Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
His first touch is just magestic at times. Could be a future ballon d'Or winner, unfortunately.
Real air of Rooney about him, not in style, but in that he's gonna be England's best player this generation and rack up huge numbers.

Looks an amazing player, which is sickening.
I don’t think there’s an air of Rooney about him at all to be honest. I know they’re totally different types of player but the hype around Rooney as a youngster was enormous, people must have forgotten.

Foden is a very talented player who started out at an absurdly stacked team (which helps a lot) and is also coming through as one of a number of young England stars, some of whom are debatably on his level. That wasn’t the case with Rooney, he was clearly something unique from his earliest days. I actually don’t think he became as good a player as he promised to be, even though he had a great career.

MU655

Foden, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Bellingham, Rice

I predict Southgate will screw up in the Euros. Uninspiring football that has led us to struggle in quite a lot of qualifier matches lately.

Honestly, I would like us to change to Potter if Southgate goes. He has shown that he is attack-minded and is not afraid to play youth. Think he would suit this young team best.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I predict Southgate will screw up in the Euros. Uninspiring football that has led us to struggle in quite a lot of qualifier matches lately.

Honestly, I would like us to change to Potter if Southgate goes. He has shown that he is attack-minded and is not afraid to play youth. Think he would suit this young team best.
I mean I find that people including me forget a deadly player as Saka from Arsenal which just shows how much quantity there is to Englands quality for once.

In a year or 2 time England may see more CB'S being developed or improve like Ben Godfrey and Ben White - which is the last real place we need some quality in imo.

I really want to only give Southgate one chance to fail because there's plenty other managers that could do work with this national team.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If we don't win a tournament with this generation I'm not sure we ever will.

MU655

I mean I find that people including me forget a deadly player as Saka from Arsenal which just shows how much quantity there is to Englands quality for once.

In a year or 2 time England may see more CB'S being developed or improve like Ben Godfrey and Ben White - which is the last real place we need some quality in imo.

I really want to only give Southgate one chance to fail because there's plenty other managers that could do work with this national team.
Yes, we have quite a few others, as well. Lamptey is someone I could see becoming a skillful winger, also. Saka looks quality.

I could see Alexander-Arnold becoming a midfielder. Smith-Rowe looks pretty good, also.

Centre back does seem to be lacking. And I can't think of a left back, either.

Southgate was fine for the last World Cup when the team was lacking, but we need better for this upcoming squad. I actually hope we move on regardless for the next world cup.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yes, we have quite a few others, as well. Lamptey is someone I could see becoming a skillful winger, also. Saka looks quality.

I could see Alexander-Arnold becoming a midfielder. Smith-Rowe looks pretty good, also.

Centre back does seem to be lacking. And I can't think of a left back, either.

Southgate was fine for the last World Cup when the team was lacking, but we need better for this upcoming squad. I actually hope we move on regardless for the next world cup.
Luke Shaw is still only 25.

Posh Red

Agree on Potter and I’ve felt that way for quite a while now. I reckon England would play great football under him. Also for the press coverage the headlines will just write themselves.

the chameleon

Southgate will stop us from winning a major international trophy both as a player and as a manager. Surely that has never been done before at international level?

Haddock

He's a mini-Messi. The goal he scored yesterday was astonishing. What strength and balance to ragdoll Ben White!

Classical Mechanic

This was the goal. He'll probably score more like it as his confidence grows. He nearly scored one against Dortmund or PSG in the CL recently and got one against France in the u21 Euros

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He's a mini-Messi. The goal he scored yesterday was astonishing. What strength and balance to ragdoll Ben White!
Um, I don’t want to spoil the party, but he just ran in a straight line, quite quickly. A good goal but nothing like Messi.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Best best English talent since Rooney.

But no, Rooney was more hyped when he was young. I remembered he was being compared with Pele and was England hope for international trophy.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's a lot stronger and quicker than he looks. He's got a low centre of gravity that means he's strong even when running which is rare.

A fantastic player, itll be interesting to see where he ends up when Guardiola does jack it in. He seems at best on the LW at the moment.

izec

The Messi comparisons are a bit over the top. Just because they both dribble, they arent that similar, talent and style wise. He is a bit of an hybrid style wise though, like a more direct and goalscoring Iniesta. Will be interesting to see how and where he develops. Wonderful player though

cyberman

The Messi comparisons are a bit over the top. Just because they both dribble, they arent that similar, talent and style wise. He is a bit of an hybrid style wise though, like a more direct and goalscoring Iniesta. Will be interesting to see how and where he develops. Wonderful player though
A bit over the top!?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Style and talent wise Gascoigne is probably one of the nearest comparisons, rather than Rooney, Messi, Iniesta. Though I don't think he's quite as talented as Gascoigne was.

Style and talent wise Gascoigne is probably one of the nearest comparisons, rather than Rooney, Messi, Iniesta. Though I don't think he's quite as talented as Gascoigne was.
I think you are right. But if Foden can be professional dedicated and get lucky with injuries then whether he’s as talented as Gazza won’t matter.

exciting.

Wilt

He’s fast, agile, quick thinking and very talented.... but he’s also very young, so still early days.

Just happy he plays for England.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The cnut has done his hair like Gazza Euro 96.

What's he about.
Not sure, but I’ve been reliably informed for years that we are supposed to be angry about this sort of thing and question his focus.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Best best English talent since Rooney.

But no, Rooney was more hyped when he was young. I remembered he was being compared with Pele and was England hope for international trophy.
The best English talent since Rooney is Harry Kane. Foden is good and has a lot of potential but he is getting ridiculously over hyped.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don’t think he’s as talented as Rooney. He’s ‘prettier’ than Rooney but Rooney was a force of nature in his early career. I’m still not convinced Foden will end up better than Greenwood by the end of their careers. I still think Greenwood has all the attributes to be one of the worlds best.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The best English talent since Rooney is Harry Kane. Foden is good and has a lot of potential but he is getting ridiculously over hyped.
I regarded Kane as best English player since Rooney. Foden I see him more as talent.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Not sure, but I’ve been reliably informed for years that we are supposed to be angry about this sort of thing and question his focus.
The reaction to his haircut versus others is very telling.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The hype for him is out of control holy shit. 9 goals and 5 assists playing as a forward for Pep's City in the league. Only Kane had fewer touches for England today. He had a few genuinely very good performances here and there for City, sure, and is a terrific young player of course. Is he some other-worldly talent? feck no. I see him being compared to Rooney here? Are you fecking kidding me? I see people saying he is on a different level to Sancho as a talent (presumably because they think Foden is 18 and Sancho is 25, when in reality they are both 21) and Sancho has been tearing up a top league for 3 years while Foden had his first decent season that was still not on par with either of Sancho's past 2 years. Southgate starting him because he was starting for City by the end of the season (in a completely different system, pretty much as a false 9, and in the most attacker friendly coaching system imaginable that can't be replicated by Southgate and England). This is insane.

He's a good payer, sure. Very good u21 player. Is he better than Grealish, Sancho, Rashford as a wide player? No, of course not, not based on anything they've shown until now in their careers. Sterling had a bad season for City and Foden was deservedly ahead of him, but normal Sterling is ahead of him too. Maybe he'll get there. But let's not say he's something that he isn't yet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was poor yesterday.

I'd either play Sancho ahead of him to or move Sterling to the right with Grealish/Rashford on the left, both are a bigger threat.