Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't get all the over the top praise, yeah he is excellent talent but at least should wait for him to play well for first team before going with all the "excellent player, awesome player" praises.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He is very overrated. I have watched several games of him and he is a tidy player for sure with good skills but not much more than that.
I think it's quite clear you've only 'watched several games'.

cyberman

He shouldnt be anywhere near the England squad regardless of his potential. He just isnt ready

cyberman

I don't get all the over the top praise, yeah he is excellent talent but at least should wait for him to play well for first team before going with all the "excellent player, awesome player" praises.
Does seem we are being told hes a great player rather than being shown it.
How much can he actually show in late sub appearances for people to claim his greatness? Posters in here told us Gomes was a cert for that status as well

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He is alright, nothing special and defo nowhere near close what Guardiola said about him
He may be overrated, but if you're saying he's a tidy player with good skills and that's it, after you admit you've only seen him several times, it suggests that you don't really even know what type of player he is.

stepic

he's not great on the wing, he's a midfield player at the end of the day.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He may be overrated, but if you're saying he's a tidy player with good skills and that's it, after you admit you've only seen him several times, it suggests that you don't really even know what type of player he is.
I have seen him enough to form an opinion, you can disagree with it but it doesn't mean I'm wrong. How much more than "several times" do I need to watch him then :lol: ?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I have seen him enough to form an opinion, you can disagree with it but it doesn't mean I'm wrong. How much more than "several times" do I need to watch him then :lol: ?
No, but it does suggest you do not know what type of player he is, which then leads me to believe your opinion is not especially informed. I'd like to think that most fair-minded people would agree that you need to watch a player, especially one still a teenager, more than 'several times' to be able to offer up an opinion as categorical as 'very overrated', but maybe that's just me.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
This thread is brilliant.

17 pages of people complaining that Foden will never get enough chances at City to ever play for England. Finally rumours emerge that he's going to receive his first England call-up and the first replies are people telling us they don't get the hype. :lol:

Pick a side, guys!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No, but it does suggest you do not know what type of player he is, which then leads me to believe your opinion is not especially informed. I'd like to think that most fair-minded people would agree that you need to watch a player, especially one still a teenager, more than 'several times' to be able to offer up an opinion as categorical as 'very overrated', but maybe that's just me.
That makes sense.

But then again there are posters here who write off and then praise players on a weekly basis. The same who stated that Rashford was only rated due to him being English are the ones rueing his absence

Gasolin

I like Foden. I don't know how good he will become but he clearly has something. Hopefully it never works out for him at City as that would mean bad business for us, but otherwise, he's an exciting player to watch and can do some magic.

kouroux

Very overrated based on what Guardiola said about him, of that I have absolutely no doubt. Quantify "more than several times" then, I'd like to know what I'm actually missing. I haven't seen him be more than a tidy player with good skills so far. The way City fans and Guardiola talk him, I've always expected a little more but so far I haven't seen it, maybe he will in the future.

In Rainbows

Foden is really good and for the few chances he's gotten, he's done really well with them. Can't ask for much more from a player who doesn't get to play as much and has his playing time in spots as opposed to being given constant time on the pitch.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He is very overrated. I have watched several games of him and he is a tidy player for sure with good skills but not much more than that.

I disagree to a certain extent. I think he is an elite talent who has stagnated by not being exposed to regular first team football and as a result is having to play within himself or under heightened anxiety because he knows he isn't going to get a look in again for extended periods.. it isn't the ideal climate in which to grow as a player.

Next season is crucial, if he has another stunted season like this one, then the analysis in the video becomes defunct.. as that was based on the premise, he would be playing more regularly by now. Doesn't matter how talented a young player is - first team minutes are vital, they help evolve boy to man. He needs to be more selfish.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Very overrated based on what Guardiola said about him, of that I have absolutely no doubt. Quantify "more than several times" then, I'd like to know what I'm actually missing. I haven't seen him be more than a tidy player with good skills so far. The way City fans and Guardiola talk him, I've always expected a little more but so far I haven't seen it, maybe he will in the future.
It's a bit of a disingenuous point to use Guardiola's ludicrous and obviously hyperbolic statement as the touchstone for the validity of your opinion, as obviously Foden is not the most talented player Pep has ever seen; just as Claudio Bravo's debut performance in a City shirt was not actually one of the best performances he's ever witnessed. You don't strike me as a gullible person so I don't believe you took Pep's comments about Foden at face value.

You can't really dispute the idea that you need to watch a player more than several times to have an informed opinion on their abilities. If you accept the fact that Foden has had good and bad games in a City shirt, then surely you accept the fact that watching him several times does not give you an informed opinion on his abilities - at least not to the extent that you can be confident in giving such categorical statements as 'very overrated' or 'very underrated' if you wanted to adopt an alternate approach.

He's class although being wasted at City, yesterday did nothing to change my opinion he's a special talent. Love how City made such a big deal of an academy player starting in the derby though, for us it's a regular occurrence

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In all honesty I never really brought that notion, you shouldn't need to see a player play endless first team games to know if they have a chance or not.

I remember i wrote off Lukaku's chances of being a world class striker within 5 minutes of his Chelsea debut, it was very clear straight away he lacked the technical tools to reach those heights.

kouroux

It's a bit of a disingenuous point to use Guardiola's ludicrous and obviously hyperbolic statement as the touchstone for the validity of your opinion, as obviously Foden is not the most talented player Pep has ever seen; just as Claudio Bravo's debut performance in a City shirt was not actually one of the best performances he's ever witnessed. You don't strike me as a gullible person so I don't believe you took Pep's comments about Foden at face value.

You can't really dispute the idea that you need to watch a player more than several times to have an informed opinion on their abilities. If you accept the fact that Foden has had good and bad games in a City shirt, then surely you accept the fact that watching him several times does not give you an informed opinion on his abilities - at least not to the extent that you can be confident in giving such categorical statements as 'very overrated' or 'very underrated' if you wanted to adopt an alternate approach.
I'm not disputing that at all but just how many games equal "more than several" times and are a fair number to assess a player according to you ?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’ll admit I’ve only seen him a few times, but I haven’t yet seen anything that makes me think he’s much better than the rest of his age group. That said, I’m sure he really is a special talent as I can’t imagine Pep having him there otherwise. But surely he should be loaned out for a season or two to get minutes. World of good it did for guys like Mount and Abraham for instance.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Good player with a great engine, I actually think his movement between lines was quite clever, but most of his team mates fail to spot him when he totally got into space.

Not going to become a generation talent, but he's going to be good enough to spend his career at top clubs.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I'm not disputing that at all but just how many games equal "more than several" times and are a fair number to assess a player according to you ?
This is a bizarre line of questioning which you know full well does not have an answer. You have watched a teenage footballer play 'several times' and feel that has informed you enough to say he is 'very overrated'. I dispute that view. That does not mean I have some magic formula to tell you exactly how much you have to watch him, only that 'several times' is manifestly not enough to be able to confidently deliver such an unconditional view.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I’ll admit I’ve only seen him a few times, but I haven’t yet seen anything that makes me think he’s much better than the rest of his age group. That said, I’m sure he really is a special talent as I can’t imagine Pep having him there otherwise. But surely he should be loaned out for a season or two to get minutes. World of good it did for guys like Mount and Abraham for instance.
I actually don't think a loan spell would have benefited him, but he should have been given much more minutes this season. The amount of times Gundogan plays as an #8, especially since it has become clear the league has gone, has irritated me and many City fans. Same goes for Garcia in defence.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I actually don't think a loan spell would have benefited him, but he should have been given much more minutes this season. The amount of times Gundogan plays as an #8, especially since it has become clear the league has gone, has irritated me and many City fans. Same goes for Garcia in defence.
I've always been intreged about the prospect of Foden playing deeper, similar to what Gilmour has been doing since he's come in our side, mainly because thinking for the national team we badly need to produce a player who can dictate a games tempo and he seems our best bet.

Could he develop into that type of player? I could be wrong but I swear he played that position in our Charity Shield clash last season.

kidbob

I agree with this post. Nothing wrong with loaning them out when they aren't yet vital to the first team. Exactly how I feel about Gomes and to a lesser extent Chong. Better them getting regular game time at a Championship level than the odd cameo and u23s football. People forget that it's usually freaks like Rooney, Ronaldo and Mesii etc that are ready to contribute at such a young age. It's also why someone like Greenwood and Williams for us should be allowed bad games because it's not 'normal' for players of that age to be undisputed first teamers.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In all honesty I never really brought that notion, you shouldn't need to see a player play endless first team games to know if they have a chance or not.

