Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope we take him to the Euros. He was excellent and his technical ability is something else. I would actually start him at the Euros from what I saw in the League Cup final. Seems like a artistic player that we really could do with. I hope Guardiola plays him regularly in the league from here on in.

izec

He had a great game. Showed he's just not a CM with intelligent drifting along the right.

Really should be playing somewhere week in week out. If he was he'd be making the England squad ahead of likes of Winks.
Winks is overrated by some, he hasnt got half the talent Foden's got. Foden is really a great talent, he has that x factor. He is a baller and wouldnt look out of place in any NT

LVGSdive

He had a great game. Showed he's just not a CM with intelligent drifting along the right.

Really should be playing somewhere week in week out. If he was he'd be making the England squad ahead of likes of Winks.
He played on the right in a front 3 in the U-17 world cup final and was unplayable. It's not a new position for him.

Classical Mechanic

I've always said that his best position is as an inside forward but I think he can play as an 8 very well also. Look at his full appearance in the CL in that position -

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...eague-2019-2020-Dinamo-Zagreb-Manchester-City

England need 8s more than insides forwards at the moment.

LVGSdive

Yep, hard to see who he'd replace: Maddison, Grealish, Henderson, Alli, AOC, Mount, Winks, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley, Rice, Dier, Delph, Chalobah, Ward-Prowse, Rice, Longstaff and our very own JLingz are all players who would be ahead of him in the midfield pecking order.
It's hard to see how many of them are better than Foden, to be honest; I'd probably say Henderson, Grealish, and Maddison. Although some play in different positions and have different roles.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
From what I've heard, he should be of similar level of talent as Sancho during their younger years, but with limited game time, he just couldn't develop as well as others like Maddison or Grealish, if he continues playing bit role. City has to play him more.

Last edited:

ex and

I don’t usually watch City, but it was a final. I especially watched Foden. He’s an intelligent player who reads the game well, he keeps it simple, which means he retains the ball well And his passing accuracy is high.
When his self confidence increases and he attacks more direct he’ll be a star. I wish he had him.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Absolutely fantastic English talent. Could go on to be one of the best players in his position in the world.
But enough about Brandon Williams, Phil Foden was invisible today. Came against a lad who is getting minutes regularly and it showed.

SAFMUTD

Absolutely fantastic English talent. Could go on to be one of the best players in his position in the world.
But enough about Brandon Williams, Phil Foden was invisible today. Came against a lad who is getting minutes regularly and it showed.
Hahahaha really got a laugh out of me there.

I dont get all the excitement for Foden either, he seemed like nothing special today.

fps

Foden is an incredible talent. But he's not a right winger and it was a terrible decision by Guardiola to play him there.

mu4c_20le

Really surprised Pep gave him a start today, looked completely overawed by the occasion.

Hoof the ball

Usually these kind of threads are full of confirmation bias. People show up and go, 'Aha! Told you so', when a player performs poorly, but rarely ever are to be found when a good performance happens.

He didn't look particularly good today, but it's naive to rule him out as massively overrated when (1) the entirety of the City team were equally poor, and (2) the fact that he was played mostly out of natural position.

Players rarely look good when the team performance overall is poor.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
When he moved inside in last 20 he looked very good I thought. Guy is a clear talent.

Amarsdd

I have only seen about 4-5 games of him, but he seems technically brilliant but missing a bit of bite. Sort of player that looks great in the right condition and system will but if a bit of those things go awry then won't look more than an average player.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Not necessarily saying he isn't a good player, but I've never actually seen him play well.

GazTheLegend

Obviously a fantastic player, won't judge him on one game at Old Trafford, am sure he'll have better days in future (hopefully never against us thoufh)

Irrational.

City is not the right environment for him. If he had any sense he wouldn't have signed that contract, looking at how Sancho has thrived away from the Etihad. City's track record in bringing through youth is nothing short of crap for all they've invested in their self-entitled 'Elite Development Squad' and the substantial sums spent on the training facilities.

Josep Dowling

Had a poor game today but anyone trying to say he won’t be a talent needs their eyes inspecting. He should become a great player.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Still on track to be a rotation option for Mark Noble in a couple of years' time.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Big W here.

lumeyes

Massively overrated.
Is it the first time you've watched him play? He is going to be a massive player, all things being equal.

Foden is an incredible talent. But he's not a right winger and it was a terrible decision by Guardiola to play him there.
Glad you pinpointed the problem. A great, young talent can look out of sort when played in the wrong position. It's the same issue with playing Gomes as a winger. I wished City would make the mistake of letting him go, to avoid him being a headache in the future. Two pre-seasons ago I saw him weave around like a jelly fish and can bet on him being a fantastic player, if injuries, bad luck and attitude don't get in the way.

SAFMUTD

No City player did...does that mean that none of them is special?
Yes that’s exactly what it means.

Ffs mate you know what Im saying, 32 games in EPL and he has a grand total of 1 goal and 2 assists, not exactly the numbers you expect to see when talking about one of the most promising youngsters in the world, as he’s been mentioned.

Pep's Suit

He's a talent but obviously there's huge disconnect between fans and modern players so City fanbase constantly overrate him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd move if I were him, the competition is so fierce at City, it's nearly impossible for a kid to break into that team. If he wants to play for City he's got time for that later in his career. Right now he should be playing regularly, he's got the ability to be doing so at another club.
Yes that’s exactly what it means.

Ffs mate you know what Im saying, 32 games in EPL and he has a grand total of 1 goal and 2 assists, not exactly the numbers you expect to see when talking about one of the most promising youngsters in the world, as he’s been mentioned.
To be fair, aren't a lot of those appearances 2-5 minute cameos? Williams (760) already has more PL minutes this season than Foden (724) has in his whole career.

thepolice123

Can't recall Foden doing anything substantial but he did skin Williams at the first chance he got. Personally I think he is a big talent, plenty of senior players played worse yesterday.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s good already. Compare him to our squad players. He’s way better. What else can you say. He’s a greenwood/sancho level talent and if he stays focused he could very well be a top player. It seems like city really believe in him. It’ll be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years

Last edited:

Snafu17

Can't recall Foden doing anything substantial but he did skin Williams at the first chance he got. Personally I think he is a big talent, plenty of senior players played worse yesterday.
Pretty sure that was Mahrez. Williams was pretty comfortable until Mahrez came on and Foden moved into the middle.

Teja

He's excellent and one bad game doesn't change that at all. Has been incredible whenever he's been given a chance, should just go out on loan, would walk into most PL midfields.