g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pep's spending is insane (£941m and counting at City)

fellaini's barber

Jose’s rebuilding job was 3 times more difficult than Pep’s. Jose inherited a squat that finished 5th & 7th....only made top 4 once.

Pep inherited a squad that never dropped out of the top 4 and actually won the league under Pellegrini.

For parity to be restored, Jose must spend 3 times as much as Pep - and even that is no guarantee cos Jose must still compete with Pep for the title.
Doesn't explain why teams we outspend by a wide margin are not 20 points behind us while managing to play good football. What a ridiculous post. This is worse than the myth LVG fanboys invented about us becoming awesome 5 years after he's gone. Will be hilarious to read your excuses when we don't even make it to second this season

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Jose’s rebuilding job was 3 times more difficult than Pep’s. Jose inherited a squat that finished 5th & 7th....only made top 4 once.

Pep inherited a squad that never dropped out of the top 4 and actually won the league under Pellegrini.

For parity to be restored, Jose must spend 3 times as much as Pep - and even that is no guarantee cos Jose must still compete with Pep for the title.
Don't even know where to start?
Why stop at 3, why not 10. Something like that is unquantifiable.
As for needing to spend three times more to win the league...you can't be serious.

Oooh_aaah_cantona

I’ll have Mou’s job then. Spend 3x as much and still no need to win the title.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Here @padr81 let's play that game

So are you arguing we were on equal footing despite a top 4 place predicted for us and a likely title win for you lot?

So even, so so even
No I wasn't arguing that, you were. I can play that game with your old posts all day buddy (old fullbacks, no midfield, crocked Aguero who only scored crosses, United coming to pass us led by Mkhi of all people), also don't take it so personally, shit happens you were wrong, but a side of that is I get to call you out on your revisionism (our team was shite, Pep would be gone and dodge the blame, in their first transfer windows Jose had bought amazing, Pep wrong).

I can throw up many posts where I said what was wrong with that City team at the time and what Pep was doing to fix it, how it was going to be fixed, how it was an improvement which strangely came to pass and I'm no expert.

You are completely changing your opinion of what he inherited so I think its fair to call you out on it buddy. I have not changed my opinion on what either inherited, that's the difference. I openely said that season we were unperforming, just not as much you guys.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What’s City’s wage spend compared to United’s? No I’m not trolling I just can’t be assed googling.
Pretty much both are on a par, Uniteds marginally higher but thats likely to change with us offering many new deals.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Pretty much both are on a par, Uniteds marginally higher but thats likely to change with us offering many new deals.
Has City signed anyone for this season? Completely out of touch with the transfer market.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Has City signed anyone for this season? Completely out of touch with the transfer market.
No but KDB got a pay boost and there's one incoming for Jesus and possibly Sterling (if we give the latter £300k per week, I'll beat myself with a shovel). Jorginho will probably arrive at some stage to replace Yaya but its dragging out a bit.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
No but KDB got a pay boost and there's one incoming for Jesus and possibly Sterling (if we give the latter £300k per week, I'll beat myself with a shovel). Jorginho will probably arrive at some stage to replace Yaya but its dragging out a bit.
I think United will sign more and spend more, I don't want to read the state of this thread in a few months if things don't change much...

Anyway don't think City can afford the luxury to rely only on the same squad adding Jorginho unless finally Pep is going to give some more chances to Academy players. Foden, Brahim Diaz and who else more?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think United will sign more and spend more, I don't want to read the state of this thread in a few months if things don't change much...

Anyway don't think City can afford the luxury to rely only on the same squad adding Jorginho unless finally Pep is going to give some more chances to Academy players. Foden, Brahim Diaz and who else more?
I think we'll probably go for a winger and LB too. Mahrez is the linked one but no LB. Other then that I can't see too much. We'll spend £150-£200m on 3 players I'd say and that will be it.

Big seasons coming up for the older youths I think as opposed to Foden and Diaz, I think a lot will be seeing the door, all the players who are 20 or over and haven't made it. so Adarabioyo, Roberts, Aleix Garcia basically it looks like they'll never be our level so it'll either be leave for first team football or go on loan again.

Angelino, Maffeo have already been sold which is disappointing (for a combined £13m which is more disappointing, especially with Maffeo being man of the match vs both Messi and Ronaldo this season.) following Ntcham to Celtic last season (£4.5m) and suggest our youth teams might be just a cash farm, with only truly exceptional talents getting a run.

