Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

SER19

:lol:
Think he believed his own hype. Massive own goal recreating the Gazza look and then playing like that.
That's the thing with stunts like that. Score a worldie and its an iconic tribute. Get subbed and you look like a damp miley Cyrus

Wayne's World

I think Foden is a very good player but not an outstanding player. He's playing in possibly the best squad in Europe who literally have 80% every game under possibly the greatest manager in the World in Pep. With England, you don't get that and you need to be more responsible with and without the ball.

I find him far too predictable coming inside all the time and looking to go for 1-2's on every run, he needs to change up his game in certain games.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Agreed, but the hype train innit? The wank fest after he pulled out one nice touch and then fecked up the finish was fun.
The hype surrounding him was nothing compared to the ridiculousness being spouted about Jack Grealish today. If you listened to Lee Dixon, you’d think Southgate was holding back Mane Garrincha from his 1st eleven, not a guy who’s spent a significant chunk of his career in the Championship.

The hype surrounding him was nothing compared to the ridiculousness being spouted about Jack Grealish today. If you listened to Lee Dixon, you’d think Southgate was holding back Mane Garrincha from his 1st eleven, not a guy who’s spent a significant chunk of his career in the Championship.
We’ll see once Grealish gets his start I guess.

RUCK4444

Yeah, Dixon at one point wanted Grealish to play ‘down the middle just so he could see more of the ball.’

I’ve never known a nation hype their players like the English.

Pickle85

Yeah, Dixon at one point wanted Grealish to play ‘down the middle just so he could see more of the ball.’

Yeah that was ludicrous. Also pissed me off when Jack held on to the ball and trying to o beat his man for no apparent reason in the 89th minute or whatever going back towards his own goal in the England half. O'Donnall or whatever his name was clearly got pissed off and chopped him and tbh I'd have liked to have gone on and done the same.

RooneyLegend

You need a Sancho or Rashford on each side in modern football. We will look back at this like we do at Scholes being played on the left.
Foden is not a right winger. He doesn't play well there
He'd play well there if the full back actually understood how to overlap.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Very high ceiling, but still in need of 2-3 years to understand the game and how to conceal his own limitations.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

That was hilarious. He came out with that line once it was clear that the much heralded introduction of Johan Grealish wasn’t having quite the advertised impact.

RooneyLegend

They should've played him down the middle and force fed him the ball.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I think Foden is a very good player but not an outstanding player. He's playing in possibly the best squad in Europe who literally have 80% every game under possibly the greatest manager in the World in Pep. With England, you don't get that and you need to be more responsible with and without the ball.

I find him far too predictable coming inside all the time and looking to go for 1-2's on every run, he needs to change up his game in certain games.
He’s a really good player and so is Grealish. But people aren’t happy with that, they have to heap unimaginable amounts of ‘genius’ hype on them. It’s silly.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He'd play well there if the full back actually understood how to overlap.
This is a huge problem for England, and although Sancho is being fecked over, it's not going to be much different with him out there, I think.

With such a poor midfield behind them and no quality flanking, you need players who don't particularly need link up play to be effective. That's not Foden, and it's not Sancho either, unfortunately.

dal

Is almost half an hour on the pitch nothing to you ?
Jack got 27 minutes and looked a lot more threatening than Mount.

next game is in fewer days and I expect Sancho, Rashford and Grealish all to start.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Jack got 27 minutes and looked a lot more threatening than Mount.

next game is in fewer days and I expect Sancho, Rashford and Grealish all to start.
If they do and they all play well, you can guarantee they will be dropped to the bench again for the next match with Sterling, Kane and Foden all rested and “fresh”.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Still don't understand why he's suddenly been parachuted to be a starter for England. Greenwood wasn't after his excellent season last year. Brainless call by Southgate. Play more reliable performers like Rahsford, Grealish and Sancho. Foden has learning to do.

Adcuth

Hed play better if he wasn't shoved out wide. He needs to play Central sterling and kane need fecking off as well as 1 of the dms. Dunno why Phillips and rice both needed to play 90 mins. Southgate is a joke

amolbhatia50k

Hed play better if he wasn't shoved out wide. He needs to play Central sterling and kane need fecking off as well as 1 of the dms. Dunno why Phillips and rice both needed to play 90 mins. Southgate is a joke
He shouldn't play. And he doesn't play central because he's not ready to do so. Pep also believes that to be the case. That's why he's a side attacker right now.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Still don't understand why he's suddenly been parachuted to be a starter for England. Greenwood wasn't after his excellent season last year. Brainless call by Southgate. Play more reliable performers like Rahsford, Grealish and Sancho. Foden has learning to do.
Rashford had a terrible end to last season and honestly I'd selfishly prefer it if he didn't play much. Grealish is coming off an injury.

