Pep Guardiola to leave Man City in 2023 | Extends contract until 2025

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If he leaves without a Champions League twin, what do we rate his time there? 8/10?
7/10 for me, rather like PSG City have always wanted ol big ears, if they don't get it then it's definitely a slight failure.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Could they follow in Chelsea (Lampard), Man United (Ole) and Arsenal's (Arteta) footsteps by appointing a retired legend as boss?

What's Shaun Goater or Uwe Rosler up to these days?

stu_1992

Has there been successful managers that did Club>Country>Club ? I'm blanking and can only think of LVG.
Conte? Not that he was hugely successful as the Italian National Team manager but he was very successful at club level before and after.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Should have been the man we turned to after Fergie but we allowed our Tinpot neighbours to steal a march on us. Won't be sad to see the back of him as he's the best manager City have ever had and ever will have.

Dash247

Qatar might be a good candidate given that he needs a billion dollar.

Oranges038

He'll go to Brazil.

They've been pretty shit for 20 years. He will win the 2026 world cup with them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would be funny if he was indeed just haggling for a new deal

littleman

An amazing league manager, but not so good at cups, I'm not sure he'll do well with NTs

cyberman

I think before Pep's time Bayern won three in a row once before.

Pep's predecessors at City didn't win it back to back or push 100 points.
That’s short term though. City were regularly winning titles before Pep came. Winning it twice in a row is just a stat.
Not saying Pep isn’t better than Mancini etc but say he doesn’t win it this season. That’s 3 titles in 6 years, about the rate they won pre Pep. All after been giving more resources than his predecessors. Hell the early confirmation of his appointment stopped Pellegrini winning 2 in a row himself (I think?) when he was well on course to achieve it.
Say Pep never existed, these teams wouldn’t have less success or do they simply win in a different way?
Pep is a bit of a league bully with his billion pound squad v Spurs.

Withnail

At international level, if you're not fortunate enough with talents, and the expectation coming with it; going far in the big tournament alone most of the time is considered job well done. Third place in World Cup, runner up in World Cup... have been warmly welcomed back home. The very reason, coaches are more open minded at international to take lesser jobs. The top jobs as politics dictate not as often available. Strange to narrow your options on continent this early.
I disagree but fair enough.

RedDevilzFox

Thank feck for him leaving. I hope he leaves sooner but 'll take the timeline.

shahzy

This for city is like us losing SAF. They won't know what they had until it's gone

Fluctuation0161

I think before Pep's time Bayern won three in a row once before.

Pep's predecessors at City didn't win it back to back or push 100 points.
Pep inherited their team, which was already strong, then spent £1 billion on top of that. The points tally showed the squad superiority as much as Pep's "genius".

The magic hat

Supports
IFK Göteborg
He can come manage Norway, at least he'll have Haaland, and a annual budget of a pack of fishsticks
Well.. Norway is an oil nation after all! :'D

But news that every united fan should be happy about.. Not every manager can build great teams, even with mega budgets!

SER19

He's gone next summer. No top players will sign for an outgoing manager

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He's quite transparent about his choice, isn't he? "South America, European" both happens to have strongest NTs in the world...

Just wait for the groundwork to be done, and pick one of the strongest now.
France,Italy,Germany, Netherlands, Argentina,Brazil WON'T hire a foreign manager.
The only real options for Pep are England (they already had Sven and Capello) and Spain.

Big national team hiring a foreign managers screams massive failure IMO.
That seems to work better for medium/small teams.

Dr. StrangeHate

If he leaves without a Champions League twin, what do we rate his time there? 8/10?
9/10. The way he spanked the league in that 100 point season is something I have never seen. He made a mockery of the competitive league.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Good for us. One of the two best managers in the world leaving the league. Realistically City aren't going to get anyone as good as him. I view Klopp and Liverpool as far more catchable than City and Pep.

I hope he goes on to manage the Brazil NT. No country in the world has a football spirit like Brazil. They're the ones that beautiful football is synonymous with. They've lost their way for a long time now, and it would be great to see Pep take a crack at bringing them to what they used to be.
Brazil isn't hiring a foreign manager, neither will France, Germany,Argentina,Italy, and Netherlands.

His real options are England,Spain, and probably Belgium.

ti vu

The best way to describe it is, if I said in 2008 Xavi, Iniesta and even Messi would have become the extreme level they did would you have believed me?

