Pep on MNF special

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s done a great job. A lot of bitterness towards him in here though but it’s to be expected.

I enjoy listening to him a lot, always comes across well.

JohnnyKills

It's a world away but Mourinho still won more in 1 season than Klopp has in 3.
Reaching the CL final trumps either of the two trophies Mou won last year IMO.

The EL win was crucial, don't get me wrong, but merely reaching the final of Europe's premier tournament is a more impressive achievement I reckon.

el3mel

Reaching the CL final trumps either of the two trophies Mou won last year IMO.

The EL win was crucial, don't get me wrong, but merely reaching the final of Europe's premier tournament is a more impressive achievement I reckon.
As far as I'm concerned there's no trophy called "CL final". If they don't win it, it'll mean feck all in the long run.

The Bloody-Nine

As far as I'm concerned there's no trophy called "CL final". If they don't win it, it'll mean feck all in the long run.
Agree with this. You don't see too many Arsenal fans dining out on losing in their one and only appearance.

The Bloody-Nine

And we ourselves don't talk much about 2011 final as sort of an achievement.
Or 2009. Ugh, bad memories.

At the end of the day, if Liverpool lose, it's another trophyless season for them and that is how it will be remembered.

cyberman

Of course it's not like he has improved Sane, Sterling, De Bruyne, Fernadhinio, Stones, Otamendi etc.

Keep clutching at straws.
Sane one of the most sought after young players in world football
Sterling not long off from being a part of the most lethal attack in Europe at 20 yo
KDB was the best player in Germany
Fernandinho an experienced Brazilian international
Stones who has regressed imo
Otamendi who was considered the best defender in Spain.
These are the examples you use? Not exactly winning the league with Smalling as RB with Young, Cleverly and Welbeck in your first 11!

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Sane one of the most sought after young players in world football
Sterling not long off from being a part of the most lethal attack in Europe at 20 yo
KDB was the best player in Germany
Fernandinho an experienced Brazilian international
Stones who has regressed imo
Otamendi who was considered the best defender in Spain.
These are the examples you use? Not exactly winning the league with Smalling as RB with Young, Cleverly and Welbeck in your first 11!
He's still improved them all. Maybe not Stones.
What you said about some of these players pre-Pep.

This what happens when you spend so much money on players on the basis of primarily one season, they are given ridiculous amounts of leeway that isnt afforded to rival teams.
Sterling / KDB /Mangala / Otamendi..Thats a ridiculous amount of money spent on players that have had 1, maybe 2, individually stand out seasons. The credibility isn't there where we can dismiss a bad run of form as just that. Is it a bad run of form or is it their actual level? This is what happens when you sign these sort of one season players. We watched Youtube clips of Otamendi shutting down Messi and Ronaldo but there were no clips of him getting caught woefully out of position or clumsily fouling and kicking out at players beyond the halfway line because he got a nose bleed.

cyberman

He's still improved them all. Maybe not Stones.
What you said about some of these players pre-Pep.

Has Pep improved them that much or is it the natural progression of top, young players?
Wouldn't KDB play better at City being surrounded by 500m worth of talent than playing at Wolfsburg?
Sane plays better alongside Silva / KDB / Aguero shocker

Edit yeah thats me asking a question that was right to ask after finishing 1 point above 4th. I actually think history shows he underperformed with the City squad last year.
If thats the best you've got then I suggest you trawl through more of my year old posts.
Theres nothing contradictory there?

ti vu

He is where he because of money for sure, the tactics that he employs at that level will fail unless he has the right profile of player with the right attributes to execute them. That's the same for any manager really.
Having the right profile to execute plan is all the same. The difference is only havibg one approach vs adopting plan B & C if you can't get the players for your plan A! We all can agree Pep is one hell of a coach when it comes to his plan A. However, when having to deal with lesser quality, he doesn't look like punching above his weight with the lesser (still) quality at his command. Throughout history, many coaches showed they can defy the odd with different approach adapting to the quality of their players

Nikelesh Reddy

City were a mess too. Ageing full backs all 4 of which were in their 30s. An injury prone Kompany, a ridiculed by many Otamendi, Mangala and a departed Demichelis in defence.

City had a core in 15-16 to build from but so did United
Are you seriously comparing the United squad under LVG,with what City had under Pellegrini??

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Has Pep improved them that much or is it the natural progression of top, young players?
Wouldn't KDB play better at City being surrounded by 500m worth of talent than playing at Wolfsburg?
Sane plays better alongside Silva / KDB / Aguero shocker

Edit yeah thats me asking a question that was right to ask after finishing 1 point above 4th. I actually think history shows he underperformed with the City squad last year.
If thats the best you've got then I suggest you trawl through more of my year old posts.
Theres nothing contradictory there?
Natural progression of top young players? It's not that easy, look at Martial, Shaw, Rashford. Progression for young talents is far from certain. They've all improved under Guardiola, to what extent can be argued, but to deny the improvement is wrong.

It wasn't after Guardiola's first season, that comment was pre-Guardiola.

Are you seriously comparing the United squad under LVG,with what City had under Pellegrini??
Finished equal on points. The City squad was better, but it had big deficiencies.

Last edited:

OldSchoolManc

Put some nice cherries in with good ingredients, you can make a lovely cake.
Mix those cherries in with a bag of shite, you have a bag of shite with bits of fruit floating in it.

Last edited:

Moonred

Great coach but can’t be arsed hearing him. Yaps a lot unnecessarily. Brevity isn’t his strong suit, the pseudo hippie cokehead.

JohnnyKills

No. It doesn't.
A CL win and win alone will trump any other cups.

We went and lost couple of CL finals to Pep's Barca. Did us no good.
I'm not talking about what good it does in the long term, but about how impressive an achievement it is.

Getting to the final two in Europe's top comp has to be more impressive than winning the 'best of the rest' trophy or the league cup!

The Bloody-Nine

No, it doesn't have to be. If they lose, they managed to finish 4th on the final day. And that's it. Their entire season yielded CL qualification. On the final day.

Kammy26

Some of the worship for pep in this thread is sickening. Good manager yes no doubt, but people on here going in like he’s the best ever and he’s clearly fecking not.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Natural progression of top young players? It's not that easy, look at Martial, Shaw, Rashford. Progression for young talents is far from certain. They've all improved under Guardiola, to what extent can be argued, but to deny the improvement is wrong.
This is just laughable! KDB for example was this good before Pep even arrived at City. His figures in Germany are ample proof. Just in an under performing City side it wasn't being seen. Stones is literally the same player he was at Everton. Sane was always this good just at a much, much worse club. Sterling is back to the form he had when he first broke out at Pool after one difficult season when he arrived at City. Otamendi simply re found the form that once made him La liga defender of the year before City got him. Fernandinho has been top class for years and had been City's best CM not named Toure ce he signed. You pep fans simply take your worship of him too far....

Theonas

Scout
Some of the posts in this thread, you would they are written by Telenovelas experts the way they whorship Pep
I just went through the thread again just to make sure if I missed something and there is absolutely nothing remotely close to worshiping. The highest praise Guardiola is getting on here is that he has done a brilliant job at City or that our fans would take him if he was not City's manager. There is this side and the rest whingeing about everything from City, their money, owners and the media.

The Bloody-Nine

I just went through the thread again just to make sure if I missed something and there is absolutely nothing remotely close to worshiping. The highest praise Guardiola is getting on here is that he has done a brilliant job at City or that our fans would take him if he was not City's manager. There is this side and the rest whingeing about everything from City, their money, owners and the media.
Put it this way. If there was one opportunity to swap Pep for Mourinho, 99% of Utd fans would snap their hands off. Mine included.
You didn't read it very closely.

Post 169.

Josep Dowling

We just finished 2 places above you in the PL...

That's an entire season of us being the superior team.

It's literally delusional for you to be talking as though you're above us as a team.

You've won nothing in Klopp's entire time there thus far, and just finished 2 places below us.
Maybe say this after we know what happens in the Champions League final...

Theonas

Scout
You didn't read it very closely.
How on earth is that worshiping? The opinion that a fan would want their team to be managed by someone who is considered by many as the best in the world is worshiping? If someone wrote they'd swap Sanchez for Messi or Ronaldo, would you call that worshiping?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
its never seizes to amaze that Pep fan boys believe he has improved any of those players.....
I think the improvement in Sterling is undeniable.

There's even that goal he scored (I think v Spurs) where footage of a training session earlier in the season showed Pep coaching him on the exact move he scored with.

The Bloody-Nine

How on earth is that worshiping? The opinion that a fan would want their team to be managed by someone who is considered by many as the best in the world is worshiping? If someone wrote they'd swap Sanchez for Messi or Ronaldo, would you call that worshiping?
Okay, firstly, it's 'worshipping'. Sorry, but that continual misspelling is annoying me.

And secondly, someone saying "99% of our fans would swap Mourinho for Pep" ISN'T worshipping him? This person is so enamoured by lord Pep that he feels he speaks for almost our entire fanbase. :lol:

Josep Dowling

Put some nice cherries in with good ingredients, you can make a lovely cake.
Mix those cherries in with a bag of shite, you have a bag of shite with bits of fruit floating in it.
This is a good analogy of City and United position when Pep and Jose came in.

Mourinho came in we had De Gea at the very top level and that was about it. Which is just ridiculous given the money spent by LVG. We have added some more quality but the squad has still got a big bagful of crap that needs shifting. You see Pogba for France he’s a different player.

Even the likes of Martial, Rashford, Shaw and at the time Depay. All promising young players when Mourinho came, it doesn’t guarantee they will get to their potential and be consistent.

Pep got KDB, Aguero, Silva, Fernandinho, Kompany. You could add in Otamendi and Sterling when he started and spent more on players than any other club in the league.

What the City side has achieved in the league is obviously unbelievable but I get frustrated when United get compared to City. LVG and Moyes did so much damaged in their 3 years plus you can add a real lack of investment building up to that.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think the improvement in Sterling is undeniable.

There's even that goal he scored (I think v Spurs) where footage of a training session earlier in the season showed Pep coaching him on the exact move he scored with.
Him scoring with the exact move Pep coached does not equate to improving him. People on here have short memories. Sterling at 17/18 years alongside Suarez and a then fit Sturridge spent a season running rings around the entire league till Gerard's slip cost them a league title.

The way people talk of Sterling one would think he was a nothing player before Pep got a hold of him