Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

RedFish

Utd fans complaining about another team spending vast sums of money is irony personified.
City are doing it right. Don't invest you run the risk of standing still or being caught. There are still glaring deficiencies in our squad when it's the league we:re after and going deep into CL is wanted.

YNSAM

Supports
Manchester City
City were the primary contributors to the inflation of the transfer market which, coincidently, came about directly after the arrival of one Shiek Monsour and his takeover of City. Pep has since continued the 'spend ludicrous amounts of money in the transfer market' trend set by previous managers of your club.
The primary contributors to the inflation of the transfer market are the clubs who set the asking price of the players surely.

Josep Dowling

Utd fans complaining about another team spending vast sums of money is irony personified.
It not a case of being ironic. It's more to do with the fact that Man United and Jose are benchmarked to compete with Pep when it just isn't possible unless we invest the same amount of money as they have been doing.

Plus the fact it is never mentioned how they have spent whilst big bad Manchester United always spend more than any other club according to journalists. I'm getting sick of the narrative that creates this whole ABU culture in the media and on social media.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well I wouldn't say much here, as we are probably the 2nd biggest spender in the world over past 4-5 years.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
What is sad about City is that they are spending this huge amount of money to sign players that can win the Premier League with the right manager, but NEVER the Champions League (T. Silva, Modric, Bale, Messi, CR, Neymar, etc.). NONE of the players of the current squad is a TOP TOP player. And yes, that includes Agüero, unpredictable in any big game at best...

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
What is sad about City is that they are spending this huge amount of money to sign players that can win the Premier League with the right manager, but NEVER the Champions League (T. Silva, Modric, Bale, Messi, CR, Neymar, etc.). NONE of the players of the current squad is a TOP TOP player. And yes, that includes Agüero, unpredictable in any big game at best...
This City team is certainly capable of winning the CL imo. It’s a very hard thing to do, but I’d argue that there’s no clear favourite this season and City have as much chance as anyone. Aguero has a good record in big games for City, or are you talking about European football only?

Son Of Sam

What he achieved with Real Madrid is meaningless when it comes to his career right now
How is it meaningless? He won La Liga. He’s won a league title in every country he’s managed a club. His La Liga achievement is super-relevant to his career.

Son Of Sam

"RIGHT NOW"
Do you think it matters what he did for them when managing Man Utd ?
Yes it does....
If he had failed at Madrid and everywhere he’s been, he would be managing Nottingham Forest by now in a lower division. His past record makes him an asset you can’t ignore. If United sack him tonight, another big club would sign him before the end of the month.

What United board should be asking themselves is the ingredients to his success wherever he’s been. If you provide him with the resources, he delivers. I am not sure United have backed him enough. That he actually finished above Chelsea, Liverpool & Spurs last season with that disjointed squad is a huge feat on its own.

YNSAM

Supports
Manchester City
So you're saying Kevin De Bruyne ISN'T a TOP TOP player?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes it does....
If he had failed at Madrid and everywhere he’s been, he would be managing Nottingham Forest by now in a lower division. His past record makes him an asset you can’t ignore. If United sack him tonight, another big club would sign him before the end of the month.

What United board should be asking themselves is the ingredients to his success wherever he’s been. If you provide him with the resources, he delivers. I am not sure United have backed him enough. That he actually finished above Chelsea, Liverpool & Spurs last season with that disjointed squad is a huge feat on its own.
I don't share this view at all. Real Madrid's stint isn't that recent anyway. Hanging on to a past that has little impact on your current adventure as a manager is weird to me. How is what he accomplished with them any of help to us as a club ? I doubt any serious big club would be interested in him in the current context. Whou would be interested to sign him ?

What LVG achieved previously as a manager (he had a good career) meant feck all to us either when in the end he was sacked and it won't be a surprise if the same fate of Mourinho.

Son Of Sam

I don't share this view at all. Real Madrid's stint isn't that recent anyway. Hanging on to a past that has little impact on your current adventure as a manager is weird to me. How is what he accomplished with them any of help to us as a club ? I doubt any serious big club would be interested in him in the current context. Whou would be interested to sign him ?
It hasn’t been any of help to us as a club because that board has refused to back him. Would any other manager in the world win a PL title with the current squad?

What LVG achieved previously as a manager (he had a good career) meant feck all to us either when in the end he was sacked and it won't be a surprise if the same fate of Mourinho.
Jose is far more successful than LVG. He’s won stuff everywhere he’s been. His record speaks for itself and this is why he’s in hot demand each time he leaves a club. If we sack him tonight, there’s an array of clubs that would be begging for his signature. He can never run out of clubs to manage....it’s not an opinion, it’s a fact!

kouroux

It hasn’t been any of help to us as a club because that board has refused to back him. Would any other manager in the world win a PL title with the current squad?

Jose is far more successful than LVG. He’s won stuff everywhere he’s been. His record speaks for itself and this is why he’s in hot demand each time he leaves a club. If we sack him tonight, there’s an array of clubs that would be begging for his signature. He can never run out of clubs to manage....it’s not an opinion, it’s a fact!
The board refused to back him ? Yeah well that's according to him and tbh if you look at all the money he's spent since his arrival, it's hard to say he hasn't been backed. He has spent a lot and he cannot most of his purchases to play better than they were in their previous clubs.
The LVG mention wasn't a direct comparison between their career but an example to tell you that despite previous illustrious achievements as a manager, when you join certain clubs, they don't matter anymore.

Son Of Sam

The board refused to back him ? Yeah well that's according to him and tbh if you look at all the money he's spent since his arrival, it's hard to say he hasn't been backed. He has spent a lot and he cannot most of his purchases to play better than they were in their previous clubs.
The LVG mention wasn't a direct comparison between their career but an example to tell you that despite previous illustrious achievements as a manager, when you join certain clubs, they don't matter anymore.
If you think Jose has been backed, what then do you say about Pep? Pep as a manager inherited a squad that finished as league champions in the penultimate season before he arrived. Pep inherited a squad that already had arguably 5 world class players in the squad and yet he was still given £500m warchest to improve the squad.

Jose on the other hand inherited a shit squad that only managed to reach top 4 once in the previous 3 seasons. . Jose inherited a squad that had only one world class player in De Gea. Jose has spent way less than Pep even though Pep’s rebuilding job is a child’s play in comparison to Jose’s.

Yet, you somehow expect this Jose to not only mount a title challenge but to beat Pep’s monstrous team to the premier league title? I ask - is Jose a magician? Would Pep have won any trophy with Young, Valencia, Jones & Smalling in his defence? If he could work such magic....why did he finish barren in his first season with Sagna, Kolarov, Zabaleta and Clichy?

Kag

If you think Jose has been backed, what then do you say about Pep? Pep as a manager inherited a squad that finished as league champions in the penultimate season before he arrived. Pep inherited a squad that already had arguably 5 world class players in the squad and yet he was still given £500m warchest to improve the squad.

Jose on the other hand inherited a shit squad that only managed to reach top 4 once in the previous 3 seasons. . Jose inherited a squad that had only one world class player in De Gea. Jose has spent way less than Pep even though Pep’s rebuilding job is a child’s play in comparison to Jose’s.

Yet, you somehow expect this Jose to not only mount a title challenge but to beat Pep’s monstrous team to the premier league title? I ask - is Jose a magician? Would Pep have won any trophy with Young, Valencia, Jones & Smalling in his defence? If he could work such magic....why did he finish barren in his first season with Sagna, Kolarov, Zabaleta and Clichy?
Young and Valencia play out of choice. Mourinho thinks they're brilliant full backs. When will people like you actually understand this before taking a pop at the board? He's signed a full first team of players apart from a right winger (I'd include Mkhitaryan, but that'll only weaken your argument further). This is discounting the obligation he's had to develop Martial and Rashford into quality players that could occupy only one of the positions he's yet to buy for out of eleven.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
You've just answered your own question, he'd have dumped them

Son Of Sam

Young and Valencia play out of choice. Mourinho thinks they're brilliant full backs. When will people like you actually understand this before taking a pop at the board? He's signed a full first team of players apart from a right winger (I'd include Mkhitaryan, but that'll only weaken your argument further). This is discounting the obligation he's had to develop Martial and Rashford into quality players that could occupy only one of the positions he's yet to buy for out of eleven.
He doesn’t think they are brilliant fullbacks - that’s just PR. Jose isn’t demented or suddenly suffering from amnesia. He’s worked with the best of the best. He even broke FA regulations to sign Ashley Cole back then. He knows retired wingers that are 33 years of age can’t be the best fullback he can work with on the planet.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
How is it meaningless? He won La Liga. He’s won a league title in every country he’s managed a club. His La Liga achievement is super-relevant to his career.
Defenders of LVG during his tenure at United threw similar arguments out.

Edit. Earlier poster raised similar view.