I remember i wrote off Lukaku's chances of being a world class striker within 5 minutes of his Chelsea debut, it was very clear straight away he lacked the technical tools to reach those heights.
I would say that's nonsense and that's trying to put as respectfully as possible.

Shit loads of young players who dominated youth football failed to step up at senior level, likewise players who weren't very highly rated as generational talents went on to become great players.

Forget young player, you can't judge any player within 5 mins. You can't even judge within just few games either.

kidbob

I would say that's nonsense and that's trying to put as respectfully as possible.

Shit loads of young players who dominated youth football failed to step up at senior level, likewise players who weren't very highly rated as generational talents went on to become great players.

Forget young player, you can't judge any player within 5 mins. You can't even judge within just few games either.
Agree, watching Bojan and Janujaz for their first 10 games and you'd be convinced they'd be all time greats (considering they definitely had talent) whereas someone like Odegaard looks amazing now but didn't have the best of starts at the top level.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Why wouldn’t it have benefitted him to play as regular at another club this season instead of making the odd appearance here and there at City? I’m not a trainer, but I’m struggling to see how a few cameos at City is better for his development than regular football somewhere else. Again, just look at what it did to Mount and Abraham.

fps

Every time Gundogan plays, City are missing something in the middle. Long may it continue.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I've always been intreged about the prospect of Foden playing deeper, similar to what Gilmour has been doing since he's come in our side, mainly because thinking for the national team we badly need to produce a player who can dictate a games tempo and he seems our best bet.

Could he develop into that type of player? I could be wrong but I swear he played that position in our Charity Shield clash last season.
I don't see him as that type of player really. It would be a waste of his talent to play him in a deeper role. He needs to be getting on the ball in the final third as much as possible. We'll have better options if we want someone to sit deeper too, I don't think Foden would excel in that role unlike Gilmour who seems like it's natural to him.

Why wouldn’t it have benefitted him to play as regular at another club this season instead of making the odd appearance here and there at City? I’m not a trainer, but I’m struggling to see how a few cameos at City is better for his development than regular football somewhere else. Again, just look at what it did to Mount and Abraham.
There's not many people Foden's age playing regular first-team football at Premier League level. What team do you think he'd be certain to play for regularly that would benefit him more than sporadic games with City, training with Silva, de Bruyne etc and being coached by Pep? Especially seen as he's going to be replacing Silva from next season, and City's style of football is likely to be fairly similar even after Pep, I'm not convinced a loan spell would have been better for him. I think people underestimate the risks of a loan-spell too.

SER19

Don't see it but he needs to move anyway. City will be buying all around them after their poor league season and Silva going too.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
No, you're not alone in that. Young player, played out of position, who struggled to get into the game. It happens. It didn't help that his more experienced teammates had an off-day and his manager seems reluctant to give him minutes in a role that would suit him.

He's a big talent and those adverse circumstances don't change that one bit.

Litch

Big talent, the big problem in the same way they lost another talent to Germany is they need to continue to rebuild and like other big teams whether they can accommodate a young player that's going to be indifferent for a few seasons. I think when you support a team that you play for, it can hinder your judgment (heart than head), he may have to move on and I wonder if he's going to fully get his opportunity....?

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
What Guardiola said about Foden being the best teen footballer he has ever seen is basically the same as Sir Alex calling Phil Jones the next Duncan Edwards.

Inigo Montoya

What Guardiola said about Foden being the best teen footballer he has ever seen is basically the same as Sir Alex calling Phil Jones the next Duncan Edwards.
:lol:
He ( SAF)never said that TBF.

He said he could be Utds best ever...which is kind of worse in many ways

Inigo Montoya

Haha I can’t figure out which one is worse to be fair.
Ok: Ronaldo, Rooney, Cantona,Robson, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Becks,Best, Law, Charlton,Rio, Irwin, Shmikes, Et al...
If anyone says Jones belongs in that group, I’d say you’re nuts