Pep Guardiola to leave Man City in 2023 | Extends contract until 2025

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Something tells me a lot of those countries will make an exception for him.
I don't know, the fact that you don't need top a manager to win trophies at International level chills the excitement about Pep managing a national team.

At international level, quality and chemistry are more important than the style itself.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Could they follow in Chelsea (Lampard), Man United (Ole) and Arsenal's (Arteta) footsteps by appointing a retired legend as boss?

What's Shaun Goater or Uwe Rosler up to these days?
So many to choose from. Wim Jonk, Nicky Summerbee, Paul Dickov. Massive club City. Massive! :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great news. With City's squad aging too, they'll be in for quite a rebuild. All the more important that if they do get a striker, I hope it is Kane next summer and not Haaland.

Tarrou

Seems quite a few think it’s BS from him but 7 years will be the longest he’s been anywhere

no real reason to think he’d make it up

Silas

He could work some magic with the future England squad.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good news. As much I feel the need to play him down due to the obsession some caftards have with bigging him up, he's a brilliant manager and it'll only be downhill for City after Pep, in terms of managerial quality.

The downside is that City will snap up another quality manager from the market as we obviously can't be bothered with that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Im sure he’s said he would like to manage Brazil in an interview
Instantly thought of Brazil when the NT thing was mentioned. Just seems perfect for him. Tons of talent but just need a decent coach to set them up adequately.

RoyH1

Poor Pep. A visionary, a misunderstood genius. We would never have known the heights he could have reached if his superior's had backed him properly in the transfer market.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Reminds me of the disaster when Fergie prematurely stated he would be retiring; this could cause problems for City in regard to signing players in the near future. Hopefully...
Yes, I'm baffled why he would announce this publicly now especially with the timing just after the failure to sign Harry Kane

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Great news. With City's squad aging too, they'll be in for quite a rebuild. All the more important that if they do get a striker, I hope it is Kane next summer and not Haaland.
Haven't they already addressed these, barring a striker?

From memory they have Cancelo, Dias, Ederson, Laporte, Foden, Grealish, Rodri, Sterling, Zinchenko all well under 30?

The 2 key players would be KdB and Gundogan (Foden/Grealish will likely end up taking over there) who are 30 (not really retirement age) and would probably be nearing the end of their tenure when Pep goes. Mahrez too (if you consider him key, is another around 30 years old).

Pep's Suit

I can still see him sign 1-year extension but it was always likely he would leave in 2023 or 2024. Next summer I think City will be very active in transfer market: 1st choice DM, top quality striker/winger, LB but then we'll see if Txiki leaves with him as well (that was rumored years ago), more things could change at City when Pep goes.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Haven't they already addressed these, barring a striker?

From memory they have Cancelo, Dias, Ederson, Laporte, Foden, Grealish, Rodri, Sterling, Zinchenko all well under 30?

The 2 key players would be KdB and Gundogan (Foden/Grealish will likely end up taking over there) who are 30 (not really retirement age) and would probably be nearing the end of their tenure when Pep goes. Mahrez too (if you consider him key, is another around 30 years old).
Only player who's really important for them that is properly getting on is Fernandinho. Rodri is not the same level. You'd imagine spending a bit more money can solve one problem position though. Same with LB if they want.

Oranges038

Like he won the champions league with city !!!
He hasn't yet but he just might if he gets over that crucial 1bn mark and buys a striker.

It took Chelsea almost 1bn to land their first title and another 1bn to get their second.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Only player who's really important for them that is properly getting on is Fernandinho. Rodri is not the same level. You'd imagine spending a bit more money can solve one problem position though. Same with LB if they want.
Yeah, CF, DM and LB for them. Rodri is nowhere near Fernandinho but he is a Pep type player. I'm curious to see the performance levels his successor will get out of these players.

R'hllor

Not sure why people want Pep or Klopp to leave PL, rather see us get to that level and win a PL with them in it, then after they leave, their teams drop on ours or below.

CG1010

Had that discussion a while back. We suffered in the start of 2001/02 from the change of formation, struggle to fit in Veron, the defence weakening (Blanc in, Stam out) and found our form a few weeks before Fergie announced he was staying.

City will be fine.
I wasnt following United back then but in his autobiography, Fergie said it was a mistake to pre-announce the retirement as it affected the performance of the team. And we see he didn't announce his actual retirement till we didn't win the PL. So won't be a stretch to suggest it might. But of course the opposite may also happen that the players may try to give their all to win as much as they can. I would say their next transfer window may be a challenge as big players may want certainty on transfers before committing to City.

Dolf

So 2 more seasons for Pep to win the CL and PL. After that we need to do everything to win the PL. Might be the perfect timing.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I wasnt following United back then but in his autobiography, Fergie said it was a mistake to pre-announce the retirement as it affected the performance of the team. And we see he didn't announce his actual retirement till we didn't win the PL. So won't be a stretch to suggest it might. But of course the opposite may also happen that the players may try to give their all to win as much as they can.
That would be like Bayern, before Pep arrived. When it was clear that Heynckes would leave after the season, they really became an unstoppable force, once Pep arrived they lost that extra determination.

El Zoido

City are so well set up they’ll surely line up whichever manager they want, and have a proper transition. They’ll be fine.

MUFC OK

Seems clear that his plan is: sign Ronaldo, give it another couple of seasons to try and finally win CL, then f*ck off. Greatest manager of all time?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Pep will resign after this season and conte will come and take the job in my opinion. Haaland will go there without a doubt.

They can give the salary package he wants including his family package and raiola windfall makes lot of sense.