Angus Gunn might make the squad this season if we get shot of Bravo but I won't be holding my breath. Its probably been the most disappointing thing of the Pep reign for me (the lack of youths getting in the first team squad) and Pep has given his reason's why.. but still I'd like to see one or two in the squad every week.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City

Why not?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Think Gunn will be sold in the summer and like you say every other player over 21 who hasn't made it yet, think hopes are higher for the next cohort who are 16-20

Son Of Sam

Doesn't explain why teams we outspend by a wide margin are not 20 points behind us while managing to play good football. What a ridiculous post. This is worse than the myth LVG fanboys invented about us becoming awesome 5 years after he's gone. Will be hilarious to read your excuses when we don't even make it to second this season
We finished 2nd. The only team that finished above us spent more money than us. If Jose could finish 2nd with that dross of a squad, imagine what he would have achieved with Silva, KDB, Aguero, Fernandinho, Sterling, Kompany, etc.

When Jose arrived at Old Trafford, De Gea was the only quality player we had. Jose added 7 players & we jumped from 6th to 2nd. That we finished 2nd last season is a testament of Jose’s man management. Only Jose could have finished 2nd with that squad. The squad has too many passengers.

Greck

My God

Probably agree and disagree with some of that. Using Mendy as an example is not a particularly good one imo. He's a great player who was very unfortunate to get injured early on. Stones would probably be a better example as he cost a fortune and doesn't get a look in anymore, yet very little is made of it.

I just find it a very convenient excuse to use and somewhat absolves Jose or United of any responsibility. It surely must come to a point when the two managers have been there for enough time and spent such an asinine amount of money that the squad they will eventually end up with has little resemblance to the squad they had when they took over. Therefore, the "started off from a better base" argument will lose relevance as time goes on. I do agree that we have to be a little more prudent with our finances though compared to City. That's just what happens when you win the lottery like they did unfortunately.
It depends how it goes for City over the next few years. If they continue to outspend everyone else every single window and continue to stockpile record transfers in every position, there's not really much Jose can do about it. He can create a great squad that would ordinarily walk the league but what City do is quite literally the definition of financial doping. It's not just us, nobody will be able to catch them.

Shaun Oldman

It depends how it goes for City over the next few years. If they continue to outspend everyone else every single window and continue to stockpile record transfers in every position, there's not really much Jose can do about it. He can create a great squad that would ordinarily walk the league but what City do is quite literally the definition of financial doping. It's not just us, nobody will be able to catch them.
Continue to stockpile record transfers?

Defence aside their record transfers aren't that big in the grand scheme of things, I know it doesn't fit the narrative but the reality is that Pep has also signed pretty well if truth be told.

City have done it in a completely different way to PSG, haven't they.

Bestietom

Should be an inquiry into who is buying all these 40k season tickets. The Etihad stadium at best seems just half full.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Because the other teams will improve, not only United but also Liverpool, at least these 2 certainly will improve.
Improve perhaps, but the current City squad plus Jorginho would go into next season as title favourites for me. I think just picking up 1 or 2 players is a luxury City can afford this summer, such was the gap to rivals last season.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Must have said it a million times, once more won't hurt.
For all the money he has spent, he has gotten the players he has decided to work with, playing at an unbelievable level. The signs were there in the second part of his first season.
I don't believe they have a team full of extraordinary players. Imo, the only players they have who are genuinely world class are KDB, Silva and Aguero. The rest have just slotted into a system and have turnes it into a well oiled machine.
Apart from those three, just have a loot at the others outside of that team? You'd hardly believe they are key members of a team that got 100 points .
This is a good post. The difference for me between the 2 clubs as things stand is primarily the managers. Mourinho has been a serial winner but I feel he’s lost his mojo a bit (not United’s fault as it goes back to before he took the United job), whereas Guardiola can still get a tune out of his players.

Even accounting for the fact that Guardiola probably had more players suited to his style of play when he took the City job than United had, I reckon if he’d took over United and Mourinho City in the summer of 2016, we’d be having the same conversation now but in reverse and it would be City in the rear view mirror.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Why is this thread still going? Baldy spends more money than any other manager (except for Emery who barely spent any money except for one season with PSG) and builds very good teams with that money.

Has it turned into a manager debate again?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
This is a good post. The difference for me between the 2 clubs as things stand is primarily the managers. Mourinho has been a serial winner but I feel he’s lost his mojo a bit (not United’s fault as it goes back to before he took the United job), whereas Guardiola can still get a tune out of his players.

Even accounting for the fact that Guardiola probably had more players suited to his style of play when he took the City job than United had, I reckon if he’d took over United and Mourinho City in the summer of 2016, we’d be having the same conversation now but in reverse and it would be City in the rear view mirror.
With Rooney, Schneiderlin and Herrera in midfield then? I dont buy it for a second!

Its quite telling that Guardiola said he was unable to play the football he wanted due to his fullbacks in his first season. I would argue Kolarov is at least as good as Ashley Young.