Last edited:

Kag

He doesn’t think they are brilliant fullbacks - that’s just PR. Jose isn’t demented or suddenly suffering from amnesia. He’s worked with the best of the best. He even broke FA regulations to sign Ashley Cole back then. He knows retired wingers that are 33 years of age can’t be the best fullback he can work with on the planet.
Which explains why he's made no effort to replace them in five transfers windows, apart from Dalot who we know nothing about. He thinks they're really good and that's about all there is to it, I'm afraid.

Son Of Sam

Which explains why he's made no effort to replace them in five transfers windows, apart from Dalot who we know nothing about. He thinks they're really good and that's about all there is to it, I'm afraid.
He’s not made the effort because the board has not shown they are ready. According to Jose, he submitted 5 names as far back as April, only one of them has been bought. How sure are you that the other 4 aren’t fullbacks? If Jose didn’t reveal this, you’d be in your utopia believing Jose is satisfied with Valencia as a fullback.

With the state at which both clubs were before Jose arrived, he should have bought more than 30 players by now. If Pep has been able to buy a staggering 21 players to a squad that never left the top 4 before his arrival; how many should Jose have bought to a squad that made the top 4 once in 3 years?

This is simple logic....

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
UTD have money to spend, and have either chosen not the spend it this window, or don’t trust the manager enough to spend it, based on the vibes he’s been given out for the past 12 months. However, they have spent a lot of money in recent windows, whether on sky high wages and signing on fees such as Sanchez and Ibrahimovic or through Lukaku, Matic, Mata, Pogba, Martial, Falcao, Di Maria, Mikhataryan, Lindelof, who all cost decent amounts, with a few records thrown in.

Mourinho and his attitude, has created an issue for him in my opinion, and wallets won’t be opened as much when a managers future is on the line... he has a history of throwing his toys out the pram whether he likes it or not, and the current mindset isn’t helping to dispel that.

Kag

He’s not made the effort because the board has not shown they are ready. According to Jose, he submitted 5 names as far back as April, only one of them has been bought. How sure are you that the other 4 aren’t fullbacks? If Jose didn’t reveal this, you’d be in your utopia believing Jose is satisfied with Valencia as a fullback.

With the state at which both clubs were before Jose arrived, he should have bought more than 30 players by now. If Pep has been able to buy a staggering 21 players to a squad that never left the top 4 before his arrival; how many should Jose have bought to a squad that made the top 4 once in 3 years?

This is simple logic....
Mourinho has been backed with millions of pounds. He's since served up football that Bournemouth fans would relent. They've even scored more than us in one of his league campaigns here. He's been backed, we've brought in excellent players during this time and he's a huge fan of both Valencia and Young. Just because you think they're shite does not mean that he does. If you disagree then so be it, but no manager needs to replace a full starting eleven (and then some) to play some semblance of dynamic and entertaining football.

Son Of Sam

Mourinho has been backed with millions of pounds. He's since served up football that Bournemouth fans would relent. They've even scored more than us in one of his league campaigns here. He's been backed, we've brought in excellent players during this time and he's a huge fan of both Valencia and Young. Just because you think they're shite does not mean that he does. If you disagree then so be it, but no manager needs to replace a full starting eleven (and then some) to play some semblance of dynamic and entertaining football.
He’s not been backed. You cannot tell me Pep has been backed and then use the same statement for Jose. That’s just ridiculous. Jose has actually done beyond my expectation considering the state of the squad he inherited & the miserable amount of money he’s been given to improve it.

Of the 9 players Jose has brought in, 2 have since left. So 7 players, a very good goalkeeper and 3 average players are expected to compete with Pep’s 18 players bought plus the 5 world class players he inherited? You gotta be kidding me...

Then you mentioned the players Jose was given an obligation to improve. So let me get this straight, Pep gets a pass to sell Iheanacho & discard Joe Hart(England’s #1) as at then but Jose must break his back to improve Martial/Rashford? Such double standards from the media & the fact that you are kowtowing it is nauseating.

kouroux

I don't care about Pep but to answer your question Pep has been backed and he's gotten the players he wanted but the most important thing is that he's gotten to perform much better than Jose has with the ones he got.

When did I say I expect Jose to mount a title, when did I compare him to Pep ? Where have I said I expect Mourinho's team to be better than Pep's. If you're inventing things then yeah you will an invisible argument with no one :lol:

Jose has been backed since his arrival, to say otherwise is crazy considering what he has spent so far and even crazier when all his purchases have been underwelming to say the least in comparison to how we hoped they could perform

Exactly. Jose cries about transfers but it's outstanding how much he's already spent. The man cannot get the good players who were here to perform well and his buys haven't been that good.