Sancho is the only wild card here. But I don't recall him ever turning it up in an English jersey unlike the first two names.

Bwuk

He’s over rated. Started about 15 games for City in the league and he’s somehow the greatest young player around.

Sancho should be ahead of him, and if Kane wants to keep pretending he’s a 10, so should Greenwood.

amolbhatia50k

Rashford had a terrible end to last season and honestly I'd selfishly prefer it if he didn't play much. Grealish is coming off an injury.

Sancho is the only wild card here. But I don't recall him ever turning it up in an English jersey unlike the first two names.
Sancho isn't a wildcard. He's much better and proven than Foden.

Grealish is fit and a better player too. Rashford despite his not so great form always makes things happen, he's unpredictable and the kind of player, like Sancho, with skill and trickery that England need. Foden is too raw and undeveloped. Like Greenwood he needs time. But the hype machine and a few CL games and have turned him into something else apparently.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, it's terrible management to not even play Sancho, can understand why Rashford isn't starting, his form was terrible and he is carrying a injury which makes it hard to select him when you have other players in good form or had good season.

Sancho had brilliant second half of the season, he was in great form. Grealish was arguably the best player in PL before his injury. Both should be playing instead of Sterling and Foden.

dal

In my eyes Foden has played well and he looks good but we will probably get more change out of a more proven lineup.

————--——Kane——————
Rashford—-Grealish—Sterling
————-Rice——Phillips/Mount

Regardless though Rashford, Grealish and Sancho should all start against Czech Republic and if they do I believe we score more than 1 goal.

I mean yes Mount and Foden are good but they don’t have much experience and they can always be used as impact subs.

Maddison maybe feeling a little aggrieved at this point.

Abraxas

I think he did well enough. Obviously he didn't play in a way that matches the hype or even club form.

But I think it's partly tactical. He's right of a three, surely the manager has to tell him he doesn't want him picking the ball up in our defensive third.

Then we have Harry Kane clogging things up, Mount who has some similar skills pushing into similar areas and full backs that are seemingly told not to get forward. James seemed to do an early AWB impression which was really strange. All Foden's link up was in non dangerous areas, partly because the ball was moving through the team at snails pace.

He's a really good talent but this team is not functioning.

Sir Marcus

Great talent but completely overhyped.

'Levels above' all other English young players apparently despite the fact that Mason mount has been comfortably better.

Hulksmash

Foden is overrated as hell. He isn't that fast and isn't even good at dribbling. Pep setup makes him shine.

Saka Sterling Sancho are ahead of him.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Foden is overrated as hell. He isn't that fast and isn't even good at dribbling. Pep setup makes him shine.

Saka Sterling Sancho are ahead of him.
Foden's dribbling is his best asset, you clearly haven't watched him.

Remember the geese

I feel that he comes with more hype than Sancho, though that's probably because he is more known to the English audience. It also helps that the team he plays for are very successful. As it is, I think that him and Sancho are a similar level of talent and that we struck a bit of a bargain there. In my opinion, Greenwood is the biggest talent out of all of them.

ryadmahrez

I think people are giving him a hard time. He has played 95%of his professional career out on the left, pushing Sterling out of the starting line up this year at city. Comes in at the England set up, gets pushed out to the right where he never really played to basically accommodate the same Sterling. On top of that England is far more left side dominant with Shaw and Mount. So doesn’t really dominate, plays 2 times 60 minutes and is never seen again and then gets called overrated by everyone. Very harsh.

Frank Sinatra Fan

In my eyes Foden has played well and he looks good but we will probably get more change out of a more proven lineup.

————--——Kane——————
Rashford—-Grealish—Sterling
————-Rice——Phillips/Mount

Regardless though Rashford, Grealish and Sancho should all start against Czech Republic and if they do I believe we score more than 1 goal.

I mean yes Mount and Foden are good but they don’t have much experience and they can always be used as impact subs.

Maddison maybe feeling a little aggrieved at this point.
Mount just won UCL and assisted Chelsea's goal. Really good performance.

M Bison

Supports
York City
People seriously saying he’s overrated, is that simply because he’s not in the starting 11 for England?!

cyberman

People seriously saying he’s overrated, is that simply because he’s not in the starting 11 for England?!
Saying he is overrated isn't saying he's a bad player. People were laughing at Sancho getting compared to him on here. Some of the hype got waaay over the top.

laughtersassassin

Himself Sancho and Greenwood have world class potential.

Sancho is the furthest ahead right now due to starting his career so much earlier.

Greenwood a year younger than the other two so is also doing well.

If I was to guess by the ends of their careers
Foden will be considered the best then Sancho and then Greenwood.

A large part of that will like be that I suspect
city to maintain their dominance and unfortunately expect us to be up and down a lot still.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Am I right in saying he hasn't had a single minute of action since the Scotland game?