with doping.

Edit: Never mind.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The substance itself isn’t new to me. The idea that it might be a PED is what’s new to me. My limited understanding of the pharmacology is that it stimulates nicotinic receptors. Which are part of the parasympathetic nervous system which, among other things, is involved in helping you take a shit. Basically the opposite to stuff like ephedrine, which stimulates the sympathetic nervous system i.e. fight or flight.
City played last night like they had taken laxatives.

JarkiJarko

legal in Germany, both selling and consuming, don't see what the problem is here.

Brophs

The One and Only
Tbh, I think you’d need to be incredibly naive to think that most sports aren’t infested with doping, whether you use that term to describe the taking of PEDs on the banned list, or the taking of substances with a performance enhancing effect, without the medical need to do so.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pretty sure it's illegal in most of Europe. Selling it, at least.
It's at least consumed(I'm actually not sure about the legality) in Scandinavia, France and Belgium. I have no idea about the rest.

Guy Incognito

If Athletes are doping at the Olympics, Boxing, Cycling, Tennis and most other high cardio sports, you can be sure as hell that football is doping too. It's sad but true.

Peps Barcelona was the first team I've ever truly believed did dope, the way they stayed so fresh, intense and played practically the same 11 every game for 60+ matches without getting tired was a major indicator.

Wether he's taken that to Bayern and City is hard to prove, but there's definitely been a significant improvement in certain players that is hard to fathom.

Shame those Spanish reports got buried, I wonder just how deep they went.
Watching the Italian teams in the early/mid 90s like Juve and Milan always aroused my suspicion.

While City were comprehensively tonked yesterday, their injury record this season has been somewhat faultless, you would expect Aguero to come in next week and play as if nothing's happened. They are doing something right on the medical front, but is it unethical? And how come it's only clicked when Pep joined?

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Watching the Italian teams in the early/mid 90s like Juve and Milan always aroused my suspicion.

While City were comprehensively tonked yesterday, their injury record this season has been somewhat faultless, you would expect Aguero to come in next week and play as if nothing's happened. They are doing something right on the medical front, but is it unethical? And how come it's only clicked when Pep joined?
Unfortunately i'm a tiny bit too young to truly remember the early 90's but I take your word for it.

It's pretty obvious that with match fixing, doping wouldn't be far away either.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
♪Now the drugs don't work♪

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
Has anyone heard the rumour on Twitter that a bottle/brick from Liverpool fans was seen smashing a collection of mysterious vials on the City team bus? Would certainly explain yesterday.
:D

HorrorFan07

Football has yet to have a massive "drug scandal" like other sports. I think this is dormant and just waiting to explode. You can't tell me the biggest and most popular sport in the World with the most money isn't corrupt with people trying to gain that "edge".

There's been rumours of players taking "time off" with mystery injuries for years to avoid getting caught. I think once one footballer is exposed we will see a domino effect ala Tiger Woods mistresses.

Last edited by a moderator:

SirAF

Ageist
Football has yet to have a massive "drug scandal" like other sports. I think this is dormant and just waiting to explode. You can't tell me the biggest and most popular sport in the World with the most money isn't corrupt with people trying to gain that "edge".

There's been rumours of players taking "time off" with mystery injuries for years to avoid getting caught. I think once one footballer is exposed we will see a domino effect ala Tiger Woods mistresses.
Yeah, I think so too. We also had Wenger saying that they noticed «strange blood values» in players from the continent years ago.

Javi

legal in Germany, both selling and consuming, don't see what the problem is here.
Don't think so. The article is from April 5th 2018.

Der Verkauf ist in Deutschland bislang illegal, der Konsum hingegen nicht. Der Oraltabak kann also bedenkenlos importiert werden. Zum Beispiel aus Schweden.
http://www.zeit.de/sport/2018-03/snus-fussball-eishockey-aufputschmittel-trenddroge/komplettansicht

By the way, Ashtma sprays are legal too. So the legal status of a drug really is a bad indicator altogether.

Barnslig

It's at least consumed(I'm actually not sure about the legality) in Scandinavia, France and Belgium. I have no idea about the rest.
100% legal in Sweden and Norway atleast. Sold at gas stations, grocerystores and the likes.

And lul:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
My mate used to bring tubs and tubs of snus from Sweden back in uni. It came in little teabags that you slotted under your upper lip, stang, stained your teeth, tasted like shite and wore a groove into your gum if used frequently.

I remember you couldn't buy it in the UK at the time.

EVO

Peps Barcelona was the first team I've ever truly believed did dope, the way they stayed so fresh, intense and played practically the same 11 every game for 60+ matches without getting tired was a major indicator.
They do keep track of how much players run, so it's possible to objectively verify whether it's actually the case that Pep's Barca ran more than other teams.

The UEFA produces technical reports about the CL, with tons of statistics. Here's the one for the 2010/11 season, where Barca won the cup over United: https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj6gJqm_rHaAhXGKlAKHdzPCVIQFggoMAA&url=https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/TechnicalReport/competitions/UCL/01/68/34/73/1683473_DOWNLOAD.pdf&usg=AOvVaw28NighXAqdpSZHmqBQMlmR

It includes a table of the average distance/game each team ran during the tournament:

FC Rubin Kazan 120,907
FC København 117,433
Werder Bremen 117,184
MŠK Žilina 116,906
FC Schalke 04 115,842
Tottenham Hotspur FC 115,695
FC Basel 1893 115,287
FC Twente 115,188
SL Benfica 114,539
FK Partizan 113,196
SC Braga 112,915
FC Spartak Moskva 112,715
Olympique Lyonnais 112,568
Rangers FC 112,548
Valencia CF 112,348
Arsenal FC 112,337
Chelsea FC 112,077
AFC Ajax 111,805
CFR 1907 Cluj 111,708
FC Bayern München 111,571
AJ Auxerre 111,051
Manchester United FC 110,644
FC Shakhtar Donetsk 110,534
FC Barcelona 110,465
Panathinaikos FC 110,247
Hapoel Tel-Aviv 110,090
AS Roma 109,913
Bursaspor 109,342
Olympique de Marseille 109,287
Real Madrid CF 108,813
AC Milan 107,027
FC Internazionale Milano 105,871

Barca were actually one of the teams that ran the least... most probably because while they may have run more to press, they also build up gradually when in possession, meaning they could physically recover.

Last edited: