Gaming PES 2019 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Android, iOS)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's fairly well established in elitist PES community circles that 2013 was the last great PES game. It looked and played a bit dodgy but it was a really tight game overall; the most similar experience to the old classic'easy to pick up, hard to master' arcade style experience.
PES 2013 was not a good game.

amolbhatia50k

Do you actually allow people to have their own opinion when it comes to PES or does everyone have to like it?
They have to like it. What kind of question is that?!

On a more serious note, I wouldn't care (not that I really do) if you preferred FIFA 18, but given you consider both of them to have 'bad gameplay', I wonder if you've ever come across a footy game you thought had good gameplay.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They have to like it. What kind of question is that?!

On a more serious note, I wouldn't care (not that I really do) if you preferred FIFA 18, but given you consider both of them to have 'bad gameplay', I wonder if you've ever come across a footy game you thought had good gameplay.
Not really. I liked FIFA games about 8-10 years ago, I think World Cup 2010 was the best they ever produced but then completely ruined that in FIFA 11. The best one after that was 14 on PS4 but they gradually made it worse after that too. Since 16 it has been unplayable.

PES6 was the best game of all previous generations.

What really spoiled FIFA and PES experience for me was getting into 2K about 4-5 years ago. I got a game that was realistic, fun to play, mimicked the real life basketball and had incredible presentation with just a few noticeable flaws. None of the football games come close to that.

kthanksbye

It's fairly well established in elitist PES community circles that 2013 was the last great PES game. It looked and played a bit dodgy but it was a really tight game overall; the most similar experience to the old classic'easy to pick up, hard to master' arcade style experience.
Wasn't aware of that, but come to think of it, it's true, beat Barca 3-2 over two legs and then lost 3-0 to Newcastle. :confused:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Not really. I liked FIFA games about 8-10 years ago, I think World Cup 2010 was the best they ever produced but then completely ruined that in FIFA 11. The best one after that was 14 on PS4 but they gradually made it worse after that too. Since 16 it has been unplayable.

What really spoiled FIFA and PES experience for me was getting into 2K about 4-5 years ago. I got a game that was realistic, fun to play, mimicked the real life basketball and had incredible presentation with just a few noticeable flaws. None of the football games come close to that.
I'm much the same, but now they've essentially fecked 2k by making the my career a story mode, and putting in an absurd amount of pay2win features.

Bojan11

Fifa 11 and Fifa 12 were good games after 2010.

I’m sure @Eddy_JukeZ would agree. It was really 14 when they moved to next gen that they started dumbing down the gameplay. Fifa 14 was a joke with everyone running down the wing and crossing it. I wouldn’t call that a good game.

For me the best Fifa games were 09 and 12.

Sarni

I’m sure @Eddy_JukeZ would agree. It was really 14 when they moved to next gen that they started dumbing down the gameplay. Fifa 14 was a joke with everyone running down the wing and crossing it. I wouldn’t call that a good game.

11 was all right but worse than World Cup which was annoying.

14 was fine IMO. They started getting worse with 15.

Sarni

I'm much the same, but now they've essentially fecked 2k by making the my career a story mode, and putting in an absurd amount of pay2win features.
Thankfully I don’t play MyCareer so it doesn’t bother me. I play almost exclusively MyLeague.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Never understood why people argue over which game they personally enjoy playing more.

Gameplay there looks fantastic. Haven't played PES in about 14 years. When I was a kid I loved the authenticity of the FIFA brand, though from 2002-2004 ish I preferred PES on PS2. Haven't bought either since 2009 to be honest
I agree with everything you just wrote. I think 2009 was the last one I played, too! I think I'll pick this one up because, for whatever reason, I've suddenly got into a PESsy mood.

I've recently been playing a patch on PES5 that has a load of classic teams which has been fun. I tried to play a PES6 patch called "History of Football" which has a load of classic teams but, unlike the PES5 one, has our 07-09 team but I can't get it to work. Has anyone here played either of them?

Eddy_JukeZ

Personally it was the move to frostbite engine and the latest 2 FIFA games.

They've made the gameplay very accessible.

I liked 16 and 15 the most.

amolbhatia50k

Forget 2K man. You're always going on about that. I just can't see how PES 6 is objectively better than PES 2018. Great for its time, sure.

Sarni

Forget 2K man. You're always going on about that. I just can't see how PES 6 is objectively better than PES 2018. Great for its time, sure.
It was just more fun to play. Maybe had something to do with the times but still, it was pure joy.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seems bit early doesn’t it?

dove

I am always excited about PES until I try the demo and realise that they didn't fix any of the issues like shooting and it generally looks like it's been stuck in the past for quite a few years now. Gonna try the demo ofc, any interesting updates/new features?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Konami are run by fecking idiots. What the hell are we suppose to gauge in 5min matches :lol::houllier: ? 5mins halves would have been better. This company doesn't help itself by stupid decisions like that

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
The game plays great, seems a touch more sim than last year and the ball physics feel really good too. but this 5 min games crap is my main criticism of FIFA demos over the years not enough time to settle in to a match especially with the more realistic pace for Pro evo. I also hope those crowd noises/atmosphere are just placeholders till the finished game cos they're rubbish. Other than that though I'm loving it.

