Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If it's that easy, why didn't other coaches get them to play his type of expansive football?

I'm curious though, if he isn't a great coach, what do you think all the big clubs and football experts see in him that makes them rate him so highly?
I mean if he leaves City tomorrow, clubs will be lining up to get him, why do you think that is?
Didn't say it was easy. Easier for someone of his obvious ability.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
And why is that? I’m unsure what Pep has done to suggest he can work with anything but the best squad and the best players.
Because it's common sense?

I don't need to see SAF manage in the Championship to know he would do a good job with Accrington Stanley if he went there after his retirement.

And some managerial skills are applicable across the spectrum. If you have proved them at one level, it's a safe bet you can replicate them at levels below that. I'm supposed to believe a manager that has successfully managed world class players and taught them advanced tactics, would struggle to tell Chris Wood and Ben Mee how and where to hoof the ball?

Zen86

I don't need to see SAF manage in the Championship to know he would do a good job with Accrington Stanley if he went there after his retirement.

And some managerial skills are applicable across the spectrum. If you have proved them at one level, it's a safe bet you can replicate them at levels below that. I'm supposed to believe a manager that has successfully managed world class players and taught them advanced tactics, would struggle to tell Chris Wood and Ben Mee how and where to hoof the ball?
“Advanced tactics” :lol:

He’s never managed even the second best team in any given league, let alone relegation scrappers with little budget and little technical ability.

If he found himself in the ridiculous scenario of managing Burnley, the likelihood is he’d throw a tantrum and walk out the door within a few weeks.

Last edited:

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
But, and this is the point I'm making, given the vast amounts of money he has at his disposal, he is not a great coach because he hasn't accomplished as much as he should with that kind of money. He's a decent coach, but I don't think I'm crass when I say every league in Europe has 3-4 coaches that could accomplish similar things with that kind of budget.

Edit: Also, let's not forget that players want to play under him, so he's got that kind of appeal to him, too. Makes transfers a little easier.
Sorry but other than maybe winning another CL, what else could he have achieved that he's failed to ?
If there were 3-4 coaches in every league as good as him, why aren't they as sort after as Pep? Pep doesn't only get his teams to win, he makes sure they do it playing a special brand of expansive football and that's what the clubs that hire him wants, not just to win.
And maybe players want to play under him because they consider him a great coach?

And why is that? I’m unsure what Pep has done to suggest he can work with anything but the best squad and the best players.
So using this logic, we should assume that Klopp wouldn't do well at a club with big names and big egos then? Or that Zidane wouldn't do well if he doesn't have big name players?

Fluctuation0161

Yes

People say Sean Dyche has done well at Burnley. I don't think it's a stretch to say Pep could at the very least, maintain that level
Yet he has never succeed without the very best players. In fact he has underachieved in his first season and City. So considering you have no examples, it is a stretch.

Even Jose had the Porto example. Fergie had Aberdeen. Klopp has achieved alot without breaking spending records (although not on the scale of Jose and Fergie's over achievements above).

Fluctuation0161

You think tippy tappy football is applicable across the spectrum? You think that would work with below average players losing the ball all the time?

Fluctuation0161

Sorry but other than maybe winning another CL, what else could he have achieved that he's failed to ?
If there were 3-4 coaches in every league as good as him, why aren't they as sort after as Pep? Pep doesn't only get his teams to win, he makes sure they do it playing a special brand of expansive football and that's what the clubs that hire him wants, not just to win.
And maybe players want to play under him because they consider him a great coach?
Pep has certainly picked his clubs very well. He is the best in the World at that.

Munich who always win the national league.

City with unlimited budgets and he inherited a very strong squad.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Why nobody is not questioning his quotes about 60mil pounds income? For who?
He is counting Sane every year from now on apparently. Next year they will also be able to discount 50 million from Sane sale.

Zen86

So using this logic, we should assume that Klopp wouldn't do well at a club with big names and big egos then? Or that Zidane wouldn't do well if he doesn't have big name players?
That’s not really following any logic at all now is it? But hey, I’ll bite.

Klopp doesn’t have much to prove right now, having won the biggest trophies without “big names and big egos” as you rather naively put it.

Most people would say Zidane is still an unknown quantity at this point, so that isn’t doing very much for whatever point you’re trying to make.

adexkola

Supports
You think tippy tappy football is applicable across the spectrum? You think that would work with below average players losing the ball all the time?
It's his preference, but you think he can't coach counter attacking or hoof the ball tactics? :lol:

I'll skip over detailed examples because I know your mind is made up on this issue.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Asked and answered.

