Pep Guardiola to leave Man City in 2023 | Extends contract until 2025

SER19

This for city is like us losing SAF. They won't know what they had until it's gone
It really won't. Every manager they've had since they started spraying money around has won the league.

Offsideagain

He isn't one of those really. I see him more or less as a man of principal.
Really? He doesn’t seem to give a toss about the human rights abuses in Abu Dhabi or the blatant ignoring of the FFP rules, it doesn’t matter if they’re fair or not they are the rules, or the cover up to try and avoid sanctions or the two drug convictions he had as a player. Yes really a man of principle.

arthurka

Really? He doesn’t seem to give a toss about the human rights abuses in Abu Dhabi or the blatant ignoring of the FFP rules, it doesn’t matter if they’re fair or not they are the rules, or the cover up to try and avoid sanctions or the two drug convictions he had as a player. Yes really a man of principle.
His principles, if he says he is leaving I see him as a man that will take a break when he needs too.

reddevilchennai

Not really. Hopefully they replace him with someone terrible though
They have a competent board who plan well and buy. Moreover they have the Shiek who will give more funds even if their board fecks up with the transfers.
Sure they will hire a top dog to fill for Pep.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not really. Hopefully they replace him with someone terrible though
It is in a way. There's only one manager in the same league as Guardiola and there's no chance he ever goes to City. Teams come and go in cycles but it's very difficult to envision another manager in the modern game capable of the dominance Guardiola had with City. They'll undoubtably get a good manager in but Guardiola is their peak, he's the second best manager ever in my view and it's very difficult to get someone to replicate that.

sangria

Has there been successful managers that did Club>Country>Club ? I'm blanking and can only think of LVG.
There was a successful Aberdeen manager who managed Scotland for a short while before returning to club management, can't remember where.

Redfrog

He hasn't yet but he just might if he gets over that crucial 1bn mark and buys a striker.

It took Chelsea almost 1bn to land their first title and another 1bn to get their second.
So we should maybe rename the competition, the « Billions League » instead.

RoyH1

I think he might not manage a club again after City (PSG is the only I can see).

I would not be surprised if he becomes Barsa president once the bad times are done

GazTheLegend

Mr. Money coaching a national team where he won't have unlimited fantasy funds? Yeah sure :lol:
Are we pretending that Man City isn't Emirati FC, PSG isn't Qatar FC and Chelsea isn't KGB FC.

The amount of hatred I have for these clubs surprises me, and I know that to many people our club is the OG gangster FC buying up the league.

passing-wind

City will likely still be a dominant force in the game. The best asset they have is the hierarchy, the DOF and the infrastructure at the top will see them have consistency. The money is one aspect but it's the decisions made that is the most influential. This is where city blow United and the likes of Barcelona out the water.

United have invested in every single manager but the owners have no consensus of football affairs, terrible leadership pioneered by Woodward. It's resulted in hiring managers who have no direction or vision with any long term plans, the only exception being Ole who was never desired but rather consequently acquired for an interim role. All City will have to do is identify a manager that meets the ethos of whatever projected plans they have and fuel the strategy around the players they hope to bring and that's the end of it.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I can see him managing England and the reaction of Richard Keys will be delightful.

largelyworried

Don't personally think he'll go. Other than PSG there's no club in the world that can provide him with the resources he's used to. I can see him managing Spain down the line when he wants to take things a little easier, but I'm pretty sure he'll stick at City beyond the current contract.

Amir

I wasnt following United back then but in his autobiography, Fergie said it was a mistake to pre-announce the retirement as it affected the performance of the team. And we see he didn't announce his actual retirement till we didn't win the PL. So won't be a stretch to suggest it might. But of course the opposite may also happen that the players may try to give their all to win as much as they can. I would say their next transfer window may be a challenge as big players may want certainty on transfers before committing to City.
Certainty is great, but where do you have that? City's been able to give certainty in recent years because of Pep, but I would say it was a bonus rather than the norm in football. So they'd lose that bonus, but they would still be attractive.

90 + 5min

Very good manager. Deserves break after dominating leagues and wishing him luck when he leaves. Now, people will say money this, money that and that is why he won. All that aside, he is a very good manager.

SER19

Needs another 50m quid full back,with Mendy suspended.

Pretty much no club can just jump into the market again when unforeseen injury/circumstances occur. Lose a full back and miss kane? No big deal, go get me Ronaldo and a 50m defender again

Ace Krampus

I just can't imagine this actually happens. I mean, I'll be very impressed. For years I've thought his legacy had a bit of an asterisk because he's been savvy and selective enough to pick his landing spots so carefully. Even if he goes to Spain or Brazil, well, there's no league to win by throwing money at it.

dove

Finally. City will of course find the next best manager but still there is a change they won't be as much dominant as City were with him.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I just can't imagine this actually happens. I mean, I'll be very impressed. For years I've thought his legacy had a bit of an asterisk because he's been savvy and selective enough to pick his landing spots so carefully. Even if he goes to Spain or Brazil, well, there's no league to win by throwing money at it.
Would it though? He will still get the pick of a top national side. Most decent to good club level managers have to some success or mild success LVG taking Netherlands to semifinal, Enrique taking Spain to semifinals, Martinez going to semifinals with Belgium and Mancini winning Euros, Deschamp WC winner and Euro finalist etc. I don’t think it’s that big of a feat on international front unless you win 2 or more tournaments in a row.

MUFC OK

Getting Ronaldo in for his last 2 years to try and finally win the CL. Tactical genius.

el3mel

That's 2 years from now. He'll probably change his mind when time comes.

Varane around town

Wow.

If this is Pep spitting the dummy because his board didn't spend £150 million on Harry Kane... then it really is beyond pathetic.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't he say he wanted to manage Brazil once? Brazil don't win 2022 world cup and that will probably be the end of Tite so will be vacancy around that time so intriguing if Brazil or even Argentina decide he's good enough to appoint as first ever foreign manager.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He has been a very good manager but him being 'nothing so special' at Bayern kind of seems to resonate a bit with his time as City manager.

I wouldnt mind him having as England Manager though. Not sure it's his type of player to manage in comparison to the Brazilian or Spanish players.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He left Barca to take a break. So i dont think anyone expected him to stay there forever.

SER19

Grealish and Ronaldo? 2 of the most un guardiola sorts I can imagine. He's either getting very desperate to win the CL or he's lost a bit of sway at City due to the billion pound failing to win it. Would tally with his exit talk

Zen86

Grealish and Ronaldo? 2 of the most un guardiola sorts I can imagine. He's either getting very desperate to win the CL or he's lost a bit of sway at City due to the billion pound failing to win it. Would tally with his exit talk
I think this is the case, they’re both very odd signings as you say. They very much appear to be marketing/PR moves and part of a miniature arms race with PSG, probably to see who wins the CL first.

choccy77

If PSG keep MNM this season and fail to win CL, as owners I'd walk away.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He's not leaving in 2 years.

He just said that he'll take a break after Man City, if that's in 3 months or 5 years.

Was just asked in a press conference and welcomed the chance to clarify the story.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
He's not leaving in 2 years.

He just said that he'll take a break after Man City, if that's in 3 months or 5 years.

Was just asked in a press conference and welcomed the chance to clarify the story.
yeah, I found that interesting, I think it'll be closer to 3 months than 5 years though

gibers

He came out and said he didn't mean hwe was leaving in 2023. he said he could stay for 5 seven years and it all depends on the situation. Hope he leaves mid way through this season.