Per Simon Stone: Our net spent is more than other European club in the last three years

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If we spend so much, we should be competing for the highest honors and not just Mickey Mouse cup. It is good that we are spending, but it is bad we are not competing at the same level as other clubs who spend so much as well
What you on about mate?

Steve Bruce

VDB is a quality player. The analogy you used is off because VDB is a top player that if utilized properly could be a great asset to our team.
He is a top quality player, but if Ole doesn't want him or rate him, he's not the right player to buy.

If you back your manager, you give him what he wants. If you give him something else regardless of how good he is then that's not backing your manager, that's forcing a player onto him

Skills

Snitch
ITT - Man Utd fans making excuses knowing their manager will still not be successful in the upcoming season.

Skills

Snitch
This, it has nothing to do with us splurging cash at all times and much more to do with being awful at offloading players.
At this moment in time, we've got the most expensive defender in the world, joint most expensive RB in the league, the most expensive midfielder in the league and the most expensive winger in the league. 3/4 were signed under Ole.

It has a lot to do with the amount of money we've spent.

tomaldinho1

Plenty of people still maintain that Mourinho wasn't backed. I don't think those are sane people but still, they exist.
I’ve not seen their ilk for some time. They are as rare as the dodo but, beware, they are vicious when cornered.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He is a top quality player, but if Ole doesn't want him or rate him, he's not the right player to buy.

If you back your manager, you give him what he wants. If you give him something else regardless of how good he is then that's not backing your manager, that's forcing a player onto him
VDB himself has said it was Ole that convinced him to come so saying he isn't an Ole signing doesn't make sense.

Skills

Snitch
VDB himself has said it was Ole that convinced him to come so saying he isn't an Ole signing doesn't make sense.
Nothing's an Ole signing up until it's successful. Cavani was a Woodward signing up until he started banging in goals, and then all of a sudden he was an Ole signing.

CM

It looks worse than the reality because of how hopeless we are at negotiating contracts for fringe players and consequently moving them on.

Brandon Williams is prime example, should've been moved on for a decent fee last summer or this summer but was instead given a big new contract. He's paid far too much for what he's done in the game, and the same goes for others like Dalot, Andreas and (to a lesser extent) Lingard who should be sellable assets.

RUCK4444

Nothing's an Ole signing up until it's successful. Cavani was a Woodward signing up until he started banging in goals, and then all of a sudden he was an Ole signing.
Every player is an Ole signing, the good and the bad. It’s fools here who claim one or the other.

The vast majority of our signings have been good.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Our net spend probably won't be higher all summer. And nobody else has even started spending yet. Good story though.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It means very little in a world where certain other clubs fiddle their books, outright cheat and pay wages under the table.

No point comparing with other teams. Just do what we can within our means to be competitive and continue to be an honest club.

It’s just unfortunate that the manager has to have the pressure of “more net spend than anyone else”, when we know it’s just not the reality.

Matthew84!

I see nothing wrong there, Utd have to spend, since Pep has been at City he's spent 850m so its either spend or fall further behind.
Plus that doesn't include this summer, so he could spend close to 1 billion.

Steve Bruce

I've never seen/heard that but if that's the case then I don't understand why Ole didn't use him last season.

To make something clear though, I'm not an Ole in or Ole out.

I think he deserves to have this season to succeed or fail. If he doesn't put trophies in the cabinet or a real title challenge then he needs to go at the end of the season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I see nothing wrong there, Utd have to spend, since Pep has been at City he's spent 850m so its either spend or fall further behind.
Plus that doesn't include this summer, so he could spend close to 1 billion.
No it isn't. Klopp didnt spend as much and won the PL and CL. Chelsea also won the CL.

sparx99

Oh! So three years is now the arbitrary window of evaluating net spend! Whatever the length of time fits the narrative I guess.

If we are going to compare things then only the cost of the players on the team (including placing a market value on youth players) and the wage bill matter.

At least they’ve stopped including Di Maria in our net spend! That was held over is for about 5 years.

cyberman

No it isn't. Klopp didnt spend as much and won the PL and CL. Chelsea also won the CL.
Klopp spent a fortune to win the league and Chelsea spent around a quarter of a billion last year?

sparx99

Klopp has spent big on Keita, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Alisson. He had a pretty good base to work off of and selling Coutinho offset a bunch of those signings.

sparx99

The truth is we’ve finally had decent success with some of our big signings.

AWB could be better but he’s definitely improved us. Maguire has been a solid success. Bruno has been off the charts. Cavani was a great free transfer.

Even if Dan James and VDB have been a bit disappointing we are starting to land some solid buys. For a while it was like we broke every new signing.

CM

Klopp spent more assembling the title winning team than we've currently spent with Ole.

wolvored

We’ve still spent the guts of 300 million euros. Net spend or not — it’s time to show what we’ve paid for.
I was going to say that. Ole has had the biggest spend of all our managers. He needs to deliver this season coming now.

wolvored

Sure, we should win trophies - but if I have to choose between an actual, real title challenge (where we have a realistic chance of winning the league with five games to go) or a distant 3rd and a Carabao Cup, I'll choose the title challenge every time.

We haven't seen either of these in the last four seasons, of course, so there's that...
So we finish 14 points off the top you will be happy? fecking hell your easily pleased :lol:

thundercats

It wouldn’t be bad if it meant we actually bought the players we wanted and needed. But we usually end up with 3rd or 4th choices, that is what it wrong. This season so far seems to be different though.

wolvored

Every player is an Ole signing, the good and the bad. It’s fools here who claim one or the other.

The vast majority of our signings have been good.
Yes Ole said that himself. He said he has the final say.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Yes, let us look at the net spend of a club that is rubbish at selling players, has literally loaned almost every single player they wanted to sell because nobody wanted to pay their transfer fees AND their inflated wages. That seems like an apt reflection of how much Ole has been backed.
We've still spent the money.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's been backed, the problem with the past few summers was leaving all the business until deadline day essentially and not getting the right start to the season. We also had a lot of turnover required into what is now a very young team. We are also useless at selling players.

We still have gaps though, notably a midfield that is very meh which is going to remain an issue this season. We should be a lot closer to the title this season of course if we add Varane to Sancho, but you need luck as well to get over the line. We should absolutely compete for all the cups though, but you need luck sometimes to actually win it and it might not necessarily mean Ole failed if we don't win a trophy.

sp_107

On top of that, our players or staff were fully paid.
Players/Staff took upto 70% pay cuts at some clubs like barcelona last year. So credit to our management as we also contributed a lot to NHS.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't think the net spend is a great indicator of how well Ole has done to be honest. We've been a terribly badly run club for a while, so that is a much more important factor.

However, after two and a half years, this season is most definitely the time to make a judgement on Ole. He's done well so far, it's just whether he's hit his ceiling.

I'd say all this speculation linking us to proper players for a change has less to do with backing Ole and more to do with the Glazers being under pressure. I mean, when the game in the calendar gets postponed because of protests, it's hard to ignore. And it's an added bonus that certain big clubs aren't in a position to compete for players with favourable contractual situations.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Same crap, different year. How about everyone tries a bit harder to be a grown up, rational football fan this time around?

This is because we're embarrassingly shite at selling players
The flip side to that coin. Despite not selling players for high fees United have still been the biggest spenders in Europe. Would we rather be a must sell to buy club and moan about that instead?

PoTMS

He's been backed, no doubt about it. Now he needs to deliver. Question is if we have another season like the last three, are we still content with Ole at the wheel?