Ainu

Tried a couple of games yesterday and I'm not sure about it. Something feels off compared to PES 2018, which was fantastic. But yeah it's hard to judge by playing such short matches, once you get going the game is already over.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Tried a couple of games yesterday and I'm not sure about it. Something feels off compared to PES 2018, which was fantastic. But yeah it's hard to judge by playing such short matches, once you get going the game is already over.
One thing that slightly mitigates the shitness of the 5 min games is that it's very quick to get a rematch going, I've started having a 'best out of 3' before changing opponents.

kouroux

One thing that slightly mitigates the shitness of the 5 min games is that it's very quick to get a rematch going, I've started having a 'best out of 3' before changing opponents.
How does it mitigate them ? I don't get it. 5mins matches is them hurting themselves because it gives you no time to settle in and this is how you lose interest. It forces you yo play like a maniac when the game screams for slow build-ups.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
In a way I do always feel like something about PES looks more realistic - despite the raves about FIFA s gfx. I prefer Konami s more natural looking player models and the other thing is probably the lighting and colors looking more natural to me. FIFA is too saturated and polished looking in a way.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
How does it mitigate them ? I don't get it. 5mins matches is them hurting themselves because it gives you no time to settle in and this is how you lose interest. It forces you yo play like a maniac when the game screams for slow build-ups.
I did say only slightly though, you can just hit rematch and get a game going right away after a game, there's just not as much of a break in between games so you can pretend it just halftime, don't get me wrong its still crap and ruins the flow of a game & a classic own goal from Konami but its the only thing I can think of that makes it less jarring.

kouroux

I did say only slightly though, you can just hit rematch and get a game going right away after a game, there's just not as much of a break in between games so you can pretend it just halftime, don't get me wrong its still crap and ruins the flow of a game & a classic own goal from Konami but its the only thing I can think of that makes it less jarring.
I get you. I suppose you went to look for any possible positive. I don't understand the logic behind a decision like that, unless it reduces the chances of gamers to notice major flaws...

Sweet Square

The game plays great, seems a touch more sim than last year and the ball physics feel really good too. but this 5 min games crap is my main criticism of FIFA demos over the years not enough time to settle in to a match especially with the more realistic pace for Pro evo. I also hope those crowd noises/atmosphere are just placeholders till the finished game cos they're rubbish. Other than that though I'm loving it.
Have to tried going into the option and changing the game time ? I haven't play the demo yet but past demos have had the option of changing the game time .

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I get you. I suppose you went to look for any possible positive. I don't understand the logic behind a decision like that, unless it reduces the chances of gamers to notice major flaws...
Yeah, I don't know why they done it either as the last two demos had the option to change the game time from 5 mins to 10+. I usually stop playing the old game once the demo comes out but I'm not sure with this one and its shit cos its got nothing to do with how the game plays which is great.

Have to tried going into the option and changing the game time ? I haven't play the demo yet but past demos have had the option of changing the game time .
That's one of the first things I did but it's locked to 5 mins :(

Eriku

I was at a youth cup in Denmark a few weeks ago and Konami had a tent set up with a bunch of screens and consoles for people to play on. I didn’t like PES’ leap to next gen after PES6, have stuck with FIFA since, but got to quite like it this time around. May very well give it a go.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
PES2018 really grew on me. Once you start playing with different teams in different situations you really appreciate how well the game plays. The Master League still wasn't right at all which was the main factor against it. Gameplay wise it's not perfect but is the best football game on the current gen for me. There's so much variation every game is different, and every team/set of players feels different.

Compared to FIFA and past PES games where you're basically just playing the same match over and over. The World Cup mode on FIFA was good but it was still very samey with the odd bit of randomness thrown in.

Not sure how I'll like PES without the CL licence. It shouldn't make too much difference but it was kind of the saving grace when you were playing through a season or Master League, as the way the league and cup fixtures were scheduled and structured made very little sense, so the CL is what bought the sense of realism to it. They're never going to catch FIFA with the online modes either so they really need to have focused on sorting that out.

In a way I do always feel like something about PES looks more realistic - despite the raves about FIFA s gfx. I prefer Konami s more natural looking player models and the other thing is probably the lighting and colors looking more natural to me. FIFA is too saturated and polished looking in a way.
I don't think FIFA looks realistic at all. Even when I've found it the better game of the two. Everything happens way too fast to look realistic and there just isn't enough detail...from the actual graphics to the individuality of what is happening. It all just looks generic. Also when you have players doing skills and flicks it looks utterly ridiculous. It's unrealistic enough when Ronaldo rainbow flicks the ball over someone's head, then 360's around 3 consecutive defenders whilst in fast forward, let alone when he does it with the ball seemingly glued generically to his body the whole time.

PES still looks too robotic, especially when players are turning, but they do have the physics right, where the ball and player are always separate.

Last year still had the usual problem where if you combined the best features of both you'd have an excellent game, but both on their own had baffling flaws which never seem to be looked at. So expecting similar this year.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Ok so a nice surprise is that online games are set to at least 5 mins per half, I played my first online game when I got home from work and it seemed way longer that the games against the cpu, so like the saddo that I am I timed the next one took just under 15 mins and I wasn't watching replays or anything like that. @Sweet Square @kouroux

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

Is it only me or does anyone find the ball physics to be a little 'floaty'? It's a weird motion where the shot sort of floats like a guided missile but at 0.9 speed. The passing is still like a puck on an ice rink too.

kouroux

Ok so a nice surprise is that online games are set to at least 5 mins per half, I played my first online game when I got home from work and it seemed way longer that the games against the cpu, so like the saddo that I am I timed the next one took just under 15 mins and I was watching replays or anything like that. @Sweet Square @kouroux
Good to know. Will test it later. Cheers

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Is it only me or does anyone find the ball physics to be a little 'floaty'? It's a weird motion where the shot sort of floats like a guided missile but at 0.9 speed. The passing is still like a puck on an ice rink too.
2016-2018 were exactly like this so if they've not rectified it I'm not buying it.