Son Of Sam

I don't care about Pep but to answer your question Pep has been backed and he's gotten the players he wanted but the most important thing is that he's gotten to perform much better than Jose has with the ones he got.
You don’t care about Pep but little did you know that without Pep, Jose would have won the PL last season and this thread wouldn’t even exist.

It appears he’s performed better with the ones he’s got because he had inherited several quality players. Sane has KDB & David Silva treading intelligent passes. Mkhitaryan had Fellaini & Lingard. Even a kid of 5 knows which player would look better with the delivery he gets. It’s not rocket science....surrounding quality with quality begets quality. Surrounding quality with mediocrity begets mediocrity.

When did I say I expect Jose to mount a title, when did I compare him to Pep ? Where have I said I expect Mourinho's team to be better than Pep's. If you're inventing things then yeah you will an invisible argument with no one :lol:
So you don’t expect Jose to mount a title challenge, he’s finished 2nd and you are still moaning he’s underperformed. What other position could he attain if you don’t expect the first position?

Jose has been backed since his arrival, to say otherwise is crazy considering what he has spent so far and even crazier when all his purchases have been underwelming to say the least in comparison to how we hoped they could perform
He has not been backed enough to win the PL title in my opinion. City have the better squad before both managers arrived. The chasm has even gotten wider since both have arrived because of the obscene amount of squad investment done by City. Saying this - I think Jose finishing 2nd last season is the best possible position he could have copped. Anyone expecting more actually believes Jose can walk on water.

Exactly. Jose cries about transfers but it's outstanding how much he's already spent. The man cannot get the good players who were here to perform well and his buys haven't been that good.
How much has he spent? £390m that is less than 2 Neymars? Can 2 Neymars even win a football game against an under-14 team?

kouroux

You don’t care about Pep but little did you know that without Pep, Jose would have won the PL last season and this thread wouldn’t even exist.

It appears he’s performed better with the ones he’s got because he had inherited several quality players. Sane has KDB & David Silva treading intelligent passes. Mkhitaryan had Fellaini & Lingard. Even a kid of 5 knows which player would look better with the delivery he gets. It’s not rocket science....surrounding quality with quality begets quality. Surrounding quality with mediocrity begets mediocrity.
I don't care about Pep, why are you trying to force to talk about him ?? He did win the league and this thread exists, smh...

So you don’t expect Jose to mount a title challenge, he’s finished 2nd and you are still moaning he’s underperformed. What other position could he attain if you don’t expect the first position?

He has not been backed enough to win the PL title in my opinion. City have the better squad before both managers arrived. The chasm has even gotten wider since both have arrived because of the obscene amount of squad investment done by City. Saying this - I think Jose finishing 2nd last season is the best possible position he could have copped. Anyone expecting more actually believes Jose can walk on water.
[/quote]
I don't care about mounting a league title challenge if the football on display is terrible to watch. I'm looking for a balance between competing and entertainement.
[/quote]

How much has he spent? £390m that is less than 2 Neymars? Can 2 Neymars even win a football game against an under-14 team?
You really love to talk about things that aren't linked the conversation don't you ? Who the feck cares about Neymar, that was a release clause that was triggered. With that money you mentioned, look at all the number of players he's brought in. You sure can play much better than that with those. 2 Neymars he says, wtf :lol:
That is also the equivalent of 11 N'Golo Kante but you won't see me a pointless analogy like that

Andersons Dietician

No, simply because United do not have the funds available to allow for an unrestricted spending spree. Same is true of any football club the world over besides PSG.
But the purchases probably would have been different and he’d probably have been able to use quite a few of what LVG had brought in plus added Sane Jesus for 65 mil to Martial and Rashford. Mata would probably be playing as a CAM, might have bought B.Silva for 45 and play him in the same role and either have Blind as DM or a CB, have Shaw playing a tune. Would have needed midfield options and probably a RB and then just overall strengthinging.

We’ll never know so it’s a bit of a pointless debate. He has bought well and bought a lot.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But the purchases probably would have been different and he’d probably have been able to use quite a few of what LVG had brought in plus added Sane Jesus for 65 mil to Martial and Rashford. Mata would probably be playing as a CAM, might have bought B.Silva for 45 and play him in the same role and either have Blind as DM or a CB, have Shaw playing a tune. Would have needed midfield options and probably a RB and then just overall strengthinging.