He took over a club that finished double figure points behind Villareal with the core of the prior successful sides bar Eto'o all heavily declining and turned it into the greatest ever club side within three years, that's creating by any metric.

While I'd agree his UCL record should be better, the league over a period of time is a better barometer. Zidane is/was the more the opposite way and no one seems to rate him THAT highly.
I would believe. Iniesta, Xavi won the Euro with Spain before Pep took over.

A declined Barcelona dominated us even more in term of possession than the Rome final. And our team at the time is SAF's most complete, balanced if not the best. The same team was strongest in Europe at the time.

Barcelona dressing room is out of control at the time. Over the season, it hindered their performance, but they're no pushover in those one off game. A mismanaged talent stacked team can turn thing over quickly with the right manager. Credit where it's due. Creating a team is a different matter altogether.

Bayern and Man City have the resource to catch up with that Barcelona, but we didn't see that "creation" part.

How many title have Bayern lost out since their first Treble with all the managerial changes? When you have the strongest team and capability of spending on equal footing/ outspending your challenger; it's within expectation to achieve to certain standard in the league. It's not like Pep winning Man City their first PL.

No one rate Zidane that highly? I am not so sure. If anything, Zidane on theory is more suitable for international football.

Edit: Nevertheless, vsry interesting to see how Pep does with NT, wherever he ends up with

MattofManchester

As good as the City players are, they'll still drop down a level without him.

Hope their next appointment from then on has worse man management than Jose and makes them play like Burnley.

Maybe Pep should suggest Arteta.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah. It's almost impossible to match his domestic record, first season aside, but his overall underwhelming European performances make it hard to push the rating up to 9 our of 10. Ferguson is in the league of his own, but other than him no other PL manager had a better spell there — there's a small group that includes Pep, Wenger and arguably Klopp, but I'd put Pep at the top of it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In or around that. Couldn't give him higher than 8/10 without a CL given how important a goal that is for City but the three PL titles, FA Cup and four league cups give him an automatic 7/10 really. And he still has two more shots at league titles to copper-fasten that 8/10.

BlueHaze

This for city is like us losing SAF. They won't know what they had until it's gone
I don't think so. They have enough spending power to warrant any manager sucess. Even mediocre manager like Pellegrini won the prem for them.

Cloud7

Brazil isn't hiring a foreign manager, neither will France, Germany,Argentina,Italy, and Netherlands.

England would be very interesting with the players they have coming through

That being said, while countries usually don't hire managers outside their own nationality, how often does a manager of Pep's caliber become available for international football?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nah. He'll be a big loss for them obviously but in our case the difficulties of SAF's departure were massively exacerbated by a lot of the structures at the club also being out of whack and another senior figure being replaced at the same time with the not-so-stellar Ed Woodward. City have better structures in place, a lot of which pre-date Pep's arrival, so there should be less turmoil when he goes.

RedDevilzFox

Something tells me a lot of those countries will make an exception for him.

RedDevilzFox

Yeah. It's almost impossible to match his domestic record, first season aside, but his overall underwhelming European performances make it hard to push the rating up to 9 our of 10. Ferguson is in the league of his own, but other than him no other PL manager had a better spell there — there's a small group that includes Pep, Wenger and arguably Klopp, but I'd put Pep at the top of it.
With due respect, ferguson's record in CL is nothing to write home about. Before everyone jumps on me, sit back and think, its just true.

11clarkie11

Sounds like the beginning of a massive contract negotiation to me. The Sheik won’t want to lose Guardiola especially if the fail (again) to win the CL. When SAF said he was going to retire, the team’s performance fell. May happen at the Bitters.
As brilliant as Guardiola is, do you not think if he’s not won it at City in 7 years and not won it himself in 12 years that they may not be open to a change?

Amir

He's gone next summer. No top players will sign for an outgoing manager
They will sign for one of the best teams around.

As for the manager, Pep has probably given them an edge in the market because of his stature, but when players join big clubs they can never be sure if the manager will still be in place in a year's time.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Not saying Pep isn’t better than Mancini etc but say he doesn’t win it this season. That’s 3 titles in 6 years, about the rate they won pre Pep.
Mancini and Pellegrini won 1 title each. 2 titles in 6 years. That is 1/3. That's not 'about the rate' as Guardiola's 1/2.