Guardiola had a backbone of Fernandinho, D. Silva, Otamendi, Kompany and Aguero when he arrived. Man Utd had Smalling, Jones, Blind, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Rooney and Mata.

Some could argue that Martial and Rashford was as exciting as Sterling, and that Pep would have made them better than Mourinho. But at Man Utd he would have to do a very expensive overhaul of the backbone of our team (just like Mourinho). It would unable him to bring in fullbacks and wingers like B. Silva, Sane, Mendy, Walker and Danilo. And it would be difficult to spend as much on defenders as he has on Laporte and Stones (both more expensive than Lindelof and Bailly).

Pep is a great coach, but it is difficult to argue how he would have done with Man Utd because he has never been in charge of a club in a similar state as Man Utd in 2016.

fellaini's barber

With Rooney, Schneiderlin and Herrera in midfield then? I dont buy it for a second!

Its quite telling that Guardiola said he was unable to play the football he wanted due to his fullbacks in his first season. I would argue Kolarov is at least as good as Ashley Young.

Guardiola had a backbone of Fernandinho, D. Silva, Otamendi, Kompany and Aguero when he arrived. Man Utd had Smalling, Jones, Blind, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Rooney and Mata.

Some could argue that Martial and Rashford was as exciting as Sterling, and that Pep would have made them better than Mourinho. But at Man Utd he would have to do a very expensive overhaul of the backbone of our team (just like Mourinho). It would unable him to bring in fullbacks and wingers like B. Silva, Sane, Mendy, Walker and Danilo. And it would be difficult to spend as much on defenders as he has on Laporte and Stones (both more expensive than Lindelof and Bailly).

Pep is a great coach, but it is difficult to argue how he would have done with Man Utd because he has never been in charge of a club in a similar state as Man Utd in 2016.
Laporte and Stones have shown absolutely nothing to suggest that they're significantly better than Lindelof and Bailly. You complain about united having a backbone of Smalling, Jones, Blind etc so whats the solution, buy better players right? In all you peoples excuses you forget we've spent a lot of money on defenders too except our manager seems still prefers playing Jones and Smalling ahead of them. As for Mendy, B. SIilva, Sane,Walker and Danilo you do realise we could have bought those same players with the amount of money Jose has spent here too right. How long are we going to keep moaning about the players Jose inherited, especially when he's begging the likes of Fellaini to stay and and these inherited players are more useful to him than the players he bought himself?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Laporte and Stones have shown absolutely nothing to suggest that they're significantly better than Lindelof and Bailly. You complain about united having a backbone of Smalling, Jones, Blind etc so whats the solution, buy better players right? In all you peoples excuses you forget we've spent a lot of money on defenders too except our manager seems still prefers playing Jones and Smalling ahead of them. As for Mendy, B. SIilva, Sane,Walker and Danilo you do realise we could have bought those same players with the amount of money Jose has spent here too right. How long are we going to keep moaning about the players Jose inherited, especially when he's begging the likes of Fellaini to stay and and these inherited players are more useful to him than the players he bought himself?
He could, but not at the same time as investing in the «backbone» of our club. And this is also the reason Mourinho wanted Fellaini to stay; to avoid spending money that should be spent elsewhere.

Imagine that Matic, Pogba, Lukaku and a proper central defender was already at the club when Mourinho took charge in 2016. That would have been a similar situation to the one Guardiola had when he took charge of City. How would Mourinho invested £200 mill + in this case? My guess is that he would have bought players like Sane, B. Silva, Walker etc. Obviously not these players, but Mourinhos version of these players. Perisic for instance.

Would we be at 90 points + then? Seems probable in my opinion.

I have never been a fan of Mourinho (just check my history), but people are way too outcome biased in their evalution.

fellaini's barber

He could, but not at the same time as investing in the «backbone» of our club. And this is also the reason Mourinho wanted Fellaini to stay; to avoid spending money that should be spent elsewhere.

Imagine that Matic, Pogba, Lukaku and a proper central defender was already at the club when Mourinho took charge in 2016. That would have been a similar situation to the one Guardiola had when he took charge of City. How would Mourinho invested £200 mill + in this case? My guess is that he would have bought players like Sane, B. Silva, Walker etc. Obviously not these players, but Mourinhos version of these players. Perisic for instance.

Would we be at 90 points + then? Seems probable in my opinion.