We’ll never know so it’s a bit of a pointless debate. He has bought well and bought a lot.
There are a fair few assumptions in this post and nothing in the way of fact. The only thing we know for certain is his spending would have been restricted at United, rather than the bottomless pit he has available at City.

Pep has certainly bought well, this cannot be debated.

cyberman

Why are we pretending its news that Pep only works at clubs he can spend whatever he wants? Old news.
Yeah, the fact Pep has managed 3 clubs in 10 years yet Pep having a restricted budget is still a hypothetical scenario should speak volumes about this discussion.
Is there anybody out there thats not convinced PSG will be his next club?

Andersons Dietician

There are a fair few assumptions in this post and nothing in the way of fact. The only thing we know for certain is his spending would have been restricted at United, rather than the bottomless pit he has available at City.

Pep has certainly bought well, this cannot be debated.
We don’t know that, you’re making assumptions as I did.

For the price of Pogba and Lukaku he could have brought in B.Silva, Jesus, Sane and Laporte that might be slightly more expensive but it would be close. We also looked all set to but Griezman, the extra 100 mil that would have cost must have been there just twice he has turned us down.(if papers are to be believed)

I think there is money there and a willingness to spend it on the right players, hence intrest in Mbappe and Neymar recently with Neymars dad even being in supposed discussions with United. So for me there is cash there it’s just not wanting to over pay for players the board so on deem as worth it. So I think Pep would have been backed and probably built a similar sort of team to what he has, outwith D Silva, Aguero, KDB and Kompany, but he’s had intrest in Laporte since he was in charge at Barca so i’d Imagine that and probably Stones would have been in his plans.

I think his spending has been so high due to the quick turnover tho and how quickly he brought in a lot of players. There was no fecking about, he was also helped by the not shopping for Galactico sort of names I guess.
I actually fully expected us to overtake his spending this summer or be within a ball hair of it as I didn’t expect them to add much and thought we would have pushed quite a lot and also gone for a marquee signing. Bale for example.

Again all just wild speculation press rumours and stuff I’ve heard over the years. We’ll never know and I doubt he will ever manage at United now anyway.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We don’t know that, you’re making assumptions as I did.

For the price of Pogba and Lukaku he could have brought in B.Silva, Jesus, Sane and Laporte that might be slightly more expensive but it would be close. We also looked all set to but Griezman, the extra 100 mil that would have cost must have been there just twice he has turned us down.(if papers are to be believed)

I think there is money there and a willingness to spend it on the right players, hence intrest in Mbappe and Neymar recently with Neymars dad even being in supposed discussions with United. So for me there is cash there it’s just not wanting to over pay for players the board so on deem as worth it. So I think Pep would have been backed and probably built a similar sort of team to what he has, outwith D Silva, Aguero, KDB and Kompany, but he’s had intrest in Laporte since he was in charge at Barca so i’d Imagine that and probably Stones would have been in his plans.

Again all just wild speculation press rumours and stuff I’ve heard over the years. We’ll never know and I doubt he will ever manage at United now anyway.
I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Pep would have recieved a significantly smaller transfer budget at United than he has at City.

Andersons Dietician

I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Pep would have recieved a significantly smaller transfer budget at United than he has at City.
I think his spending has been so high due to the quick turnover tho and how quickly he brought in a lot of players. There was no fecking about, he was also helped by the not shopping for Galactico sort of names I guess.
I actually fully expected us to overtake his spending this summer or be within a ball hair of it as I didn’t expect them to add much and thought we would have pushed quite a lot and also gone for a marquee signing. Bale for example.
Sorry I had added in a bit to the original post. I think he would have been backed just as much or close. What is the current difference 150-200 mil. In this market that is nothing :lol: it’s a Bale or a Griezman. Market has gone crazy.

Dorock

Supports
Fenerbahçe
The fact that jose spent around 400m is due to the clubs Galactico policy am I wrong? Im sure he would be happier right now if he got the players with the profile that he wants without thinking about the marketibility of them etc. He did it at Real when he signed the likes of Ozil and Di Maria at the time when they were not superstars and not marketible in any way. If the board and supporters want young ant future Ballon D'or contender players at all fronts, how it is Jose's fault to spend 400m? If it were completely up to him without all the other regards to consider before making a MUTD transfer nowadays, he would have delivered today with even 11 Perisic on the field. I have no doubt about it. Im sure he would have gathered a squad that could have delivered with 1/4 of that 400m.