Inherited most of the greatest club side ever (and improved it no doubt).

Went to a dominant one horse league and a team who had literally just won the CL. He never did.

Spent a billion, not won a CL.

If you manage those three sides, have all those great players, spend that much, you need to win more CLs.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It's ok he's able to spend that much but this only puts more pressure on him each time he doesn't win the UCL, still a top coach and a bit of a victim of his own success. Would like him to losse the league this year but looks unlikely unless Liverpool get's their shit together or Chelsea has a very good start.

adexkola

Supports
Of course. You can't estimate the likelihood of a manager doing something they've never done. You think in the real world, people get promoted to do tasks they've never done, based on qualities they've demonstrated in other roles?

:angel:

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
It's ok he's able to spend that much but this only puts more pressure on him each time he doesn't win the UCL, still a top coach and a bit of a victim of his own success. Would like him to losse the league this year but looks unlikely unless Liverpool get's their shit together or Chelsea has a very good start.
I think it’s an open league this season the only way I’d think they’d win if they sign Kane otherwise neither Chelsea or United have an excuse.

adexkola

Supports
Mourinho did it the smart way. Fail so much at top roles that when he bounces back at a Tottenham or Roma, it is held up as proof of his quality, ignoring the reason why he got to those levels at the first place.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Mourinho did it the smart way. Fail so much at top roles that when he bounces back at a Tottenham or Roma, it is held up as proof of his quality, ignoring the reason why he got to those levels at the first place.
I don't think he was failing until perhaps Tottenham, that was a bit underwhelming and while he wasn't super succesful he did had a good stint on Chelsea and improved what previous managers had accomplisehd at Manchester United. He's a more pragmatic coach and not someone you would entrust a project like Manchester City who want to be a copy of Barcelona and have a very specific vision of the playstyle they want to implement.

hobbers

£40m on Ake, more excellent scouting work done there and thanks to the financial doping it doesnt even matter.

Pep has spent £530m on defenders/goalkeeprs alone. Incredible.

SER19

Cashiola in the market for his 100th full back after this.

Jaxa

It’s weird so much money spent but no real Striker in that team, well a great one anyway , I don’t rate Jesus at all.

They’ve also not replaced one of the greatest PL strikers ever in Aguero, Grealish is a fantastic signing but imo Kane would be much more important, they should have splashed all there cash on him before securing Grealish.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What baldie still needs:

- Backup GK (50m)
- CB (70m)
- Backup FB (60m)
- DM (70m)
- RW (100m)
- Kane (200m)

Reckon that'll be enough to compete in games like these.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
£40m on Ake, more excellent scouting work done there and thanks to the financial doping it doesnt even matter.

Pep has spent £530m on defenders/goalkeeprs alone. Incredible.
Who needs scouting? He knows that he will use player one or two years and replace him.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I don't know much about F1, but don't the best drivers get to drive the best cars? And the best teams spend the most money, right? So, no matter who managed City, they'd still be spending truckloads. Can't fault Pep for that.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
You can fault him for how much he's got wrong though.

When it comes to transfers he's a "throw enough shit at the wall and something will stick" chequebook sort.
Isn't that every big club? :lol: I mean even smaller clubs do this they just spent less on players, but they go through a lot of failed transfers.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Chequebook manager.

passing-wind

He'll have an unbalanced first 11. Still can't see the necessity for Grealish. I think the more he spends the less credit he'll get at city. For one manager alone to spend close to a billion in transfer fees is unheard of.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Clubs only care about winning, specifically the money and fame (= marketability = money) attached to a title. Otherwise Mourinho would never get a job anywhere. And I'll reserve judgment until Pep accomplishes something at a club that doesn't blow money up his arse. He blew his chance at Bayern, so far it's not looking good.

RoyH1

What baldie still needs:

- Backup GK (50m)
- CB (70m)
- Backup FB (60m)
- DM (70m)
- RW (100m)
- Kane (200m)

Reckon that'll be enough to compete in games like these.
I'm not sure that's enough. I think UEFA should give them a special exemption to able to borrow players from opponents for big European ties.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Money no object there's not a better manager working in the game today. However Pep's brand of football is totally unique and requires the very best in order for it to work well.

I doubt he'd have been able to take Liverpool to the league title like Klopp did. I don't think he'd have managed to take Aberdeen past the old firm like Fergie did either. That being said I'd love him to be our manager as we do spend similar amounts to City, albeit through money we actually generate.