I have never been a fan of Mourinho (just check my history), but people are way too outcome biased in their evalution.
Or maybe he would have bought Mkhi, Lindelof, Bailly and Sanchez and a bunch of other players who would either be flops or who he can't get the best of like Pogba which you mentioned. You're kidding yourself if you think Jose re signed Fellaini so he can spend money elsewhere, in case you haven't noticed over the past two seasons, Fellaini is a very important element to Jose's football plan here when fit.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Or maybe he would have bought Mkhi, Lindelof, Bailly and Sanchez and a bunch of other players who would either be flops or who he can't get the best of like Pogba which you mentioned. You're kidding yourself if you think Jose re signed Fellaini so he can spend money elsewhere, in case you haven't noticed over the past two seasons, Fellaini is a very important element to Jose's football plan here when fit.
He probably would have bought these players. But he would also have bought a few more. And increased numbers, and maybe to an even higher cost, would increase the chance of a few success stories. And the success stories would overshadow the attention of Mhiki or other players needing time. Similar to Pep buying Bravo, Nolito, Gundogan Stones, Laporte and B. Silva.

I would also argue that its easier to add new players to a group when you have a strong, established core like at City.

Bogga

They've got a couple of players that can play as LW and RW... Sane, Mahrez, B.Silva and Sterling... if you want any of those in the middle, it's a couple of more names that wants a spot. Some players are gonna rotate and spend time on the bench... wonder how they'll feel about that

SER19

Is this guy actually planning to purchase every single available £50M to £60M player in the World?

What are they going to do with them all?

What a cushy number though, play a few games, if you are lucky, and receive a full time salary.
Dont be daft, the guy is an innovator that bloods young talent. A genius.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I’ll have Mou’s job then. Spend 3x as much and still no need to win the title.
That's the thing, though.
MUFC's board will never sanction outspending MCFC by 3x. It just won't happen.
Jose will have to make do with less funds.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
They've got a couple of players that can play as LW and RW... Sane, Mahrez, B.Silva and Sterling... if you want any of those in the middle, it's a couple of more names that wants a spot. Some players are gonna rotate and spend time on the bench... wonder how they'll feel about that
they'll be fine, David Silva is going to be playing less this season, there will always be one or two with injuries and after a WC Summer some won't want to be playing every game at the start of the season, then when you're into September you start playing 2 games a week with the LC and Champions league and before you know it you're into Christmas.

currently 8 defenders, 12 midfielders (inc. Foden, Diaz and Zinchenko), 2 strikers, so it's not a massive squad

Inter Yer Nan

Can the narrative that Pep is a penny pincher who works on a shoestring budget signs bargains to play for peanuts and plays youth players galore now please stop? He's already spent more money then any manager in the history of football I'm sure and he only came onto the scene in 2008 and inherited big, successful squads.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
they'll be fine, David Silva is going to be playing less this season, there will always be one or two with injuries and after a WC Summer some won't want to be playing every game at the start of the season, then when you're into September you start playing 2 games a week with the LC and Champions league and before you know it you're into Christmas.

currently 8 defenders, 12 midfielders (inc. Foden, Diaz and Zinchenko), 2 strikers, so it's not a massive squad
Pep spent such a large amount of money when he endeavoured to create a squad capable of winning the premier league - more than any other manager in the history of football on planet earth - that he blew away the competition before a ball was kicked. Do you dispute this?

Squad size is irrelevant.

RedDevil@84

That's the thing, though.
MUFC's board will never sanction outspending MCFC by 3x. It just won't happen.
Jose will have to make do with less funds.
Exactly. There is no way Utd will sanction buying backup players for 60M or so. Leave alone the club, the media will just not sit quietly. They will keep reminding everyone how careers are being wasted and how the player should leave now. And then there is evil Jose vs Saint Pep.
Even many of the fans on caf will not accept a bench warmer for 60M getting 170K or more pw.

Josep Dowling

I’ve been having a look at the true cost of the City squad since Guardiola arrived and it really is insane. United are always perceived as big spenders. The number of articles I read where they go ‘Pogba, who cost £90m’ or ‘Lukaku, who hasn’t lived up to his £90m transfer’, when he cost £75m.

These transfer valuations are from transfermarkt. Since Guardiola joined City he has spent £540m. That is £150m more than United in the same space of time. And this doesn’t consider how inflated the market has gone over the last 3 years. I think we can say prices have more than doubled since his first season where he spent £192m.

Remember when they took the moral high ground last year over Sanchez’s wages? Money over Pep? Well they still managed to spend £285m on players.

When you consider the main core of his team was already there - De Bruyne, Aguero, D. Silva, Fernandinho, Sterling, Otamendi and Kompany - that is mental.

I don’t get care how wonderful his football is meant to be (personally I find watching a team with 70% possession quite boring), he can never be regarded as the best managers that has ever lived with his record in the transfer window.

It was the same when he was at Barcelona. He signed Zlatan for £59m plus Eto’o. That was basically £100m back in 2010!